Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2525044

Subject: " Mateen Cleaves faces sex assault charge(swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99995 posts
Wed Mar-16-16 06:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
" Mateen Cleaves faces sex assault charge(swipe)"

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14981894/ex-basketball-star-mateen-cleaves-faces-sex-assault-charge

Former Michigan St. star Mateen Cleaves faces sex assault charge
Email
comment
9:23 PM ET
Associated Press
DETROIT -- Prosecutors on Tuesday charged former Michigan State basketball star Mateen Cleaves with sexually assaulting a 24-year-old woman who said she was driven to a Michigan motel and attacked.

Arrangements were being made for Cleaves, 39, to turn himself in to authorities, Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said in a statement.

Cleaves was expected to be arraigned Thursday on three counts of criminal sexual conduct, one count of assault with intent to commit criminal sexual penetration and one count of unlawful imprisonment.

Defense attorney Frank J. Manley said the charges filed against Cleaves are "false'' and are "catastrophic'' to Cleaves' career.

Manley also told The Associated Press that Worthy chose to charge Cleaves Tuesday to "bring special attention'' to the case at the start of the NCAA basketball tournament this week.

A press release Tuesday from Worthy's office said the 24-year-old woman, her boyfriend and several co-workers met Cleaves on Sept. 14 at a Flint-area charity golf outing.

The group later went to a local bar for drinks. The woman said that after leaving the bar, her boyfriend gave a friend a ride home. She believed she was returning to the golf club in Cleaves' car.

The woman said she was taken instead to a Mundy Township motel and sexually assaulted in one of the rooms. She escaped and was helped by a woman in a nearby room, according to Worthy.

"The evidence in this case will show that the alleged actions of this defendant were not only criminal, but arose out of a sense of entitlement sometimes found in prominent people," Worthy said.

The case is being tried in Genesee County court, but the Wayne County prosecutor is handling it because of a possible conflict of interest by Genesee County prosecutors and a potential witness.

Cleaves attended Flint Northern High School before going to Michigan State, where he led the Spartans to the NCAA championship in 2000 as the team's point guard.

"I'm saddened by it," Michigan State coach Tom Izzo told reporters Tuesday of the charges against Cleaves after his team practiced in preparation for playing in the NCAA tournament on Friday. "I'm saddened for him and his family."

Cleaves was drafted by the Detroit Pistons in 2000 and spent six seasons in the NBA, playing for the Pistons, Sacramento Kings, Cleveland Cavaliers and Seattle Supersonics. Cleaves averaged 3.6 points and just under two assists in 167 NBA games.

Cleaves has worked in the past as an analyst for at least two sports networks.

Information from The Associated Press was used to this report.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
smh..can't opine more without facts but just smh @ having your name
Mar 16th 2016
right
Mar 16th 2016
      its sad with so many false accusations that you have to take a step back
Mar 16th 2016
gotta let all the facts come out
Mar 16th 2016
not The 'Teen...SMH. hope it ain't true.
Mar 16th 2016
Every time I see him I hear either you or TKO saying he looks "doggy".
Mar 16th 2016
      worst ncaa champ of my lifetime. they were awful.
Mar 16th 2016
Mateen to accuser: THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!
Mar 16th 2016
RE: Mateen to accuser: THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!
Mar 16th 2016
      hahahahahaha
Mar 16th 2016

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59077 posts
Wed Mar-16-16 07:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "smh..can't opine more without facts but just smh @ having your name"
In response to Reply # 0

attached to this whether warranted or not.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99995 posts
Wed Mar-16-16 08:13 AM

2. "right"
In response to Reply # 1

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59077 posts
Wed Mar-16-16 08:31 AM

3. "its sad with so many false accusations that you have to take a step back"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed Mar-16-16 08:33 AM by Cenario

and wait and the accused gotta wait to have their name cleared.

Jay Bromley from the NYG was just accused of rape but the story was clearly bs from the jump imo. (he took her to a hotel, agreed to oral sex but then allegedly forced penetration. He left, she followed him outside and confronted him while he was driving away. He doesn't stop so she jumped on his car according to video.)

WTF?

Its especially messed up if you know Bromley's story

Born addicted to crack, mom left him on stranger's doorstep at 3 months old, dad a former pimp in prison for killing a prostitute.

Oh and the accuser also tried to extort money from Taye Diggs by threatening to release his sex tape on instagram

Of course no charges were filed against Bromley but c'mon.

But its stories like that that make you pause whenever you hear any allegation messing it up for real victims.

And then, what does an org/school do when an accusation is floating in air. Put them on timeout while you investigate or is it innocent until proven guilty?

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5599 posts
Wed Mar-16-16 11:57 AM

4. "gotta let all the facts come out"
In response to Reply # 0

in these type of cases my only hope is that police give it an honest and sincere investigation and proceed based on the facts. Both parties deserve that.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Wed Mar-16-16 12:03 PM

5. "not The 'Teen...SMH. hope it ain't true."
In response to Reply # 0

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Wed Mar-16-16 06:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Every time I see him I hear either you or TKO saying he looks "doggy"."
In response to Reply # 5

And I laugh...laugh... Laugh.

That nigga beat us in 1999 and I dislike him to no end cuz he was a scrub. That being said. I hope he's innocent.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Wed Mar-16-16 07:29 PM

9. "worst ncaa champ of my lifetime. they were awful. "
In response to Reply # 8

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

melmag
Charter member
18469 posts
Wed Mar-16-16 02:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Mateen to accuser: THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Dstl1
Charter member
56065 posts
Wed Mar-16-16 05:13 PM

7. "RE: Mateen to accuser: THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4535 posts
Wed Mar-16-16 08:09 PM

10. "hahahahahaha"
In response to Reply # 7

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2525044 Previous topic | Next topic