Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2216125

Subject: "Mike Alvarado - Ruslan Provodnikov finalized for Oct. 19th (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 09:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Mike Alvarado - Ruslan Provodnikov finalized for Oct. 19th (swipe)"

Didn't see a post about it. Gonna be in the Denver 'burbs. I'm fuckin going. Should be an absolute war.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_23777062/mike-alvarado-fight-ruslan-provodnikov-defend-title-colorado

Mike Alvarado to fight Ruslan Provodnikov, defend boxing title in Colorado
By Nick Groke
The Denver Post

Brandon Rios, left, takes a punch from Mike Alvarado in a fight for the interim WBO junior welterweight championship at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas in March. (Steve Marcus, Reuters)
Denver's Mike Alvarado will fight Russian Ruslan Provodnikov in the first major boxing championship bout in Colorado in nearly 13 years, Alvarado's promoter and manager confirmed Thursday.

The junior welterweight fight is scheduled for Oct. 19 at the FirstBank Center in Broomfield. It will air live on HBO immediately after a replay of the Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Tim Bradley fight from a week earlier.

Alvarado (34-1) is coming off a career-making victory by unanimous decision over Brandon Rios in March, a fight-of-the-year candidate. Provodnikov (22-2) lost to Bradley in a brawl two weeks before Alvarado-Rios.

"This matchup is perfect for Mike," said Henry Delgado, Alvarado's manager. "Mike can do what he wants. He can bang and he can box."

Alvarado is expected to earn more than $1 million to fight Provodnikov, likely almost doubling his previous career high.

Provodnikov — who calls himself the "Siberian Rocky" — last fought Bradley at 147 pounds, the welterweight limit. But Provodnikov will come back down in weight to fight Alvarado at the junior welterweight limit of 140 pounds.

"When Mike reached this level, you fight the elite every time out," said Carl Moretti, vice president of promoter Top Rank. "That's what he's doing. This is not a showcase fight. Mike proved his mettle. Provodnikov showed what he had against Bradley. It's a big night for boxing."

Colorado last hosted a major boxing title fight in September 2000, when Stevie Johnston failed to take the WBC lightweight belt from Jose Luis Castillo in a 12-round draw at the Pepsi Center.

"I was hoping for an easier showcase fight for Mike," said Shann Vilhauer, Alvarado's trainer. "Something like Stevie Johnston's title defense at Magness Arena."

Johnston defended his lightweight championship in March 2000 on the University of Denver campus in a fight that aired on ESPN.

"But this is HBO. They ain't gonna put garbage on that network," Vilhauer said.

Alvarado, in his victory over Rios in March, won the interim WBO junior welterweight title.

Details about ticket sales for the Oct. 19 fight will be announced later.

i still blame hip-hop.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
should be an absolute war
Aug 05th 2013
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^...
Aug 05th 2013
tickets go on sale friday. anybody thinking about making the trip?
Aug 14th 2013
So....anybody else excited for this fight?
Oct 17th 2013
I'm in the exctied/scared camp
Oct 17th 2013
      When you put it that way...
Oct 17th 2013
      Nah, it will most likely be great fun
Oct 17th 2013
      Might be another Ward-Gatti type
Oct 17th 2013
      You really know your shit bruh.
Oct 20th 2013
Could be a hellacious war
Oct 17th 2013
whupped Alvarado ass. made that nigga quit on his stool, smh
Oct 19th 2013
Good fight but yeah mike got rocked
Oct 20th 2013
I wouldn't be surprised if this dude sparred with bears and shit
Oct 20th 2013
      'The man that scrapped w/ lions, hibernated w/ polar bears!'
Oct 20th 2013
           Trained like rocky did against drago, hails from mother Russia
Oct 20th 2013
                The Asian/Russian genes connection like kostya
Oct 20th 2013
Dude is the new Margarito
Oct 20th 2013
What a fight!! I love both of these guys.
Oct 20th 2013
couldnt have said it better
Oct 20th 2013
Just--thank goodness they stopped it when they did
Oct 20th 2013
Ruslan will fight the winner Pac vs Rios
Oct 20th 2013
Prov might just end up fighting Rios regardless
Oct 20th 2013
      I'd love to see him fight Floyd
Oct 20th 2013
           RE: I'd love to see him fight Floyd
Oct 20th 2013
that was awesome!
Oct 20th 2013
Alvarado looked like he ran out of gas pretty early...
Oct 20th 2013

las raises
Member since Aug 31st 2002
14982 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 10:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "should be an absolute war"
In response to Reply # 0

-----------------------------------------------------------------

BLACK_ADAM
Member since Mar 21st 2006
4791 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 10:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^..."
In response to Reply # 0

veritas
37201 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 09:18 AM

3. "tickets go on sale friday. anybody thinking about making the trip?"
In response to Reply # 0

i'll be in the building for sure, probably frantically refreshing before tickets go on sale to try to get best available.

you guys think this is the sort of event that's worth buying a couple extra to turn around on the side? biggest fight in denver in a long, long time.

i still blame hip-hop.

veritas
37201 posts
Thu Oct-17-13 01:00 PM

4. "So....anybody else excited for this fight?"
In response to Reply # 0

i still blame hip-hop.

