Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2410878

Subject: "Too little too late? Manny vs Floyd on May 2nd?" Previous topic | Next topic
Y2Flound
Member since Aug 16th 2005
9819 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 08:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Too little too late? Manny vs Floyd on May 2nd?"
Wed Jan-14-15 08:22 AM by Y2Flound

I don't know, in my mind the time for this fight has passed, Pac has lost a few steps, and the idea of this fight is no longer the mega fight we were looking for a few years ago. Will people still be hyped for this?

*Edit Also realizing that this is just a story put out by Manny's side and Floyd has nothing to do with it. Reading can be fun

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing/promoter-says-manny-pacquiao-has-agreed-to-terms-for-floyd-mayweather-fight-012634983.html

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
By April 29th everyone that already doesnt hate floyd, will
Jan 14th 2015
I think it's relevant again
Jan 14th 2015
what proved to you he was rejuvanated
Jan 14th 2015
Tyson - Holyfield
Jan 14th 2015
it's going be huge regardless
Jan 14th 2015
Nah, everyone will get on board if it happens.
Jan 14th 2015
its relevant enough to see Floyd whoop his ass
Jan 14th 2015
^^^correct answer
Jan 14th 2015
RE: Too little too late? Manny vs Floyd on May 2nd?
Jan 14th 2015
Yes, but mainly because it's the ONLY mega fight out there and it's
Jan 14th 2015
floyd fittin to get knocked the fuck out
Jan 14th 2015
Pac seems like he wants this fight more, too
Jan 14th 2015
On: Manny's ko power.
Jan 14th 2015
      the ppl he hasn't KO'd haven't been KO'd by ....anyone...ever
Jan 14th 2015
           You know who else hasn't been KO'd by anyone, ever
Jan 14th 2015
           what's your point?
Jan 14th 2015
           lol @ you bringing up old shit
Jan 14th 2015
           Punching power doesn't exclusively mean a fighter has to knock
Jan 14th 2015
It's not too late for Floyd.....
Jan 14th 2015
Um, Floyd is the OLDER fighter
Jan 14th 2015
      RE: Um, Floyd is the OLDER fighter
Jan 14th 2015
           honestly i still think manny is all around faster than floyd
Jan 14th 2015
           pretty much
Jan 14th 2015
                Y'all coppin pleas already
Jan 14th 2015
                NOPE
Jan 14th 2015
                     he changed his mind about working with bob arum too apparently
Jan 14th 2015
                RE: pretty much
Jan 14th 2015
                     RE: pretty much
Jan 14th 2015
in other news....Thurman vs. Robert Guerrero on March 7th and...
Jan 14th 2015
daymmm on NBC??? oh shit thats a win for us all
Jan 14th 2015
      yea broner is fighting molina too on NBC
Jan 14th 2015

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66746 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 08:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "By April 29th everyone that already doesnt hate floyd, will"
In response to Reply # 0

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 11:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I think it's relevant again"
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't care a year ago becuase Manny was a shell of his former self. Manny looks rejuenated now, and Floyd seems more vulnerable than he ever has. It actually projects as a competitive fight for the first time since 2011.

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 01:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "what proved to you he was rejuvanated"
In response to Reply # 2

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

lazyboi
Charter member
134473 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 11:07 AM

3. "Tyson - Holyfield "
In response to Reply # 0

"If you wanna help us, fine. Sit down with your kids and make 'em study at night...otherwise, shoot THIS mothaf*cka!" (c) Morgan Freeman,

