Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2465673

Subject: "Your Top Ten Players in the N.H.L. RIGHT TODAY" Previous topic | Next topic
ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 05:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Your Top Ten Players in the N.H.L. RIGHT TODAY"

I was thinking about posting an all-time list but that seems lofty, how about your top ten *right today*?

1. Price
Hard to argue right now after the season he had. Montreal was essentially a mediocre team in almost every regard and yet they had one of the league's best records. One of the most dominant seasons we have seen in a while from a goaltender, with all due respect to Thomas, Quick, Miller, et al.

2. Doughty
It's so hard to quantify what he does but statisticians are coming close. With him on the ice and without him on the ice the Kings are two different teams. They can pair him with anyone, honestly he hasn't had a partner he wasn't carrying since Willie Mitchell. He sacrifices a ton of offense but he's every bit as dynamic as Subban or Karlsson.

3. Ovechkin
He may not have the team success of other guys I considered here but he is still a force on offense and now he is back to going balls out, back-checking hard and just being the consummate threat that his talent allows him to be. I've never seen a player have so much confusion around him but now the Caps' situation seems way more stable.

4. Keith
A workhose, a greyhound, a cheetah, whatever cheesy animal comparison you want to make, it probably fits. He's everywhere forwards want to be. Look at the way he performed all playoffs and the way his timely plays swung things. Consistency and clutch. Ask Corey Perry. He's not afraid of anyone and yet Keith probably visits him in his nightmares.

5. Toews
The forward version of Doughty. He does everything and can do more. He's won everything and will win more. He's won the important stuff multiple teams. He's the most complete center in the game today, with all due respect to Kopitar, Giroux, Getzlaf, et al.

6. Crosby
Still an incredible production machine with an ever-expanding hockey imagination. He has the talent to be number one on this list and maybe well back to that point. Just incredible hands and decision-making, plus he has worked on areas where he was just OK. If he can find his groove as a leader, he will elevate himself to an all-time great.

7. Lundqvist
Still a rock in net and a clutch performer. He's someone who stands out as meticulous even among a field of staunch perfectionists. He's one of very few goalies (Price, Quick, Rinne, maybe no one else) that you can lean on to win 2-1 as often as the Rangers do. He sucks at guitar though.

8. Weber
Perhaps lost in a shuffle of an oddball schedule and the general obscurity of Nashville, he is still a beast and more. In any given game he will provide booming shots, crunching hits and a level of fastidious attention to detail matched perhaps only by his old partner Ryan Suter. He is the total package and another guy who could find himself higher on this list with just some minor improvements. Robinson, Chelios, he is cut from their cloth.

9. Giroux
Every year he gets better and more well-rounded. He's got speed, incredible passing ability, keen vision and he can shoot the puck. He and Voracek are probably the best tandem in the Eastern Conference today and are right there with the stud Western duos (Benn/Seguin, Getzlaf/Perry, et al). He loves big games and he is tough for his size. Just a bedrock of a franchise, and deserves more support around him.

10. Datsyuk
He's getting older and his body hurts but he is still one of the greatest players on the planet. Of late I think he has assumed Forsberg's position as a guy who, when he's on physically, is the best player on the planet. Unfortunately he does miss time and he does show wear sometimes when he does play. But overall he is an absolute joy to watch, incredible imagination, coordination and slickness in all areas of the game.

Honorable mentions in no particular order:

