Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2272312

Subject: "2013 Los Angeles CIF Football City Championship: Crenshaw v. Narbonne" Previous topic | Next topic
Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Fri Dec-06-13 12:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"2013 Los Angeles CIF Football City Championship: Crenshaw v. Narbonne"
Fri Dec-06-13 12:19 PM by Warren Coolidge

Well tonight Narbonne High School will attempt to be the first team to win 3 Straight City titles in 36 years. We're taking on Crenshaw at East LA college at 8pm. We beat Crenshaw in the title game last year 25-0. Could be closer this time around as Crenshaw seems to be better, and our defense last year was historically good (the 2012 Narbonne team was recently voted the 7th best LA city team in history)....

One thing about Crenshaw is that usually don't suit up a lot of players this time of year, and have a bunch of guys who go both ways. Those types of teams tend to have a problem against us because of our depth, and the tempo of our no huddle offense.

This will be the 4th time we've played Crenshaw in either the finals or semi-finals since 2008. We beat them in 2008 in the semis.... 'shaw had DeAnthony Thomas and Hayes Poulard on that team..... then they beat us in 2009.

We graduated 20 guys from last year's team so this was supposed to be a rebuilding year. With 2 loses we probably will not get an invite to the state tournament, but those loses were both against teams that went very far in their playoffs...Alehmany and Serra.

As of now we have 2 players will D-1 commitments...

Uchenna Nwosu will be going to USC.. http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/20131204/usc-commit-uchenna-nwosu-helps-lead-narbonne-to-football-title-game

DL/OL Owen "Boogie" Roberts is headed to San Jose state

S Khalil Rashad-Brown is mulling through several offers right now but has yet to make a verbal

I'll probably get at least 3 more D-1 guys out this year in QB Eban Jackson..... WR Dallas Lopez...... and OL/DL Victor Villanueva

Not as many as last year, but it's possible we could end up with 15 total scholarships over 2 years..which is pretty great ..particularly for a public high school...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Why did Jackson decide to leave Long Beach Poly to go to Narbonne?
Dec 06th 2013
they wanted him to move to WR.......
Dec 06th 2013
Anywhere online I could find a playoff bracket for this year?
Dec 06th 2013
nvm I found it. my man says he saw Narbonne stomp his nephew's
Dec 06th 2013
      yeah..Venice had a solid year....both Venice and Crenshaw were
Dec 06th 2013
La Times game preview
Dec 06th 2013
I'll be at the Northern CIF championship tonight: Hart vs Valencia
Dec 06th 2013
that is a solid match up...I peeped out Hart..they're pretty solid...
Dec 06th 2013
      Turned out to be a great game, came down to the final seconds
Dec 07th 2013
just talking to the homie from sd. his former team st augustine
Dec 06th 2013
Chaminade beat Serra 38-35 to win the CIF title
Dec 07th 2013
nice!!
Dec 07th 2013
My alma mater St. John Bosco gets a crack at mater dei tonight
Dec 07th 2013
Dominated those OC fucks
Dec 08th 2013
      Both private school fucks n/m
Dec 10th 2013
wow...our center snapped the ball over the punter's head
Dec 07th 2013
I guess the question then is who is crenshaw's nose tackle lol
Dec 07th 2013
      ha!! sign him up!!!
Dec 07th 2013
O shit, when worlds collide: Chaminade vs Hart, CIF State Regional
Dec 09th 2013

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42759 posts
Fri Dec-06-13 12:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Why did Jackson decide to leave Long Beach Poly to go to Narbonne?"
In response to Reply # 0

he wasn't starting?

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Fri Dec-06-13 12:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "they wanted him to move to WR......."
In response to Reply # 1

a lot of people wanted him to play WR..including college scouts who projected him as a better WR than QB...

He still wanted to play QB, and didn't want to split time at the position.

That's the basic reason.

He's played well...he broke his wrist on the 3rd play of the season and missed 2 games.....he missed the loss to Alehmany....he returned in the 2nd half of the Lakewood game, and started the Serra game but he was rusty .... Since then he's been super sharp and he's a really solid runner.

T Reynolds
42759 posts
Fri Dec-06-13 01:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Anywhere online I could find a playoff bracket for this year?"
In response to Reply # 0

curious how Venice did and in general how things panned out

T Reynolds
42759 posts
Fri Dec-06-13 01:13 PM

4. "nvm I found it. my man says he saw Narbonne stomp his nephew's"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri Dec-06-13 01:16 PM by T Reynolds

team last year in the playoffs, Garfield

Narbonne is clearly the favorite

looking at this bracket...
Venice stays losing to Crenshaw in the semis lol

Also holy shit at Crenshaw putting up 83 unanswered points in a goddamn football game on Jefferson

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Fri Dec-06-13 01:17 PM

5. "yeah..Venice had a solid year....both Venice and Crenshaw were"
In response to Reply # 4

pretty upset that we got the #1 seed because that meant they had to play each other in the semis last week...Crenshaw was up 24-0 on venice in the 2nd half but Venice fought back late but lost 30-25...

