Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2319445

Subject: "OC Register's Heisler reporting D'Antoni coming back" Previous topic | Next topic
Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Fri Apr-25-14 11:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"OC Register's Heisler reporting D'Antoni coming back"

hope it's not true...

can't imagine Jim Buss being ok with tying so much of his future to fukkin Mike damn D'antoni..

smh..

again hopefully it ain't true..

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/lakers-611469-antoni-year.html

Ready for Mike D’Antoni III?

After 10 days of soul searching, the key figures in Lakers management are agreed on bringing back D’Antoni for a third season as coach, a source with knowledge of the deliberations told the Register.

Keeping D’Antoni, of course, would be unpopular among Lakers fans, united in their desire to see him fired and Jim Buss resign.

The Lakers aren’t commenting, but Jimbo’s not planning on leaving. With Pau Gasol making no secret of his dissatisfaction and Kobe Bryant reportedly in favor of a change, D’Antoni was widely expected to be fired.

But one thing you’ve got to love about the Lakers – I do, anyway – they don’t always do the easy thing.

D’Antoni took himself out of the running for the Marshall University coaching job last week, which went to his brother, Dan.

However, reports from West Virginia that the Lakers told Mike he was returning are incorrect.

D’Antoni decided he didn’t want to return to Marshall, where he once starred, in any case.

The Lakers have yet to inform D’Antoni of anything, but they intend to keep him, absolving him of blame for the 27-55 finish without Bryant and Steve Nash for 141 of a possible 162 games.

Nor are they discomfited by Gasol’s announcement on his website. (“I’ve never concealed the fact that D’Antoni’s style doesn’t suit my game. … I don’t know if my decision will be swayed by whether Mike stays or leaves. Obviously, the coach is a very important factor for any team.”) Jeanie Buss, who noted recently, “I’m the boss,” is continuing her preference to leave basketball decisions to the basketball people.

Jim is aligned with GM Mitch Kupchak, a steadfast D’Antoni defender emerging as an ever-stronger figure with a multi-year extension in the wake of their misadventures.

Despite local anguish about leadership, the Lakers have a plan. It’s just not one that anyone likes … starting with Bryant, who must have thought more was possible when he signed that two-year, $48.5 million extension … which may have served as a wake-up call for Jeanie and Jim, who did it, to return direction to the professionals.

If they hoped to bag a front-line player and a blue-chip draftee this offseason, who knew there would be few blue-chippers and no marquee free agents?

It’s true, the Lakers can be trying, or, depending on your point of view, comical. A rare combination of genius and dysfunction, it’s amazing they could get out of bed, much less win five titles from 2000 to ’10 as the Kobe-Shaquille O’Neal feud broke up the team that won three in a row … and Jeanie and Phil Jackson became a power couple, alienated from Jim … with their father disinclined to bring her fiancé back again.

Getting the big things right makes up for a lot. Jerry Buss had a poor boy’s ambition, a gambler’s daring and the humility to let his professionals run things, not only with the iconic Jerry West but the low-key Kupchak.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: OC Register's Heisler reporting D'Antoni coming back
Apr 25th 2014
The Kobe contract is about Lakers loyalty, not fairness
Apr 26th 2014
loyalty, fairness, it's semantics.
Apr 26th 2014
I'd be cool with that except on positive attributions, it's all Mitch
Apr 26th 2014
but didn't shaq win a ring at that point?
Apr 26th 2014
      He won a ring after he left bc he had motivation to finally get in shape
Apr 26th 2014
the thing is once you resign kobe why not bring back mike
Apr 26th 2014
Fuck this.
Apr 26th 2014
Lakers are going to fuck around & end up like the Knicks
Apr 26th 2014
^^ sees it^^
Apr 26th 2014
Great fuckin news n/m
Apr 26th 2014
serious question, what would they accomplish by firing him now?
Apr 26th 2014
i'm still hoping for coach vino at some point
Apr 26th 2014
i would do it and i've defended him
Apr 26th 2014
There are better...more successful coaches available right today
Apr 26th 2014
who'd you want?
Apr 26th 2014
      Any number of guys...
Apr 26th 2014
           They're the 2nd-best team in LA, with an ancient overpaid backcourt
Apr 26th 2014
                lol..thanks to your landlord...the Lakers will NEVER be 2nd best
Apr 26th 2014
and there you have it. why pay two salaries to lose?
Apr 26th 2014
another in a series of bad moves by the "new" mgmt..
Apr 26th 2014
OE's gonna be mad no one is saying anything bad about Dantoni in here.
Apr 26th 2014
http://oi42.tinypic.com/29w652d.jpg
Apr 26th 2014
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Cmon-Son.gif
Apr 26th 2014
lets not forget how long its been for these guys
Apr 26th 2014
      4 years. Man, ancient history. What's that make 1995?
Apr 26th 2014
           4 years and COUNTING fool
Apr 26th 2014
           not to bite my tongue ryan but i think sterling just gifted the lakers
Apr 26th 2014
Bringing him back tells me two things:
Apr 26th 2014
Just a heads up, Heisler isn't all that reputable
Apr 26th 2014
true....true....
Apr 26th 2014

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Fri Apr-25-14 11:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: OC Register's Heisler reporting D'Antoni coming back"
In response to Reply # 0

this + giving kobe that contract makes me think his decisions are based on trying to be "fair" and a nice guy. like d'antoni never really got a fair shot with a good, healthy squad, but does that really matter going forward? not the way to run a franchise imo.

