Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2284548

Subject: "Interesting take on Mike Brown..." Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sat Jan-04-14 01:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Interesting take on Mike Brown..."

This got lost in the Lebron thread but it's popular opinion that Mike Brown is a defensive guy that isn't "smart" enough to coach offense but according to this his offensive schemes are actually too complicated...

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1876553-21-people-who-made-lebron-james-the-man-he-is-today/page/9

21 People Who Made LeBron James the Man He Is Today

Mike Brown

Mike Brown, the 2009 Coach of the Year, came to Cleveland in 2005. He enjoyed a highly successful run as LeBron James' head coach, including a trip to the NBA Finals in 2007. They've maintained a mutual respect and admiration since going their separate ways. Brown, of course, is now back with the Cavaliers after briefly coaching the Los Angeles Lakers.

The five-year partnership of James and Brown was marked by hard work and progress, in addition to plenty of fun. Chris Ballard for Sports Illustrated writes about one game in particular:

During a timeout in the fourth quarter, coach Mike Brown begins drawing up a convoluted offensive set-he is renowned for intricate plays with names like Elbow 153 Roll 5C Punch-and works himself into something of an expository corner. As Brown erases and reerases the whiteboard, the players' attention wanders until LeBron looks at Brown and calmly says, "Coach, man, we only got five guys and 24 seconds." His teammates crack up, Brown concedes his point, and Cleveland runs the first element of the play, a dive cut, for a basket.

When James heard about the Lakers hiring his former coach in 2010, he had this to say to Marc Spears from Yahoo! Sports:

Mike Brown is a great coach. He gave us success that we hadn’t had before in that city. It just started with his defensive concepts. He brought in a defensive mindset that we didn’t have. … We were competitive year after year because of him and his coaching staff. I respect him and I’m grateful to have him as a coach throughout the years that I had him. He definitely helped me to become who I am today.

As noted recently by David J. Neal for the Miami Herald, Brown is just as complimentary toward his former star.

He is an extremely hard worker, one of the hardest I’ve been around, Brown said. When you have a guy that’s that hungry to get better, then you are going to keep getting better. The crazy part about it is, I wouldn’t put it past him that he can still improve his game. He is older, and he is better.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2284548 Previous topic | Next topic