Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2166136

Subject: "Earl "The Pearl" Monroe" Previous topic | Next topic
TurkeylegJenkins
Charter member
18021 posts
Mon Apr-22-13 12:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Earl "The Pearl" Monroe"

Greetings, Okaysportsfam. Long time.

Basketball legend Earl "The Pearl" Monroe's long-awaited autobiography, Earl The Pearl, drops tomorrow. Deadspin's got a great excerpt of the book up today:

http://deadspin.com/hookers-vs-the-klan-why-earl-the-pearl-monroe-chose-472979877

Monroe, of course, is one of the truly iconic basketball superstars of the late 1960s and 70s, a key piece in the 1973 Knicks championship puzzle. But this book contains way more than just a bunch of boring basketball stories.

For instance, did you know:

• That Earl lost his virginity at the age of 9 while standing upright in a vestibule?
• That as a child, Earl witnessed a grisly murder first-hand?
• That the first time Earl heard anyone refer to him as “Black Jesus,” he was being held at gunpoint?
• That Earl was once chased through rural Virginia by a carful of hooded Klansmen?
• That Earl insists he was left off the U.S. Pan-American Games team in 1967 because the coach was a racist?
• That Earl impregnated 3 different women in a 4 year span from 1967-1970?
• That Earl once unwittingly smoked angel dust at a party at Bubba Smith’s house?
• That Earl was once arrested for his participation in a violent riot at a high school basketball game?
• That Earl once received a fan letter from Woody Allen and kicked it with both Miles Davis and Linda Lovelace at an uptown jazz club?
• That Earl held up the Knicks' plane to LA after Game 4 of the 1973 NBA Finals because he was looking (with a gun) for two men who had assaulted him on the street near The Garden?
• That Earl swears he was once attacked by a ghost in his girlfriend’s Brooklyn apartment?

Those are just a few of the crazy-ass stories recounted in this sprawling 432-page book, which was co-written by Quincy Troupe, the collaborator both on Miles Davis’s autobiography, Miles, and Chris Gardner’s memoir, The Pursuit of Happyness.

Do yourselves a favor and cop it tomorrow.

http://www.amazon.com/Earl-The-Pearl-My-Story/dp/1609615611

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
damn i was hoping trivia contest for freebie, but u gave all answers
Apr 22nd 2013
Thanks, man
Apr 22nd 2013
*Adding to the Summer reading list*
Apr 22nd 2013
sounds good, will definitely add it to my list
Apr 22nd 2013
Pearl on the radio today
Apr 23rd 2013
Win a free copy of the book!
Apr 29th 2013

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Mon Apr-22-13 01:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "damn i was hoping trivia contest for freebie, but u gave all answers"
In response to Reply # 0

strangely i knew maybe 40% of those things.

really looking forward to this one, i've fallen behind on some of your other projects but i will be all over this. PRAISE JESUS!

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

TurkeylegJenkins
Charter member
18021 posts
Mon Apr-22-13 01:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Thanks, man"
In response to Reply # 1

Dude has lived a wild life.

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Mon Apr-22-13 02:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "*Adding to the Summer reading list*"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Apr-22-13 02:23 PM

4. "sounds good, will definitely add it to my list"
In response to Reply # 0

TurkeylegJenkins
Charter member
18021 posts
Tue Apr-23-13 12:00 PM

5. "Pearl on the radio today"
In response to Reply # 0

Pearl will be on the air with WFAN's Mike Francesa today at 2 pm.

Listen live here:

http://betaplayer.radio.com/player/sports-radio-66-wfan-ny

TurkeylegJenkins
Charter member
18021 posts
Mon Apr-29-13 10:37 AM

6. "Win a free copy of the book!"
In response to Reply # 0

Enter here:

http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/51559-earl-the-pearl-my-story

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2166136 Previous topic | Next topic