Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2562694

Subject: "College Football Thursday-Friday" Previous topic | Next topic
will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 12:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"College Football Thursday-Friday"

Thursday
(9) Tennessee vs. App State
(19) Louisville vs. Charlotte

Friday
(8) Stanford vs. Kansas State
(12) Michigan State vs. Furman
(23) Baylor vs. Northwestern State

--------

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
more:
Sep 01st 2016
FINALLY. It's here.
Sep 01st 2016
LOL ya know?
Sep 01st 2016
lol
Sep 02nd 2016
Espn insider... McShay top prospects to watch this weekend
Sep 01st 2016
gooooooo appalachian
Sep 01st 2016
Only took muschamp a couple months to install his offense
Sep 01st 2016
really expected Dobbs to hit the ground running tonight
Sep 01st 2016
that interception was one of the dumbest throws I've ever seen
Sep 01st 2016
      we were too appalled at the throw to celebrate the pick
Sep 01st 2016
Satterfield & Lamb FORGOT ABOUT THE CLOCK
Sep 01st 2016
Terrible clock management, no excuse for that
Sep 01st 2016
Haven't heard Neyland this loud in years
Sep 01st 2016
People can get hysterically loud when they are nervous
Sep 01st 2016
Troy Williams first start for UTAH....
Sep 01st 2016
just daggerous FG miss by Vandy followed by a deep bomb FG by USC, shees...
Sep 01st 2016
That Vandy offense is terrible and I doubt it improves much
Sep 01st 2016
gotdamn season nearly over before it started.
Sep 02nd 2016
The missed extra point helped!!
Sep 02nd 2016
      really disappointing
Sep 02nd 2016
      A night where just about anything and everything went wrong
Sep 02nd 2016
           He was strangely calm and mellow during the halftime interview
Sep 02nd 2016
                that was just a state of shock.
Sep 02nd 2016
SEC East was trash last year
Sep 02nd 2016
WTF Vols?
Sep 02nd 2016
minnesota coach is beyond dumb
Sep 02nd 2016
that was..interesting
Sep 02nd 2016
      Yep
Sep 03rd 2016
      well you'd think he'd like to work somewhere else after minny
Sep 03rd 2016
Stanford is a curious team this year
Sep 02nd 2016
I wish we had played them last year instead of Notre Dame
Sep 02nd 2016

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 12:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "more:"
In response to Reply # 0

Thursday
Vanderbilt vs. South Carolina
Minnesota vs. Oregon State

Friday
Colorado vs. Colorado State

--------

guru0509
Charter member
45353 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 01:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "FINALLY. It's here. "
In response to Reply # 0

getting a little tired of seeing the front page cluttered with nba posts from the same shitheads over and over

>Thursday
>(9) Tennessee vs. App State
>(19) Louisville vs. Charlotte
>
>Friday
>(8) Stanford vs. Kansas State
>(12) Michigan State vs. Furman
>(23) Baylor vs. Northwestern State

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

3xKrazy
Charter member
21582 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 06:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "LOL ya know?"
In response to Reply # 2

>getting a little tired of seeing the front page cluttered
>with nba posts from the same shitheads over and over

DeepAztheRoot
Member since Dec 19th 2003
13992 posts
Fri Sep-02-16 02:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "lol"
In response to Reply # 2

ha

<-Fear Ameer

guru0509
Charter member
45353 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 06:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Espn insider... McShay top prospects to watch this weekend "
In response to Reply # 0

Totally forgot Muschamp is coaching at SC now

Menu
ESPN
Sign In
SCORES

Insider
McShay's Prospect Watch for Week 1's best CFB games

Top RB prospects Leonard Fournette and Dalvin Cook will be on full display this weekend. Getty Images
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Email
comment
1:58 PM ET
Todd McShay
ESPN Senior Writer
College football season is finally here. Let's dig into some of the best games on the Week 1 slate -- LSU-Wisconsin, Georgia-North Carolina, USC-Alabama and Ole Miss-Florida State. Here's what I'll be watching for from some of the best 2017 NFL draft prospects in action this weekend:

LSU vs. Wisconsin

Saturday, 3:30 p.m. ET on ABC (in Green Bay)

Leonard Fournette is the most talented running back I've evaluated since Adrian Peterson. My preseason No. 1 overall prospect, Fournette has yet to miss a game in his LSU career, but how will he respond after tweaking his ankle during an August practice? He has averaged more than 6 yards per carry in his 25 college games. ... I'm interested to see how Tigers defensive coordinator Dave Aranda uses safety Jamal Adams. He'll likely get a lot of in-the-box and overhang responsibilities to maximize his run-stopping ability. Adams has elite instincts, especially when defending the run. ... Wisconsin RB Corey Clement is the Badgers' X factor. Coming off a disappointing and injury-riddled 2015, he's in peak shape and Wisconsin needs to ride him against LSU's stout defense. ... The Tigers' ceiling could come down to QB Brandon Harris' ability to get his two top-10 WRs, Malachi Dupre and Travin Dural, the ball downfield. Both have great size and jump-ball ability, averaging a combined 17.3 yards per catch last season.

