Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2546888

Subject: "Niiggas* who say they love football but don't care for the NFL." Previous topic | Next topic
normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Wed Jun-15-16 07:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Niiggas* who say they love football but don't care for the NFL."
Wed Jun-15-16 07:11 PM by normal35762

Is that shit real or is that some denial ish. Some cats at the job be on that where I work at. Get to talking to these cats about sports and they don't care for pro NFL because "it ain't real football", "it's political" "blah blah blah". In extreme cases they don't care for any sports but football. When I ask who they like college wise it comes as no surprise that they are Bama fans.

I finally asked this dude why and he said the rules are different and it's fixed before the season starts. I was like aren't they players in the NFL better and he said yeah but it ain't real blah blah blah.

I grew up in Cali so this is kinda odd to me. I can't imagine naan one of my niggas sayin they are Cal Bears/USC/Oregon fans but don't mess with the 49er's or the Raiders or Chargers cause that's fake political rigged football. Niggas like both. So do these folks who just like college football have a legitimate gripe or are they baseheads trying to sell me a broken amp and I should just laff. I think it's an excuse cause Alabama doesn't have a pro team. People do this in other states?

Shout out to my homie who is a die hard Bama fan and a die hard Saints fan tho.

* Niggas can mean black and white folks.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
nfl isnt as entertaining and the product is more sterile
Jun 15th 2016
all of this is true.
Jun 15th 2016
      good god yes they still let em bust heads in college.
Jun 16th 2016
      yes they bust heads then they get ejected, lmfao
Jun 16th 2016
      this
Jun 16th 2016
I can understand it
Jun 15th 2016
RE: Niiggas* who say they love football but don't care for the NFL.
Jun 15th 2016
the best football is played on fall Saturdays.
Jun 15th 2016
SEC football is on some other shit...
Jun 15th 2016
NFL is boring
Jun 15th 2016
too many commercials
Jun 16th 2016
      ^ ^ ^ ^
Jun 16th 2016
           come back for 1 play and go right back to another commercial.
Jun 16th 2016
           lol i prefer to watch all sports this way except baseball
Jun 16th 2016
wonder what other inferior products these dudes enjoy?
Jun 15th 2016
RE: wonder what other inferior products these dudes enjoy?
Jun 15th 2016
RE: wonder what other inferior products these dudes enjoy?
Jun 16th 2016
I've always wondered why this bothers NFL-only heads so much
Jun 15th 2016
Yeah, that isnt true... both fans do that shit
Jun 16th 2016
that hasn't been my experience
Jun 16th 2016
bc people be complaining about how boring it is and still watching
Jun 16th 2016
      if they're a cfb head they wouldn't be complaining bout thu night NFL
Jun 16th 2016
           i was just talking about people that complain about the nfl with no ment...
Jun 16th 2016
           Definitely. I'm usually hitting that last channel button
Jun 16th 2016
                Dog I be watchin Bowling Green vs whoever wears Brown/Gold unis
Jun 17th 2016
what kinda bizarro world statement is this?!
Jun 16th 2016
Agree with all the college peeps
Jun 16th 2016
NFL is fine to me if you watch the games on mute
Jun 16th 2016
Fucking nailed it..
Jun 16th 2016
sometimes I'll watch NFL games on mute and play music...
Jun 17th 2016
      same here
Jun 19th 2016
      me too..and its fantastic.
Jun 19th 2016
Sometimes grown ups have to choose. No time for everything
Jun 16th 2016
This too.
Jun 16th 2016
RE: Niiggas* who say they love football but don't care for the NFL.
Jun 16th 2016
Strategy? Huh?
Jun 17th 2016
      RE: Strategy? Huh?
Jun 17th 2016
this used to annoy me...
Jun 17th 2016
I think this faction has died down a bit for college fans too
Jun 17th 2016
I love them both for different reasons...
Jun 17th 2016
I feel this way about people who say they prefer college basketball over...
Jun 17th 2016
Kinda remember hearing the hate when staying for 3-4 years started to...
Jun 18th 2016
It's the other way around for me....
Jun 19th 2016

