Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2437078

Subject: "Oral History of the 1990 Orlando Magic" Previous topic | Next topic
-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 01:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Oral History of the 1990 Orlando Magic"

http://grantland.com/1990s-orlando-magic-oral-history/

(The intro paragraphs)

They were destined for greatness. Back in the mid-1990s, you couldn’t imagine a more promising basketball pairing than the Orlando Magic’s Shaquille O’Neal and Anfernee “Penny” Hardaway. O’Neal was powerful and agile, plus swift and skillful in a way that hadn’t been seen in a 7-footer since Wilt Chamberlain (and hasn’t been seen since O’Neal retired). Hardaway was seen as the rightful heir to Magic Johnson — a tall, transcendent point guard who would headline the new generation of NBA superstars. If you wanted to build an ideal basketball team, you would start with a center and a point guard. If you wanted to build the perfect team, you would start with O’Neal and Hardaway. The Magic, only a few years removed from their lowly expansion-team origins, skyrocketed to fame with their abundant talent and black-and-white pinstripes. O’Neal and Hardaway were surrounded by capable role players like Dennis Scott, Brian Shaw, Nick Anderson, and Horace Grant. Together, they seemed poised to become the NBA’s next dynasty.

Perhaps no NBA team has ever featured two players more marketable than O’Neal and Hardaway. The two filmed Blue Chips together and became dueling campaign faces for Nike and Reebok. O’Neal had his wide smile and an outsize personality to match his towering physique. Hardaway was more reserved, but possessed that unforgettable nickname and a Chris Rock–voiced alter ego to talk trash for him. The possibilities seemed endless, as if the championship rings and parades would be a formality.
And then it ended. The Magic’s competitive window slammed shut faster than anyone imagined, thanks to O’Neal’s unexpected departure to Los Angeles, the firing of Magic coach Brian Hill, and the decline of Hardaway’s game thanks to knee injuries. It took years for the franchise to build another competitive team, and even though the Dwight Howard–led Magic reached the NBA Finals in 2009, the pride mixed with disappointment from 1995 and ’96 remained strong.

The Shaq and Penny Magic are in an unfortunate class similar to the ’70s Blazers, ’80s Rockets, or 2000s Kings — a story of unfulfilled potential and a dynasty that never was. “We were just having so much fun playing the game,” Scott said. “We weren’t really thinking about making history or understanding how good we really could be. All that stuff was happening so fast.”
Penny and Shaq. Shaq and Penny. For a brief time — they played only three seasons together — most of the NBA believed no one could stop them. Everyone quoted in this piece is identified by the positions they played or jobs they had during the mid-1990s. Phil Jackson declined interviews for this oral history.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
good read... btw, it's an oral history of the 1990s* Magic
Apr 17th 2015
LMAO. That probably killed half of y'all from reading it
Apr 17th 2015
I know it delayed my clicking
Apr 17th 2015
yeah, I only clicked because I was curious why it had replies
Apr 19th 2015
pretty much...i thought it was about their inaugural season.
Apr 21st 2015
Would just be a bunch of people telling stories about his coke problem.
Apr 21st 2015
peeped this a couple of days ago. awesome article
Apr 18th 2015
ost memorable for me was being at the Orena for the draft party in 93
Apr 19th 2015
seems pretty stupid, they won that trade handily
Apr 19th 2015
In hindsight maybe. At the time it was not liked in central FL
Apr 19th 2015
Whoa...what's wild is that I was actually in Florida, but Tallahassee
Apr 20th 2015
most fun team to watch of the '90s IMO
Apr 21st 2015
My favorite team of my lifetime.
Apr 21st 2015
I think they were ranked the #1 NBA Jam team EVERYWHERE I went
Apr 21st 2015
      Yep for sure. Them and the Hornets were typically top 2...
Apr 21st 2015

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 11:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "good read... btw, it's an oral history of the 1990s* Magic"
In response to Reply # 0

i saw the OP and was like 1990? what's this about, the struggles of scott skiles? foh

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 01:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "LMAO. That probably killed half of y'all from reading it"
In response to Reply # 1

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 11:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I know it delayed my clicking"
In response to Reply # 2

I was thinking "I just read a long piece on the shitty expansion Caps and saw a documentary on the Bucs 0-14 team. I'm good"

This sounds great, bookmarked. Blue Chips. The Dennis Scott meltdown in front of all those kids. I really hope that is in here.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18628 posts
Sun Apr-19-15 02:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "yeah, I only clicked because I was curious why it had replies"
In response to Reply # 2

thinking "they are really talking about the 1990 Orlando Magic in here"?