Kane- Showtime, clutch player, catch him if you can.
Getzlaf- Classic No. 1 center, big, skilled, rangy
Perry- Ultimate jerk with all the talent to back it up. Fearless.
Rinne- Incredible combination of size and agility, hockey's Big Cat.
Stamkos- Still an incredible threat at all times with the puck.
Malkin- Impossible to knock off the puck, knows what to do with it.
Kopitar- A 200-foot player that's quite similar to Toews.
Karlsson- Improving defensively, absolutely an offensive dynamo.
Subban- Flashiest player in the business, could soon be the best.
Benn- Humble, stuck in a less prominent market but a scoring machine.
Pavelski- Perhaps the most versatile star in the league if not ever.
Zetterberg- Like his teammate Datsyuk, epic when he's on.
Tavares- Probably should be in the top 10, legit superstar center.
Tarasenko- Skills for days and a true game-breaker.
Quick- Freakish athlete, ruthless competitor and big winner.
Kessel- Laser passes, lethal shot, double chin.
Giordano- Every year he gets better and now he is elite.
Parise- First-line stud with a fourth-line grinder's work ethic.
Bergeron- Two-way stud, beacon of consistency.
Suter- Eats minutes, always makes the smart play, textbook DMan.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
your list is pretty tough to argue with. just minor tweaks.
Jul 13th 2015
RE: your list is pretty tough to argue with. just minor tweaks.
Jul 13th 2015
      its time to LTIR Franzen. for his own good as much as the team's.
Jul 13th 2015
           RE: its time to LTIR Franzen. for his own good as much as the team's.
Jul 13th 2015
Kopi and Bergeron in at 9 and 10
Jul 13th 2015
RE: Kopi and Bergeron in at 9 and 10
Jul 13th 2015
I kinda feel remiss not putting Seguin and Hedman somewhere in there
Jul 14th 2015
wow as much as i hear about subban i figured he'd be top 10.
Jul 14th 2015
oops dbl tap
Jul 14th 2015
its tough...league is like 700 dudes and they all play every gm
Jul 14th 2015
yeah when you put it like that top 20 is pretty fuckin good.
Jul 15th 2015
      roster sizes are fairly similar to baseball with more every day players
Jul 15th 2015
Both are highly debatable
Jul 14th 2015
      RE: Both are highly debatable
Jul 14th 2015
           I think next season, finally
Jul 14th 2015
                o u rolling like dat doggie?
Jul 14th 2015
                i try to remain vaguely anonymous but it's not hard to find
Jul 14th 2015
                     Inbox your writing, hoe
Jul 16th 2015
                          There are way better people to follow
Jul 16th 2015
                               Nigga, if you don't STFU and inbox your writing
Jul 16th 2015
                                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_MLKn4kNPM
Jul 16th 2015
                Doughty got so screwed this year
Jul 15th 2015
                Well he was a finalist and his team did miss the playoffs
Jul 15th 2015
                should definitely be two different awards
Jul 17th 2015
                     yeah i think it should be all-around and defensive, not O/D
Jul 17th 2015
Pretty solid list.
Jul 15th 2015
Yeah I think Doughty remains slept on
Jul 15th 2015
I haven't been into Hockey since 1997. I only recognize two names
Jul 16th 2015
Jaromir Jagr is still playing (!)
Jul 16th 2015
Goalies are almost a different comparison
Jul 17th 2015
IMO it goes #1 D, #1 C and then wingers. Goalies are different, yeah.
Jul 17th 2015

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35245 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 05:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "your list is pretty tough to argue with. just minor tweaks."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-13-15 06:01 PM by cgonz00cc

Kopitar in, giroux out

And im leaning toward Ovechkin at #1. Ive been a vocal member of his hate parade but he took away every ounce of ammo i had over the last year. If he does it again im sold.

And youre right about my Euro Twins. Their spots are entirely dependent on their health levels. Ive seen each of them look like top 5ers at times over the last 18 months, and other times they look like its taking everything they have just to take the ice. Fingers crossed for 75 games each this year and a feather Cup in their caps with help from the young guns

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 06:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: your list is pretty tough to argue with. just minor tweaks."
In response to Reply # 1

>Kopitar in, giroux out

I could see that but my gripe with both Kopitar and Getzlaf is that they are not assertive enough offensively. I realize that they both score a lot of points while almost never cheating for them, but to varying degrees they have been unable to come up with the big points in the big games. That's what I think separates Toews from them and also what I think separates Giroux from them. I think most would agree if not for the bipolar management of the Flyers recent years. Get older, get younger, get older, get younger, and accumulate bad contracts in the process.

>And im leaning toward Ovechkin at #1. Ive been a vocal member
>of his hate parade but he took away every ounce of ammo i had
>over the last year. If he does it again im sold.

If I were doing it over more time I would have him ahead of Price and he and Doughty would slug it out for number one. There is no one who possesses more skill and physically imposing qualities. He could easily be No. 1 this time next year for me and I considered him this time for sure.

>And youre right about my Euro Twins. Their spots are entirely
>dependent on their health levels. Ive seen each of them look
>like top 5ers at times over the last 18 months, and other
>times they look like its taking everything they have just to
>take the ice. Fingers crossed for 75 games each this year and
>a feather Cup in their caps with help from the young guns

Datsyuk is one of these guys who needs close to his full capacity, if not he really drops off although he doesn't hurt you. Hank has really been fighting it with his back, too. I can't see things aligning right, they have a lot of talent but they need everyone to grow up over night. Obviously Franzen's setback is big. Goaltending situation is not exactly rock solid. They are kind of two teams in one, a young up-and-comer and a bunch of very seasoned veterans. Normally that would sound great but I think the disparity is too big.

cgonz00cc
35245 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 06:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "its time to LTIR Franzen. for his own good as much as the team's."
In response to Reply # 2

there's really 3 main reasons i think they will make a serious run this year

1) Green gives them 4 legit top 4 defenseman (while lacking that one "elite" guy). Havent had that since Stuart and Rafalski were around.