Lightfoot
Member since Jan 01st 2004
5265 posts
Thu Oct-17-13 02:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I'm in the exctied/scared camp"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu Oct-17-13 02:03 PM by Lightfoot

Like there are few fights that I actually consider not watching just because I'm scared of what might happen, but this is one of them. But of course I'm still going to watch because of what else might happen.

So part of me thinks Prov is being overrated after the Bradley fight, since Bradley was so far from himself in that fight that it's almost irrelevant how close Prov came to beating him. Bradley is a top-five boxer and an average brawler. But Alvarado knows how to brawl and can punch enough to gain respect--we know he can succeed in the face of relentlessness and Prov won't walk through his punches as easily. And Alvarado is more skilled and somewhat faster than Prov.

On the other hand, Bradley did make a good point recently about Prov's angles being unconventional and making for a tough adjustment, so I could see him inflicting his own fair share of damage even if Alvarado boxes a bit more. And Prov probably has the better chin.

Also, it's probably dumb for me to read into this as much as I am, but the difference between the two fighters in their HBO face-off was really striking. Prov sounded way more self-assured and just calm in the face of violence (I was shocked that he went all philosophical on Kellerman--who the hell knew this crazy Siberian bastard was full of profound thoughts on pugilism). Something about his demeanor and his approach to the fight just gave me the impression of a mental edge that might be an x-factor.

Yeah I'm still going back and forth on this one. In any case, let's hope these guys both end up okay.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Stones. Rocks. Subways. Blocks.

veritas
37201 posts
Thu Oct-17-13 02:14 PM

6. "When you put it that way..."
In response to Reply # 5

Now I'm nervous. This will be my first pro fight in person.

Kind of a brutal first one.

Seen a lot of amateur fights in person, but there's no headgear here.

i still blame hip-hop.

Lightfoot
5265 posts
Thu Oct-17-13 03:37 PM

8. "Nah, it will most likely be great fun"
In response to Reply # 6

It probably goes without saying that, even in these rock 'em sock 'em fights, 99.98% of the time the fighters suffer the ramifications of head trauma quietly and belatedly, so fans don't have to dwell on it too much in messy tandem with the visceral thrill of being ringside for a total war. This one will almost definitely be no exception, but it will also be an especially brutal fight, so it's hard for me to not let that side of it enter into my pre-fight thoughts. For the most part I'm excited about the potential for drama.

Also, to be honest, when I listen to a guy like Provodnikov talk so matter-of-factly about fighting, it actually in a weird way lessens my ambivalence and humanizes the whole thing for me. There's something pure about it. I mean if a guy loves to fight and fights for pride, then you got to let him have it when he goes to war in there. I think it's appropriate for a fan's ratio of fear to excitement to equal that of the fighters.

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Thu Oct-17-13 10:39 PM

9. "Might be another Ward-Gatti type"
In response to Reply # 5

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

thebadnegro
Member since Nov 13th 2006
4028 posts
Sun Oct-20-13 12:17 AM

12. "You really know your shit bruh. "
In response to Reply # 5

you're probably the most knowledgeable and insightful boxing cat on OKS. always on point or pretty close to it. kudos.

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Thu Oct-17-13 03:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Could be a hellacious war"
In response to Reply # 0

which will be fun to watch (as long
as it doesn't feature long-term damage
to both fighters) - which is always a
possibility in a fight like this....

that said, everyone is picking it to be
a slug-fest fight of the year candidate, but
I wouldn't be all that surprised if Alvarado
found a groove to flat-out outbox Ruslan
and prevent him from getting off anything big....

But with Ruslan, one flush power punch can change
the whole complexion of the fight...and there will
be at least a few spots where I see Alvarado just
standing toe-to-toe and throwing, like he did v. Rios
He's better at boxing than fighting, but he really
loves to fight.

-->

Breathe through the nose
keep the mouth closed.
Through the blood
Chi goes where the dow flows.

