Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2261024

Subject: ""No mami, I'm Cubano, can't you see my beard" - Knicks want K. Love" Previous topic | Next topic
TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 02:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
""No mami, I'm Cubano, can't you see my beard" - Knicks want K. Love"

Smh...and the merry to round goes round and round.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--knicks--dysfunction-turns-to-fantasy--n-y--already-dreaming-of-kevin-love-in-2015-070030695.html

Through the decay and debris of a crumbling infrastructure, chasing the championship parade that never marches, the New York Knicks' recruitment to retain Carmelo Anthony comes with the promise to pursue Kevin Love into the franchise's 2015 salary-cap space.

LeBron James comes free too soon (2014), Kevin Durant too late (2016), and the best, biggest star available to New York has been validating management's wanderlust with an MVP-esque start to the Minnesota Timberwolves' season.

In a lot of ways, the Knicks are pursuing the illusion of a title with Anthony as their centerpiece. Nevertheless, they're unwavering in turning the franchise over to him. The plan had been a three-year window to chase a championship, but it turned into one season – if it was ever that a year ago. New York is pushing toward a fresh scapegoat, coach Mike Woodson, but the Knicks are a combustible blend whose struggles have far less to do with their coaching and far more to do with lousy ownership.

New York is back where it started with 'Melo in 2011, framing a future for him that looks so much better than the present. To re-sign Anthony upon his contract opt-out in July, the Knicks count upon the fact that they can still give him three things no one else can: a five-year, nearly $130 million extension; the bright lights of the Madison Square Garden marquee; and an expedited retooling plan.

Almost assuredly, Love will exercise his early termination option in two years and take a strong look at where the free-agent landscape stands with the T'wolves. He could re-sign a longer, richer deal with Minnesota, or chase big-market platforms in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and perhaps elsewhere.

The Knicks are buried in salary-cap hell through 2014, awaiting Amar'e Stoudemire ($23.4 million), Tyson Chandler ($14.3 million) and Andrea Bargnani ($12 million) to expire. The Knicks are sold on Love in 2015, sources tell Yahoo Sports, and they've already begun devising a strategy to lure him when the time comes.

Carmelo Anthony can become a free agent after this season. (Getty Images)
The possibility of leaving the Knicks for the Los Angeles Lakers will be Melo's leverage until it no longer is, but as one source with knowledge of the process says: "Do you think 'Melo wants to be known for not winning titles in New York and L.A.?"
There are beloved ex-Knicks who never win titles – Patrick Ewing, John Starks, Larry Johnson – but those players don't exist in Lakers lore. If winning is an obsession to Anthony, let's be honest: He would've stayed in better shape, been a better leader and teammate in his career. Anthony would've used his organizational muscle to spare the franchise's wasting of a roster spot for J.R. Smith's younger brother as part of a sweetener to re-sign the NBA's Sixth Man of the Year.

Everyone wants to blame Creative Arts Agency for the packaging of the players, but Chris Smith, associated with a different agency two years ago, had been granted a guaranteed contract with the Knicks for the 2011-12 season. Only, Smith blew out his knee and received his $490,000 on the injured list. This was a stooge deal on New York's behalf, an embarrassment afforded a player, J.R. Smith, who doesn't deserve this kind of treatment.

"Glen Grunwald never wanted to do it, never felt right about it back then," one source with knowledge of the package deal said. "That call came from above him."

Within the Knicks coaching staff, they believe Chris Smith doesn't even have the talent to be an NBA Development League player – never mind worthy of a roster spot. One opposing GM called him "maybe the worst player in the history of the summer league."

Perhaps that's harsh, but the Knicks need to sign a big man in the wake of Tyson Chandler's fractured leg, and Chris Smith's roster spot creates an obstacle.

In the end, the Knicks give Anthony everything he wants, including the recent hiring of his personal trainer, Idan Ravin. There is a complete disconnect between Ravin and the Knicks' coaching staff, who have little use for him, sources said.

Kevin Love ranks among the NBA leaders in scoring this season. (AP)
Still, the Knicks coaches understand: From a wasted roster spot to a highly paid personal trainer who can act independently of the coaching staff's wishes, ownership makes it hard for good players to want to leave. And truth be told, ownership makes it hard to coach good players in New York. Take a look at model franchises in San Antonio, Miami and Indiana, and you'll see: This all makes winning harder, not easier.
Now, owner James Dolan has turned over the Knicks to Steve Mills as president and general manager. Only in the Knicks' parallel universe can an executive help run the franchise into the ground for a decade with Isiah Thomas, get fired, move into the financial sector, chase the National Basketball Players Association's top job and then, somehow, get his old job back – this time with more power.

