Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2156127

Subject: "Lakers to retire Shaq jersey (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
melmag
Charter member
18470 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 04:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Lakers to retire Shaq jersey (swipe)"

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--as...184336128.html

With reconciliation not an option between feuding stars Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal after the 2004 season, the Lakers were forced to choose sides.

Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss opted for the younger Bryant, who later rewarded him with two championships. Now nearly nine years later, the Lakers are showing their appreciation for O'Neal by retiring his No. 34 jersey Tuesday night, when the Lakers face the Dallas Mavericks.

Splitting up has helped Kobe and Shaq gain some appreciation for each other. (Getty Images)In one of the team's signature eras, Shaq and Kobe made four NBA Finals appearances with the Lakers, winning three consecutive titles from 2000-02.

O'Neal won his only post-Lakers title with the Miami Heat in 2006, and it's something Bryant won't let the big man live down.

"I always remind him every time I see him," Bryant, who's won five championships with the Lakers, told Yahoo! Sports. "I saw him after the All-Star Game and said, 'How you doing, 'Four' ?' He said, 'Oh, you .' really good now. We have such a mutual respect for each other."

But it wasn't always that way.

The NBA has not had many duos as talented as O'Neal and Bryant, who each had huge egos that proved more challenging than any opponent.

Bryant viewed O'Neal as out of shape and overweight, and questioned his leadership. O'Neal pointed out that he was the "big dog" on the team. He thought Bryant was selfish and didn't pass the ball enough. O'Neal would later say the biggest issues between the two were of the marketing variety.

After falling to the Detroit Pistons in the 2004 NBA Finals, Bryant had enough when O'Neal compared him to Penny Hardway and the All-Star guard said there was "not a chance" they could play together again.

"It was inevitable," Bryant said. "You can't expect Michael to play with Wilt for his entire career. That's just not going to work. I had too much talent and too much to showcase. And then there was a challenge issued by him about me not being able to win without him. That's a challenge I couldn't pass.

"But ultimately during those years I sacrificeda lot,numbers-wise,to play with him. The thing that always bothered me was people said, 'Well, Kobe's selfish.' I'm not selfish. If I was selfish,I would haveleft. I gaveup a lotto play with him."

What if the Lakers had chosen O'Neal over Bryant?

"I would have went some place else and won more championships," Bryant said. "That's how driven I was. I was just that obsessed about winning without him. Everything was about that. I was obsessive about it and there was nothing that was going to get in my way."

O'Neal was traded to the Miami Heat on July 14, 2004, for Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, Brian Grant and first- and second-round picks. Bryant was re-signed by the Lakers the next day, but that didn't put an end to the rivalry.

In 2009, O'Neal was videotaped rapping at a club, where he said, "Kobe couldn't do it without me" while offering other explicit, taunting lyrics. Bryant responded by winning championships in 2009 and 2010. Among Bryant's first comments after winning the 2010 title was that he had passed O'Neal, who eventually retired in 2011.

"Personalities and playing for each other weren't the best of dynamics because he always wanted to do things a certain way and I was always on him about his work ethic," Bryant said. "He didn't want to hear that, but I didn't care.

"It was tough for that relationship to work forever. But there was a mutualrespect,and that'swhy you seeusengaging with each otherand conversing with each other because we knew what that was about."

Despite the many issues, Bryant added that he "really, really learned a lot" during O'Neal's time with the Lakers from 1996-2004.

"The thing that I respected about him was when he stepped on the court he was ferocious. That's the thing we both had in common. Between those lines nothing could stop us," Bryant said.

O'Neal averaged 27 points, 11.8 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 2.5 blocks per game in 514 regular-season contests with the Lakers. His best Laker season was the 1999-2000 campaign in which he averaged an NBA-best 29.7 points per game and won the regular-season and NBA Finals MVP awards.

O'Neal will become the ninth Laker to have his jersey retired when his No. 34 is hung in the Staples Center rafters Tuesday night. The others honored: Wilt Chamberlain (13), Elgin Baylor (22), Gail Goodrich (25), Magic Johnson (32), Kareem Abdul-Jabaar (33), James Worth (42), Jerry West (44) and Jamaal Wilkes (52), who are all in the Hall of Fame. While O'Neal was known for his toughness on the floor, Bryant believes a softer side will be seen Tuesday night.

