Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2277981

Subject: "Top NFL Coaching Candidates for 2014 season..." Previous topic | Next topic
Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 02:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Top NFL Coaching Candidates for 2014 season..."

tons of jobs gonna be open...

Who are the hot names right now?

I'm assuming Lovie will get a gig....

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
they keep talking bout Lovie Smith, David Shaw, and Bill O'Brien
Dec 17th 2013
If Leslie Frazier is fired..I think he's gonna get another
Dec 18th 2013
Not sure if he'll get another shot this soon
Dec 18th 2013
I could see it....
Dec 18th 2013
The Carson Palmer move was his...fuck that guy
Dec 18th 2013
At the very least, he should be an OC in the league
Dec 18th 2013
TONY Dungy and Bill Cowher should be 1 and 2
Dec 18th 2013
No Way They Come Back
Dec 18th 2013
      man give me Tony Dungy back
Dec 18th 2013
I think Josh McDaniels may get another look...
Dec 18th 2013
him either in Cleveland or Dallas
Dec 18th 2013
Greg Roman, Jay Gruden, Mike Zimmer
Dec 18th 2013
Is Roman still a top candidate?
Dec 18th 2013
      he's still got the right resume
Dec 18th 2013
           I think the play-calling thing is way over blown
Dec 18th 2013
                also not clear how much credit he gets for Luck
Dec 18th 2013
smh a bunch of retreads being named in here
Dec 18th 2013
Hopefully the Lions job opens up soon....nm
Dec 18th 2013
one thing I see as far as offensive coordinators...
Dec 18th 2013
I agree and disagree
Dec 18th 2013
      but can't we say now that there is a way to run those offenses
Dec 18th 2013
           I don't think so
Dec 18th 2013

Oakley
Charter member
7810 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 11:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "they keep talking bout Lovie Smith, David Shaw, and Bill O'Brien"
In response to Reply # 0

on the radio in Houston

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Wed Dec-18-13 12:14 AM

2. "If Leslie Frazier is fired..I think he's gonna get another "
In response to Reply # 0

chance pretty quick...

Tek4mula
Member since Nov 11th 2008
1451 posts
Wed Dec-18-13 12:26 AM

3. "Not sure if he'll get another shot this soon"
In response to Reply # 0

But I think Hue Jackson deserves another shot at being a head coach. He's a legitimately good offensive mind and the situation in Oakland was messed up for many reasons beyond his control.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Wed Dec-18-13 12:49 AM

5. "I could see it...."
In response to Reply # 3

there are potentially going to be a bunch of jobs open...

Houston....Redskins....Tampa...

maybe cowboy...Vikings....... and some possible surprise openings..

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Wed Dec-18-13 10:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "The Carson Palmer move was his...fuck that guy"
In response to Reply # 3

He fucked the entire franchise with that dumb shit

Brother Grifter
Member since Apr 07th 2003
2118 posts
Wed Dec-18-13 02:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "At the very least, he should be an OC in the league"
In response to Reply # 3

The jump the Raiders made when he took over and the way he maximized the talent they had on offense shouldn't be overlooked.

I don't think another owner will feel "comfortable" with him as the head man for a second...well, maybe Mike Brown.

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Wed Dec-18-13 12:46 AM

4. "TONY Dungy and Bill Cowher should be 1 and 2"
In response to Reply # 0

on that list period and then Lovie Smith.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Wed Dec-18-13 12:54 AM

6. "No Way They Come Back"
In response to Reply # 4

They both look comfy as shit commentating, probably like FUCK DAT SHIT! Too stressful

I think Lovie is the prime candidate though

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Dec-18-13 02:08 AM

10. "man give me Tony Dungy back"
In response to Reply # 6

he is the one

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Wed Dec-18-13 01:00 AM

7. "I think Josh McDaniels may get another look..."
In response to Reply # 0

there are some teams that need to ignite some young QBs in their offense...

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Dec-18-13 02:08 AM

9. "him either in Cleveland or Dallas"
In response to Reply # 7

and of course with the titans.

will_5198
Charter member
63106 posts
Wed Dec-18-13 01:08 AM

8. "Greg Roman, Jay Gruden, Mike Zimmer"
In response to Reply # 0

--------

Tek4mula
1451 posts
Wed Dec-18-13 02:37 AM

11. "Is Roman still a top candidate?"
In response to Reply # 8

The 49ers pass offense has been very poorly ranked this season and Kaepernick has hit a little lull in his development. I wonder if the league still looks at him as a hot up and comer.

will_5198
Charter member
63106 posts
Wed Dec-18-13 02:57 AM

12. "he's still got the right resume"
In response to Reply # 11

he can put down "tutored Andrew Luck, brought out the best in Alex Smith and unleashed Colin Kaepernick en route to a Super Bowl".

while his idiosyncrasies as a play-caller grates on San Francisco fans, he strikes me as a guy who could wow an organization with a Sharpie and whiteboard. plus the players seem to respect him a great bit.

