Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2502845

Subject: "Ancillary Sports Jobs" Previous topic | Next topic
Tw3nty
Member since Jan 02nd 2007
8466 posts
Thu Dec-17-15 07:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Ancillary Sports Jobs"

Just wondering if certain jobs in sports provide living wages but also what is the path to even get into certain jobs.

Someone has to run the game clock, like how do you even get started running game clocks on an amateur level then get drafted into the pros. Like "bro, you did your thing on the clock today, I may have a spot for you at Lambeau, pays $12 an hour".

Anybody know anyone who works in those kind of jobs that can share what that life is like?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I worked a game/shot clock in college
Dec 17th 2015
i just found a job as an athletic aide at a community college
Dec 21st 2015
I know a guy that's done press box PA stuff at NFL games for a few years
Dec 17th 2015
It's good money but no hours
Dec 17th 2015
yeah i know a PA guy who just never stops working
Dec 21st 2015
I run LED animations for Seahawks, Sounders, Storm, Mariners, etc...
Dec 18th 2015
data scientist/modeler jobs are out there in the NBA
Dec 18th 2015
i ran a camera at a horse track in college
Dec 18th 2015
If it's full time/contract it's good, if not then it pays dirt
Dec 21st 2015
lol..being a laker girl isnt about the money
Dec 21st 2015
      Exactly. Perks and exposure
Dec 21st 2015
      hence the parenthetical note about her making guap as a result
Dec 21st 2015
I know people that work on the Reds production team
Dec 21st 2015

Walleye
Charter member
15527 posts
Thu Dec-17-15 08:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I worked a game/shot clock in college"
In response to Reply # 0

I worked for the athletic department at my university. I was pretty good at it, but it's a pretty replaceable skill set. My old boss is a friend and I haven't heard once "this asshole that replaced you keeps re-setting early."

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Tw3nty
Member since Jan 02nd 2007
8466 posts
Mon Dec-21-15 01:02 PM

7. "i just found a job as an athletic aide at a community college"
In response to Reply # 1

Basically running the scoreboard and shot clock.
I'm gonna put in my application just to see what happens.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Thu Dec-17-15 09:06 PM

2. "I know a guy that's done press box PA stuff at NFL games for a few years"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Dec-17-15 09:08 PM by Call It Anything

Like, "... 4 yard rush. Tackle by...". He told me what he gets for it and I don't remember exactly. I feel like it was in the $100 range, not more than $150. But he feels immense pressure to get everything right because people will yammer if he gives the wrong guy a tackle. He got the job because the guy before him was terrible, so apparently it's a fickle thing.

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Thu Dec-17-15 09:22 PM

3. "It's good money but no hours"
In response to Reply # 0

My friend's dad was the fill-in PA announcer for the Celtics back in the day and I felt like he made a hundred bucks or so per game, which given that you're only working a couple hours is a nice rate but you don't work often enough. It was more just cool to be able to be connected to the team, get his son into the locker room and get out basketball team good tickets, etc.

I have a couple of friends who are trainers. One (NBA) is very successful and makes a good living. Another (baseball) also makes solid money but he's in SoCal and can gauge rich people, which helps.

I knew a ref and you can make a middle class living that way but it's a bit of a grind, bouncing around to find games, dealing with assholes every night.

And I feel like in every case, to get started depends on who you know.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Mon Dec-21-15 01:09 PM

9. "yeah i know a PA guy who just never stops working"
In response to Reply # 3

he is the PA guy for the kings, angels and often he fills in elsewhere (clippers, reign, etc) and he works an on-air radio gig. i dont know who he fucks to get these jobs. when the padres had an opening a jokingly said he had to go in order to establish a monopoly on all so cal PA jobs. i bet he thought about it.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Dec-18-15 05:59 AM

4. "I run LED animations for Seahawks, Sounders, Storm, Mariners, etc..."
In response to Reply # 0

...on top of a full time gig at att tho

Neither the $ or hours are great & I really wanted the gig when the Sonics were here but the Seahawks have kinda made up for all the headaches lately

That & I kinda spun it off from contract work through my company to where I'm negotiating my own wages & crew through Seattle U & Gonzaga for their Key Arena games

There's a Directv sports netowrk gig I hope to nab soon. If anyone has connections holla

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Fri Dec-18-15 08:54 AM

5. "data scientist/modeler jobs are out there in the NBA"
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~~~

veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Fri Dec-18-15 03:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "i ran a camera at a horse track in college"
In response to Reply # 0

it was a great gig for college but i can't imagine being a grown person trying to make a living that way at that level.

i still blame hip-hop.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Mon Dec-21-15 01:07 PM

8. "If it's full time/contract it's good, if not then it pays dirt"
In response to Reply # 0

Like the guy who crawls through that hot ass tunnel to manually change all the numbers on the Red Sox scoreboard gets paid $50 a game for his trouble and the list to be that guy is a mile long.

I knew a girl who dropped out of college to become a Laker girl (yes, she was hot as fuck) and I was surprised to find out that they make dirt in terms of what the team pays. I think she said it was like $150 a game, say there are 50 games in a year, that's not a lot of money (though obviously she made good money modeling and other shit as a result). That's about what most stringers get paid to report on games, too (it varies but I would say $100-$200 is a very solid range).

Most jobs like you're describing are that way. A lot of people want to do them, a good number CAN do them and so naturally the pay is not very high.

But if you are like the team dentist in the NHL or you do analytics for an MLB front office or something else like that, yeah, you will make good money.

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Mon Dec-21-15 01:09 PM

10. "lol..being a laker girl isnt about the money"
In response to Reply # 8

its about the perks

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Mon Dec-21-15 01:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "Exactly. Perks and exposure"
In response to Reply # 10

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Mon Dec-21-15 02:00 PM

13. "hence the parenthetical note about her making guap as a result"
In response to Reply # 10
Mon Dec-21-15 02:02 PM by ConcreteCharlie

i'm just saying the direct pay sucks but you get a ton of eyes on you and they also get paid for the other related crap they do like calendars and videos.

she did a lot of music videos and modeling and shit. i think she lasted two seasons and part of another (her first year she came in during the year if i remember correctly). eventually she went back to school.

the kings ice girls do even worse but there are other opportunities there. the one girl became their in-arena host, another one got a job with the team doing reporting (feminine angle features) and promo stuff for their website, etc. they also are linked to the galaxy (same owners) so the girls will often work for both franchises.

THRILLHOUSE
Member since Oct 26th 2007
3655 posts
Mon Dec-21-15 01:36 PM

11. "I know people that work on the Reds production team"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-21-15 01:36 PM by THRILLHOUSE

Basically videoboard/scoreboard operations. It's just an additional part time gig for them, so probably doesn't pay a whole lot. And most of the people who run camera during the games are just college interns. (the cameras the Reds use for their videoboard anyway, can't speak for the cameras Fox Sports uses)

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2502845 Previous topic | Next topic