The Knicks can afford to pursue the best basketball minds on the planet, and yet they recycle top executives with failed, unaccomplished or untested histories. Donnie Walsh and Grunwald had been exceptions, and yet ultimately they were run out of the GM job. This is why the Knicks are unable to build something sustainable, why they're forever chasing salary-cap space, chasing stars, chasing the illusion of contention.

Kevin Love is on deck to be recruited to New York in 2015, and that's among the reasons the Timberwolves are so determined to make deals to climb deep into the playoffs these next two years. Young Minnesota players Derrick Williams and Alexey Shved are available in deals for veterans to help these T'wolves now, league executives told Yahoo Sports.

The suitors promise to be plentiful for Love in two years, which is why the Knicks are already brainstorming his pursuit, sources said.

Between now and July free agency, the Love pursuit will be part of New York's hard sell to Anthony. The Knicks are a mess now, but the mirage never changes: always a salvation on the way at the Garden, always a championship parade headed down the Canyon of Heroes. With the Knicks able to pay $30 million more than everyone else on the market, with the Knicks affording him and his inner circle a full run of the Garden, make no mistake: Carmelo Anthony will want badly to believe them. Again.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=21659...
Nov 12th 2013
^^should be anchored for all eternity*
Nov 12th 2013
So, let me make sure I'm following all of this:
Nov 12th 2013
lol, it gets funnier the more and more i read it.
Nov 12th 2013
The only thing missing is fat Ray Felton dancing & bumping the dj table....
Nov 12th 2013
They want Love to abandon the young talented core in Minny...
Nov 12th 2013
yep...like Boston
Nov 12th 2013
#knickstape
Nov 12th 2013
it makes perfect sense
Nov 12th 2013
*ahem*
Nov 12th 2013
You mean we want to sign a defensive liability with inflated stats
Nov 12th 2013
how has he inflated his stats?
Nov 12th 2013
      His teams play at a high pace and shoot a low FG%
Nov 12th 2013
           lol i have no problem with anything you said except comparing
Nov 12th 2013
           lol
Nov 12th 2013
           kevin martin is a scorer (6th in the league)
Nov 13th 2013
                I'm talking career. You playing small sample size theater
Nov 13th 2013
http://youtu.be/YIiM91tc1fk?t=12s
Nov 12th 2013
This board is so silly sometimes...
Nov 12th 2013
youareslow
Nov 12th 2013
      Why do you like being the first to respond to me? GET OFF MY DICK JUNIOR
Nov 12th 2013
           I thought you were ignoring me?
Nov 12th 2013
he'd sign with the Lakers before the Knicks...
Nov 12th 2013
yeah IF he leaves i doubt he chooses NYK over the Lakers
Nov 12th 2013
Easily.
Nov 12th 2013
What was the point of this article and what was it based on?
Nov 12th 2013
Wojo...Not Surprised
Nov 12th 2013
I mean it's specifically an arcticle based on nothing to get idiots rile...
Nov 12th 2013
RE: "No mami, I'm Cubano, can't you see my beard" - Knicks want K. Love
Nov 12th 2013
or at least letting him use his pee.
Nov 12th 2013
http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=22608...
Nov 12th 2013
*does the Charleston to this:*
Nov 12th 2013
yeah, i grimaced at that lol
Nov 12th 2013
Woj really needs to stop being the world's best NBA reporter
Nov 12th 2013
Change "better shape" to "practice" and that describes Iverson's career.
Nov 12th 2013
      A more in shape Anthony beats the Lakers in 2009.
Nov 13th 2013
hahaha, Ba, HE GOT THE ZEKE DIS IN
Nov 12th 2013
it seriously isn't even funny anymore, man. shit's pathological
Nov 12th 2013
if you take this article seriously you need to be flogged
Nov 12th 2013
K. Love going to play for the Lakers
Nov 12th 2013

the_time_is_when_god...lounge
Member since Nov 19th 2012
5495 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 02:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=21659..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2165988&mesg_id=2165988&listing_type=search

--------
Twitter: _TheloniousFunk
Instagram: thelonious_funk_

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 03:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
26. "^^should be anchored for all eternity*"
In response to Reply # 1

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.ā€¯ (c) The God

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44719 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 02:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "So, let me make sure I'm following all of this:"
In response to Reply # 0

They've got a grand plan to bring Love to the Knicks not now, but in two seasons? And they want Melo to re-sign with them at the end of this season, so he can maybe possibly play with Love in 2015? And until then, everyone's supposed to be cool and chill out because maybe possibly things could be on the up-swing in two seasons? Do I have all that right?