2) Brad Richards will FINALLY let Pav and Z skate together every night with Justin Abdelkader (who im close to moving to honorable mention territory)

3) Tomas Tatar is about to become a star. Ppl here were all about Nyquist for the last year or 2, but Ta-STAR is having his coming out party this year.

The goaltending situation im not that worried about. Id actually like them to trade Mrazek while they are still operating from a position of strength. Jimmy Howard wont bring back even half of his equivalent value if he doesnt win the job.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 06:54 PM

4. "RE: its time to LTIR Franzen. for his own good as much as the team's."
In response to Reply # 3

I mean Tatar was practically a 30-goal scorer, I don't think he is sneaking up on anyone. I really like him and I love Pulkkinen, he seemed to go from chic to forgotten. He always had a steep curve and in a couple years I think he will be a stud or at least a semi-stud.

Still I just don't see them winning this race against time. Green is a decent addition but not a difference-maker, and of course they are undergoing a significant but not total transition behind the bench. It doesn't really matter because I think they can keep building and have a contender with the young guys as the core 3-4 years down the line.

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 10:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Kopi and Bergeron in at 9 and 10"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-13-15 11:02 PM by RobOne4

dont care who goes 9 or 10. Also I am knocking Price down a lot further. Yes it was an insane season. But it was a season.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 10:58 PM

6. "RE: Kopi and Bergeron in at 9 and 10"
In response to Reply # 5

"The best compliment I can give (Kopitar) is that I think he's like Pavel Datsyuk." Willie Mitchell.

I couldn't take Pav's spot away, not til he's dead lol. Kopitar and Tavares will both be super concrete on this list soon.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Tue Jul-14-15 12:32 PM

7. "I kinda feel remiss not putting Seguin and Hedman somewhere in there"
In response to Reply # 0

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Tue Jul-14-15 01:24 PM

8. "wow as much as i hear about subban i figured he'd be top 10."
In response to Reply # 0

i dont watch hockey much but im surprised how many people i recognize.

so ovie really better than crosby now?

<--- Big Baller World Order

cgonz00cc
35245 posts
Tue Jul-14-15 01:39 PM

"oops dbl tap"
Tue Jul-14-15 01:39 PM by cgonz00cc

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

cgonz00cc
35245 posts
Tue Jul-14-15 01:39 PM

9. "its tough...league is like 700 dudes and they all play every gm"
In response to Reply # 8

(Excluding backup goalies)

So the top 10 is really only the top seventh of the top 1%

And yeah for my money RIGHT TODAY Ovie > Sid

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Wed Jul-15-15 09:07 PM

19. "yeah when you put it like that top 20 is pretty fuckin good."
In response to Reply # 9

<--- Big Baller World Order

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Jul-15-15 09:11 PM

20. "roster sizes are fairly similar to baseball with more every day players"
In response to Reply # 19

23 players on a roster, 20 that dress, 19 of whom will play on a given night. but the guys on the fourth line and in some cases the third defensive pairing don't play much (between 5 and 15 minutes a game).

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Tue Jul-14-15 01:52 PM

10. "Both are highly debatable "
In response to Reply # 8

Subban could easily have been in the top 10 (incidentally he is my favorite player), I would say if I had to rank the HMs he'd probably be like #12 or #13. He is still putting together his defensive game. He and Karlsson would both be in a lot of top 10s as defensemen go. They are both young and IMHO not as complete as Doughty, Weber and Keith yet. To me defense is still about defense first.

Crosby and Ovechkin have jockeyed over the years and at almost any given time you could find people arguing one over the other. There was a stretch where Sid was clearly playing better. This past season, Ovechkin was clearly the best forward in the league. He is also really chugging toward a high pace on the all-time goals list, having an A-Rod type start to his career.

RobOne4
56697 posts
Tue Jul-14-15 07:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "RE: Both are highly debatable "
In response to Reply # 10

> To me defense is
>still about defense first.

do you vote for the Norris? If not you need to.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Tue Jul-14-15 07:37 PM

12. "I think next season, finally"
In response to Reply # 11

I would have voted for Doughty this year but I was certain Karlsson would win.

The Norris voting this year I thought had six legit candidates, the three nominees plus Keith, Weber and Giordano.

Some people have become so sick of the points-total-driven Norris Trophy that they want a separate award for the best defensive defenseman. The Rod Langway Trophy or something. If they add that, I think it should be voted on by the GMs.

