Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2408205

Subject: "Super Bowl Halftime Performances Discussion" Previous topic | Next topic
The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 09:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Super Bowl Halftime Performances Discussion"

Since Janet Jackson's nipple ruined everything, the halftime performances have become stale. I'm still amazed what I consider the best one happened after that.

I dare you to come up with a better one than Prince's 2007 show. Dude rocked it in a rain storm. Game blouses!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuqyEQpaloE

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Bruno Mars' was dope
Jan 08th 2015
was about to say Prince
Jan 08th 2015
Prince is the one that stands out, but Bruno definitely surprised me
Jan 08th 2015
Bruno was amazing man. That was being an entertainer.
Jan 08th 2015
I just wish they worked highlights into it.
Jan 08th 2015
Superbowl halftime performances have always sucked
Jan 08th 2015
Yep. Who remembers Elvis Presto?
Jan 08th 2015
? Elvis Crespo maybe....
Jan 08th 2015
      This was terrible
Jan 08th 2015
Up With People
Jan 08th 2015
I never care for them...
Jan 08th 2015
it's actually gotten better since the wardrobe malfunction
Jan 08th 2015
The GF admittedly made me watch the Katy Perry doc on Netflix
Jan 08th 2015
      I'm still trying to reconcile the cultural phenomenon she's become with
Jan 08th 2015
           Worth it for a Three 6 Mafia member onstage for a SB halftime show thoug...
Jan 08th 2015
Only Mike Lodish has been to more Super Bowls than Up With People
Jan 08th 2015
haha, well, and that old dude in the MasterCard commercial
Jan 08th 2015
Bruno Mars performance was dope to see live, well of what I could see
Jan 08th 2015
prince barely edges out mankind v rock
Jan 08th 2015
that reference, while knowing the principles involved named
Jan 08th 2015
      Fall count anywhere match during halftime of the '99 Superbowll
Jan 09th 2015
1993 Michael Jackson?
Jan 09th 2015

auragin_boi
Member since Aug 01st 2003
20939 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 10:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Bruno Mars' was dope"
In response to Reply # 0

And didn't mind seeing Beyonce' wiggle for 45 minutes either *shoulder shrug*

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 10:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "was about to say Prince"
In response to Reply # 0

that's the one I remember the most

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 03:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Prince is the one that stands out, but Bruno definitely surprised me"
In response to Reply # 0

people who didn't like him or know him were acknowledging that he killed RHCP.

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 04:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Bruno was amazing man. That was being an entertainer."
In response to Reply # 3

I'm not about to go run and buy his albums or anything, but anyone has to respect that performance ability and showmanship

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 03:33 PM

4. "I just wish they worked highlights into it."
In response to Reply # 0

We can't get just one song to play to a highlight of great plays of the year or something? Instead we have Katy Perry trying to figure out how to subtly diss Taylor Swift?

I also liked when they had more collaborations with artists but I haven't been that down on them. Prince was great. Bruno Mars was really good. And, in the end, the Super Bowl halftime show isn't aimed at football fans so I'm good with using it as a bathroom break or whatever.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 03:48 PM

5. "Superbowl halftime performances have always sucked"
In response to Reply # 0

Before and after Janet's nipple. They've long been a herky-jerky mash of boring medleys, especially since the '90s.

But like people have said, the only ones I've even liked a little were those by Prince and Bruno Mars. Didn't see the latter coming at all.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 03:59 PM

6. "Yep. Who remembers Elvis Presto? "
In response to Reply # 5

Prince was dope though. And Bruno definitely did his thing.

Wasn't one year Britney Spears, Aerosmith & Mary J?

DeepAztheRoot
Member since Dec 19th 2003
13992 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 04:51 PM

9. "? Elvis Crespo maybe...."
In response to Reply # 6

Suavamente and Pintame guy

<-Fear Ameer

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 08:34 PM

14. "This was terrible "
In response to Reply # 9

http://popdust.com/2011/02/04/the-true-story-of-the-weirdest-super-bowl-halftime-show-ever/

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 10:05 PM

18. "Up With People"
In response to Reply # 5

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

gmltheone
Member since Jun 11th 2003
8564 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 04:21 PM

7. "I never care for them..."
In response to Reply # 0

That's time to fill up the plate, but there seemed to be some buzz about beyonce's. Every black women at that party swore by it.