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85116 posts
Wed Jun-15-16 07:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "nfl isnt as entertaining and the product is more sterile"
In response to Reply # 0

college games are fucking RAUCOUS and because they're not pros theres an element of randomness and fuckery (leading to big plays) that makes it more exciting to watch.

the quality of play in the nfl is better but given the choice i'd rather watch college.

for basketball the pro game is better. more fuckery. rowdier crowds (for big games at least). vastly superior play.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18403 posts
Wed Jun-15-16 10:39 PM

9. "all of this is true."
In response to Reply # 1

Overall, I would rather watch a marquee Saturday game than Sunday Night Football, no question. Skins still take precedence over every kind of football, but after them I'm waaaaaay more cised to watch a big SEC tilt or one of these wacky Big 12 games where the total is like 140 points.

In college defenses are still allowed to actually hit, there's often times way more scoring, far fewer bullshit reviews and commercial breaks, and rabid crowds. It's a far, far, far better TV product. The best football game of last season was not Cards vs Packers in the playoffs or Broncos vs Chiefs on Monday Might Football, the best game was Clemson vs Alabama in the Chip. By a landslide.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85116 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 08:14 AM

15. "good god yes they still let em bust heads in college."
In response to Reply # 9

>
>In college defenses are still allowed to actually hit

<--- Big Baller World Order

3xKrazy
Charter member
21586 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 08:19 AM

17. "yes they bust heads then they get ejected, lmfao"
In response to Reply # 15

:-(

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 09:38 AM

21. "this"
In response to Reply # 9

>fewer commercial breaks

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Wed Jun-15-16 07:57 PM

2. "I can understand it"
In response to Reply # 0

If you are a die-hard college fan who grew up in a market with no NFL, it's very easy to understand.

My dad lived in NFL markets most of his life (Philly, Chicago, LA) but he likes the NFL less and less. He watches more college football now and follows the HS level a bit. He was a head coach at a high school, so was my grandfather (who played college football) and everyone in my family grew up with the game. He still loves the sport but the NFL leaves a lot to be desired for him, and for me, too. It's not about being fixed (though when you follow the money, I guess that is possible to some extent), it's more about the fan experience. There are just too many stoppages and ads. It's irritating, frankly, and awkward if you attend the game in person.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Wed Jun-15-16 08:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Niiggas* who say they love football but don't care for the NFL."
In response to Reply # 0

huh?

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

guru0509
Charter member
45387 posts
Wed Jun-15-16 08:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "the best football is played on fall Saturdays."
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79845 posts
Wed Jun-15-16 08:44 PM

5. "SEC football is on some other shit..."
In response to Reply # 0

I went to Tennessee for a year back before the Titans moved to Tennessee and that shit was bananas. 100K packing the stadium, shit shaking from opening kickoff to the last play.. the bands, fight songs, rivalries, the women...

I made a grip my feshman year scalping student tickets.

I remember watching Tennessee get blown out by Notre Dame in the first half while we were in Nashville. By the time we got back to Knoxville someone on campus asked "how about them Vols?" we all said they were scrubs amd dude was like "they won"

when a team is down by 20 in the NFL its a wrap but in college you never know.

If you never been to a Bama game and you get the chance... go and see for yourself. Make sure it isnt one of their bitch games tho vs some scrub.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15895 posts
Wed Jun-15-16 08:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "NFL is boring"
In response to Reply # 0

Slow pace. No real energy in the stadiums.
NO PASSION!!! SPEED!!! GRITS!!!!

legsdiamond
79845 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 07:54 AM

12. "too many commercials"
In response to Reply # 6

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 09:38 AM

22. "^ ^ ^ ^"
In response to Reply # 12

even on DVR that shit drives me crazy

legsdiamond
79845 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 11:10 AM

24. "come back for 1 play and go right back to another commercial. "
In response to Reply # 22

every other possession is a commercial too..

I swear it feels like in college they will go a whole quarter without a commercial sometimes.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59191 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 12:13 PM

26. "lol i prefer to watch all sports this way except baseball"
In response to Reply # 22

>even on DVR that shit drives me crazy

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32106 posts
Wed Jun-15-16 08:52 PM

7. "wonder what other inferior products these dudes enjoy? "
In response to Reply # 0

store brand soda over Coca Cola/Pepsi?

school cafeteria burgers over In N Out?