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Fri Dec-06-13 02:18 PM

6. "La Times game preview"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-1206-sondheimer-harris-jackson-20131206,0,1815511.column

ERIC SONDHEIMER / ON HIGH SCHOOLS

Crenshaw-Narbonne title game could be decided by the quarterbacks
For good reason, Ajene Harris of Crenshaw and Eban Jackson of Narbonne are the players to watch in the City Section Division I championship.

By Eric Sondheimer

December 5, 2013, 4:16 p.m.
It has been the year of the quarterback in the City Section. From Cristian Solano of San Fernando closing in on 4,000 yards passing to Alexander Diamont of Venice accounting for 47 touchdowns passing and running, there are plenty of quarterbacks coming through with big seasons.

It should come as no surprise that the surviving teams in the City Division I playoffs, Crenshaw and Harbor City Narbonne, will be relying on their standout senior quarterbacks in Friday's championship game at East Los Angeles College.

Ajene Harris of Crenshaw and Eban Jackson of Narbonne are the players to watch in the 8 p.m. duel that matches the City's dominant programs. Narbonne is bidding for its third consecutive title. Before the Gauchos' run, Crenshaw had won consecutive titles.

The 6-foot Harris has pulled off one of the great makeovers in City history. He started high school at tiny Animo South, a charter school with little football tradition. He moved to Crenshaw after his sophomore year. The leap in competition didn't deter him.

"It's preparing yourself, practicing hard and getting better so you'd be able to compete against the best," he said. "I was very confident. I just know I'm a hardworking player."

Last week in a semifinal, Harris passed for a touchdown, ran for a touchdown and made two interceptions at cornerback in a 30-25 victory over Venice.

He has one of the strongest arms of any quarterback in the Southland and can scramble for yards if needed.

His athleticism prompted USC to offer him a scholarship last month, a day he will never forget.

"I've been dreaming that all my life," he said. "I was walking from class to lunch and Tee Martin called me and told me. I just had a big smile on my face the rest of the day."

A year ago, Narbonne and its outstanding defense defeated Crenshaw, 25-0, in the Division I final. The Gauchos graduated most of last season's defensive standouts, but Harris will have to be a playmaker if the Cougars expect to end Narbonne's run.

Jackson has faced a difficult challenge this season. He had to take over for Troy Williams, the two-time player of the year who went to Washington.

Jackson arrived in January from Long Beach Poly, where he shared quarterbacking duties for the Jackrabbits' Pac-5 championship team. Comparisons to Williams were inevitable.

"I really don't think about it," he said. "I go out and play to the best of my ability."

His ability to run has made Jackson invaluable. But the key for him is to manage the offense while limiting mistakes. He has had just one pass intercepted while throwing for more than 1,600 yards and 17 touchdowns.

"He's come into his own and has his own strengths," Coach Manuel Douglas said. "He's done an admirable job. Him running the ball is big for us."

Everything is set for the No. 1-seeded Gauchos to take on the No. 2-seeded Cougars. Enjoy and watch how the

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Fri Dec-06-13 03:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "I'll be at the Northern CIF championship tonight: Hart vs Valencia"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Dec-06-13 03:38 PM by LA2Philly

No love lost between the two schools, rivals through and through...should be a helluva game and atmosphere. I went to Chaminade myself and I have family members who went to Hart or Valencia so I'm a neutral for this one...just there to soak up the friday night lights.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Fri Dec-06-13 03:49 PM

8. "that is a solid match up...I peeped out Hart..they're pretty solid..."
In response to Reply # 7

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Sat Dec-07-13 01:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Turned out to be a great game, came down to the final seconds"
In response to Reply # 8
Sat Dec-07-13 02:14 AM by LA2Philly

Hart had control of the game going into the 4th with a 21-10 lead and a Valencia offense that was sputtering....Valencia is able to mount a drive for 6 + 2 pt conversion to cut it to 3, and on the ensuing Hart drive the Hart wr bobbles a quick screen throw that turns into a int. Valencia is able to tie the game on a fg (and props to the Valencia kicker...he nailed this huge pressure fg and one prior with full conviction).