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Sat Oct-19-13 10:50 PM

10. "whupped Alvarado ass. made that nigga quit on his stool, smh"
In response to Reply # 0

bradley beating this dude is a tip in his cap

~~~~~~

las raises
14982 posts
Sun Oct-20-13 12:13 AM

11. "Good fight but yeah mike got rocked"
In response to Reply # 10

Ruslan's face looks like a fucking rock

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Sun Oct-20-13 01:07 AM

16. "I wouldn't be surprised if this dude sparred with bears and shit"
In response to Reply # 11
Sun Oct-20-13 01:07 AM by wallysmith

Boxing Zangief

thebadnegro
4028 posts
Sun Oct-20-13 01:17 AM

17. "'The man that scrapped w/ lions, hibernated w/ polar bears!'"
In response to Reply # 16

(c)Ghost

las raises
14982 posts
Sun Oct-20-13 02:24 AM

18. "Trained like rocky did against drago, hails from mother Russia "
In response to Reply # 17

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Sun Oct-20-13 09:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
22. "The Asian/Russian genes connection like kostya"
In response to Reply # 18

And yuri arbachakov

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Sun Oct-20-13 01:06 AM

15. "Dude is the new Margarito "
In response to Reply # 10

Let's just hope he ain't on those padded knuckle steez b/c he dame near killed 2 cats inside the ring.

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

thebadnegro
4028 posts
Sun Oct-20-13 12:30 AM

13. "What a fight!! I love both of these guys."
In response to Reply # 0

Provodnikov is the muthafuckin man like homo-erectus! (c)Ras Kass

a brutal beatdown of Tim Bradley at '47 and now this at 140.

SO many options for this cat. i'll weigh in on that more later. right now i'm just gonna enjoy the moment. great time to be a boxing fan, to hell with all the bad decisions. these guys give EVERYTHING for the sport of boxing and i am truly grateful. i know (for fans)it's just a sport but it gives me a greater appreciation life, health, discipline, and the human spirit and will.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Sun Oct-20-13 06:19 AM

19. "couldnt have said it better"
In response to Reply # 13

i know (for fans)it's just a sport but it gives me a
>greater appreciation life, health, discipline, and the human
>spirit and will.

it just makes me humble to see 2 people literally putting their lives on the line, everything they have...just to win. awe inspiring

does it even matter?

Lightfoot
5265 posts
Sun Oct-20-13 08:48 AM

21. "Just--thank goodness they stopped it when they did"
In response to Reply # 13

Provodnikov was the stronger fighter with the better chin, and that was all that really mattered in the outcome of this fight. Alvarado basically conceded those advantages right away by fighting negatively most of the fight. I thought it was a pick 'em fight, but after just one round, it already seemed like a Prov stoppage was by far the most likely scenario. One fighter budged, the other didn't.

I'm just glad the Alvarado corner figured that out in time. Prov gives less of a fuck than just about anyone I've ever seen box, like in the sociopathic sense. But Alvarado is just a guy with an enormous heart--he showed it in its entirety in the 8th round--and he clearly gives at least a little bit of a fuck. There was no way he would have survived the 11th and I'm glad he and his corner gave enough of a fuck to put his heart aside and worry about his head. He'll be back.

las raises
14982 posts
Sun Oct-20-13 12:44 AM

14. "Ruslan will fight the winner Pac vs Rios"
In response to Reply # 0

That's the only think I can't think of

Lightfoot
5265 posts
Sun Oct-20-13 08:28 AM

20. "Prov might just end up fighting Rios regardless"
In response to Reply # 14

The folks at Top Rank are probably drooling over that fight already.

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Sun Oct-20-13 09:42 AM

23. "I'd love to see him fight Floyd"
In response to Reply # 20

He would get picked apart like he did when bradley boxed him- but he's one fighter who I could actually see would just keep walking forward once he started getting peppered.

Who knows though- plenty of guys like him have fought fast boxers in boxing history and got shook once they couldn't see what was hitting them and where it was coming from.

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

thebadnegro
4028 posts
Sun Oct-20-13 07:05 PM

24. "RE: I'd love to see him fight Floyd"
In response to Reply # 23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99oUo9Moeq4

veritas
37201 posts
Sun Oct-20-13 07:38 PM

25. "that was awesome!"
In response to Reply # 0

really fun first pro fight to attend.

hoping to catch a replay to really break it down. hard to have great analysis when you're caught up in the energy of the arena.

i honestly had it much closer than any of the judges, but i could be completely wrong.

i still blame hip-hop.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Sun Oct-20-13 08:37 PM

26. "Alvarado looked like he ran out of gas pretty early..."
In response to Reply # 0

seemed like switching to southpaw so much was a way for him to rest his left jab because he periodically was shaking his arms like they were tired..

good fight though...Ruslan could do something..

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2216125 Previous topic | Next topic