Georgia vs. North Carolina

Saturday, 5:30 p.m. ET on ESPN (in Atlanta)

With coach Kirby Smart sticking with the Alabama QB philosophy and starting Greyson Lambert over the young pup Jacob Eason, you can bet Georgia's offense will center around RB Nick Chubb. We gave him a second-round grade coming off last season's knee injury, but he should get ample opportunity to boost his stock running behind an offensive line that features Greg Pyke, our sixth-rated guard. ... UNC starting QB Mitch Trubisky has thrown just 125 career passes in college, but he'll have some help. Caleb Peterson and Jon Heck, two veteran pro prospects along the O-line, figure to be an asset against a somewhat young Georgia D that lost talent in the front seven. ... Don't forget about Mack Hollins, our No. 6 WR who has elite big-play ability (24.8 yards per catch last year). How often will Hollins and Georgia's Dominick Sanders (No. 8 safety) match up against each other? Sanders has good ball skills, with nine interceptions and 11 pass breakups in his first two seasons.

USC vs. Alabama

Saturday, 8 p.m. ET on ABC (in Arlington, Texas)

The Trojans are loaded on offense, and it starts with WR JuJu Smith-Schuster. I can't wait to see him match up against a Nick Saban-coached defense. Smith-Schuster has explosive raw ability. He couldn't ask for a better stage to showcase improved consistency ... One of the matchups I'm most excited to watch: Alabama WR Calvin Ridley vs. USC CB Adoree' Jackson. These are two fantastic athletes -- Jackson has world-class speed, and Ridley profiles as an early-round pick down the road after posting 7 TDs as a freshman in 2015. Jackson has a chance to improve his second-round grade if he shows better recognition skills this season. This will be his first big test. ... Alabama is tied with LSU and Michigan for the most players (nine) in our preseason top 150. The one I'll be watching the closest on Saturday? TE O.J. Howard, who went off for 208 yards and 2 TDs in the national championship game. He needs to improve his route-running in 2016 to become a more consistent force and reach ceiling as a potential first-round pick.

Ole Miss vs. Florida State

Monday, 8 p.m. ET on ESPN (in Orlando)

After talking to Jimbo Fisher this offseason, it's clear he really likes this team, and the Seminoles will get a great test out of the gate. Dalvin Cook would be my top-ranked RB most years, but he's currently second on my board behind Fournette. A three-down back who makes defenders miss with subtle changes in direction and speed, Cook is electrifying in the open field. ... Cook will see plenty of Ole Miss S Tony Conner, who's coming off an injury-shortened 2015 season but has proven to be an exceptional run defender. Conner will have to do a great job of tackling in space against Cook. ... Chad Kelly (our No. 5 QB) has all of the physical tools, which gives him a high ceiling. But I need to see more consistency in his decision making and accuracy this season, and it starts on Monday against a Florida State defense that again has a ton of talent all over the field.

Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Email
comment
SPONSORED HEADLINES

Forget Your 401k If You Own A Home (Do This Instead)
Bills.com

How To Get More Energy (Do This Every Day)
Gundry MD
Comments
Police executive blasts Colin Kaepernick over socks
play
Kaepernick's pig socks will be 'difficult to justify' (1:31)
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Email
comment
6:51 PM ET
ESPN.com news services
After the head of a national police organization blasted Colin Kaepernick on Thursday for wearing socks with cartoon pigs in police hats, the San Francisco 49ers quarterback said he didn't want the apparel to distract from his protest of racial inequalities in America.

On Instagram, Kaepernick said he wore the socks in practice to make a statement -- but he did so before he took a public stance by refusing to stand for the national anthem at preseason games.

"I wore these socks, in the past, because the rogue cops that are allowed to hold positions in police departments, not only put the community in danger, but also the cops that have the right intentions in danger by creating an environment of tension and mistrust," Kaepernick wrote on Instagram on Thursday. "I have two uncles and friends who are police officers and work to protect and serve ALL people. So before these socks, which were worn before I took my public stance, are used to distract from the real issues, I wanted to address this immediately."

According to USA Today, Kaepernick reportedly wore the socks as early as Aug. 10, but he had not been asked about them. Images of the socks were posted on social media Wednesday night and quickly created a stir.