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 11:16 AM

4. "it's going be huge regardless"
In response to Reply # 0

floyd looks the most vulnerable he's ever looked and manny did enough against bradley + the white bol to appear rejuvenated

manny has basically conceded on everything floyd wants and floyd seems satisfied with the split
and floyd has no other options out there
also the ppl cutting floyd the checks are pushing for this heavy now
i'm not sure floyd there are other options for him

~~~~~~

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 11:18 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Nah, everyone will get on board if it happens. "
In response to Reply # 0

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4381 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 11:20 AM

6. "its relevant enough to see Floyd whoop his ass"
In response to Reply # 0

Selassie I God
Member since Feb 21st 2006
10355 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 11:25 AM

7. "^^^correct answer"
In response to Reply # 6

____
Some will tell you that they love you but they've got an ulterior motive - Oh what a shame
They will tell you that they need you but they've got an ulterior motive - Personal gain

(c) Luciano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg0-qndkemo

MarkyMark
Member since Dec 04th 2009
760 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 11:30 AM

8. "RE: Too little too late? Manny vs Floyd on May 2nd?"
In response to Reply # 0

Remember in like 1988 when rumors started popping about a Freddy vs Jason movie... and then we didn't get that shit until the 2000s... yeah

vee-lover
Member since Jul 30th 2007
20388 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 11:40 AM

9. "Yes, but mainly because it's the ONLY mega fight out there and it's"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-14-15 11:41 AM by vee-lover

still going to be incredibly hyped and marketed to draw ppl's interest in it

But from a competitive standpoint it doesn't have the same appeal (for me) as it would have had let's say 6 yrs ago

Neither are at their peak by any means

The idea of Pacquiao being invincible is no longer there despite how good he's looked in his last few fights (his KO power has strangely diminished)

Floyd is still a superb boxer but he has gotten touched in some of his previous fights and he will be turning *38* next month

I'll definitely watch it but I still be wondering, In SPITE OF WHO WINS, what would this matchup have been like had both fighters fought at the peak of their powers

grassrootsphilosopher

southphillyman
90059 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 11:43 AM

10. "floyd fittin to get knocked the fuck out"
In response to Reply # 9

makes sense for him tho
cause he can parlay the L into an even bigger check for his last fight

~~~~~~

vee-lover
20388 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 12:11 PM

11. "Pac seems like he wants this fight more, too"
In response to Reply # 10

>makes sense for him tho
>cause he can parlay the L into an even bigger check for his
>last fight

grassrootsphilosopher

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 12:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "On: Manny's ko power."
In response to Reply # 9

I'd like that if someone more knowledgeable than me spoke on this.

But if you look at Manny's record, like 35 of his 38 kos came when he was lighter. Since he's moved up to welterweight, he's only ko'd Hatton and Cotto (and Oscar I guess). Now, those were probably his most dominating performances too. Butthey haven't been the "rule" since he's come up in weight.

Since Cotto, he's fought 9 times. All of them except his loss to Marquez, went all 12. Despite not knocking people out in 6 years, we've still seen him destroy some people.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

southphillyman
90059 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 01:47 PM

15. " the ppl he hasn't KO'd haven't been KO'd by ....anyone...ever"
In response to Reply # 12
Wed Jan-14-15 01:52 PM by southphillyman

bradley, clottey, jmm, rios, mosley, algeri
marg had been knocked out by mosley but manny literally crushed his face
it's kind of a overhyped point ppl bring up and dumb when you look at it in context
mosley said manny was the hardest puncher he ever faced and that's coming from a dude who fought vernon forest and a prime DLH

~~~~~~

John Forte
15361 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 01:53 PM

17. "You know who else hasn't been KO'd by anyone, ever"
In response to Reply # 15

Floyd. Manny has been KTFO by suck luminaries as Rustico Torrecampo, Medgoen Singsurat and a dude who got man-handled by Floyd.

southphillyman
90059 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 02:00 PM

18. "what's your point?"
In response to Reply # 17

you're bringing up ppl manny lost to 15 yrs ago like u mad or something

if you think manny can't beat floyd because he won't knock him out then just say that
personally i think a knockDOWN or two will be good enough to do the job

~~~~~~

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 02:03 PM

20. "lol @ you bringing up old shit"
In response to Reply # 17

>Floyd. Manny has been KTFO by suck luminaries as Rustico
>Torrecampo, Medgoen Singsurat

vee-lover
20388 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 02:37 PM

28. "Punching power doesn't exclusively mean a fighter has to knock"
In response to Reply # 15
Wed Jan-14-15 03:04 PM by vee-lover

his opponent out...

