Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2562539

Subject: ""NFL Doctors are Shady sumbitches" - Fred Taylor (Swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14585 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 12:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""NFL Doctors are Shady sumbitches" - Fred Taylor (Swipe)"

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17430180/former-jacksonville-jaguars-rb-fred-taylor-says-nfl-doctors-overlooked-my-injuries

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Former Jacksonville Jaguars running back Fred Taylor says he was never told by doctors during his 13-year career that he had suffered a fractured collarbone and injuries in each shoulder.

Taylor said on his official Twitter account Wednesday morning that he underwent a full orthopedic exam in Chicago last week, and 11 MRIs and 12 X-rays revealed that he had partially torn labrums in each shoulder and at one point suffered a fractured clavicle.

Taylor tweeted that the doctors he was referred to by the NFL never informed him of those injuries.

Fred Taylor ✔ @FredTaylorMade
Visited Chicago last week for full Ortho exam. Took 11 MRIs and 12 X-rays. Got results yesterday. Somehow I played career with fractured->
8:53 AM - 31 Aug 2016
95 95 Retweets 53 53 likes

Follow
clavicle, 2 partially torn labrum, one in each shoulder. I'm Appalled! I was never told this as a player. Oversight? Or BS!
8:57 AM - 31 Aug 2016
99 99 Retweets 70 70 likes

Follow
I've always gotten a sensation n my shoulders but I though it was fatigue. All these years have passd and now I discover my shoulders jackd
9:02 AM - 31 Aug 2016
66 66 Retweets 35 35 likes

Follow
Even through all the injuries and the lingering injuries, somehow The league still manage to deny my "Line of Duty" benefit 3 times.
9:05 AM - 31 Aug 2016
75 75 Retweets 40 40 likes

Follow
Seems the "neutral doctors" we are referred to by the league overlooked the injuries and issues I currently deal with. Nice job guys
9:07 AM - 31 Aug 2016

A phone message left for Taylor has not yet been returned.

Taylor also said via Twitter that he was releasing this information to let people know what NFL players deal with in terms of injuries as well as to illuminate what he called "shady practices."

Follow
They gave me this stupid nickname "fragile Freddy" after I had TORN my groin off the bone. Somehow it 2 was diagnosed as a minor strain 🤔
10:17 AM - 31 Aug 2016
67 67 Retweets 56 56 likes

Follow
I didn't complain or make an excuse to the media. I kept smiling, kept my cool, fought back and finished Top 15th rusher all-time.
10:19 AM - 31 Aug 2016
50 50 Retweets 108 108 likes

The Jaguars selected Taylor with the ninth overall pick in 1998, and he went on to become the franchise's all-time leading rusher (11,271 yards). He still holds 15 career, single-season and single-game records -- including the only 200-yard rushing game in team history (234 yards against Pittsburgh in 2000) -- and was inducted into the Pride of the Jaguars in 2012.

Taylor is employed by the Jaguars, providing pregame analysis via the stadium's video boards.

He played 11 seasons for the Jaguars (1998-2008) before spending two seasons with New England. His 11,695 career rushing yards ranks 16th in NFL history.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
"He should wait for all the info before blaming the medical staff."
Aug 31st 2016
seriously, when you look back he wasn't the only one
Aug 31st 2016
I'll never forget being in Jville at a Ravens/Jags game...
Aug 31st 2016
      LOL, that could've been me.
Aug 31st 2016
i call BS, these are professional doctors for pete's sake.
Aug 31st 2016
or are they?
Aug 31st 2016
      Get the sarcasm-meter checked
Aug 31st 2016
           the kaepernick story fucking broke my meter this week.
Aug 31st 2016
                haha i feel you.
Aug 31st 2016
                LOL, fair enough
Aug 31st 2016
*crosses legs, sits on ice pack*
Aug 31st 2016
So going forward
Aug 31st 2016
I know this has happened in basketball, at least.
Aug 31st 2016
right.
Aug 31st 2016
If a player don't want to play bc of health reasons he can sit. There's
Aug 31st 2016
      It's a bit different in NFL vs. NBA, though
Aug 31st 2016
           you are absolutely right...my mind always steers to basketball.
Aug 31st 2016
Apologize to LA2Philly here
Aug 31st 2016
haha
Aug 31st 2016
Our medical model isn't setup to help the public
Aug 31st 2016
lol
Aug 31st 2016
No surprise here
Aug 31st 2016

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 12:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. ""He should wait for all the info before blaming the medical staff.""
In response to Reply # 0

This is obviously really shitty, and considering the Jaguars' really bad injury history over the last few years, it very well could be indicative of a bigger problem.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 12:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "seriously, when you look back he wasn't the only one"
In response to Reply # 1

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 12:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I'll never forget being in Jville at a Ravens/Jags game..."
In response to Reply # 1

and this dude in front of us was going on and on about how Fred Taylor and his huge mansion on the river and calling dude "Fragile Fred". A guy near us stood up and was like "he's the best fucking thing to ever happen to this sorry ass city", lol.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 01:05 PM

7. "LOL, that could've been me."
In response to Reply # 5

> A guy near us stood up and was like "he's the
>best fucking thing to ever happen to this sorry ass city",
>lol.