"Throughout his career he's always tried not to be sensitive," Bryant said. "But hopefully he will kind of let himself go a little bit. The fans should give him what he deserves because he gave us phenomenal, phenomenal years."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Good. Kobe's next.
Apr 01st 2013
which jersey tho? both?
Apr 01st 2013
      the 24 is the post-Shaq jersey. He'll likely insist on the 24, the "mamb...
Apr 01st 2013
      he's had more of a legacy with 24 than 8
Apr 01st 2013
           I'd agree with that.
Apr 01st 2013
man is Kobe a dick or what ahahahaha
Apr 01st 2013
RE: man is Kobe a dick or what ahahahaha
Apr 01st 2013
While I know you're trying to ruffle feathers...
Apr 01st 2013
      and out of the 4 players mentioned...Wade is the inferior player
Apr 01st 2013
      WADE is the baddest.period Turkey
Apr 01st 2013
           lol
Apr 01st 2013
           Wade got that Maxxx deal
Apr 01st 2013
           RE: WADE is the baddest.period Turkey
Apr 01st 2013
           Except when Shaq was playing with Kobe
Apr 02nd 2013
                penny Hardaway is Turning over in his Grave
Apr 03rd 2013
      that's funny because by far his lowest shot attempts per 36
Apr 02nd 2013
           Cool story guy. Shaq did nothing wrong. Got it.
Apr 02nd 2013
Shaq>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kobe first
Apr 01st 2013
I do wish we had half a Shaq in 09 and 10.
Apr 01st 2013
as weee proooceeeed........to give you what you need.....(c)Puff
Apr 03rd 2013
dig that man
Apr 03rd 2013
      LMAO
Apr 03rd 2013
      You realize there's zero chance of this happening, right?
Apr 03rd 2013
           he can get his jersey retired by the heat
Apr 04th 2013
                Lol, just stop
Apr 04th 2013
                what history is that??
Apr 04th 2013
                the first title to south beach
Apr 04th 2013
                     Yeah true this almost never happens.
Apr 04th 2013
                          he won for the best basketball orgainization in the nba
Apr 04th 2013
                dogg, the Magic have more claim to Shaq than the Heat do
Apr 04th 2013
                     the magic part you make a good case, he won in south beach
Apr 04th 2013
                          Seriously, Alvin Gentry had it all wrong
Apr 04th 2013
HOT FIYAAAAA
Apr 03rd 2013
I promised myself I'd be there for whenever his jersey was retired in LA
Apr 01st 2013
Well, that's mighty magnanimous of em ain't it?
Apr 02nd 2013
SHOUTS OUT TO BIG DIESEL THO!!!
Apr 02nd 2013
i liked how he thanked Kobe
Apr 02nd 2013
Did they really put his name and number on the front of the jersey?
Apr 02nd 2013
^^
Apr 04th 2013
Nice ceremony..oh..and I guess the fans want Phil back...lol.
Apr 02nd 2013
nice ceremony
Apr 02nd 2013
congrats to shaq...
Apr 03rd 2013
Incredible energy and experience
Apr 03rd 2013
props to Shaq
Apr 03rd 2013
jeanie buss looking right
Apr 04th 2013
They are engaged
Apr 04th 2013
      and lil buss cant stand that
Apr 05th 2013

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43745 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 04:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Good. Kobe's next."
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 04:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "which jersey tho? both?"
In response to Reply # 1

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18388 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 04:33 PM

4. "the 24 is the post-Shaq jersey. He'll likely insist on the 24, the "mamb..."
In response to Reply # 3

melmag
Charter member
18470 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 04:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "he's had more of a legacy with 24 than 8"
In response to Reply # 3

Ryan M
43745 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 04:43 PM

7. "I'd agree with that."
In response to Reply # 5

2 chips, "his team", and an MVP with the 24...seems pretty much like that'd be the case.

Though it would probably be an unspoken thing that 8's retired too.

17x NBA Champions

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18388 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 04:22 PM

2. "man is Kobe a dick or what ahahahaha"
In response to Reply # 0

I mean, he's got it in his head that two megastars can't play together and never could have. And he ALWAYS says that shit - "there was no way we were gonna work, two alpha males, nah, never, can you imagine? no way, I mean us?"

Meanwhile LeBron and Dwayne Wade are best friends straight embarrassing nearly every team they play on a nightly basis.