Colin Kaepernick, right, wears socks depicting cartoon pigs in police hats during practice on Aug. 10. AP Images
"It's just ridiculous that the same league that prohibits the Dallas football club from honoring the slain officers in their community with their uniforms stands silent when Kaepernick is dishonoring police officers with what he's wearing on the field," Bill Johnson, executive director of the National Association of Police Organizations, said, according to USA TODAY Sports.

"I think the league is in a downward spiral regarding their obligations to the public under Roger Goodell, and this is just another example of that."

The league has taken action in the past for what players wear at practice. The NFL told the Patriots this summer that players must wear numbers on their practice uniforms, in part to monitor injured players. It's not clear if the league would come down on Kaepernick's statement socks. According to USA Today, the league said it would not comment until it spoke to the Niners.

On Sunday, Kaepernick said he welcomed the attention that his stance has garnered.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Kareem: Kaepernick needs to be part of solution
NBA legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar said Thursday that he hopes Colin Kaepernick uses the platform he has established to help solve the issues he has taken a stand on.
"The fact that it has blown up like this, I think it's a good thing. It brings awareness," he said. "Now, I think people are really talking about it. Having conversations about how to make change. What's really going on in this country. And we can move forward. ... There is police brutality. People of color have been targeted by police. So that's a large part of it, and they're government officials. They are put in place by the government. So that's something that this country has to change. There's things we can do to hold them more accountable. Make those standards higher."

Kaepernick is expected to play Thursday night against the San Diego Chargers, who will be holding their annual salute to the military at the game. He has indicated that he will continue to sit for the national anthem until he sees change in the country.

The socks are not the first apparel that Kaepernick has worn to make a statement. He also wore a Fidel Castro T-shirt and a Malcolm X hat last week. He has not been seen by the media wearing the socks since a San Francisco police officer's union official complained about his lack of sensitivity on Monday.

Johnson, who represents more than 240,000 active law enforcement officers, called Kaepernick wearing the socks disrespectful, according to USA Today.

"It doesn't seem like he's thought through or bothered to educate himself about the way are out there trying to do a very difficult job, and the vast majority of the time get the job done right," Johnson said, according to the newspaper.

Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Email
comment
SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

-------------------

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85066 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 06:55 PM

5. "gooooooo appalachian"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 07:14 PM

6. "Only took muschamp a couple months to install his offense"
In response to Reply # 0

Heh

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

BrooklynWHAT
85066 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 07:31 PM

7. "really expected Dobbs to hit the ground running tonight"
In response to Reply # 0

not very impressed

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 08:08 PM

8. "that interception was one of the dumbest throws I've ever seen"
In response to Reply # 7

--------

BrooklynWHAT
85066 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 08:23 PM

9. "we were too appalled at the throw to celebrate the pick"
In response to Reply # 8

whole room full of app grads and were all looking at each other like "did he really just throw that?"

BrooklynWHAT
85066 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 09:53 PM

10. "Satterfield & Lamb FORGOT ABOUT THE CLOCK"
In response to Reply # 0

my god

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13928 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 10:02 PM

12. "Terrible clock management, no excuse for that"
In response to Reply # 10

guru0509
Charter member
45353 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 10:01 PM

11. "Haven't heard Neyland this loud in years "
In response to Reply # 0

>Thursday
>(9) Tennessee vs. App State
>(19) Louisville vs. Charlotte
>
>Friday
>(8) Stanford vs. Kansas State
>(12) Michigan State vs. Furman
>(23) Baylor vs. Northwestern State

-------------------

calij81
13928 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 10:03 PM

13. "People can get hysterically loud when they are nervous "
In response to Reply # 11

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 10:22 PM

14. "Troy Williams first start for UTAH...."
In response to Reply # 0

20-35 272yds 2 TDs 0 INT...

Great start for Troy..finally in an offense that's suited for him....with a coach who believes in him...

HecticHavoc
Member since May 13th 2005
7591 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 10:48 PM

15. "just daggerous FG miss by Vandy followed by a deep bomb FG by USC, shees..."
In response to Reply # 0

wish i could've seen that Tennessee game, followed on my phone and seemed incred

-----------------------------------------

calij81
13928 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 11:47 PM

16. "That Vandy offense is terrible and I doubt it improves much "
In response to Reply # 15

Over the season since Andy Ludwig is their OC. I can't believe Ludwig is still getting OC jobs in 2016, even if it is a bottom tier SEC school. Ludwig is going to cost Mason his job.

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Fri Sep-02-16 12:55 AM

17. "gotdamn season nearly over before it started."
In response to Reply # 0

- reality check for an anointed team that hasn't done anything.

- Dobbs was brutal. he usually does enough with his legs to offset his bad aerial games, but to be in his third-year in the system and this erratic throwing the ball is a red flag for the rest of the year. that interception before halftime was ridiculous and should've cost Tennessee the game.