I used to roast people for calling out Fred, especially because he played something like 4 or 5 16-game seasons. He worked his ass off and was healthy the majority of the time.

At least, he played like he was healthy.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59176 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 12:29 PM

2. "i call BS, these are professional doctors for pete's sake."
In response to Reply # 0

with medical degrees.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 01:15 PM

9. "or are they?"
In response to Reply # 2

http://deadspin.com/the-chargers-doctor-is-a-drunk-quack-why-havent-they-466685771

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 01:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "Get the sarcasm-meter checked "
In response to Reply # 9

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

GOMEZ
5613 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 01:28 PM

14. "the kaepernick story fucking broke my meter this week."
In response to Reply # 12

I can no longer sort out sarcasm and parody vs. real life fucking nutters. It was already on the fritz thanks to this goddam insane election cycle, but now i think my 'casm detector is busted beyond repair.

Still a good article to accentuate the point that NFL doctors are on some bullshit.

-Hunter S. Thompson

Cenario
59176 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 01:54 PM

16. "haha i feel you."
In response to Reply # 14

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 03:06 PM

20. "LOL, fair enough"
In response to Reply # 14

<--The drought is over

L D E A

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 12:32 PM

3. "*crosses legs, sits on ice pack*"
In response to Reply # 0

>They gave me this stupid nickname "fragile Freddy" after I had
>TORN my groin off the bone. Somehow it 2 was diagnosed as a
>minor strain 🤔

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Numba_33
Charter member
19328 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 01:03 PM

6. "So going forward"
In response to Reply # 0

say current football players pay out of their own respective pockets and get screenings and such from doctors that will look out for their own interests rather than try and serve for the team/league. Assuming the results from the player's doctors contradict the findings from the team/league sponsored doctors, what steps can a player in this scenario take? Has this happened before?

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 01:08 PM

8. "I know this has happened in basketball, at least."
In response to Reply # 6
Wed Aug-31-16 01:08 PM by Frank Longo

> Has
>this happened before?

I think it happens when a player wants to get back out onto the court/field, but the team medical staff are concerned. Chris Bosh is the most recent example in memory.

I can't recall off the top any cases in which players got outside doctor consults to back up their feeling that they should sit out longer-- mostly because (a) they know it'll cost them money long-term, fair or not, and (b) they *want* to be healthy, so if a doctor tells you it's all good, it reinforces what you want to hear.

Cenario
59176 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 01:17 PM

11. "right."
In response to Reply # 8

>mostly because (a) they know it'll cost them money long-term, fair or not, and (b) they *want* to be healthy, so if a doctor tells you it's all good, it reinforces what you want to hear.

Cenario
59176 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 01:16 PM

10. "If a player don't want to play bc of health reasons he can sit. There's"
In response to Reply # 6

nothing the team can do except not pay him based on breach of contract or try to encourage a 3rd unbiased opinion( maybe the doc the player went to was a quack)

Its a fight that no team wants and as Frank already said most dudes will play as soon as 1 doctor clears them.

I don't remember the specifics of either but i feel like both Rose and Lin(with the knicks) had been technically cleared to play but both sat out until they were ready. Team ain't do a damn thing except try to encourage the player to play and maybe leak stuff to the media. I don't think or know if those situations involved 2nd opinions but the principle remains.

GOMEZ
5613 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 01:52 PM

15. "It's a bit different in NFL vs. NBA, though"
In response to Reply # 10

guaranteed vs. non-guaranteed contracts and all that. If an NFL team can get a dr. to clear you, they can exert some pressure to get back on the field or cut you.

Players also want to play, though, and definitely lean towards a Dr. who will tell them what they want to hear.

-Hunter S. Thompson

Cenario
59176 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 01:56 PM

17. "you are absolutely right...my mind always steers to basketball."
In response to Reply # 15

in football you are assed out.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 01:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "Apologize to LA2Philly here"
In response to Reply # 0

Cenario
59176 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 01:56 PM

18. "haha"
In response to Reply # 13

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 03:00 PM

19. "Our medical model isn't setup to help the public "

If it was, incentives would be based on actual performance of medical providers via outcomes of patients. PTs are content being mediocre because they still get paid by the insurance and still have full caseloads, MDs are content being mediocre bc they still get paid by the insurance and are actually incentivized to bloat medical costs via imaging and prescriptions, surgeons get paid by the surgery so of course they are going to view every person as a surgery like a hammer views a nail.

The point at which a person realizes medicine is a business first and foremost and their health takes a backseat to that is when you may see some actual attitudes change. Sadly, it's often too late for the person due to years of mismanagement.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 03:06 PM

21. "lol"

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 03:34 PM

22. "No surprise here"
In response to Reply # 0

The fact is the level of medical diagnostic skills in the field are extremely poor, I'd say downright embarrassing. Case in point is the fact that Fred went for a full ortho exam and it consisted of 12 x-rays and 11 MRIs...that is appalling in and of itself.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2562539 Previous topic | Next topic