5:30 left on the clock, Hart ball, playing for the CIF championship, historic rivals, Hart's undefeated finals record vs Valencia (2-0) at risk....Hart throws a screen to the slot, cat pivots to the inside to evade his corner, jukes back to the outside to avoid the incoming safety, puts it in gear like Rocky and his ferrari in Rocky IV after Adrian had just told him he couldn't win...7 points, Hart is up.

Valencia gets the ball back but after a critical holding penalty has to punt the ball with 3:30 left, 2 timeouts on the board. The Valencia punter who had been an absolute stud up to this point (and the Vikings ST were pretty damn superb all night from a HS point of view) shanks his kick....Hart has the ball at the Valencia 41. They run the ball twice, 3rd and 6, out of the huddle they sprint to the line (first time they had done it all night) and Valencia jumps offsides....3rd and 1, Hart converts, ball at the 30. Hart runs the ball three more times, gains 5 yards, decides not to attempt a fg to kill the game but rather tries to throw, ball is intercepted; the Vikings are still alive, still a chance to erase all the prior years of heartbreak suffered at the hands of their arch-rivals, all the years of being CIF titleless.

Valencia ball, 1 minute left....quick slant, 10 yards...run up the middle, 5 yards....ball deep down the field, Hart DB doesn't even see it but the Valencia WR makes the adjustment and gets his foot in....1st and goal at the the 8 with 30 seconds left, down 7! We're debating whether or not Valencia will go for the two....NOT SO FAST....outside blitz, Valencia QB gets dropped, no timeouts, hurry to the line....get the next play off, QB has all day in the pocket...looking, looking, looking...throws back end zone.....there's only a Hart safety there, int. Ball game, Hart wins, 3-0 vs Valencia in CIF finals.

Friday Night Lights...couldn't ask for more.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

T Reynolds
42759 posts
Fri Dec-06-13 04:30 PM

9. "just talking to the homie from sd. his former team st augustine "
In response to Reply # 0

Is gonna play Serra next I think. According to max preps they are ranked 2nd in socal.

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/article.aspx?articleid=b01d8a17-8430-456a-85c5-76df9e85a175

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Sat Dec-07-13 02:12 AM

11. "Chaminade beat Serra 38-35 to win the CIF title "
In response to Reply # 0

We got killed 36-0 earlier in the year but we got our revenge when it counted...@ Serra too, how sweet it is. Go Eagles!

<--The drought is over

L D E A

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Sat Dec-07-13 02:18 AM

12. "nice!!"
In response to Reply # 11

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43352 posts
Sat Dec-07-13 06:41 AM

13. "My alma mater St. John Bosco gets a crack at mater dei tonight"
In response to Reply # 0

Beating those clowns would make it even sweeter.

St. John Bosco football fanbase ready to bring home CIF title

Student Elan Aguero shows his school spirit for St. John Bosco high school's football team that is headed to the CIF Southern Section Championship game this weekend at a pep rally in Bellflower on Thursday, December 5, 2013. (Photo by Sean Hiller/ Daily Breeze).
By Chris Trevino, Christian.trevino@langnews.com, ChrisNTrevino on Twitter
POSTED: 12/06/13, 3:28 PM PST |
On Dec. 12, 1986, Al Windes and Monty McDermott Sr. pulled into Angel Stadium parking lot in Windes’ cream white ‘78 Ford pickup truck. They were the only ones in sight.

Windes and McDermott had arrived nearly three hours early to watch St. John Bosco play for its first CIF title in the Big Five championship game against Crespi High School.

“At first they weren’t even going to let us in,” says Windes, now 74, with a laugh.

So the two friends and fathers did the only thing they could: they sat in the lot, waiting for Braves fans to trickle in and join them. And for nearly three decades, Windes, McDermott and countless others in the Bosco community are still waiting.

That night Bosco lost 49-14, with 12,651 people watching Crespi win its first title. And on Saturday at Angel Stadium, 27 years later, St. John Bosco fans, a group that resembles a family more than anything, get another chance to see their football team finally bring home a CIF title in an 8 p.m. matchup with Mater Dei.

“The (community) is going to be so excited on Saturday,” says principal Casey Yeazel. “Not just for the football team, but for the school as well.”

Terms like “brotherhood” and “family” are the words most commonly used to define that community, one that prides itself on the support it provides for their school, especially for football.

“We’re a very passionate group of fans ... once you become associated with Bosco you can see how close knit we are,” says Jon Lucero (‘86), one of six boys who all attended Bosco.