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 04:37 PM

6. "RE: man is Kobe a dick or what ahahahaha"
In response to Reply # 2

>I mean, he's got it in his head that two megastars can't play
>together and never could have. And he ALWAYS says that shit -
>"there was no way we were gonna work, two alpha males, nah,
>never, can you imagine? no way, I mean us?"
>
>Meanwhile LeBron and Dwayne Wade are best friends straight
>embarrassing nearly every team they play on a nightly basis.

^^^^^^^^^^

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Ryan M
43745 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 04:44 PM

8. "While I know you're trying to ruffle feathers..."
In response to Reply # 2

It's pretty obvious the difference here is that, unlike Wade, Shaq wasn't willing to defer to Kobe.

The irony is that Shaq pretty much INSTANTLY deferred to Wade as soon as he got to Miami.

17x NBA Champions

El_essence
Charter member
24899 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 04:47 PM

9. "and out of the 4 players mentioned...Wade is the inferior player"
In response to Reply # 8

Ryan M
43745 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 04:54 PM

10. "WADE is the baddest.period Turkey"
In response to Reply # 9

17x NBA Champions

LBs Finest
Member since Sep 28th 2005
19846 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 04:56 PM

11. "lol"
In response to Reply # 10

the_time_is_when_god...lounge
Member since Nov 19th 2012
5495 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 08:07 PM

12. "Wade got that Maxxx deal "

--------
Twitter: _TheloniousFunk
Instagram: thelonious_funk_

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 10:06 PM

13. "RE: WADE is the baddest.period Turkey"

Co Sign the Baddest second 2 Guard EVER, EVER EVA!

D WADE is the truth and when you give him the same amount of talent around him that Kobe has you see Jewelry and domiannce.

Kobe ain't seeing no D Wade.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Tue Apr-02-13 09:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "Except when Shaq was playing with Kobe"

then no one could hold Kobe's Afro Pick.

Ryan M
43745 posts
Wed Apr-03-13 02:15 AM

28. "penny Hardaway is Turning over in his Grave"
In response to Reply # 17

You're just a JIVE turkey a) you don't realize BRON is the baddest b) ARRUH is the Kang c)

17x NBA Champions

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Tue Apr-02-13 09:59 AM

18. "that's funny because by far his lowest shot attempts per 36"
In response to Reply # 8

until he got to phx was in 2004. he probably was willing to defer to wade because wade was willing to pass it back. and wasn't the type to throw petty shit in his face a decade later.

Ryan M
43745 posts
Tue Apr-02-13 10:55 AM

19. "Cool story guy. Shaq did nothing wrong. Got it. "
In response to Reply # 18

17x NBA Champions

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 10:11 PM

14. "Shaq>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kobe first"
In response to Reply # 0

now is that lil situation working out with Dwight Howard Kobe?

turkey please still sounding like a 10 year old in pick up crying.

Kobe wouldn't have won nowhere else. he would have been in Tracy Mcgrady and Vince Carter land with scoring a bunch of points and the only ring he would have saw would have been around his neck from sweat.

and SHaq got with D Wade and it clicked and D Wade is the dude you wanna play with. nobody in there right mind wants to play with no Kobe.

i'm loving how Bron and Wade are showing you can be top dawgs and ice on the cake and no trip.

Kobe still crying over Smush parker and that has been how many years ago?

Lake show would have won without Kobe period.

anybody could have been with Shaq back then and Kobe is one lucky Pickle head jar turkey.

i bet them Laker fans wish they had half of a shaq when compared to the mess that Bynum and Howard turned out to be?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Ryan M
43745 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 11:34 PM

15. "I do wish we had half a Shaq in 09 and 10. "
In response to Reply # 14

He woulda been a better backup than Mbenga.

17x NBA Champions

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Wed Apr-03-13 02:44 AM

29. "as weee proooceeeed........to give you what you need.....(c)Puff"

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2156858&mesg_id=2156858&page=#2157044

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Apr-03-13 08:31 PM

31. "dig that man"
In response to Reply # 29

that was classic and i hope shaq goes into hall as a member of the heat

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Wed Apr-03-13 09:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
32. "LMAO"
In response to Reply # 31

>that was classic and i hope shaq goes into hall as a
>member of the heat

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44862 posts
Wed Apr-03-13 09:22 PM

34. "You realize there's zero chance of this happening, right? "
In response to Reply # 31

>i hope shaq goes into hall as a
>member of the heat

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 01:27 AM

35. "he can get his jersey retired by the heat"
In response to Reply # 34

and he made history in south beach.

him and D Wade were a scary duo.

