Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2325036

Subject: "Michael 23X: Young Cheezy E hated YT" Previous topic | Next topic
40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Thu May-08-14 11:14 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Michael 23X: Young Cheezy E hated YT"

In related news, MJ just became thatruth's all-time favorite player.

http://nba.si.com/2014/05/07/michael-jordan-racism-book-childhood-donald-sterling/

Michael Jordan admits growing up racist: ‘I was against all white people’

Posted May 07, 2014

Racism has been a trending topic around sports after the NBA banned Clippers owner Donald Sterling for life last week for his racist remarks recorded on tape.

Adding to the discussion on race is a jarring quote from NBA legend and Bobcats owner Michael Jordan in Roland Lazenby’s new book, Michael Jordan: The Life.

Jordan touches on a wide range of subjects in the book, including his views on race growing up in North Carolina. He told Lazenby that he was suspended from school in 1977, the year he turned 14, after responding to a girl who called him the n-word (via E! Online):

“I threw a soda at her,” he recalled. “It was a very tough year. I was really rebelling. I considered myself a racist at that time. Basically, I was against all white people.”

The quotes attributed to Jordan come to light about a week after he responded harshly to Sterling’s racist comments. Jordan said he was “disgusted” by the Clippers’ owner.

“There is no room in the NBA — or anywhere else — for the kind of racism and hatred that Mr. Sterling allegedly expressed,” Jordan said. “I am appalled that this type of ignorance still exists within our country and at the highest levels of our sport. In a league where the majority of players are African-American, we cannot and must not tolerate discrimination at any level.”

Lazenby tweeted in response to reports about Jordan’s quotes in the book:

Roland Lazenby @lazenby
Follow

Media are focused on comments Michael Jordan made about race which appear in my book. He made those comments years ago, talking of his youth

11:46 AM - 7 May 2014

Lazenby recently spoke to SI.com’s Martin Rickman about his research for the book, which was released on Tuesday. One of his biggest revelations was how much deep-seated hate and racism there was where Jordan grew up:

“I’ve been to North Carolina hundreds of times and enjoy it tremendously, but North Carolina was a state that had more Klan members than the rest of the Southern states combined,” the author said. “As I started looking at newspapers back in this era when I was putting together Dawson Jordan’s life, the Klan was like a chamber of commerce. It bought the uniforms for ball teams, it put Bibles in all the schools. It may well have ended up being a chamber of commerce if not for all the violence it was perpetrating, too. A lot of the context just wasn’t possible to put it in a basketball book. A lot of it ended up being cut.”

The author also described Jordan’s private life and how race is involved:

Behind the spotlight, Michael lives this very open life racially. He’s the kind of guy who can say to a broadcaster in a pickup game, “You’re not black enough.” That’s sort of the sports ethos. It’s something we joke about until it’s dead serious. For Michael, it’s part of the territory. He’s the first former player to own a team. Timing’s everything. I wrote a series on race back in 1984. At that time, blacks could be excluded from juries just for being black. I was interviewing a black official who said, “All you have to have is one person in the room. They won’t drag out that good ole’ boy stuff and start playing those games if you have just one representative there.”

The important thing is ownership is no longer just a club of good old rich white boys. Whatever you think about him, David Stern is a man of great vision. He knew these things had to change. It can no longer be this exclusive club of white guys. Michael is the first, but there are going to be many more. You are going to see that change, and it should change. It’s important for the growth of the game.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I need more evidence. Throwing a soda at someone for an
May 08th 2014
A black man growing up in the 1970s South didn't like white people
May 08th 2014
Old Willie hates your guts.
May 08th 2014
      Old Willie wanna kill you
May 08th 2014
           Cracker-ass cracker
May 08th 2014
                Kiss my ass, you fucking cracker!!! ...oh you're buying sneakers?
May 08th 2014
HATED WHITE SO MUCH HE AIN'T EEN WANT IT IN HIS EYES
May 08th 2014
LMAO
May 08th 2014
Haha!
May 08th 2014
lolz
May 08th 2014
RE: HATED WHITE SO MUCH HE AIN'T EEN WANT IT IN HIS EYES
May 08th 2014
that's old news
May 08th 2014

veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Thu May-08-14 11:15 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I need more evidence. Throwing a soda at someone for an"
In response to Reply # 0

N bomb seems like a more or less fair trade.

Unless it's a full closed can and you kill her or something.

i still blame hip-hop.

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Thu May-08-14 11:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "A black man growing up in the 1970s South didn't like white people"
In response to Reply # 0

You don't say?

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Thu May-08-14 11:53 AM

3. "Old Willie hates your guts."
In response to Reply # 2
Thu May-08-14 11:53 AM by 40thStreetBlack

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Thu May-08-14 11:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Old Willie wanna kill you"
In response to Reply # 3

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86665 posts
Thu May-08-14 01:48 PM

5. "Cracker-ass cracker"
In response to Reply # 4

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Thu May-08-14 02:08 PM

9. "Kiss my ass, you fucking cracker!!! ...oh you're buying sneakers?"
In response to Reply # 5

Howdy, suh!

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Thu May-08-14 01:50 PM

6. "HATED WHITE SO MUCH HE AIN'T EEN WANT IT IN HIS EYES"
In response to Reply # 0

CRACKER ASS CRACKER

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Thu May-08-14 01:58 PM

7. "LMAO"
In response to Reply # 6

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

silentnoah
Member since Apr 03rd 2005
3197 posts
Thu May-08-14 02:14 PM

10. "Haha!"
In response to Reply # 6

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59157 posts
Thu May-08-14 03:08 PM

11. "lolz"
In response to Reply # 6

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

KosherSam
Member since Mar 18th 2004
70132 posts
Thu May-08-14 04:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "RE: HATED WHITE SO MUCH HE AIN'T EEN WANT IT IN HIS EYES"
In response to Reply # 6

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LsZpDFqHjA4/UsnZPbfAAhI/AAAAAAAAYLk/l9NCjGGWifg/s1600/4-IMG_0026.jpg

*Jews you*

"this is okp tho, reading is completely optional" (c) desus

Proceed with caution. I am overtly racist.

<-- In Pigpen we trust

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu May-08-14 01:59 PM

8. "that's old news"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2325036 Previous topic | Next topic