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 12:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "The Kobe contract is about Lakers loyalty, not fairness"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat Apr-26-14 12:09 AM by LA2Philly

Dr. Buss offered Shaq a 5 year, 120 million dollar deal when he was 32, overweight, with bad feet. Would you consider that a deal out of fairness too?

The funniest thing to me about people's attitudes toward Jim Buss is that it's pure selective attention: everything negative is blamed on him and then Mitch gets all the positive credit. Dude certainly has his faults but the piling on is symptomatic of the scapegoat mentality.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 12:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "loyalty, fairness, it's semantics. "
In response to Reply # 4
Sat Apr-26-14 12:25 AM by Kungset

but yes, that would've been a bad contract for the same reasons.

and who else am i supposed to attribute decisions to? i have no idea what % of each decision is jim buss or mitch, so i just use buss as representative of the org since he's the head of basketball operations. matter of convenience, not placing blame.

edit: as far as the Kobe contract goes, here's Mitch basically saying "wasn't me, it was him" http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-mitch-kupchak-mike-dantoni-20140108,0,7147798.story#axzz2zy1KIPPI

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 12:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "I'd be cool with that except on positive attributions, it's all Mitch"
In response to Reply # 8

If you don't do that, then respect to you and my mistake.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

the_time_is_when_god...lounge
Member since Nov 19th 2012
5495 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 12:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "but didn't shaq win a ring at that point? "
In response to Reply # 4

--------
Twitter: _TheloniousFunk
Instagram: thelonious_funk_

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 12:58 AM

15. "He won a ring after he left bc he had motivation to finally get in shape"
In response to Reply # 13

I love Shaq but it's well-known that he got lazier as the years went on during his tenure with the Lakers. This is the same dude who said he was going to rehab 'on company time because he got hurt on company time'.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 12:18 AM

6. "the thing is once you resign kobe why not bring back mike"
In response to Reply # 1

you're fucked for a year or two anyway.

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43744 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 12:00 AM

2. "Fuck this. "
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 12:00 AM

3. "Lakers are going to fuck around & end up like the Knicks"
In response to Reply # 0

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 10:29 AM

23. "^^ sees it^^"
In response to Reply # 3

how long has it been for them?

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 12:07 AM

5. "Great fuckin news n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

<--The drought is over

L D E A

deezy
Member since Jul 22nd 2013
1029 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 12:19 AM

7. "serious question, what would they accomplish by firing him now?"
In response to Reply # 0

they aren't gonna sign a big-name player and therefore, probably
can't land a star coach who will be around for years

am I missing something? is it just that they'd be better off by
hiring a stop-gap coach?

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 12:22 AM

9. "i'm still hoping for coach vino at some point"
In response to Reply # 7

d'antoni isn't good and isn't fun to watch at this point. kobe wouldn't be any worse and would be extremely entertaining.

going to need a fresh start in a season or two anyway, let it really be his team.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 12:22 AM

10. "i would do it and i've defended him"
In response to Reply # 7

i'd throw the fans a bone. they are going to have sit through another shitty season more than likely and hell maybe even two. dump him and hire a cheap replacement that is a familiar face. get a former laker who's beloved and let him take the whipping. makes economic sense.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 12:35 AM

12. "There are better...more successful coaches available right today"
In response to Reply # 7

>they aren't gonna sign a big-name player and therefore,
>probably
>can't land a star coach who will be around for years
>
>am I missing something? is it just that they'd be better off
>by
>hiring a stop-gap coach?

you have to pay him 4 mill anyway..you might as well pay the extra money you'll have to pay to have a better coach..

D'Antoni's system hasn't worked in years...he's not a likeable coach by his players..

the Lakers are in a position they are NEVER in..they have cap space (with even more to come)... and they have a lottery pick...

there are teams in that position every year who never get better...the Lakers in in that position like once every couple of decades..

When you're in that position...at a minimum you have to have a coach that guys generally want to play for...

strike 1...

Also, Dr. Buss was very rarely if ever in the position of doing something that was against the wishes of the vast majority of fans..the few times he did....for the most part he ended up being right. Nobody wants D'Antoni to be the Laker coach...his players....the fans...the city of Los Angeles...Time Warner..

nobody..

just on that...that's enough to send the guy walking...

Strike 2...

