Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2163672

Subject: "RIP Carl The Truth Williams" Previous topic | Next topic
Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Wed Apr-17-13 03:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"RIP Carl The Truth Williams"
Wed Apr-17-13 03:28 PM by Warren Coolidge

most may only remember him getting handled pretty easily by Mike Tyson later on....but in 1985, Carl took Larry Holmes 15 rounds and lost a very controversial decision. I actually thought at the time that Carl won the fight, but Holmes being the long time champ I think got him the edge.. That fight I believe started to set the climate for the possibility of Holmes losing his title by a decision...which he eventually did to Michael Spinks.... If you peep out the Holesm v. Williams fight...one could argue that Carl beat Larry more decisively than Spinks did.

a really solid fighter though in his prime..

had some decent names in his win colomn too..

he beat Quick Tillis....Jesse Ferguson....Bert Cooper...Trevor Burbick...Ossie Ocasio...

**btw** his fight with Larry Holmes...the entire fight..is up on Youtube... www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7qE_ZV4uRU

Carl 'The Truth' Williams dies

Former heavyweight Carl "The Truth" Williams, who took Larry Holmes 15 rounds before losing a controversial decision for the IBF title in 1985, has died. He was 53.

Williams died April 7 in Valhalla, N.Y., according to The New York Times. His sister, Shirl Parsons, told the newspaper that her brother died of complications from throat cancer.

Williams retired in 1997. He won 21 fights by knockout and finished with a career record of 30-10.

"He was a phenomenal fighter with a big heart," Roy Jones Jr. said of Williams, according to The Times. "What earned him the greatest amount of respect was the fact that he never ducked anyone."

Williams acquired his nickname for his ability to make believers of his opponents, particularly Holmes, and critics, too.

Holmes and Williams met in Reno, Nev., in May 1985. Williams won his first 16 fights as a pro but was still a relative unknown as he went toe to toe with Holmes with the IBF title on the line.

"I underestimated the Truth that night," Holmes told The Times on Monday. "When I jabbed, he jabbed. We both had similar styles. It was like looking at myself in a mirror. He was strong and tall with a great reach, and I was fortunate enough to wear him down late with a few hard body blows, but not before he gave me a black eye. He really had my number."

According to The Times, Williams won six of his next seven fights, the last a victory over Bert Cooper in 1987 for the USBA heavyweight title. He defended the crown three times before getting knocked out by Mike Tyson just 93 seconds into their July 1989 fight in Atlantic City.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Damn... sad story
Apr 17th 2013
Damn good fighter that existed in the wrong era
Apr 17th 2013
Let's be real... that was a pretty down era too
Apr 17th 2013

OldPro
Member since Dec 10th 2002
34401 posts
Wed Apr-17-13 03:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Damn... sad story"
In response to Reply # 0

dudes jab was nice

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Wed Apr-17-13 03:31 PM

2. "Damn good fighter that existed in the wrong era"
In response to Reply # 0

I wish he was around today as a prime Truth fighting the guys today.

OldPro
Member since Dec 10th 2002
34401 posts
Wed Apr-17-13 03:36 PM

3. "Let's be real... that was a pretty down era too"
In response to Reply # 2

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2163672 Previous topic | Next topic