Hospital shoes over Nikes?

Master Thespian
Member since Mar 25th 2003
622 posts
Wed Jun-15-16 10:55 PM

10. "RE: wonder what other inferior products these dudes enjoy? "
In response to Reply # 7

>Curry's over Nikes?
>
>
>

COOLEHMAGAZINE
Member since May 22nd 2007
5563 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 10:11 PM

30. "RE: wonder what other inferior products these dudes enjoy? "
In response to Reply # 7

straight comedies

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos

http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/

3xKrazy
Charter member
21586 posts
Wed Jun-15-16 10:15 PM

8. "I've always wondered why this bothers NFL-only heads so much"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jun-15-16 10:16 PM by 3xKrazy

like, if u go up to a cfb fan and tell him/her that you're not really feeling cfb...the cfb fan isn't gonna sweat it and really will give 2 shits about how you ration out your sports viewing time.

meanwhile said NFL fan acts mad insecure ('why don't they like me?!?!'), complains about the cfb post-season not being a carbon copy of the NFL, etc., etc. The insecurity level is just a bit weird.

and for the record, I watch both but greatly favor cfb. and usually on Sundays I'm eager to get the fuck out of the house after being glued to the couch all day/night on Saturday so I don't catch as much NFL action as I need to really keep me in the loop.

and betting on the NFL is only good if you enjoy losing money. so there's that.

legsdiamond
79845 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 06:09 AM

11. "Yeah, that isnt true... both fans do that shit"
In response to Reply # 8

I watch both wo its not a big deal

3xKrazy
Charter member
21586 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 08:19 AM

16. "that hasn't been my experience"
In response to Reply # 11

its very understandable why someone wouldn't be interested in cfb if they didn't grow up in a cfb region or attend a university where cfb was king.

I don't think cfb heads begrudge anyone for not having been properly exposed to the sport. because if you didn't come up with it then you wouldn't understand what makes the sport tick.

on the other hand, i feel like any red-blooded sports watching american male is just assumed to be obsessed with the NFL.

Cenario
59191 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 08:05 AM

13. "bc people be complaining about how boring it is and still watching"
In response to Reply # 8

talking bout that thurs night game was trash...you watching thurs night football thats yo fault(unless your squad is playing)

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

3xKrazy
Charter member
21586 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 08:12 AM

14. "if they're a cfb head they wouldn't be complaining bout thu night NFL"
In response to Reply # 13

>talking bout that thurs night game was trash...you watching
>thurs night football thats yo fault(unless your squad is
>playing)

cause they'd be watching thursday night cfb!

Cenario
59191 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 08:21 AM

18. "i was just talking about people that complain about the nfl with no ment..."
In response to Reply # 14

of cfb

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18403 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 09:06 AM

20. "Definitely. I'm usually hitting that last channel button"
In response to Reply # 14

I don't care if my college options are shitty even, I'll flip back and forth from Vikings/Bears to Tar Heels/Demon Deacons or Utes/Huskies all Thursday night.

deejboram
Member since Sep 27th 2002
25755 posts
Fri Jun-17-16 02:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
37. "Dog I be watchin Bowling Green vs whoever wears Brown/Gold unis"
In response to Reply # 20

>I don't care if my college options are shitty even, I'll flip
>back and forth from Vikings/Bears to Tar Heels/Demon Deacons
>or Utes/Huskies all Thursday night.

it be like Middle North Dakota State vs USF (University of Sioux Falls)

nigga I'M WATCHIN!!!

pink toes: http://i.imgur.com/WN7DPL1

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 08:42 AM

19. "what kinda bizarro world statement is this?!"
In response to Reply # 0

>* Niggas can mean black and white folks.
>

thats one of the stupidest statements ive ever had the misfortune to read on a website bursting at the seams with stupid statements. take a bow, kid. thats historically dumb right there

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 10:57 AM

23. "Agree with all the college peeps"
In response to Reply # 0

Nfl is boring, way too corporate and sterile. College football, you know some crazy shot is going to happen every week. The gap between the pros and college in terms of watchability is far far lower in football than in hoops, soccer, baseball, etc

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

MothershipConnection
Member since Nov 22nd 2003
7498 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 11:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
25. "NFL is fine to me if you watch the games on mute"
In response to Reply # 0

I enjoy the higher level of skill, some of the things that pros can do are just unbelievable, and hey my Raiders are starting to be good again.

