Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2367085

Subject: "You think if Ray Rice was and NBA, MLB or NHL player that he woulda..." Previous topic | Next topic
normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Thu Sep-11-14 11:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"You think if Ray Rice was and NBA, MLB or NHL player that he woulda..."

got dropped so fast? I am not too sure that woulda happened cause the way the contracts are structured in those sports. At the very least there would have been more red tape before dropping him like that. The NFL contracts are so weak they they can drop you like bad habit. What says you?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I say probably
Sep 12th 2014
Greg Hardy and Ray McDonald beg to differ
Sep 12th 2014
depends on how good the player is, at least in the nba.
Sep 12th 2014
Nope. Ask the Yankees how easy it is to void an MLB contract
Sep 12th 2014

BabyYoda
Member since Feb 15th 2012
3176 posts
Fri Sep-12-14 02:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I say probably"
In response to Reply # 0

>got dropped so fast? I am not too sure that woulda happened
>cause the way the contracts are structured in those sports. At
>the very least there would have been more red tape before
>dropping him like that. The NFL contracts are so weak they
>they can drop you like bad habit. What says you?

The way it is these days, anything is possible. Any Black professional athlete who does something heinous will get the maximum! People will go out of their way to ensure that said athlete is punished. As for contracts, I am sure the league of a particular sport will find a way to void that athlete's contract.

EmDub
Member since Oct 14th 2003
6620 posts
Fri Sep-12-14 07:45 AM

4. "Greg Hardy and Ray McDonald beg to differ"
In response to Reply # 1

>The way it is these days, anything is possible. Any Black
>professional athlete who does something heinous will get the
>maximum!

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59175 posts
Fri Sep-12-14 06:19 AM

2. "depends on how good the player is, at least in the nba."
In response to Reply # 0

Most fb players are big assets for a very short period of time and it's easy to get another one. If it's an all star level player in the nba, the team is gonna try to keep him at all costs...unless of course they were already looking for ways to get from under that contract.lol

What discipline would the nba do??? I don't know.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Fri Sep-12-14 07:26 AM

3. "Nope. Ask the Yankees how easy it is to void an MLB contract"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Sep-12-14 07:29 AM by Walleye

I think it's pretty safe that they looked at any way possible to find a way to not pay Alex Rodriguez 61mm for his age 39-41 seasons. Not to mention "marketing bonuses" for homerun totals that absolutely nobody gives a shit about right now.

But spring training 2015, he's got a contract and, possibly, a job

edit: I answered "yep" to your point, which was not the answer to your literal question. in conclusion: i agree with where you're going here.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2367085 Previous topic | Next topic