He's just not a good Coach...even with all the injuries..before the injuries really took hold..the Lakers were using different line ups damn near every game... guys like Jordan Hill and Chris Kaman would play well..then they would go games with DNP Coaches decision... early in the season Jordan Hill was leading the league in offensive rebounds.. D'Antoni almost seemed mad that Hill was doing so well, and still refused to start him until he had no choice... Shawne Williams started the season in the Lakers starting line up..then when the Lakers released him during the season...nobody picked the guy up... I mean D'Antoni was starting a guy who not only couldn't start with another team..but he wasn't even good enough to ride the bench for any other team... His ego won't let him admit that his fukkin system doesn't work and he continues to play all these crazy combination of players to try to make the shit work...

he's just terrible...

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 12:51 AM

14. "who'd you want?"
In response to Reply # 12

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 12:58 AM

16. "Any number of guys..."
In response to Reply # 14

Billy Donovan..
Byron Scott..
Lionel Hollins...
Thibs...
Nate McMillan...
Jerry Sloan...
Kevin Ollie...

It's a premiere job with a premiere organization...upgrading at Coach shouldn't be a problem at all..

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 10:07 AM

22. "They're the 2nd-best team in LA, with an ancient overpaid backcourt"
In response to Reply # 16

no other worthwhile talent on the roster and inexperienced ownership with no one sure who's making the final call.

Might as well let the coach they already have to pay take the hit of another upcoming shitty season.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 01:45 PM

26. "lol..thanks to your landlord...the Lakers will NEVER be 2nd best"
In response to Reply # 22

>no other worthwhile talent on the roster and inexperienced
>ownership with no one sure who's making the final call.
>
>Might as well let the coach they already have to pay take the
>hit of another upcoming shitty season.
>
>
in the city of LA...lol..

celery77
Member since Aug 04th 2005
25307 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 12:59 AM

17. "and there you have it. why pay two salaries to lose?"
In response to Reply # 7

HOPE!
https://vine.co/v/i7JjIBL3Qix
https://vine.co/v/i7JtqEFwxDu

LAbeathustla
33858 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 01:01 AM

18. "another in a series of bad moves by the "new" mgmt.. "
In response to Reply # 0

sorry but Dr. Buss nor Jerry West are ever walking thru that door again...get used to it

2019 CABG Survivor

RIP GOATs

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 06:24 AM

19. "OE's gonna be mad no one is saying anything bad about Dantoni in here."
In response to Reply # 0

Cmon, smarten up guys.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

LegacyNS
Member since Jan 16th 2004
38095 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 06:35 AM

"http://oi42.tinypic.com/29w652d.jpg"

http://oi42.tinypic.com/29w652d.jpg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================

Ditch the paper, save the trees, and go mobile! Text bizcard to 32462!

LegacyNS
Member since Jan 16th 2004
38095 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 06:35 AM

20. "http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Cmon-Son.gif"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Apr-26-14 06:37 AM by LegacyNS

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Cmon-Son.gif
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================

Ditch the paper, save the trees, and go mobile! Text bizcard to 32462!

LAbeathustla
33858 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 06:47 AM

21. "lets not forget how long its been for these guys"
In response to Reply # 20

http://michael-120.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/dcc_trophies.jpg

go on and cook with that "5" shit if u want too

2019 CABG Survivor

RIP GOATs

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43744 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 02:39 PM

28. "4 years. Man, ancient history. What's that make 1995?"
In response to Reply # 21

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

LAbeathustla
33858 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 03:21 PM

29. "4 years and COUNTING fool"
In response to Reply # 28

as a cowboy fan i was sayin the same shit u talkin now back in 1999

2019 CABG Survivor

RIP GOATs

LAbeathustla
33858 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 04:02 PM

30. "not to bite my tongue ryan but i think sterling just gifted the lakers"
In response to Reply # 28

wouldnt be mad if all clippers wanted to be lakers now..hahaha

2019 CABG Survivor

RIP GOATs

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 11:34 AM

24. "Bringing him back tells me two things:"
In response to Reply # 0

1) Mitch and co. know we won't be all that good next year (fact)

2) I think this means we are really targeting Exum in the draft, and want to give him a year under D'Antoni....who for all his faults is known to be great with point guards.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 12:15 PM

25. "Just a heads up, Heisler isn't all that reputable "
In response to Reply # 0

So do take this w a grain of salt until it's actually confirmed

<--The drought is over

L D E A

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 02:19 PM

27. "true....true...."
In response to Reply # 25

my hope is that heisler is just trying to piggyback on the story from the west Virginia writer who said that Dantoni was staying. That dude actually in radio interviews had to admit that the only thing verifiable was that the Lakers weren't going to talk to Dantoni for a couple of weeks.

the one report that I'm hoping holds more weight than Heisler's article is this one from the NY Daily news

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/lawrence-lakers-peaceful-dump-mike-antoni-article-1.1754460

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2319445 Previous topic | Next topic