Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2211484

Subject: "Who'd you rather have from MLB 2010 draft?" Previous topic | Next topic
Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Sun Jul-21-13 02:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Who'd you rather have from MLB 2010 draft?"

Poll result (9 votes)
Bryce Harper (4 votes)Vote
Matt Harvey (2 votes)Vote
Manny Machado (3 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Harvey was 2007
Jul 21st 2013
RE: Harvey was 2007
Jul 22nd 2013
      Probably the latter, I just knew he was drafted same year as Porcello
Jul 22nd 2013
           I think it's a fair distinction
Jul 22nd 2013
If I'm the owner of the team Harper
Jul 21st 2013
Chris Sale is the best player from this draft so far
Jul 22nd 2013
Sale's arm mechanics are going to blow his shoulder and elbow to shreds
Jul 22nd 2013
      But before that happens, lefties have no chance
Jul 22nd 2013
      *unless they don't
Jul 22nd 2013
           it is?
Jul 22nd 2013
                "Kind of"
Jul 22nd 2013
Manny
Jul 22nd 2013
If Machado can play shortstop as well as he plays 3rd maybe him
Jul 22nd 2013
That's a very fair take
Jul 22nd 2013

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66720 posts
Sun Jul-21-13 02:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Harvey was 2007"
In response to Reply # 0

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

ISmashedYourBitch
Member since Nov 29th 2011
537 posts
Mon Jul-22-13 05:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Harvey was 2007"
In response to Reply # 1

Why do niggas like you come in here all wrong and post shit like it is a fuckin fact, can you fucking read or where you so hype to be loud and wrong that you never finished reading his wikipedia page to know he was drafted by the Mets in 2010 after he turned down the LAA in 07.

What I'd like to have right now is for all you fat, out of shape, small dick niggas to keep the noise down while I take my robe off and show all the ladies what a real man is supposed to look like (C) Ravishing Rick Rude

Ceej
66720 posts
Mon Jul-22-13 06:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Probably the latter, I just knew he was drafted same year as Porcello"
In response to Reply # 3

Walleye
Charter member
15515 posts
Mon Jul-22-13 06:19 AM

6. "I think it's a fair distinction"
In response to Reply # 5

One of these guys is not like the others: the one who was also drafted in 2007.

Harvey's a Boras client, so he had a price. I'd assume more teams are kicking themselves for not matching that price in 2007 than just the six (two of which took Machado/Harper) who passed on him in 2010.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

VonClay
Charter member
21865 posts
Sun Jul-21-13 11:58 PM

2. "If I'm the owner of the team Harper"
In response to Reply # 0

Instagram: @von_clay

Walleye
Charter member
15515 posts
Mon Jul-22-13 06:12 AM

4. "Chris Sale is the best player from this draft so far"
In response to Reply # 0

Lesson: don't get drafted by a team in the central time zone if you want people to pay attention.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Mon Jul-22-13 12:10 PM

8. "Sale's arm mechanics are going to blow his shoulder and elbow to shreds"
In response to Reply # 4

and when it happens it is going to be nasty.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvAM_Wok6dEixuXykkWoZQoD7muV75xATaB5dN_n4aIJ8FW8aT

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images//visual/whatshot/Chris-Sale-White-Sox-opening-day-starter-2013.jpg

Ceej
66720 posts
Mon Jul-22-13 12:13 PM

9. "But before that happens, lefties have no chance"
In response to Reply # 8

Walleye
Charter member
15515 posts
Mon Jul-22-13 12:22 PM

10. "*unless they don't"
In response to Reply # 8

I get it. Watching him throw makes my arm hurt.

But the smoking metaphor is still the cure for all the fake science of mechanics analysis.

-Smoking is a cause of lung cancer
-Some people smoke their whole lives and don't get lung cancer
-Some people never smoke and still get lung cancer

It's also worth pointing out that Tommy John is now kind of an expected part of the career trajectory for most pitchers. So unless Sale does something apocalyptic to his joints, I don't think missing a season to recover from TJ really says anything about him that it wouldn't also say about somebody like Dylan Bundy and his perfect mechanics: that pitching any particular way isn't as notably responsible for arm injuries as simply pitching.

--Walleye's Dad

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Jul-22-13 02:54 PM

12. "it is?"
In response to Reply # 10

>
>It's also worth pointing out that Tommy John is now kind of an
>expected part of the career trajectory for most pitchers.

Walleye
Charter member
15515 posts
Mon Jul-22-13 03:06 PM

14. ""Kind of""
In response to Reply # 12

Around sixty pitchers on MLB 40-man rosters had the surgery in 2012 calendar year. Teams are anticipating elbow injuries and developing organizational procedures for dealing with this because they know it's going to happen. Look at Strasburg's famous shut-down. The Nats were fine with hard-and-fast rules on that because they'd tested the rules (to their satisfaction) with Zimmerman the previous year.

That fits the definition of "expected" to me.

But the larger point here is that pitchers get hurt. That's the most certain rule we have for this stuff.

Unless Sale does something truly unique to his arm, and perhaps even then, I don't think pointing to his visually gruesome mechanics is a fully satisfactory answer.

He's also in his second year as a full time starter and hasn't gotten hurt yet.

--Walleye's Dad

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Mon Jul-22-13 11:32 AM

7. "Manny"
In response to Reply # 0

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27104 posts
Mon Jul-22-13 02:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "If Machado can play shortstop as well as he plays 3rd maybe him"
In response to Reply # 0

if he's not as unbelievable at short as he is at third then I'd probably go Harper ahead of him.

That being said, I wouldn't trade Harvey for either of them.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Mon Jul-22-13 03:05 PM

13. "That's a very fair take"
In response to Reply # 11

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2211484 Previous topic | Next topic