Case and point: the fighters you listed below

>bradley

Pacquiao never seriously hurt or had him in serious danger in neither of their fights...but Provodnikov who is a smaller fighter gave him a concussion and rocked him several times in that fight

, clottey,

Even though Pacquiao didn't knock him out, he had him in a turtle-shell defense thee entire fight...because he tasted Pacquaio's power early in that fight and decided he wasn't going to trade w/him at all and as a result it was a very boring fight - but we witnessed Pacquiao's punching power w/o seeing it in that fight

I no longer see Manny's opponents afraid of his punching power like Clottey was

jmm,

The fights w/Marquez doesn't count imo in regards to this topic because of their history - you just expected it to be a tough fight whenever they faced each other - but I will say their last fight is unfair to judge Manny the fighter by because I sincerely believe Marquez had an unfair advantage in that fight ...and Pacquiao was dominating that fight before he got caught

rios,

Pacquiao actually looked a little gun shy in this fight since it was his first fight after being KTFO

mosley,

Ironic that you bring up Mosley since it was Mosley who explicitly advised Floyd after his fight w/Mayeather to demand random drug testing if he fought Pacquiao because I believe he felt like a lot of fighters (and trainers) felt that it didn't make sense for guys who were naturally bigger fighters than Manny to be getting knocked out and/or beat senseless by him - you just never seen that in boxing...especially for a guy who moved up in as many weight classes as Pacquiao did...he was coming in fights at catch-weights and still destroying fighters

algeri

The inexperienced Algeri was right there in Pacquiao's face the whole night...even after he got dropped, he got right up fought gamely.

Oh, and I didn't mention the fight where Manny looked unbeatable...Miguel Cotto

Pacquiao didn't knock him out either but he damn near disfigured his face - that was a brutal display of punching power.

Ditto for the Margarita fight

Tony Atlas said on '1st Take' last year what I had been saying on here in the last year and a half that Pacquiao looked like a fighter who was no longer juicin which resulted in his diminishing KO power

My belief/theory is that he got off the PEDS to prepare himself for the mandatory drug testing he would have to undergo if he fought Floyd

The flip side is that I've seen some improvement in his boxing skills in his last few fights - better footwork/better defense/more patience in the ring/better head movement...I just don't see that devastating punching power that had a much bigger Dela Hoya QUITTTING in the ring..

>marg had been knocked out by mosley but manny literally
>crushed his face
>it's kind of a overhyped point ppl bring up and dumb when you
>look at it in context
>mosley said manny was the hardest puncher he ever faced and
>that's coming from a dude who fought vernon forest and a prime
>DLH

grassrootsphilosopher

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 01:28 PM

13. "It's not too late for Floyd....."
In response to Reply # 0

Dude pretty much shamelessly held out so he could get a less threatening Pac Man...

Floyd ran out most of the clock. Now folks will be able to see two aging fighters in a match-up that should have happened years ago...

What a chicken shit game plan....

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

John Forte
15361 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 01:37 PM

14. "Um, Floyd is the OLDER fighter"
In response to Reply # 13

and this version of Pacman is the most threatening version we've seen since 2011

murph71
23113 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 02:03 PM

19. "RE: Um, Floyd is the OLDER fighter"
In response to Reply # 14
Wed Jan-14-15 02:03 PM by murph71

>and this version of Pacman is the most threatening version
>we've seen since 2011

Pac's age should not be put in a vacuum...This is about how age affects fighting styles...

The thing with Floyd is his style works even better at an older age. He rarely gets hit...he's a very defensive fighter and knows how to stick and move and get his gloves on his man....

