Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2484571

Subject: "Zack Greinke to opt out of Dodgers contract (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Fri Oct-16-15 01:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Zack Greinke to opt out of Dodgers contract (swipe)"

peep the Stros Zack babyyyy!!!!...we got cheese...we got bats....and you aint gotta bat

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/25341626/zack-greinke-to-opt-out-of-dodgers-contract-command-a-big-deal

Zack Greinke to opt out of Dodgers contract, command a big deal
October 16, 2015 2:02 am ET

Zack Greinke will opt out of a contract that has $71 million over three years remaining, according to sources, and one GM suggested he should get multiple offers for $125 million over five years, at a minimum, with the likely winning bid at about $150 million over five years, or perhaps even more.

That is even better than the $147 million, six-year deal he got three years ago from LA. That was a deal that turned out to work for everyone.

Someone connected to Greinke suggested the pitcher shouldn't have any trouble getting a deal of some length (presumably meaning five to six years, at least) even though he turns 32 next Wednesday. The reason he probably isn't a threat to crack the $200 million mark, as his rotation mate Clayton Kershaw did and Max Scherzer also did, is he's seven years older than Kershaw was when he signed with the Dodgers before free agency and a couple years older than Scherzer was when he signed with the Nationals. Free agents David Price and possibly Johnny Cueto are expected to command even more because they, too, are a couple years younger than Greinke.

The Dodgers have been expecting him to opt out from the start of the season, but of course that decision was solidified as Greinke won the ERA title (1.66) with his brilliant season. Greinke, in a typical comment, explained his miraculous season this way: "Not a lot of bad things happened."

It wasn't luck either, though Greinke recalled two hard-hit balls over the course of the season with the bases juiced that were hit right to the fielder, one to second when the shift was on to save him, and one to left.

As far as the contract, Greinke, who will finish either first or second to the Cubs' Jake Arrieta in the Cy Young voting, himself declined comment when asked about it the other day.

In addition to the inceumbent Dodgers, several more big-market and others teams are expected to be in the hunt for top starting pitching, including the rival Giants plus the Red Sox, Cubs, Yankees, Tigers, Diamondbacks, Phillies, Marlins, Blue Jays, Cardinals, Braves, Rangers (and more).

Texas, which could lose freee agent Yovani Gallardo, finished second last time for Greinke and was willing to offer a similar number to the Dodgers' winning bid. Atlanta seems to make geographic sense as they train in Greinke's home area of Orlando (and play not too far away) but he may be a bit pricey for them.

While Price is someone the Dodgers admire (Price pitched for Dodgers team president Andrew Friedman's Tampa Bay Rays), Greinke might actually be more likely for the Dodgers. Although Dodgers people say Greinke didn't necessarily love every faction in last year's semi-fractured clubhouse. He wasn't necessarily down with the hurting and retiring Josh Beckett or the oft-injured Hanley Ramirez last year, according to a Dodgers connected person, but he likes this clubhouse this season , and everyone in there absolutely loves him.

So folks wouldn't be shocked if he wound up staying --- just for a lot more money than $71 million over three years.

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'd be shocked if he doesn't resign w/ the Dodgers but...
Oct 16th 2015
No surprise here
Oct 16th 2015
he's going to the giants...
Oct 16th 2015
gotta follow the cheese and bats
Oct 16th 2015
I wouldn't be surprised to see him get like 4/120M
Oct 16th 2015
It's gonna come down to the length of the deal
Oct 17th 2015
      Whatever it takes, give it to him
Oct 17th 2015
Yankees gonna step in like...
Oct 17th 2015

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Fri Oct-16-15 01:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I'd be shocked if he doesn't resign w/ the Dodgers but..."
In response to Reply # 0

How cool would it be if he went back to the Royals.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Fri Oct-16-15 01:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "No surprise here"
In response to Reply # 0

It's his last chance at a big money contract and he obviously has huge leverage with the season he just had. I can't say enough about how much I loved watching him pitch...it's gonna come down to years offered.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Flash80
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
6953 posts
Fri Oct-16-15 01:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "he's going to the giants..."
In response to Reply # 0

unfortunately.

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Fri Oct-16-15 01:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "gotta follow the cheese and bats"
In response to Reply # 0

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Fri Oct-16-15 10:18 PM

5. "I wouldn't be surprised to see him get like 4/120M"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Oct-16-15 10:18 PM by ConcreteCharlie

No surprise here, he can more money over a longer term than he has left on his current deal. This doesn't mean he is leaving LA though

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Sat Oct-17-15 07:45 PM

7. "It's gonna come down to the length of the deal"
In response to Reply # 5

I think he's gonna be holding out for 5 years, 150

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18627 posts
Sat Oct-17-15 07:57 PM

8. "Whatever it takes, give it to him"
In response to Reply # 7

Theyve got the cash.

SynsCei
Member since Mar 05th 2008
545 posts
Sat Oct-17-15 07:13 PM

6. "Yankees gonna step in like..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://38.media.tumblr.com/7416f00733b7ea086b4b1d18be4f065a/tumblr_msgs05ZUmo1sezoa7o1_500.gif

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2484571 Previous topic | Next topic