----------------------------
Same as it ever was!

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 05:03 PM

10. "it's actually gotten better since the wardrobe malfunction "
In response to Reply # 0

I mean, pre-In Living Color halftime alternate resulting in them calling MJ for the '93 event, the halftime show was more of a marching band affair anyway.

I'd say the five best have been Prince, Springsteen & E Street, Bruno Mars, Beyoncé and U2 post-911.

Maybe even in that order tho I'm not married to it.

Four of those were P.T.

*I can't say I saw any of McCartney's because the Eagles and Patriots were knotted at halftime, wasn't no way I could watch anything at that point.

But anyway, it's a fairly thankless task that's nearly impossible to not come off bloated & corny (like award shows) but I do usually watch them just to participate in the conversation.

I don't particularly look forward to Katy Perry because she's prolly got more titties than she does good songs but perhaps she'll surprise me.

I was hoping for Hov but maybe next year.

As long as this one isn't following a half that the Cowboys just played in then I'll be good.

MothershipConnection
Member since Nov 22nd 2003
7498 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 05:15 PM

11. "The GF admittedly made me watch the Katy Perry doc on Netflix"
In response to Reply # 10

I'm still in no rush to buy her music or blast her songs when they come on the radio but ol girl does put on a show... it's more Cirque du Soleil than straight up live music performance. At the very least it should be interesting to look at also as you mentioned, tig ol bitties.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 08:48 PM

15. "I'm still trying to reconcile the cultural phenomenon she's become with"
In response to Reply # 11

the girl I first was introduced to as the girlfriend of the dude from Gym Class Heroes, armed with only an acoustic guitar, strumming while singing a tongue-in-cheek folk-pop song about skinny-jean hipsters on Carson Daly's Late Late Show (back when he was still doing it on a soundstage with a weak monologue/house-band) with a chorus that went "you're so gay.....and you don't even like guys".

You've come a long way, Katy.

MothershipConnection
Member since Nov 22nd 2003
7498 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 11:35 PM

20. "Worth it for a Three 6 Mafia member onstage for a SB halftime show thoug..."
In response to Reply # 15

If you told me back when I first signed on this site that one of the dudes responsible for "Slob On My Knob" would have an Academy Award and (possibly/probably) appear at halftime of a Super Bowl, I'd laugh in your face and tell you to log off forever, fam.

Also amusing to me that less than 10 years later, there's absolutely no way a pop star would ever think of releasing a song called "Ur So Gay", though Katy Perry's mere existence as a major pop star in 2015 is one of the more fascinating things in music to me. Her movie was honestly one of the better music docs I've seen though and she makes a lot more sense if you think of her as a Broadway show with whipped cream shooting out of her tits (for little girls).

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 05:27 PM

12. "Only Mike Lodish has been to more Super Bowls than Up With People"
In response to Reply # 0

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 08:50 PM

16. "haha, well, and that old dude in the MasterCard commercial "
In response to Reply # 12

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 06:04 PM

13. "Bruno Mars performance was dope to see live, well of what I could see"
In response to Reply # 0

Dude is kinda small.

It actually made me a fan for about a week or 2.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 10:05 PM

17. "prince barely edges out mankind v rock"
In response to Reply # 0

"Oh the Rock doesn't even know what the hell this is!"

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 10:25 PM

19. "that reference, while knowing the principles involved named"
In response to Reply # 17

is completely lost on me.

Do tell.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Fri Jan-09-15 12:24 AM

21. "Fall count anywhere match during halftime of the '99 Superbowll"
In response to Reply # 19

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

TRENDone
Charter member
15616 posts
Fri Jan-09-15 12:37 AM

22. "1993 Michael Jackson?"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idg8TNknvDU

San Diego State's holy trinity of sports:
Kawhi Leonard
Marshall Faulk
Tony Gwynn (RIP)

#Aztec4Life

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2408205 Previous topic | Next topic