Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2526377

Subject: "Jamie Dixon leaving Pitt for TCU" Previous topic | Next topic
Y2Flound
Member since Aug 16th 2005
9819 posts
Mon Mar-21-16 04:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Jamie Dixon leaving Pitt for TCU"

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15035722/jamie-dixon-leaving-pittsburgh-panthers-take-tcu-horned-frogs-job

I'm torn on this, I was never in the Dixon hate club, but also 13 years with 11 tournaments and only getting past the 2nd round twice is a lot of average.

I don't know that Pitt can do better is my fear, we aren't a top tier school, so we aren't going to attract a big name coach and don't attract top level talent, but I guess at some point you have to be willing to try so I'm ok taking the buyout for him and moving on.

For Dixon TCU is his alma mater, but it feels like the easy way out. Take a lot of money to go to a school with a very low bar. They haven't made the tournament in 18 years, so if he can get there a few times he will be a huge success. I guess it's a good move for all sides involved.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Who's on their hiring list?
Mar 21st 2016
Andy Toole is probably the next coach if they cant get Archie Miller
Mar 21st 2016
I'll put it this way.
Mar 21st 2016
      I agree with you
Mar 21st 2016
Miller will be option 1 but not happen, here is a hypothetical list
Mar 21st 2016
this week just keeps getting better!
Mar 21st 2016
Best of luck to him
Mar 21st 2016
That'd be a great look for Coach O as he waits for Cal to retire.
Mar 21st 2016
RE: Jamie Dixon leaving Pitt for TCU
Mar 21st 2016
smart move for him.
Mar 21st 2016
hopefully he can afford some lotion and chapstick
Mar 21st 2016
Offer out to Sean Miller
Mar 22nd 2016
Wow, didn't think they'd pull this off
Mar 22nd 2016
He already declined the offer on Twitter
Mar 22nd 2016
He's waiting for Thad Matta to step down..nm
Mar 22nd 2016
Pitts gonna Pitt and make the most Pitt hire possible
Mar 27th 2016

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
84600 posts
Mon Mar-21-16 04:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Who's on their hiring list?"
In response to Reply # 0

I think Dixon is underrated-- Pitt isn't exactly a destination, and considering TCU doubled his salary, they don't seem like they're ready to bust their wallets open wide.

I've heard the Millers referenced, but LOL @ the idea that Sean Miller would leave Arizona... and I'm not convinced Archie would leave Dayton for Pitt when he can stay and wait for the job he wants.

Yeah, I don't know what to think. It's probably dark days ahead for Pitt.

For beer lovers: http://thebeertravelguide.com
For movie lovers: http://russellhainline.com

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16614 posts
Mon Mar-21-16 05:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Andy Toole is probably the next coach if they cant get Archie Miller"
In response to Reply # 1

and lol at dark days at Pitt

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
84600 posts
Mon Mar-21-16 05:30 PM

4. "I'll put it this way."
In response to Reply # 2

They had a coach that made the tourney 11 times in the last 13 years. This is a school that went to the tournament a *total* of 15 times before Dixon. They haven't been to the Sweet 16 since 2009, but they've only ever been there 7 times, 3 of which were under Dixon.

He's had a Top 25 offensive efficiency team in those 11 seasons, and he's had three Top 5 offensive efficiency teams. His system is slow-tempo (and slow-tempo teams are especially vulnerable in the tournament, imo), but it's kept Pitt tourney-bound, even in an ACC that has become increasingly challenging and will only continue to get more so.

Basically, one could argue that, at age 50, he's one of those Bo Ryan efficiency guys whose teams always play well but carry the stigma of "they've never been to the Final Four"... until, of course, they do. Most every strong coach has carried that stigma until he didn't.

Not that I think Jamie Dixon is a Bo Ryan caliber coach, necessarily. I just think he's being woefully underrated by Pitt, and a consistently winning atmosphere, even without a Sweet 16 in a while, is really hard to come by, especially in tough conferences like the Big East and the ACC.

For beer lovers: http://thebeertravelguide.com
For movie lovers: http://russellhainline.com

Y2Flound
9819 posts
Mon Mar-21-16 05:41 PM

5. "I agree with you"
In response to Reply # 4

I think what doomed Dixon more than anything is his inability to recruit NBA caliber talent. Not only is that how you make a run in the tourney, but it's also what leads to more great players.

The few All Americans we got either transferred or didn't work out. You can put some of that on Pitt not being appealing, but at the same time is it less appealing than a school like Wisconsin? The best 2 players we have had under 13 years of Dixon were 2nd round draft picks.