Pac was more dependent on his power.....This is not an age thing in itself. Floyd knew that Pac could knock him out and wanted no parts of a him when he was still relatively in his prime.

So Floyd waited out the clock, hid behind those Manny-PED charges....Now he has no fear of Manny and rightly so....That power is no longer scary. And we all know power is one of the first things to go the older u get. For a defensive, elusive fighter like Floyd this is the perfect game plan....

southphillyman
90059 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 02:07 PM

21. "honestly i still think manny is all around faster than floyd"
In response to Reply # 19
Wed Jan-14-15 02:09 PM by southphillyman

the hand speed is probably equal or whatever but manny puts his punches together way more than floyd does
the no power thing is overstated like i said above
he's still a top 3 puncher in the division , i'd only put thurman above him right now and even he looked human in his last fight
he's less dangerous than when he had DLH and Cotto flat out quitting in the ring
but it's still a dangerous fight for floyd

~~~~~~

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 02:10 PM

22. "pretty much"
In response to Reply # 19

I wasn't gonna fight you THEN

But I'll fight you NOW

gtfoh

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 02:22 PM

24. "Y'all coppin pleas already"
In response to Reply # 22

Hahahahaha hahaha hahahahaha hahahahaha

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 02:23 PM

25. "NOPE"
In response to Reply # 24

BUT PAC GOT KNOCKED OUT THO

BUT PAC ON ROIDS THO

BUT PAC DON'T DESERVE 50/50 THO

southphillyman
90059 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 02:26 PM

27. "he changed his mind about working with bob arum too apparently"
In response to Reply # 25

i don't believe any of them shits were real issues
it was all about him taking the fight when he wanted to*

*he still ain't sign a contract yet. there's still time for him to "retire" again

~~~~~~

murph71
23113 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 02:25 PM

26. "RE: pretty much"
In response to Reply # 22

>I wasn't gonna fight you THEN
>
>But I'll fight you NOW
>
>gtfoh

This^^^^

It's quite clever....And on that bullshit.

When people ask me why I continually give the side eye to Floyd beyond dude being a serial woman beater amongst other things this is precisely why...

Joe. L never ducked...
The original Sugar never ducked...
Ali never ducked...
Crazy ass Tyson fought everybody even if he took L's
Hagler, Hit Man, Duran, Sugar Ray...they beat the hell out of each other....

So the one guy that threatened Floyd's legacy was put on a watch-list like he was blowing up shit in the Middle East...

Nah...There's no reason to respect that. This fight should have happened YEARS ago...We all know the promoters on both sides were bullshitting.

But Floyd could have made that fight whenever he wanted to...Now he decides to do it after Manny got knocked out and is on some comeback shit...

Ha! And Floyd is THE GOAT?

Tommy-B
Member since Mar 03rd 2013
524 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 03:40 PM

31. "RE: pretty much"
In response to Reply # 26

agreed completely

talent-wise he may possibly be a contender for GOAT, but all this ducking keeps him out of the convo

If you're innocent, be cool.
Only the guilty's catchin' offence.

southphillyman
90059 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 02:16 PM

23. "in other news....Thurman vs. Robert Guerrero on March 7th and..."
In response to Reply # 0

Danny Garcia vs. Lamont Peterson in April
all on NBC ....not showtime
wow showtime took a L with this mayweather contract and got played by haymon who won't even reward them with his young talent

~~~~~~

JAESCOTT777
Member since Feb 18th 2006
28487 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 03:32 PM

29. "daymmm on NBC??? oh shit thats a win for us all "
In response to Reply # 23

southphillyman
90059 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 03:39 PM

30. "yea broner is fighting molina too on NBC"
In response to Reply # 29

these fights are kind of meh, but still better than the garcia vs. salka kind of shit haymon been giving showtime the last yr or so
it'll just be nice getting real fights consistently on regular tv again

~~~~~~

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2410878 Previous topic | Next topic