Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2496718

Subject: "Dave Roberts new Dodger Manager..." Previous topic | Next topic
Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Sun Nov-22-15 10:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Dave Roberts new Dodger Manager..."

I like the hire..

I'm actually glad that they went with ownership's choice over Friedman and Zaidi's guy in Kapler..

Kapler may end up being a solid manger, or front office guy...but he had no experience, and dude seems kind of weird too... didn't he write in a book or something that he sun tans his nuts to give himself more energy.... Don't want a weirdo to be the Dodger manager..

Roberts is a smart guy, he's been a coach for a second, but he was a go getter as a player... Dodgers need to get aggressive...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14188989/los-angeles-dodgers-hire-dave-roberts-manager

The Los Angeles Dodgers have hired former player Dave Roberts to replace Don Mattingly as the team's manager, a league source confirmed to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

Although the Dodgers have decided on Roberts and he has agreed to take the job, a baseball source said the two sides were still working out the final contract details as of Sunday night.

The hiring was first reported by the Los Angeles Times.

Roberts, 43, is a former Dodgers outfielder who played for the team from 2002-04. He also played for the Cleveland Indians, Boston Red Sox, San Diego Padres and San Francisco Giants during a 10-year career that ended in 2008. Roberts stole 243 bases in the regular season and played in the postseason four times.

He was the Padres' bench coach the past two seasons and managed one game in 2015 -- a 9-1 loss -- on an interim basis after Bud Black was fired and before Pat Murphy could arrive from the minor leagues to take over for the rest of the season.

Roberts joined the Padres as first-base coach in 2011. He interviewed for the Seattle Mariners' managerial opening earlier this fall before the job went to Scott Servais.

Roberts will succeed Mattingly, who mutually parted ways with the Dodgers last month after five years that included winning three consecutive NL West titles but never reaching the World Series.

Roberts, whose father is African-American and mother is Japanese, will be the first minority manager in the storied franchise's history.

He is reported to have beaten former player and current Dodgers director of player development Gabe Kapler for the position.

ESPN Insider Jim Bowden and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I don't have much opinion on the hire but...
Nov 23rd 2015
Kapler is a bit of a weirdo
Nov 23rd 2015
      He *might* have a point in terms of the lack of Vitamin D exposure
Nov 23rd 2015

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Mon Nov-23-15 12:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. " I don't have much opinion on the hire but..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Nov-23-15 12:56 AM by Call It Anything

At some point, Roberts seemed to be held up as the anti-Kapler. Which I didn't get. They were both hard-nosed journeymen players with So Cal roots. Kapler was drafted in the 57th round and played 12 years in the bigs (plus one in Japan). Both were secondary players on the 2004 Red Sox team. Roberts stole the famous bag, Kapler gave him the pep talk before he stepped out of the dug out. Both have minimal major league coaching experience but Kapler actually managed at the minor league level. Both have dabbled in broadcasting too.

These two guys have very, very similar profiles. Somehow Kapler is Friedman's golden boy and Roberts is the gritty, old school guy.

Not sure how that shook out.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Mon Nov-23-15 08:24 PM

2. "Kapler is a bit of a weirdo"
In response to Reply # 1

http://kaplifestyle.com/blog/2015/08/13/au-naturel/

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Mon Nov-23-15 08:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "He *might* have a point in terms of the lack of Vitamin D exposure "
In response to Reply # 2

However, I don't think there have been any studies on baseball players to see if his claim is true. Even if it was, he then uses an observational study with limited relevance to come up with another relatively baseless claim. His conclusion is definitely based on a lot of reaching so in sum, I agree with you lol...don't know how his takes or opinions would go over in a locker-room of professionals and from everything I've heard, Coach Roberts is extremely personable and adept at understanding how to handle a room and relationships.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2496718 Previous topic | Next topic