Overall though, I think we may run into a Pitt football situation where fans wanted Wannstedt gone and thought they could just attract a higher caliber coach but then couldn't. We are not a destination job for anyone, nor good enough historically to demand more than being consistently good. Sometimes though you just have to move on when all parties seemed to have soured on each other.

Y2Flound
9819 posts
Mon Mar-21-16 05:24 PM

3. "Miller will be option 1 but not happen, here is a hypothetical list"
In response to Reply # 1

http://www.cardiachill.com/2016/3/20/11273112/what-if-hypothetical-coaching-candidates

I like Kevin Willard, really our only other alum with head coaching experience and a proven good recruiter, though he doesn't have long term success anywhere.

I think you'll hear a bunch of mid major names like Ben Jacobson of N. Iowa, no Pitt connections but he's probably ready for a big 6 job.

But for now it'll be all Sean Miller all the time until he officially says no.

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
16536 posts
Mon Mar-21-16 05:42 PM

6. "this week just keeps getting better!"
In response to Reply # 0

That guy really had Cuse's number. So glad to see him gone.

adam
Member since Jul 15th 2006
2188 posts
Mon Mar-21-16 05:53 PM

7. "Best of luck to him"
In response to Reply # 0

Probably a good time for both sides to move on. I hope he does well at TCU. Always liked Dixon. He was quite a photogenic yeller on the sidelines.

I don't know enough about college basketball coaches to have an opinion on who I'd like to see Pitt get, or even go after. The current administration brought in Narduzzi, and that guy is practically the mayor of Pittsburgh in less than a year. Maybe they'll find a basketball coach who can fire up the program like Narduzzi has done.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38126 posts
Mon Mar-21-16 06:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "That'd be a great look for Coach O as he waits for Cal to retire. "
In response to Reply # 0

Just saying.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Selassie I God
Member since Feb 21st 2006
10355 posts
Mon Mar-21-16 07:39 PM

9. "RE: Jamie Dixon leaving Pitt for TCU"
In response to Reply # 0

>http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15035722/jamie-dixon-leaving-pittsburgh-panthers-take-tcu-horned-frogs-job
>
>I'm torn on this, I was never in the Dixon hate club, but also
>13 years with 11 tournaments and only getting past the 2nd
>round twice is a lot of average.

don't think that is quite fair...13 of 13 is a record that a bunch of better known coaches couldn't match, especially at Pitt, moreso now that they have to play an ACC schedule and travel. Postseason hasn't been spectacular, but average...c'mon

____
Some will tell you that they love you but they've got an ulterior motive - Oh what a shame
They will tell you that they need you but they've got an ulterior motive - Personal gain

(c) Luciano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg0-qndkemo

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
81903 posts
Mon Mar-21-16 11:18 PM

10. "smart move for him."
In response to Reply # 0

this is probably his last job then he's gonna be an espn talking head.

<--- Big Baller World Order

guru0509
Charter member
42808 posts
Mon Mar-21-16 11:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "hopefully he can afford some lotion and chapstick"
In response to Reply # 0

that is the ashiest looking motherfucker ive ever seen

dude always looks like he just stepped off the slopes and caught hte nastiest wind burn

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Y2Flound
9819 posts
Tue Mar-22-16 02:06 PM

12. "Offer out to Sean Miller"
In response to Reply # 0

Not wasting any time, we all knew he was #1 dream coach, but didn't expect an offer a day later.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/03/22/sources-pitt-offers-head-coach-job-to-arizonas-sean-miller/

HowieDooem
Member since Jun 17th 2002
3683 posts
Tue Mar-22-16 02:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "Wow, didn't think they'd pull this off"
In response to Reply # 12

What was looking like a relatively tame coaching carousel might not be if this Arizona job opens up.

Y2Flound
9819 posts
Tue Mar-22-16 02:15 PM

14. "He already declined the offer on Twitter"
In response to Reply # 13

Basically we just called him and offered him the job without him even wanting it and he said no

guru0509
Charter member
42808 posts
Tue Mar-22-16 10:34 PM

15. "He's waiting for Thad Matta to step down..nm"
In response to Reply # 12

>Not wasting any time, we all knew he was #1 dream coach, but
>didn't expect an offer a day later.
>
>http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/03/22/sources-pitt-offers-head-coach-job-to-arizonas-sean-miller/

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Y2Flound
9819 posts
Sun Mar-27-16 02:48 PM

16. "Pitts gonna Pitt and make the most Pitt hire possible"
In response to Reply # 0

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15077267/former-vanderbilt-commodores-coach-kevin-stallings-hired-pittsburgh-panthers-replace-jamie-dixon

Sure let's hire a mediocre coach from a mediocre big 5 school who was about to be fired and buy him out from his contract.

That'll fix it and build excitement

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2526377 Previous topic | Next topic