Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2495486

Subject: "New Zealand All Blacks Legend Jonah Lomu Dead at 40 (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Tue Nov-17-15 08:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New Zealand All Blacks Legend Jonah Lomu Dead at 40 (swipe)"

Really tragic. Rest in Peace to one of the greatest ever.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/nov/18/jonah-lomu-dies-aged-40-according-to-reports

All Blacks legend Jonah Lomu dies aged 40
Former All Blacks doctor confirmed news on Wednesday morning
‘We’re all shocked and deeply saddened’, says New Zealand Rugby CEO
Former All Blacks player Jonah Lomu died unexpectedly in Auckland on Wednesday.
Former All Blacks player Jonah Lomu died unexpectedly in Auckland on Wednesday. Photograph: Robert Hallam/Rex Shutterstock
Guardian sport
Tuesday 17 November 2015 19.14 EST Last modified on Tuesday 17 November 2015 20.07 EST

Share on Pinterest Share on LinkedIn Share on Google+
Shares
Save for later
New Zealand is mourning one of its greatest sporting heroes after the former All Blacks player Jonah Lomu died unexpectedly in Auckland on Wednesdayat the age of 40.

John Mayhew, the former All Blacks doctor, confirmed the news on Wednesday morning.

“On behalf of the Lomu family, I can confirm that Jonah Lomu died this morning, most probably about 8 or 9” Mayhew said. “The family are obviously devastated, as are friends and acquaintances.

“The family have requested privacy at this stage, they are obviously going through a terrible time. It was totally unexpected. Jonah and his family arrived back from the United Kingdom last night and he suddenly died this morning.”

Lomu had suffered from health problems since his retirement from playing in 2002 due to a rare kidney disease, nephrotic syndrome. He underwent a kidney transplant in 2004 and had been on dialysis treatment for the past 10 years.

He had recently travelled to the UK for the Rugby World Cup, during which he worked with tournament sponsors. He and his family holidayed in Dubai on their way back to New Zealand.

“We’re all shocked and deeply saddened at the sudden death of Jonah Lomu,” New Zealand Rugby chief executive Steve Tew said.

“Jonah was a legend of our game and loved by his many fans both here and around the world. We’re lost for words and our heartfelt sympathies go out to Jonah’s family.”

Jonah Lomu effort against England tops poll for greatest Rugby World Cup try
Read more
He played in 63 Tests for New Zealand after making his debut in 1994. He scored 37 tries and his physical, often brutal, running game regularly terrorised defences the world over.

The bullocking try he scored against England at the 1995 World Cup, when opposition defenders bounced off him on his way to the line, was this year voted the greatest in World Cup history.

That World Cup was the breakthrough tournament for Lomu, who had come to the selectors’ attention the previous year and made his debut aged only 19, breaking a record that had stood for 90 years as their youngest Test player.

He was a surprise selection in the squad for 1995 with only two caps, but by the end of the tournament he was probably the most famous rugby player in the world, despite the All Blacks losing the final to the Springboks.

He scored seven tries in the tournament, including four in the 45-29 semi-final defeat of England. Lomu’s 15 World Cup tries stood alone as the highest tally until they were equalled by South Africa’s Bryan Habana at this year’s tournament.

Lomu’s rise to international prominence in South Africa helped take the game to a global audience it had not previously reached.

“What it meant for rugby, that World Cup changed everything,” Lomu told the Guardian in August. “When I look at it now I understand my impact more. When they show clips of me on the TV, my sons turn and look at me. They have grown up as the sons of Jonah and it’s a daunting task trying to explain to them what I achieved.