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59176 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 08:33 AM

12. "pretty much...i thought it was about their inaugural season."
In response to Reply # 2

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 08:30 AM

11. "Would just be a bunch of people telling stories about his coke problem."
In response to Reply # 1

>i saw the OP and was like 1990? what's this about, the
>struggles of scott skiles? foh

I guess it *could* be interesting...

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

MaxPtah
Member since Mar 06th 2007
5837 posts
Sat Apr-18-15 05:25 AM

4. "peeped this a couple of days ago. awesome article"
In response to Reply # 0

----------------------------------
www.maxptah.com
"you gotta be real white to hate on a nxgga for eating." (c) okp infin8

ImPerfectNick
Member since May 04th 2005
3463 posts
Sun Apr-19-15 12:28 PM

5. "ost memorable for me was being at the Orena for the draft party in 93"
In response to Reply # 0

I was 8. When Pat Williams announced the Webber for Penny trade there was nearly a riot. Prolly the most vitriol I've ever felt in person.

Everybody's got opinions on the way you're living but see they can't fill your shoes... Life is made of half-illusions... forty percent confusion, whatever's left I'm using... to keep myself from losing, yeah.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sun Apr-19-15 01:14 PM

6. "seems pretty stupid, they won that trade handily"
In response to Reply # 5

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

dillinjah
Charter member
9025 posts
Sun Apr-19-15 03:16 PM

8. "In hindsight maybe. At the time it was not liked in central FL"
In response to Reply # 6

I remember being angry about it myself, but mostly cause I didn't know what Hardaway would become (never watched him when he was on Memphis)

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 06:23 PM

9. "Whoa...what's wild is that I was actually in Florida, but Tallahassee"
In response to Reply # 5

and my dad's mom was there, who's from Memphis...so ALL she knew was Penny. When they got him, she was hype, and I figured everyone else was too.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 08:16 AM

10. "most fun team to watch of the '90s IMO"
In response to Reply # 0

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 08:35 AM

13. "My favorite team of my lifetime."
In response to Reply # 0

I was a HUGE Magic/Shaq/Penny fan during their peak. Was like 12 when Shaq left and was DEVASTATED. Hated him for years afterward. Literally took me til like 2007 to get over it.

Still a huge Penny fan to this day. He could've been a top 10 guy had he stayed healthy and had a little more killer instinct. Always felt that his injuries were worse because he just didn't have that trash-talk type attitude needed in that era of the NBA. But still. In his prime he was so fucking fun to watch.

I loved that starting 5.

Penny
Nick
Dennis
Horce
Shaq

They could've done big things for years had Orlando not fucked up Shaq's contract. I'm sure there's a little revisionist history going on on Shaq's side of things to make it seem more like he had no choice in the matter but the truth is probably somewhere in the middle of both stories, meaning they should've fucking got it done. Had they paid him what he was "worth"(according to that era of NBA ridiculousness in contracts) they would've been dominant through the early 00s I think.

Penny dunking on Ewing was the best play ever. I vividly remember where I was watching that and I went apeshit.

Shaq tearing down hoops was so fun.

Man I loved that squad. Could gush for hours but I got work to do haha.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 10:23 AM

14. "I think they were ranked the #1 NBA Jam team EVERYWHERE I went"
In response to Reply # 13

in the Summer of 93, probably onto TE in 94.

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 10:40 AM

15. "Yep for sure. Them and the Hornets were typically top 2..."
In response to Reply # 14

Also top 2 Starter jackets for years. I had the Magic one, of course, but the Hornets one was probably more popular since chicks would buy it due to the colors.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2437078 Previous topic | Next topic