Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2184034

Subject: "Posnanski: Jeff Francouer and Announcer Nonsense Talk" Previous topic | Next topic
Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Tue May-21-13 02:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Posnanski: Jeff Francouer and Announcer Nonsense Talk"

Fun.

http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/2013/05/jeff-francoeur-and-ant.html

Monday, May 20, 2013
Jeff Francoeur and ANT
“I know you care about him. I’ve never seen you like this about anyone … so please don’t take it wrong when I tell you that I believe that Tom, while a very nice guy, is the Devil.”

-- Albert Brooks character, Broadcast News

The other day, I was watching the visiting announcing crew call a Kansas City Royals game, when Jeff Francoeur came to the plate. Before it even began, I knew what was coming. The announcers started to praise Francoeur. You know, it was all the usual stuff -- great leader, plays terrific defense, bat coming around, wonderful guy. And, suddenly, a question came to mind.

What player in baseball do you think has the most ANT -- Announcer Nonsense Talk -- spoken about them?

By ANT, I’m not just referring to stuff announcers say. I’m referring to a sort of universal praise that does not tie to logic or anything tangible but instead to a sort of whimsical hope and powerful narratives. I remember in a playoff game against the Cleveland Browns, John Elway once dropped back, almost fell down, ran into his own offensive lineman, almost fell down again, flipped a short little pass to Mark Jackson who broke and avoided like 49 tackles on his way to a long and ridiculous touchdown catch. As soon as it ended, the announcer shouted: “John Elway did it again!”

That’s ANT.

You know ANT when you hear or read it -- it is when people start speaking in broad generalities about a player (“This guy just wants it more”) or when they start over-crediting a player for dubious achievements (pitcher wins and RBIs tend to be the sweet nectar of Announcer Nonsense Talk) or when they start to turn sports achievement into life achievement (“That was just a courageous pitch!”). And like I say, it’s not only announcers who do this -- far from it. You see it everywhere. I’ve spent plenty of time writing ANT.

Derek Jeter has been the recipient of a lot of ANT through the years -- I coined the word Jeterate based entirely on this -- but Jeter is a legitimately great player, one of the best shortstops ever, and he is a consummate professional worthy of respect and admiration. So you can understand why people would want to tack on some nonsense talk to make the record even more sterling. For a while, David Eckstein seemed to be the worldwide leader of ANT, but, heck, the guy is 5-foot-6, can’t really run, can barely throw the ball across the infield, and yet he was a shockingly good baseball player for a handful of years. In 2002, he finished 11th in the MVP voting and deserved it, maybe deserved even a little more. So, yeah, you could see why he got so much ANT. When a player defies logic or sparks intense emotion, nonsense talk often seems the only way to capture the awesomeness of it.

Tim Tebow has probably had more ANT spoken about him than anyone, ever.

But back to baseball … and Jeff Francoeur. At this moment, Jeff Francoeur is hitting .209 with five walks and one home run. We are about a quarter of the way through the season, so you can multiply those numbers by four to get a sense of where he would finish the year at this pace. He has an OPS+ of 48. The Pitch FX numbers show he can’t catch up to the fastball, can’t recognize the slider and cannot stay back on the change-up. He’s O-swing percentage -- that is, his percentage of pitches he swings at outside the strike zone -- is at a staggering 44.6%, a career high in a career of hacking. It is the third-highest percentage in baseball, behind only legendary free swingers Pablo Sandoval and Alfonso Soriano.

Those guys, however, tend to be bad-ball HITTERS. Francoeur, no, not so much on the hitting part.

Jeff Francoeur is also a great guy -- one of the greatest guys, really, impossible not to like him -- and he has a strong arm, and he once won a Gold Glove (six years ago) and he once hit 29 home runs (seven years ago) and he’s a great guy. One of the greatest guys. Really. Impossible not to like him.