“I don’t have any regrets. Everything that I achieved in rugby I cherished. I was in a World Cup final in South Africa against South Africa when a country became one. As Francois Pienaar said: ‘It was not 80,000 in the stadium it was 44 million.’”

i still blame hip-hop.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Awful, such a magnetic presence, one of those guys who created fans.
Nov 17th 2015
good highlight video:
Nov 18th 2015
saw someone posted a video of dude...wow...
Nov 18th 2015
RIP.
Nov 18th 2015
It's a bit more complicated, but sure, kind of
Nov 18th 2015
I still can't believe this shit.
Nov 19th 2015
He actually had kidney issues his whole career
Nov 19th 2015
      Yeah he had a transplant and still came back to play
Nov 19th 2015
      i knew about it back then, but in a way it seemed like more to the mytho...
Nov 19th 2015
RIP. Was surprised he was able to fight for this long
Nov 19th 2015
RIP
Nov 19th 2015
moving final haka as part of Lomu's sendoff
Nov 30th 2015

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Tue Nov-17-15 09:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Awful, such a magnetic presence, one of those guys who created fans."
In response to Reply # 0

Like a Wilt Chamberlain or Babe Ruth, the kind of guy that you go to see as if a 5000-pound man were coming to town. RIP.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

veritas
37201 posts
Wed Nov-18-15 12:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "good highlight video:"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/-FkJ1Wp9iko

At his peak he was basically Bo Jackson and Ronnie Lott rolled into one.

An absolute beast.

i still blame hip-hop.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Wed Nov-18-15 12:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "saw someone posted a video of dude...wow..."
In response to Reply # 0

dude was killin them out there..

rip..

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Wed Nov-18-15 05:49 AM

4. "RIP."
In response to Reply # 0

on another note...so basically rugby is kill the man w/ the ball, eh?

veritas
37201 posts
Wed Nov-18-15 09:50 AM

5. "It's a bit more complicated, but sure, kind of"
In response to Reply # 4

>on another note...so basically rugby is kill the man w/ the
>ball, eh?
>
>

i still blame hip-hop.

veritas
37201 posts
Thu Nov-19-15 12:47 AM

6. "I still can't believe this shit."
In response to Reply # 0

This is one of those rare athletes whose combination of skills makes them seem almost beyond human.

And I suppose death is the ultimate brutal reminder of humanity.

I don't usually get too terribly shook up by deaths of public figures but this one is really getting to me.

i still blame hip-hop.

blinded by the lights
Member since Aug 31st 2008
625 posts
Thu Nov-19-15 02:50 AM

7. "He actually had kidney issues his whole career"
In response to Reply # 6

What's crazy is coaches used to get mad as hell at him for being unfit, while the whole time this dude wasn't far off requiring a kidney transplant or he was going to die.

It's insane to think what he could've been like if he'd been fully healthy.

"Yes I see all the nummmberrs... I still root for the dreeeamerrs... I thank God for the dreeeamerrs..." - Mos

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Thu Nov-19-15 08:31 AM

8. "Yeah he had a transplant and still came back to play"
In response to Reply # 7

Suck on that, Bo Jackson.

Crazy shit, it's a shame he could never really stabilize his condition. Up until the end he was undergoing dialysis and had been for the better part of more than a decade.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

veritas
37201 posts
Thu Nov-19-15 12:54 PM

10. "i knew about it back then, but in a way it seemed like more to the mytho..."
In response to Reply # 7

like this dude out here dominating with someone else's kidney.

i didn't know he was having health problems recently though.

i still blame hip-hop.

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Thu Nov-19-15 12:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "RIP. Was surprised he was able to fight for this long "
In response to Reply # 0

With his long-term dialysis and kidney transplant...plus the added costs of being a professional athlete on top of all that...a true testament to his character on and off the pitch, RIP.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28847 posts
Thu Nov-19-15 02:07 PM

11. "RIP"
In response to Reply # 0

veritas
37201 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 02:29 PM

12. "moving final haka as part of Lomu's sendoff"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.facebook.com/USASevens/videos/10153700060402856/?pnref=story

if you can watch this without tearing up or getting chills i don't even know what to think of you.

i still blame hip-hop.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2495486 Previous topic | Next topic