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Tue Jul-14-15 07:57 PM

13. "o u rolling like dat doggie? "
In response to Reply # 12

Good for you

You have shitty breath in general but are stellar
homo sapien when it comes to hockey

please link us to your work

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Tue Jul-14-15 08:02 PM

14. "i try to remain vaguely anonymous but it's not hard to find"
In response to Reply # 13
Tue Jul-14-15 08:03 PM by ConcreteCharlie

also you would be surprised how easy it is to get a vote on awards and crap, in any league. you pretty much just have to belong in the writers' association of that particular sport.

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Thu Jul-16-15 07:03 AM

21. "Inbox your writing, hoe"
In response to Reply # 14

Despite the fact that you have awful breath, I'm willing
to be a finger you're an outstanding hockey writer because
you know so much about a lot of different sports, so you know
what to emphasize in your writing

I've been looking for a good hockey writer to follow, so
lemme get that

I can also send you some Listerine

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Thu Jul-16-15 10:45 AM

22. "There are way better people to follow"
In response to Reply # 21

Eric Duhatsek is a great writer, Pierre LeBrun is super connected, Adam Proteau writes from a more progressive perspective and Lisa Dillman is really good out west.

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Thu Jul-16-15 11:03 AM

23. "Nigga, if you don't STFU and inbox your writing"
In response to Reply # 22

Inbox, hoe

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Thu Jul-16-15 11:07 AM

24. "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_MLKn4kNPM"
In response to Reply # 23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_MLKn4kNPM

RobOne4
56697 posts
Wed Jul-15-15 02:03 AM

15. "Doughty got so screwed this year"

so many voters left him out of his top 5 they should lose their privileges. Like okay it was close at the top. So put him 1 or 2. Shit I am fine with you putting him at 3. But to just be like yeah we arent voting for him at all. Shows how little attention these fucks pay to the west coast.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Jul-15-15 02:08 AM

16. "Well he was a finalist and his team did miss the playoffs"
In response to Reply # 15

I think he is overlooked in a relative way but I think overall people know how good he is now. The Olympics certainly helped his profile.

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 09:04 AM

27. "should definitely be two different awards"

then we can retroactively give Mike Green one for 2008-09

But that aside, I do think it really makes sense these days for it to be two different awards.

Then it would be hot if a guy swept both in one season.

>Some people have become so sick of the points-total-driven
>Norris Trophy that they want a separate award for the best
>defensive defenseman. The Rod Langway Trophy or something. If
>they add that, I think it should be voted on by the GMs.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 09:34 AM

29. "yeah i think it should be all-around and defensive, not O/D"
In response to Reply # 27

and that would be the big achievement, for one guy to sweep both.

some people also think the awards should be renamed but to that i say bah! i already think it would be better if they went back to the old names of the divisions and conferences.

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Wed Jul-15-15 06:10 PM

17. "Pretty solid list."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jul-15-15 06:11 PM by denny

I don't watch enough to have a valid opinion. But if I was starting an expansion team and had my druthers....I would take Kopitar over every forward in your top ten other than Toews and Crosby. That's just me though. And I agree that Doughty should be up where you put him. He's just simply the 'best hockey player' in the world imo. I'm sure it would be controversial amongst alot of hockey people but it's the truth.

It's tough to balance out though....cause the most 'exciting to watch' players would be guys like Ovechkin, Kessel, Subban.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Jul-15-15 08:53 PM

18. "Yeah I think Doughty remains slept on"
In response to Reply # 17

For similar reasons as Kopitar but the difference to me is that Kopitar is steady whereas Doughty is both steady and dynamic. He can turn it out and steal a game. Kopitar is also overlooked, he just covers so much ground and is so good defensively. How he has not won a Selke is beyond me. Getzlaf is also very rangy. If both guys were more aggressive shooting the puck, I think they'd be better players and get recognized more.

I am very excited to see Kessel in Pittsburgh, I feel like he seldom had linemates who could really keep up with him and obviously last year he phoned in a good portion of the season. He's kind of like the David Wells of right wingers, looks out of shape but is generally very durable and very consistent.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Thu Jul-16-15 04:25 PM

25. "I haven't been into Hockey since 1997. I only recognize two names"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Thu Jul-16-15 04:26 PM

26. "Jaromir Jagr is still playing (!)"
In response to Reply # 25

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 09:27 AM

28. "Goalies are almost a different comparison"
In response to Reply # 0

And I'd have to account for the fact that your average center is more valuable than a comparable winger.

It's like QB vs WR almost.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 09:55 PM

30. "IMO it goes #1 D, #1 C and then wingers. Goalies are different, yeah."
In response to Reply # 28

Like on a "right today" list I am comfortable mashing everything today but on an all-time list I feel like skaters and goalies should be separate, if not a separate list for each position.

All-time list is very tough. Two guys I struggle to rank are Jagr and Marcel Dionne. I think I would have them higher than most lists do but I am not sure how high.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2465673 Previous topic | Next topic