Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2184440

Subject: "And Woody comes back home! :-)" Previous topic | Next topic
TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Wed May-22-13 12:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"And Woody comes back home! :-)"

This is great. The fans wanted. And we got him.

Hopefully he ends his career here.

I wish I still had my Woodson jersey. But I discarded it since I bought it the day before the Super Bowl. Shit ain't been right since.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2013/05/21/woodson-rejoins-raiders-after-seven-year-hiatus/

Woodson rejoins Raiders after seven-year hiatus

By Steve Corkran
Tuesday, May 21st, 2013 at 8:43 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Beat writer Jerry McDonald stuck it out in Alameda all day, certainly much longer than many of the fans that arrived early, and he was rewarded with word that defensive back Charles Woodson is coming back to the Raiders.
Here’s McDonald’s story:

Charles Woodson is coming home, signing a one-year deal to return to the Raiders on Tuesday.

The contract reportedly is for $4.3 million, including a $700,000 signing bonus.

Sitting in the passenger seat of a black Suburban inching slowly toward the security gate, Woodson smiled broadly as a crowd of more than 100 fans chanted his name.

Woodson left at about 7:20 p.m., about five hours after he arrived. He had the driver stop the car so he could sign autographs for fans, many of whom turned around and drove back to the facility once they heard the news.

“I’ve got to go, so I can’t get to you all. Don’t worry, I’ll be around,” Woodson said.

A free agent visit by Woodson to the place where he started his career became an impromptu Raider rally, with word spreading via social media.

Once past the gate, Woodson looked toward the building, raised both arms in the air then walked inside, followed by a Raiders camera chronicling the event.

Wearing a blue Michigan T-shirt and blue jeans, Woodson, 36, re-emerged from the building accompanied by Hall of Fame cornerback Willie Brown and walked to the fence to acknowledge the crowd. He held a child’s size No. 24 Raiders jersey with his name on it as fans chanted, “Come home Woodson, come home Woodson.”

A Raider fan known as “Dr. Death,” decked out in full costume, was delighted.

“Now that’s what I came to see,” he said.

Released by the Green Bay Packers, Woodson had found the market for his services soft, due to both his age and the fact that he has broken his right collarbone twice in the past three years.

Woodson was unavailable to the media, as were Raiders coaches and players, with the one-day window for this week’s organized team activity having taken place Monday.

Woodson reportedly had an offer from the Denver Broncos, which apparently was not enough to get him signed. The New York Giants are also said to be interested.

Woodson visited the 49ers early in free agency but received no contract offer.

Fans began assembling in the back lot of the Raiders facility as early as 9:30 a.m., with two security guards hired by the team coming 30 minutes later. He didn’t arrive until approximately 2:30, not that fans seemed to mind.

Antoine Johnson, who grew up in Oakland and attends Sacramento State, was wearing a University of Michigan No. 2 jersey with Woodson’s name on the back, the number he wore on his way to winning the Heisman Trophy.

Later, when Woodson went to the fence, he acknowledged Johnson, who then pulled back the sleeve of his right arm to display a tattoo that said, “True to me.” Johnson said he got it because Woodson has the same tattoo and Woodson is his favorite player.

Shine Nieto drove for more than three hours from the Tule River Indian Reservation in the Sierra Nevada foothills to be at the facility. He carried with him a white Woodson No. 24 jersey.

“I just wanted to be here to welcome him,” Nieto said. “It’s like when Marcus Allen came back to the Coliseum to light the torch. It’s a special moment. Part of history.

Raiders players who were leaving after their OTA practice found themselves driving slowly through a gauntlet of cheering fans.

Fullback Marcel Reece even stopped, emerged from his car and exchanged hugs and handshakes with fans. So did defensive end Jason Hunter, who signed as an unrestricted free agent.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
HOF DB, has had a great career
May 22nd 2013
He's one of the all-time "it factor" athletes
May 22nd 2013
      agreed well put....i fux with woody... always been a fan
May 22nd 2013
RE: And Woody comes back home! :-)
May 22nd 2013
Yep he had a shit roster and no draft picks.
May 22nd 2013
      lol that dude sucks
May 22nd 2013
one of my favorite players ever
May 22nd 2013
Watch out Alex Smith!
May 22nd 2013
*salutes*
May 22nd 2013

DolphinTeef
Member since Oct 25th 2009
7027 posts
Wed May-22-13 12:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "HOF DB, has had a great career"
In response to Reply # 0

shit i still remember him beasting at Michigan. Made me want to attend the school.

hopefully he goes out on a high note this season

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Wed May-22-13 12:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "He's one of the all-time "it factor" athletes"
In response to Reply # 1

There's something about dude

He's a fantastic athlete but there's been better pure athletes

He just seems to have it, man

At Michigan dude just seemed like he always knew what
the fuck he was doing....it was almost weird

That pick in the Rose Bowl? Sheeit.
----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Wed May-22-13 01:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "agreed well put....i fux with woody... always been a fan"
In response to Reply # 2

>
>There's something about dude
>
>He's a fantastic athlete but there's been better pure
>athletes
>
>He just seems to have it, man
>
>At Michigan dude just seemed like he always knew what
>the fuck he was doing....it was almost weird
>
>That pick in the Rose Bowl? Sheeit.
>----------------------------
>
>
>
>O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"
>
>
>
>
>"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."
>
>(C)Keith Murray, "

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

johnblaze
Charter member
1036 posts
Wed May-22-13 12:37 AM

3. "RE: And Woody comes back home! :-)"
In response to Reply # 0

One of my favorite Raiders of all time.

Good pick up.

I'm liking all the moves Reggie is making, I keep telling people this organization is doing a complete over haul and will be ready in 2-3 years.

The tongue like a sharp knife... Kills without drawing blood. (c) Buddha

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Wed May-22-13 01:05 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Yep he had a shit roster and no draft picks."
In response to Reply # 3

And has us ready to make moves this off-season.

Tyler Wilson looks like a steal too.....well at least without pads he does.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

guru0509
Charter member
45358 posts
Wed May-22-13 02:57 AM

6. "lol that dude sucks "
In response to Reply # 4

>Tyler Wilson looks like a steal too.....well at least without
>pads he does.

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Wed May-22-13 08:18 AM

7. "one of my favorite players ever"
In response to Reply # 0

cereffusion
Charter member
29598 posts
Wed May-22-13 09:56 AM

8. "Watch out Alex Smith!"
In response to Reply # 0

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35267 posts
Wed May-22-13 12:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "*salutes*"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2184440 Previous topic | Next topic