I just hate the culture where every coworker you have has to have their HOT TAKE about Gronk, about Cam, about your fantasy team... and most of the NFL TV coverage is pretty obnoxious outside of a few shows on NFL Network.

There's some parts about college fan culture (see basically everything happening at Baylor) that I really dislike, but I've found most hardcore college fans tend to be pretty knowledgeable and have at least some sense of humor. And the on field skill level is lower but the gap in watchability between the pros and college is far narrower than basically every other sport.

Just saying if your cubicle neighbor had a strong hot take about the Pac-12 race or Fourneete vs McCaffrey for the Heisman next year, they're probably pretty invested in it, but I could ask pretty much anyone I work with about Deflategate and get a dumb take back.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35294 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 01:06 PM

28. "Fucking nailed it.."
In response to Reply # 25

>There's some parts about college fan culture (see basically
>everything happening at Baylor) that I really dislike, but
>I've found most hardcore college fans tend to be pretty
>knowledgeable and have at least some sense of humor.

>Just saying if your cubicle neighbor had a strong hot take
>about the Pac-12 race or Fourneete vs McCaffrey for the
>Heisman next year, they're probably pretty invested in it, but
>I could ask pretty much anyone I work with about Deflategate
>and get a dumb take back.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Dstl1
Charter member
56245 posts
Fri Jun-17-16 02:39 PM

36. "sometimes I'll watch NFL games on mute and play music..."
In response to Reply # 25

kinda dope watching two good teams play with "Supreme Clientele" as the backdrop, lol.

Johnny
Charter member
4447 posts
Sun Jun-19-16 04:25 PM

41. "same here"
In response to Reply # 36

i don't watch any commercials.
its either music or the mute button or dvr fast forward

DunDaDa
Charter member
7411 posts
Sun Jun-19-16 04:46 PM

43. "me too..and its fantastic."
In response to Reply # 36

----------------------------------------------------------------
respect the gift.

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5616 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 12:20 PM

27. "Sometimes grown ups have to choose. No time for everything"
In response to Reply # 0

I watch more NFL, but I can see not really following it in favor of college.

Some reasons for college:
-Your team will never move, no threat/extorition for relocation

-School loyalty - I went to the UW, but have never been affiliated with the Seahawks in any capacity. I'm a Dawg, but just a fan of the Seahawks.

-Affordability - i can still afford to go to a college game pretty easily, NFL will bleed you dry

-More surprises. It's fun watching young players, unexpected players break out. More crazy plays happen in college

Like I said, I enjoy the pro game more, but I can see someone preferring college.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

cgonz00cc
35294 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 01:07 PM

29. "This too."
In response to Reply # 27

>-School loyalty - I went to the UW, but have never been
>affiliated with the Seahawks in any capacity. I'm a Dawg, but
>just a fan of the Seahawks.

Im a Yellow Jacket no matter what happens, and the rest of my family will be Wolverines no matter what happens.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

COOLEHMAGAZINE
5563 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 10:35 PM

31. "RE: Niiggas* who say they love football but don't care for the NFL."
In response to Reply # 0

Have watched a lot of college the last few years because gf is a huge fan, but NFL all the way for me and it really isn't that close.

NFL announcers suck, there are tons of commercials, all of that is true...but the sport on the field is my favorite. Strategy is just way deeper to me, because talent levels are closer.

cgonz00cc
35294 posts
Fri Jun-17-16 12:08 PM

32. "Strategy? Huh?"
In response to Reply # 31

There is so much less variation in the NFL among all teams offensively and defensively than there is in college.

And now that Harbaugh is gone, who is running a unique system in the NFL on either side of the ball? Dom Capers is the only guy I can think of in the NFL who has any sort of truly impressive creativity.