And it is this trait -- Francoeur’s striking niceness -- that leads to an astonishing barrage of ANT. Anytime you watch the Royals play you will hear announcers find all sorts of ways to praise Jeff Francoeur. They will talk about how many runs his defense saves*. They will talk about how he’s a winner.** They will talk about how much he helps the Royals young players.*** They will talk about how he’s a good hitter have an uncharacteristic slump.****

*Last year, the Fielding Bible people studied every single play Francoeur and every other player made, and determined he COST the Royals 12 runs against an average defender (largely because he’s pretty immobile out there), making him the 34th best right fielder in a sport that only fields 30 teams.

**Jeff Francoeur’s first full year with Atlanta, 2006, was also the first time in 15 years the Braves did not reach the postseason. They also did not reach the postseason in 2007, 2008 or 2009 -- the three years Francoeur played with Atlanta. They did make it in 2010, the year after he was traded to the Mets, who were not good at all the two years he played for them. The Mets traded him to Texas with 15 games left in the season and the Rangers did go to the World Series, though I don’t think Francoeur deserved too much of the credit (he went three-for-24 in the playoffs with one RBI and one run scored). He then signed with the Royals, who have gone a combined 163-201 in his time. I should quickly add here I’m not BLAMING Francoeur for any of this -- that would be ridiculous, no one player wins and loses games. But I am saying calling Francoeur a “winner” is even more ridiculous.

***The Royals young players -- particularly Eric Hosmer and Mike Moustakas -- have been pretty big disappointments so far.

****He’s not. He’s a perpetual slump who has uncharacteristic hot streaks. That sounds meaner than I mean it … but Francoeur has been a pretty consistent player. His on-base percentages for full seasons are: .287, .293, .294, .300, .309, .329, .338. Those last two seem like the outliers to me. His OPS+ for full seasons (and remember 100 is average) are: 72, 81, 85, 87, 93, 102, 119. The last of those was the one that inspired the Royals to sign Francoeur to a multi-year contract.

It is tempting, based on all the ANT, to overcorrect and blame Jeff Francoeur too much for the Royals failures. They lost again Sunday -- gave away the game, really -- and dropped to .500 for the first time since the first week of the year. Their offense looks lost, really. The Royals have no power at all -- as a team, they only have 12 more home runs than Justin Upton -- and so must rely on a parade of good at-bats to score runs. Unfortunately, they are probably dead last in baseball in good at-bats. They swing at a higher percentage of pitches than any team in the American League and they put the ball in play more than any team in baseball -- which might sound like a good thing, but it isn’t when you have no power whatsoever. They have the fewest walks in baseball.

Francoeur represents the Royals troubles perfectly. Sunday, he came up with runners on second and third, two outs, and Kansas City leading by two. He had a chance to blow the game open with a single. And the frustrating fact wasn’t that he failed to come through, that happens to the best players all the time. It was that he had a miserable at-bat, swinging at the first pitch, an 88-mph fastball in a not-especially good location, and chopping a routine ground ball to short. That’s his season in a nutshell. That’s a lot of his career in a nutshell.

Let’s face it: He’s killing the Royals. Just killing them. No, he’s certainly not the only one killing the Royals, not by a long shot. If anything, the early struggles of Eric Hosmer and Mike Moustakas are hurting the Royals more because they had reason to expect a lot more. Hosmer is slugging .326 and at the moment does not resemble the can’t-miss prospect who pummeled baseballs as a 21-year-old rookie. And Mike Moustakas, whew, he’s another big-time prospect who looks completely overmatched -- he’s hitting .178/.252/.311. The Royals were counting on those two, perhaps more than anyone else, to take a step forward. So far it isn’t happening, and that’s as big a reason as any why the Royals can’t score runs.

But there’s little-to-no ANT spoken about Hosmer and Moustakas. Meanwhile, tune in and you will still hear people praising Jeff Francoeur relentlessly. Here’s something for you -- Jeff Francoeur has a career 93 OPS+ and before the end of the year he will have 5,000 big league plate appearances. Do you know how many other slow* corner outfielders with an OPS+ of 95 or less got 5,000 big league plate appearances? Just one. Bob Kennedy.

*Quite a few speedy corner outfielders who stole bases but couldn’t really hit -- Shano Collins, Vince Coleman, Stan Javier, Dave Collins -- got a lot of big league at bats as well. But they represent a little bit different category. Francoeur is a big guy who can’t run.