- the passing game being putrid isn't that surprising, but good gracious what happened to the offensive line? annihilated all game by a Sun Belt defense.

- special teams were a huge letdown. turnover and targeting ejection on a fair catch, both by seniors. ST coach last year took a HC position and this was not a good early return by Larry Scott.

- pulled it out, and all can be forgiven at the end of the year if things improve. scary to think this team actually might be not very good at all, though.

--------

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66745 posts
Fri Sep-02-16 04:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "The missed extra point helped!!"
In response to Reply # 17

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2903 posts
Fri Sep-02-16 07:58 AM

21. "really disappointing"
In response to Reply # 20

Can't believe how bad the o-line was. The center and left tackle were getting blown up/by all night. Shitty pass protection with an already mediocre-at-best pass game is a recipe for disaster.

Defense looked slow and confused. Not the coming-out party I was expecting from Shoop and his $1m+ salary.

Butch Jones is scheduled to be the in-studio guest for CBS this weekend. Wonder how that would have gone if he blew it last night.

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Fri Sep-02-16 12:55 PM

23. "A night where just about anything and everything went wrong"
In response to Reply # 20

(c) Butch Jones

aside from the Vols recovering three of their own fumbles (including one in the end-zone for the OT-winning touchdown), the Andy Reid two-minute drill by App State at the end of regulation, and the aforementioned missed extra point...Tennessee was mostly unlucky!

--------

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66745 posts
Fri Sep-02-16 12:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "He was strangely calm and mellow during the halftime interview"
In response to Reply # 23

That isnt normal demeanor for him, right?

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Fri Sep-02-16 01:04 PM

25. "that was just a state of shock. "
In response to Reply # 24

like the delayed pain reaction to a traumatic injury. the thought of coaching in the MAC again hadn't hit him yet.

--------

DeepAztheRoot
13992 posts
Fri Sep-02-16 02:28 AM

19. "SEC East was trash last year"
In response to Reply # 0

not the beginning they wanted

Maybe Kirby has it figured out?

McElwain's squad is probably where it's at

Mizzou, like SC, is rebuilding and I don't expect much

<-Fear Ameer

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79585 posts
Fri Sep-02-16 11:14 AM

22. "WTF Vols? "
In response to Reply # 0

I know App State can ball but these fools look worse than last year.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

3xKrazy
Charter member
21582 posts
Fri Sep-02-16 02:51 PM

26. "minnesota coach is beyond dumb"
In response to Reply # 0

not that there was any doubt last year after he handed mich the game but last night really solidified the fact that theres something wrong with him.

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Fri Sep-02-16 04:59 PM

28. "that was..interesting"
In response to Reply # 26

I get the "win it now" logic as an underdog, but in that case it makes no sense to risk losing the game on that.

Claeys doesn't care, though. he's a placeholder at Minnesota under a new AD and would need a Rose Bowl run to save himself.

--------

DeepAztheRoot
13992 posts
Sat Sep-03-16 12:40 AM

30. "Yep"
In response to Reply # 28

I believe they only gave him a 2 year deal?

<-Fear Ameer

3xKrazy
Charter member
21582 posts
Sat Sep-03-16 08:10 AM

31. "well you'd think he'd like to work somewhere else after minny"
In response to Reply # 28

or maybe not.

>Claeys doesn't care, though. he's a placeholder at Minnesota
>under a new AD and would need a Rose Bowl run to save
>himself.

HecticHavoc
Member since May 13th 2005
7591 posts
Fri Sep-02-16 04:46 PM

27. "Stanford is a curious team this year"
In response to Reply # 0

they've never been picked to win the P12 in the preseason (under Shaw), even tho they have won it 3 of the last 4 seasons.

i'm hoping this game against K State is competitive, but Jesse Ertz missed every play last year besides the first snap of game 1 last season (when he tore his ACL).

but yeah, looking forward to seeing how Stanford reacts to being the big kid on the block now rather than Amazon jungle poison blow dart in the necking teams unsuspectingly these last few years.

-----------------------------------------

guru0509
Charter member
45353 posts
Fri Sep-02-16 08:06 PM

29. "I wish we had played them last year instead of Notre Dame"
In response to Reply # 27

ezekiel elliot >> mccaffrey

>they've never been picked to win the P12 in the preseason
>(under Shaw), even tho they have won it 3 of the last 4
>seasons.
>
>i'm hoping this game against K State is competitive, but Jesse
>Ertz missed every play last year besides the first snap of
>game 1 last season (when he tore his ACL).
>
>but yeah, looking forward to seeing how Stanford reacts to
>being the big kid on the block now rather than Amazon jungle
>poison blow dart in the necking teams unsuspectingly these
>last few years.
>
>

-------------------

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2562694 Previous topic | Next topic