In the Pac12 its conceivable that in a 4 week stretch one DC could have to game plan for Oregon, WSU, Stanford, and Arizona in a 3 week stretch. There is no comparable gamut of wildly different systems to prepare for in the NFL.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

COOLEHMAGAZINE
5563 posts
Fri Jun-17-16 04:32 PM

39. "RE: Strategy? Huh?"
In response to Reply # 32

>There is so much less variation in the NFL among all teams
>offensively and defensively than there is in college.

This is true, sadly, and I have made many posts about how the ubiquity of the shotgun is ruining the NFL. But also college just has so many more teams
>
>And now that Harbaugh is gone, who is running a unique system
>in the NFL on either side of the ball? Dom Capers is the only
>guy I can think of in the NFL who has any sort of truly
>impressive creativity.

Defensively there are definitely more people than offensively. The Ryans system is pretty unique, moreso than Capers current work IMO
>
>In the Pac12 its conceivable that in a 4 week stretch one DC
>could have to game plan for Oregon, WSU, Stanford, and Arizona
>in a 3 week stretch. There is no comparable gamut of wildly
>different systems to prepare for in the NFL.

Agreed, but what I am saying is, the competition is so much closer. There are teams I watch Oregon play, for example and they just are not fast enough to stop the Ducks, doesn't matter what happens. In the NFL the margins are so much narrower, that each call seems so much more weighty, every game seems like it could go either way.

I also didn't go to a school with sports teams so the passion my girl feels for OR that allows her to watch every minute of a 50-13 blowout...I just don't have.

Flash80
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
6953 posts
Fri Jun-17-16 01:23 PM

33. "this used to annoy me..."
In response to Reply # 0

because the statement invariably came from a (white) male colleague (incidentally from a power house school), who said they liked college football better because "it's not about the money, but for the love of the game."

LOL

doesn't annoy me anymore. why?

because goodell's NFL has perpetually manipulated and re-invented the product -- thursday games/increased int'l games/rule changes -- instead of just letting the business cycle play itself out for a few years.

MothershipConnection
Member since Nov 22nd 2003
7498 posts
Fri Jun-17-16 02:01 PM

35. "I think this faction has died down a bit for college fans too"
In response to Reply # 33

>because the statement invariably came from a (white) male
>colleague (incidentally from a power house school), who said
>they liked college football better because "it's not about the
>money, but for the love of the game."
>
>LOL
>

There's still a big vocal group of "the education is enough payment!" college fans, but it's hard to say college football is not about the money when there's so much obvious big money flying around.

Like I used to look forward to having 6 or 7 Saturdays at the Rose Bowl to tailgate, but with all the crazy scheduling (Thursday, Friday, neutral site, super late night games) to accommodate for the big TV deals, there might only be 1 or 2 chances where it might work out for me to get out there... I really don't like that.

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22294 posts
Fri Jun-17-16 01:54 PM

34. "I love them both for different reasons..."
In response to Reply # 0

The level of talent at the pro level is just unreal. Obviously, it's miles ahead of the college game.

But the energy and hype in the college game makes it exciting almost every, single week.

I have a friend who doesn't care about any other sport (pro or college) in the world except for college football (he played at a mid-major). But this cat goes all out every Saturday for these games. His crib is the hangout game-watching spot from Sept into Jan.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Jun-17-16 03:39 PM

38. "I feel this way about people who say they prefer college basketball over..."
In response to Reply # 0

because its usually a corny white dude and its code for I don't like ni....

mtbatol
Member since May 22nd 2002
19788 posts
Sat Jun-18-16 10:49 AM

40. "Kinda remember hearing the hate when staying for 3-4 years started to..."
In response to Reply # 38

..fade away from NCAA to NBA. And college students yelled at guys going to a draft "YOU FUCKING TRAITOR!!" and some shit that was even nastier

blueeclipse
Member since Apr 12th 2009
1855 posts
Sun Jun-19-16 04:32 PM

42. "It's the other way around for me...."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't fuck with college sports as much because of the NCAA. Period. They are shady as fuck and allow an environment of privilege and patronage and it pisses me off. There are certain schools and conferences that you just know have an upper hand and it makes watching the shit feel forced and fixed. At least in the NFL there is a salary cap and parity. A small market team can legitimately become a contender with proper management.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2546888 Previous topic | Next topic