--------

Tek4mula
1451 posts
Wed Dec-18-13 03:13 AM

13. "I think the play-calling thing is way over blown"
In response to Reply # 12

>he can put down "tutored Andrew Luck, brought out the best in
>Alex Smith and unleashed Colin Kaepernick en route to a Super
>Bowl".

But I wonder how much credit he gets for this in League circles and how much is given to Harbaugh. I feel like Roman gets dinged a bit because people think of Harbaugh as the QB guru.

>while his idiosyncrasies as a play-caller grates on San
>Francisco fans, he strikes me as a guy who could wow an
>organization with a Sharpie and whiteboard. plus the players
>seem to respect him a great bit.

I could see him being great in an interview but I think it will be hard for him to get out of Harbaugh's shadow, especially with the 49ers offense being not very dynamic.

colonelk
Member since Dec 10th 2002
5058 posts
Wed Dec-18-13 01:36 PM

16. "also not clear how much credit he gets for Luck"
In response to Reply # 13

Wasn't he something like "offensive coordinator/running game" at Stanford? I seem to recall Harbaugh having multiple guys with OC next to their name (including Shaw, no?)

--------

hell-below.com

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Wed Dec-18-13 10:52 AM

15. "smh a bunch of retreads being named in here"
In response to Reply # 0

that's what's wrong with the NFL
the new blood this year has been good we need more of that

~~~~~~

guru0509
Charter member
45329 posts
Wed Dec-18-13 01:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "Hopefully the Lions job opens up soon....nm"
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Wed Dec-18-13 02:00 PM

18. "one thing I see as far as offensive coordinators..."
In response to Reply # 0

you have guys like Cam Newton....Kaepernick.....Russell Wilson..who are more shot guy option type of guys rather than strict pocket passers.... and you have other QBs on the horizon coming into the league who are of similar talents....

the NFL is going to need to have coordinators and coaches who can maximize what those guys do. So I think you may see some College coaches get some opportunities as assistants in the NFL soon to set the ground work for these guys coming in...and to help possibly with someone like RGIII who could really bubble in a system more condusive for his skills...

Brother Grifter
2118 posts
Wed Dec-18-13 02:21 PM

20. "I agree and disagree"
In response to Reply # 18
Wed Dec-18-13 02:22 PM by Brother Grifter

I think Cam, Kap, and definitely 3X aren't limited to that style and can probably play in any type of system.

I think right now, coaches are taking the easy path and having them run that offense so they can get some wins. No one is trying to wait until a QB fully develops as a pocket guy. So, yes, in the short term, I think teams will try to follow that path.

But that style of play isn't something a QB can do for their entire career. In the near future, once these guys hit contract #2 and get the $100 million payday, the teams that developed them as traditional passers (Seahawks) will see the benefits. Those that chose to live and breathe that gimmick will be pissed when 25%+ of their cap room is in and out of the lineup with injuries.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Wed Dec-18-13 03:30 PM

21. "but can't we say now that there is a way to run those offenses "
In response to Reply # 20

while minimizing QB injury risk???

I'd have to say yes.

if I look at how Cam and Russ are doing it... I don't see them as being at MORE of a risk for injury than a pocket passer with a weak O-line..

plus the other thing.... those offenses can keep you off balance if the general running game is a potent offense..a defense doesn't know what is coming at them...who has the ball some times.... you add that with a QB that knows how to slide and run out of bounds.... I don't think it's any more risky than any other offense if done right.

Brother Grifter
2118 posts
Wed Dec-18-13 04:31 PM

22. "I don't think so"
In response to Reply # 21

Even above, you state that they aren't at risk any more than a pocket QB with a weak o-line. So in a best case scenario, with two extremely gifted QBs, they face the same amount of risk as a statue playing behind a shitty o-line. To me, that's a huge amount of risk. Way more than I'd want to expose my $100 million franchise to.

And that is the best case scenario, if done right. Most of these teams that are going to try it will not have the personnel, players or coaches, to be great at it. Like when everyone was trying to run that Denver offense and had to go and hire Alex Gibbs to teach the o-line concepts, I think we discount Cam's and 3X's talent in thinking others will be able to pull it off.

I'll take the old school dinosaur title on this one, but I just don't believe in confusion as a basis for a championship offense. Might win some games in the regular season or first round, but once they run into a defense that is on some "fuck all those reads, I'm blowing up everything", title run over.

But maybe that is just the way the game has changed now. We'll see.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2277981 Previous topic | Next topic