There are a lot of similarities between Bob Kennedy and Jeff Francoeur. They were both likable and strong-armed outfielders who started as phenoms (Kennedy played every day as a 19-year-old; Francoeur was on the cover of Sports Illustrated as The Natural) and kept finding teams that wanted to give them a chance even after they had made it crystal clear they couldn’t hit enough. They were just guys you rooted for. Hey, don’t take it wrong. I root for Francoeur too. You can’t help but root for him. He’s a very nice guy.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Jeff Francouer is still in the league?
May 21st 2013
Al Central pitchers just nodded their heads enthusiastically
May 21st 2013
Remember this one?
May 21st 2013
In fairness, the answer to their question is "no"
May 21st 2013
Does Jeff Galzer care his address is on the internet?
May 22nd 2013
STOP IT.
May 21st 2013
Eckstein was a 5 win player in 2002
May 22nd 2013
Isn't it just towing the party line?
May 22nd 2013
They're all shills and it sucks
May 22nd 2013

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16160 posts
Tue May-21-13 02:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Jeff Francouer is still in the league?"
In response to Reply # 0

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Tue May-21-13 02:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Al Central pitchers just nodded their heads enthusiastically"
In response to Reply # 1

He's there to play nearly every day and have a good influence on the Royals youngsters like Mike Moustakas (.178/.252/.311) and Eric Hosmer (.266/.340/.345). Since neither of them has been arrested, he appears to be doing his job.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Tue May-21-13 07:16 PM

3. "Remember this one?"
In response to Reply # 0

http://cdn100.iofferphoto.com/img3/item/507/974/729/ZKDI.jpg

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Tue May-21-13 07:32 PM

4. "In fairness, the answer to their question is "no""
In response to Reply # 3

Not just anybody can be as good as Jeff Francouer. I can't, for instance. Most professional baseball players, though? Probably.

--Walleye's Dad

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66746 posts
Wed May-22-13 07:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Does Jeff Galzer care his address is on the internet?"
In response to Reply # 3

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18759 posts
Tue May-21-13 11:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "STOP IT."
In response to Reply # 0

"Eckstein seemed to be the worldwide leader of ANT, but, heck, the guy is 5-foot-6, can’t really run, can barely throw the ball across the infield, and yet he was a shockingly good baseball player for a handful of years. In 2002, he finished 11th in the MVP voting and deserved it, maybe deserved even a little more. "

And I respect Posnanski on most things baseball-related. But the "aww shucks" parade for David Fucking Eckstein? Come ON, Joe. You're better than that.

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Wed May-22-13 07:51 AM

6. "Eckstein was a 5 win player in 2002"
In response to Reply # 5

I get what you're saying, but I don't think this is that species of observation. My only quibble with Posnanski's comment is that Eckstein's usefulness was pretty short-lived, but for awhile he was a sound-to-above-average defensive shortstop who got on base. That's not easy to find and his first five years in the league were a lot better than you'd expect.

--Walleye's Dad

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Wed May-22-13 08:51 AM

8. "Isn't it just towing the party line?"
In response to Reply # 0

The team coverage, both TV and radio, travel with those guys, are direct employees (more or less) of the club and are the daily pr machine of the front office. Crapping on someone or calling it like it is, even if the player in question is a jerk, just doesn't make a ton of sense from the continued employment perspective. I'm sure, for example, the Twins broadcasters are fumbling over themselves trying to make excuses for Josh Willingham's Uggla-esq start to the season. It's just what you do to be a good teammate.

On the other hand, the ones that are really frustrating to me (and why I loath national broadcasts) are the network guys that fawn over players scouting reports and reputations, clearly never having watched the guy in question day in day out and only knowing them for 10 or 15 minutes during BP.

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66746 posts
Wed May-22-13 08:54 AM

9. "They're all shills and it sucks"
In response to Reply # 8

Listening to Mario and Rod praise Leyland and Don Kelly on a daily basis is too much but there really is no other way around it.

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2184034 Previous topic | Next topic