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

guru0509
Charter member
45358 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 02:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "lol, it gets funnier the more and more i read it."
In response to Reply # 2

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 02:47 PM

4. "The only thing missing is fat Ray Felton dancing & bumping the dj table...."
In response to Reply # 2

so Martin Lawrence can say, "Deja vu like a muthafucka!"

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 02:51 PM

5. "They want Love to abandon the young talented core in Minny..."
In response to Reply # 2

... and, if I'm correct, the greater amount of money he can be signed for there...

... to go play with an aging Knicks team who will be even older by the time Love has to make his decision.

I know Love wants out (although if they make the playoffs this year, he may reconsider), but there are a number of better situations he can go to.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

the_time_is_when_god...lounge
Member since Nov 19th 2012
5495 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 02:53 PM

6. "yep...like Boston"
In response to Reply # 5

--------
Twitter: _TheloniousFunk
Instagram: thelonious_funk_

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 03:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "#knickstape"
In response to Reply # 2

https://digife.com

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 03:07 PM

8. "it makes perfect sense"
In response to Reply # 2

In knickland

-The Knicksā€™ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

themaddfapper
Member since Mar 09th 2010
7558 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 06:38 PM

33. "*ahem*"
In response to Reply # 2

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2183077&mesg_id=2183077&page=#2207036

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 03:14 PM

9. "You mean we want to sign a defensive liability with inflated stats"
In response to Reply # 0

to a max deal? What a novel approach from the Knicks?

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35261 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 03:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "how has he inflated his stats?"
In response to Reply # 9
Tue Nov-12-13 03:25 PM by cgonz00cc

?

John Forte
15361 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 03:34 PM

12. "His teams play at a high pace and shoot a low FG%"
In response to Reply # 10

and he plays on a team with no scorers. He's the upper-middle class man's David Lee.

Cenario
59181 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 03:39 PM

16. "lol i have no problem with anything you said except comparing"
In response to Reply # 12

him to David Lee. Their only similarity on offense is that they shoot with white hands.

-The Knicksā€™ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

guru0509
Charter member
45358 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 04:19 PM

29. "lol"
In response to Reply # 16

Their only similarity on offense is that
>they shoot with white hands.

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Wed Nov-13-13 07:05 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
38. "kevin martin is a scorer (6th in the league)"
In response to Reply # 12

John Forte
15361 posts
Wed Nov-13-13 10:20 AM

39. "I'm talking career. You playing small sample size theater"
In response to Reply # 38

Chanson
Member since Nov 09th 2004
15000 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 03:25 PM

11. "http://youtu.be/YIiM91tc1fk?t=12s"
In response to Reply # 0

http://youtu.be/YIiM91tc1fk?t=12s

The Knicks will never prosper as long as this clown owns the team.

mind
--------
matter

subjctmattr
Charter member
7987 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 03:34 PM

13. "This board is so silly sometimes..."
In response to Reply # 0

WHAT THE FUCK ELSE WOULD YOU DO WHEN YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TOOONNNSSSS OF CAP SPACE IN 2 YEARS???

Wait for the time to come to see who is available? Or be proactive and look to see what you can get?

The Knicks, despite this slow start, should be a competitive team this year. So they'll be competitive now, as well as in to years when they have cap space. Why is this something to ridicule?

Oohhhhh the team with cap space looks to see who the free agent is WHEN they have cap space..DUH!!!

Cenario
59181 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 03:41 PM

17. "youareslow"
In response to Reply # 13

subjctmattr
Charter member
7987 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 06:42 PM

34. "Why do you like being the first to respond to me? GET OFF MY DICK JUNIOR"
In response to Reply # 17
Tue Nov-12-13 06:44 PM by subjctmattr

NEED PROOF:

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2260081&mesg_id=2260081&page=#2260575

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2215262&mesg_id=2215262&page=#2215656

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2232880&mesg_id=2232880&page=5#2232886

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2246982&mesg_id=2246982&page=5#2247552

AND IN EACH EXAMPLE I IGNORE YOU...I even spell it out for you in one.
DAMN YOU RIDING ME HARD SON.
I like having fans...but female ones preferably.

