Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2156174

Subject: "Geno Smith is a Top 50 pick (c) Nolan Nawrocki" Previous topic | Next topic
Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28848 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 05:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Geno Smith is a Top 50 pick (c) Nolan Nawrocki"
Mon Apr-01-13 06:05 PM by Kira

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=9546877

QB Geno Smith, #12
West Virginia
PFW Grade: 5.39
Ht: 6-23/8 | Wt: 218 | Sp: 4.59 | Arm: 321/2 | Hand: 91/4

Notes: His cousin, Melvin Bratton, was a star running back for the Miami Hurricanes in the late 1980s. The Florida prep was a Parade All-American selection after throwing for over 3,000 yards and 32 touchdowns. Saw limited action in five games as a true freshman in 2009, completing 32-of-49 passes for 309 yards (65.3 percent) with one touchdown and one interception while playing through a broken fifth metatarsal in his left foot for part of the season. Took over as the starter in ’10 and tossed 241-372-2,763-24-7 (64.8) in 13 starts. Was the first West Virginia QB in 12 years to throw for over 2,500 yards in a season. Garnered heavy recognition for ’11 season, setting the Big East Conference and school mark for passing yards with 346-526-4,385-31-7 (65.8), in addition to becoming the first Mountaineer QB in history and only the second Big East player to surpass 4,000 yards in a season in 13 starts. Named Orange Bowl MVP after throwing for 407 yards and six touchdowns against Clemson. Set the school record and led the Big 12 Conference in touchdown passes in ’12 after tossing 369-518-4,205-42-6 (a conference-leading 71.2) in 13 starts. Threw for 656 yards and eight touchdowns in a 70-63 shootout victory against Baylor. Had a 26-13 record in 39 career starts.
Positives: Has a strong arm and can rifle the ball with good velocity into tight windows. Can throw with accuracy on the move and layer the deep ball. Good overall accuracy, ball placement and touch, especially on the fade route. Throws a very catchable ball — spins it tightly. Good escapability — can sidestep the rush, find an open throwing window and extend plays with his feet when needed. Outstanding straight-line speed — clocked the best 40-yard time (4.56 seconds) and broad jump (10-foot-4) of any quarterback at the Combine. Very durable, experienced, three-year starter — overcame an average offensive line, has never missed any time to injury and will play through pain.

Negatives: Operated an offense where he received adjustments from the sidelines and was often out of sync with receivers. Average field vision and coverage recognition — forces throws and does not work through progressions. Takes unnecessary sacks and does not feel pressure well. Not an elusive scrambler. Shaky lower-body mechanics — does not stand tall in the pocket (crouches, hops, dances and elevates to his toes when he throws). Has pin legs and bad pocket posture. Operated almost exclusively from the gun. Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board. Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength. Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college — cannot handle hard coaching.

Summary: Started the season red-hot with the help of two playmaking receivers and created a national stir generating a lot of overexcitement in the scouting community. Quickly came down to earth after Kansas State disguised coverages and brought pressure he could not handle and he finished dropping six of his final eight games. A cross between Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks, Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room. Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities.

NFL projection: Top-50 pick

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I was about to post this. Dude should might as well say...
Apr 01st 2013
that part killed me
Apr 01st 2013
a classic double-down...i have no problem with this.
Apr 01st 2013
I miss Joel Buchsbaum
Apr 01st 2013

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 05:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I was about to post this. Dude should might as well say..."
In response to Reply # 0

"I hate black people".

I'd respect him more.

I don't give a shit about Geno Smith. But what he wrote, added in with what he wrote about Barkley, plus what he said about Cam equals Come the Fuck on.

This cat had decades of qbs to compare him to and he only came up with Aaron Brooks and Akili Smith?

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 10:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "that part killed me"
In response to Reply # 1

>Aaron Brooks and Akili Smith

That's about as explicit of a "I hate black QBs" statement as you're likely to see.

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 05:35 PM

2. "a classic double-down...i have no problem with this. "
In response to Reply # 0

this has nothing to do with geno smith. this is him tryna get back from being fried about cam.

i respect it. sure it's 'cism, but 'genda game respect 'genda game.

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

MothershipConnection
Member since Nov 22nd 2003
7498 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 06:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I miss Joel Buchsbaum"
In response to Reply # 0

PFW used to be one of the gold standards is NFL draft coverage back in the day, but ever since Buchsbaum passed and Nawrocki took over, it's pretty much "tune in this year and see what crazy thing we have to say about a black QB prospect!"

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2156174 Previous topic | Next topic