That family has had a lot to be excited about these the past two years. Bosco has gone 25-1 thanks to two undefeated regular seasons and two Trinity League titles. Bosco sometimes resembles a small college program with early tailgates and well-attended road games. And as Bosco has marched through the playoffs this season, blowout after blowout, the support continues to build.

“It’s kind of crazy,” says Lucero, a Bosco administrator, who has missed just two football games since he graduated. “I’ve been getting phone calls from old friends and messages on Facebook asking where they can get Bosco gear ... they are just going crazy that we are back in the finals.”

Monty McDermott Jr. (‘86), the athletic director, says his office has also been experiencing the recent outpour from the community, getting up to 20 calls a day from alumni also looking for Bosco gear, not including the daily emails and texts.

And it’s not just the older generation that is ready for Saturday night, but the current one as well. On Thursday, the school held a small pep rally for the students with members of the ‘86 team speaking. Bosco junior Elan “Speedy” Aguero led a group of face-painted students sprinting around the gym and then led the school wide “I believe we will win” chant to close out the event.

“Saturday’s going to be a challenge,” says Aguero, leader of the student section, his face still painted blue from the pep rally. “I might lose my voice for the first time.”

Children even have their place in the Bosco fanbase, thanks to a ball boy program run by Lucero for the past 20 years.

“You can see their eyes light up when (lineman) Damien Mama walks by them on the sidelines and he’s five times their size,” says Lucero. Most of the ball boys have a connection the school, a father, brother, cousin who has walked Bosco’s hallways. Lucero estimates 95 percent of their ball boys go on to become Braves.

And despite being an all-boys school, Bosco has a dedicated following of women, women like Al Windes daughter-in-law, Dana Windes, who was a cheerleader for the Braves, attending Bosco’s sister school Saint Joseph High School in Lakewood.

“We still consider ourselves part of the big (Bosco) community,” says Dana Windes.

“If Bosco was a co-ed school, I would have attended,” says Carrie Ruffalo, the daughter of McDermott Sr. and another graduate of Saint Joseph. “It has the ability to attract and pull you in.”

And despite the fanbase being close-knit group, there is disagreement entering Saturday: whether there is a “monkey off our back” feel for the program still chasing that first title.

“I think for guys like myself ... we want them to win for all of us,” says Chris Felix (‘69), a former three-year starter on the football team and fixture on the Bosco sideline.

But others disagree, saying this team is different or the program itself has changed, that what happened 27 years is too far back for the current team to be drastically affected by it. All they know is the success they have now.

But whatever side they fall on, Bosco fans, young and old, will agree that the atmosphere will be electric on Saturday, a night to remember for all those in attendance.

And for fans like Windes and McDermott Sr., the chance to return to Angel Stadium is looked upon with great expectation. While they may not be the first in the parking lot this time around, Windes and McDermott will arrive early for a game they wouldn’t miss for the world. It will like little has changed. Well, almost.

“This time we’ll be in a minivan,” says Windes with a laugh.

Comments
Print
Email
Recommended
RELATED

CIF football: Norwalk vs. La Serna, St. John Bosco vs. Mater Dei championship previews

St. John Bosco’s offense, Mater Dei’s defense set to collide in Pac-5 title game

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43352 posts
Sun Dec-08-13 02:09 AM

17. "Dominated those OC fucks"
In response to Reply # 13

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

likwit_crew
Charter member
5986 posts
Tue Dec-10-13 01:22 AM

19. "Both private school fucks n/m"
In response to Reply # 17

Long Beach is the spot where I serve my caine - Snoop

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Sat Dec-07-13 01:26 PM

14. "wow...our center snapped the ball over the punter's head"
In response to Reply # 0

and out of the endzone... 3 FUKIN TIMES!!!!!

3 safeties.....

unbelievable....

I feel terrible for the kid...he pretty much cost us the city title... Crenshaw would not have scored any points in the game if you take those safeties out of it..and the momentum ..

we'll be back though...

T Reynolds
42759 posts
Sat Dec-07-13 03:23 PM

15. "I guess the question then is who is crenshaw's nose tackle lol"
In response to Reply # 14

Must have had dude skeered

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Sat Dec-07-13 08:00 PM

16. "ha!! sign him up!!!"
In response to Reply # 15

dude gon have hella letters comin in next week

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Mon Dec-09-13 06:56 PM

18. "O shit, when worlds collide: Chaminade vs Hart, CIF State Regional"
In response to Reply # 0

Saturday at 7:30....at the community college stadium walking distance from my house (Hart usually plays their big games there, College of the Canyons). Looks like I'll be at another big game this weekend...

<--The drought is over

L D E A

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2272312 Previous topic | Next topic