Cenario
59181 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 06:47 PM

35. "I thought you were ignoring me?"
In response to Reply # 34

You sound aggy.

Why no more j lin posts?

Lolz

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 03:37 PM

14. "he'd sign with the Lakers before the Knicks..."
In response to Reply # 0

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 03:45 PM

19. "yeah IF he leaves i doubt he chooses NYK over the Lakers"
In response to Reply # 14
Tue Nov-12-13 03:46 PM by Kungset

with that beach boys blood, he's a west coast dude. he loses mana the further he gets away from the pacific

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 03:49 PM

22. "Easily. "
In response to Reply # 14

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 03:39 PM

15. "What was the point of this article and what was it based on?"
In response to Reply # 0

The guy just comes off the top talking about this grand plan to get a guy who may or may not hit free agency in two years.

Also, who cares about middling stars and their middling teams?

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 03:43 PM

18. "Wojo...Not Surprised"
In response to Reply # 0

Going back to not caring

spawn2k
Charter member
6453 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 04:42 PM

30. "I mean it's specifically an arcticle based on nothing to get idiots rile..."
In response to Reply # 18

I can clearly picture Woj at his desk cackling while he's writing this drivel.

men are so simple, and so subject to present necessities, that he who seeks to deceive will always find someone who will allow himself to be deceived. (c)Niccolņ Machiavelli

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28846 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 03:47 PM

20. "RE: "No mami, I'm Cubano, can't you see my beard" - Knicks want K. Love"
In response to Reply # 0

>Within the Knicks coaching staff, they believe Chris Smith doesn't even have the talent >to be an NBA Development League player – never mind worthy of a roster spot. One >opposing GM called him "maybe the worst player in the history of the summer league."

Chris Smith better be thanking his brother everyday.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

Cenario
59181 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 03:49 PM

21. "or at least letting him use his pee."
In response to Reply # 20

John Forte
15361 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 03:52 PM

23. "http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=22608..."
In response to Reply # 20

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2260839&mesg_id=2260839&page=

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 03:54 PM

24. "*does the Charleston to this:*"
In response to Reply # 0

If winning is an obsession to Anthony, let's be honest: He would've stayed in better shape, been a better leader and teammate in his career.

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.ā€¯ (c) The God

Cenario
59181 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 04:01 PM

27. "yeah, i grimaced at that lol"
In response to Reply # 24

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 04:03 PM

28. "Woj really needs to stop being the world's best NBA reporter"
In response to Reply # 27

and start concentrating on what matters: being the world's angriest NBA troll.

----
bshelly

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27116 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 06:02 PM

31. "Change "better shape" to "practice" and that describes Iverson's career."
In response to Reply # 24

>If winning is an obsession to Anthony, let's be honest: He
>would've stayed in better shape, been a better leader and
>teammate in his career.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Wed Nov-13-13 10:46 AM

40. "A more in shape Anthony beats the Lakers in 2009. "
In response to Reply # 31

: - )

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 03:56 PM

25. "hahaha, Ba, HE GOT THE ZEKE DIS IN"
In response to Reply # 0

----
bshelly

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 11:31 PM

37. "it seriously isn't even funny anymore, man. shit's pathological"
In response to Reply # 25

donnie gave amare that contract...traded all those young players for a fake franchise player...missed on hibbert, lopez, jrue, lawson, jennings...for gallo and jordan hill.

like, it's simply unfair how people have covered the knicks' demise. it makes me wanna fight some of these people.

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

Radio Rahim
Member since Jul 21st 2008
20320 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 06:19 PM

32. "if you take this article seriously you need to be flogged"
In response to Reply # 0

Binlahab droppin science on the youth

"youre frustrated now? in undergrad? reading books all day?,
surrounded by more nubile unattached pussy than you will be in your life?"

TRENDone
Charter member
15616 posts
Tue Nov-12-13 11:27 PM

36. "K. Love going to play for the Lakers"
In response to Reply # 0

him and Klay...well K'Love is going to retire a Laker.

San Diego State's holy trinity of sports:
Kawhi Leonard
Marshall Faulk
Tony Gwynn (RIP)

#Aztec4Life

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2261024 Previous topic | Next topic