Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2542466

Subject: "MLB Talk: Yankees are the best team in baseball*" Previous topic | Next topic
will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Tue May-31-16 01:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"MLB Talk: Yankees are the best team in baseball*"

*if they can get a lead by the sixth inning.

Dellin Betances + Andrew Miller + Aroldis Chapman:

1.52 ERA
0.75 WHIP
99 K (16.8 K/9)
7 BB

Sunday they beat the Rays despite getting *one* hit the entire game -- a two-run homer in the sixth. that’s a walk-off with these three.

--------

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
White Sox are in an epic downfall
May 31st 2016
Drake's Curse
Jun 02nd 2016
Dirty Byrd
Jun 01st 2016
Too bad they have 5 regulars with sub .700 OPS
Jun 01st 2016
Yeah, they're making the easy stuff look *really* tough
Jun 01st 2016
      If it was Baltimore leading the way
Jun 01st 2016
old people
Jun 02nd 2016
Ichiro
Jun 02nd 2016
      he's closing in on 4,256 too
Jun 03rd 2016
           Pete did have 427 in the minors though
Jun 03rd 2016
                I think the Japanese league is probably superior to minor league ball
Jun 03rd 2016
                     I disagree
Jun 03rd 2016
The Mets are right back where they were last year
Jun 02nd 2016
My Cubs....
Jun 02nd 2016
holy pythagorean
Jun 02nd 2016
As a fan of the worse W/L team in baseball, this is an ongoing fascinati...
Jun 02nd 2016
Ausmus cant see a game post ASG
Jun 03rd 2016
Do player career splits vs. specific teams really mean anything?
Jun 03rd 2016

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Tue May-31-16 02:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "White Sox are in an epic downfall"
In response to Reply # 0

it's pretty depressing.

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14586 posts
Thu Jun-02-16 08:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Drake's Curse"
In response to Reply # 1

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Wed Jun-01-16 12:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Dirty Byrd"
In response to Reply # 0

Marlon Byrd got popped for PEDs for the second time in 5 years. I have not watched an Indians game this year and did not realize he was still in the league. He's apparently on that Kenny Lofton style and has played for 8 teams in the last 5 years.

DeepAztheRoot
Member since Dec 19th 2003
13992 posts
Wed Jun-01-16 12:40 PM

3. "Too bad they have 5 regulars with sub .700 OPS"
In response to Reply # 0

and that's not counting A-Rod

Nobody else has near that amount

<-Fear Ameer

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Wed Jun-01-16 12:44 PM

4. "Yeah, they're making the easy stuff look *really* tough"
In response to Reply # 3

I'll be curious to see if ownership thinks this team is worth supporting with a mid-season trade or two or three. Though maybe willingness isn't the chief obstacle there, so much as huge amounts of contracted money taking up roster spots - and playing time to justify itself.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

DeepAztheRoot
Member since Dec 19th 2003
13992 posts
Wed Jun-01-16 01:51 PM

5. "If it was Baltimore leading the way"
In response to Reply # 4

and a mishmash of sorts with the rest of the division I think you might be able to justify going ahead

However, Boston looks like the real deal as predicted, offense is what the Jays were supposed to be, the concern over Price is overblown IMO and they are easily the class of the division, if not the AL. The Yankees look old and creaky and rent has come due on Tex and A-Rod's performances prior.

I think they should blow it up and get younger, but historically the franchise, media, fans have the wherewithal but don't have the patience for that.

<-Fear Ameer

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Thu Jun-02-16 01:14 AM

6. "old people"
In response to Reply # 0

Fernando Rodney (39): 0.00 ERA
David Ortiz (40): 1148 OPS

--------

Call It Anything
10951 posts
Thu Jun-02-16 11:44 PM

12. "Ichiro"
In response to Reply # 6

.323/.388/.376 in 103 PA
3 SB/1 CS
Positive UZR, 5 OF Assists
(35 hits away from 3,000)

He's been a genuinely good 4th OF for what could end up being the best OF in baseball if Stanton gets going.

KosherSam
Member since Mar 18th 2004
70132 posts
Fri Jun-03-16 08:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "he's closing in on 4,256 too"
In response to Reply # 12
Fri Jun-03-16 08:31 AM by KosherSam

I know that it doesn't really count, but the Japanese league isn't some bush league, either. If he had come over at the start of his career, he'd easily have 4,000 hits by now.

*Jews you*

"this is okp tho, reading is completely optional" (c) desus

Proceed with caution. I am overtly racist.

<-- In Pigpen we trust

Call It Anything
10951 posts
Fri Jun-03-16 09:40 AM

15. "Pete did have 427 in the minors though"
In response to Reply # 14

I think if people are going to count professional hits in Japan, it's reasonable to count professional hits in the South Atlantic League.

KosherSam
70132 posts
Fri Jun-03-16 02:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "I think the Japanese league is probably superior to minor league ball"
In response to Reply # 15

*Jews you*

<-- In Pigpen we trust

Call It Anything
10951 posts
Fri Jun-03-16 05:24 PM

17. "I disagree"
In response to Reply # 16

As more players go back and forth, there is starting to be better data on this, but from what I've read and observed, the 12 teams in NPB are overall in the AAA range but the back end of the roster are usually filled out by younger Japanese players who would otherwise be lower minor league guys. Of course, most of the elite guys can play at a high level and Ichiro is certainly elite. But it feels like for every Ichiro, Nomo, or Tanaka there are significantly more Alex Ramirez, Alex Sanchez, Wladimir Balentien, Randy Bass, Greg LaRocca, Seth Greisinger type guys. Guys who profile as something like AAAA players in the US and go out and set records in NPB. I think that's why I view AAA as probably about right.

I think a big part of that is because teams are only allowed 4 foreign players on their 25 man. So you've got a country with 40% of the population of the US, filling out 84% of a roster in a league that's 40% the size of the MLB. In the MLB, foreign born players are 25-30% of the roster. So there are basically twice as many foreigners on MLB teams v. NPB teams. Capping foreign born players on US rosters would definitely water down down teams here and I believe that it has a similar effect in Japan, even though the league is roughly proportional in terms of population.

KosherSam
70132 posts
Thu Jun-02-16 08:26 AM

7. "The Mets are right back where they were last year"
In response to Reply # 0

great pitching, awful hitting, and injuries forcing them to start somewhere between 3-5 automatic outs.

This homer-or-nothing shit is for the birds. I don't think they've had a single inning this year where they got 5 hits and no homers.

*Jews you*

<-- In Pigpen we trust

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Thu Jun-02-16 08:31 AM

8. "My Cubs...."
In response to Reply # 0

Have been impressive by showing the ability to bounce back after a lost...That Lester pitching display last game was pretty sick....Let's keep it going....

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Thu Jun-02-16 09:27 AM

10. "holy pythagorean"
In response to Reply # 0

Reds have a -105 run differential and we're only through one third the season.

--------

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Thu Jun-02-16 10:02 AM

11. "As a fan of the worse W/L team in baseball, this is an ongoing fascinati..."
In response to Reply # 10

The Twins are actually playing worse than the Reds' pythag expected W/L, which means... something? I hear the 2017 draft is shaping up to be a really, really good one. Should I wish for more Cincinnati luck? Is the concept of "luck" really meaningful when it describes a 50 win team falling into a 60 win team?

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66746 posts
Fri Jun-03-16 07:46 AM

13. "Ausmus cant see a game post ASG"
In response to Reply # 0

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66746 posts
Fri Jun-03-16 07:04 PM

18. "Do player career splits vs. specific teams really mean anything?"
In response to Reply # 0

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2542466 Previous topic | Next topic