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 01:43 AM

36. "Lol, just stop"
In response to Reply # 35

<--The drought is over

L D E A

melmag
Charter member
18470 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 10:40 AM

38. "what history is that??"

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 12:44 PM

40. "the first title to south beach"
In response to Reply # 38

that lives forever period. back to back division titles, eastern conference appearences, won the east and title in the same year nuff said.

him and D Wade were special together.

Ryan M
43745 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 12:47 PM

41. "Yeah true this almost never happens. "
In response to Reply # 40

>won the east and title in the
>same year nuff said.
>

17x NBA Champions

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 12:50 PM

44. "he won for the best basketball orgainization in the nba"
In response to Reply # 41

South Beach know how to party.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 10:48 AM

39. "dogg, the Magic have more claim to Shaq than the Heat do"

99.9% chance he goes in as a Laker, Shaq on the Heat almost doesn't count. That's like Shaq on the Cavs (though I did buy the jersey for 2 reasons: 1) it's SHAQ 2) they were running the GOAT Cavs jerseys that season)

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 12:48 PM

43. "the magic part you make a good case, he won in south beach"
In response to Reply # 39

and a title is timeless so it knocks out your argument man. he had his last hey day in Miami. got robbed out of a mvp as well there imo. shaq in cleveland is about as memorable as John Sparks in a bulls uniform.

he had some moments in phoenix, however a certain coach and system couldn't get it right

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 12:52 PM

45. "Seriously, Alvin Gentry had it all wrong "
In response to Reply # 43

>he had some moments in phoenix, however a certain coach and
>system couldn't get it right
>
>

<--The drought is over

L D E A

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Wed Apr-03-13 09:11 PM

33. "HOT FIYAAAAA"

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 11:53 PM

16. "I promised myself I'd be there for whenever his jersey was retired in LA"
In response to Reply # 0

And I will be there tomm in the 100's.

His signing with the Lakers coincided with my early teens so I grew into my own as a Lakers fan as he grew into his own as a champion. Obviously the impact he had on our franchise is clear but the memories/stories I have of myself and family revolving around Shaq and those Laker teams could be retold for days and are something I wouldn't trade for the world.

He's the first Lakers superstar that I saw from entry to exit and I couldn't be happier to see his jersey raised to where it belongs.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Apr-02-13 11:09 AM

20. "Well, that's mighty magnanimous of em ain't it?"
In response to Reply # 0

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Tue Apr-02-13 11:05 PM

21. "SHOUTS OUT TO BIG DIESEL THO!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

congrats big fella!!

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

abstractionism
Member since Nov 20th 2009
320 posts
Tue Apr-02-13 11:10 PM

22. "i liked how he thanked Kobe"
In response to Reply # 0

haj20
Member since Nov 21st 2002
16195 posts
Tue Apr-02-13 11:19 PM

23. "Did they really put his name and number on the front of the jersey?"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know how they slipped up like that.

agentzero
Member since Apr 12th 2007
1907 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 03:49 PM

46. "^^"
In response to Reply # 23

To people like US, a record is a piece of history. A moment in time.
Most people don't get it.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Tue Apr-02-13 11:30 PM

24. "Nice ceremony..oh..and I guess the fans want Phil back...lol. "
In response to Reply # 0

las raises
Member since Aug 31st 2002
14982 posts
Tue Apr-02-13 11:41 PM

25. "nice ceremony "
In response to Reply # 0

He was an amazing player

-----------------------------------------------------------------

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Wed Apr-03-13 12:24 AM

26. "congrats to shaq..."
In response to Reply # 0

..incredible career

lakers for life

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Wed Apr-03-13 02:12 AM

27. "Incredible energy and experience "
In response to Reply # 0

I'll never forget tonight

<--The drought is over

L D E A

LegacyNS
Member since Jan 16th 2004
38095 posts
Wed Apr-03-13 06:24 AM

30. "props to Shaq"
In response to Reply # 0

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 03:29 AM

37. "jeanie buss looking right"
In response to Reply # 0

is feel still tappin that?

-------------------------
“The other dude after me didn’t help my case. It was just like…crazy nigga factory going on.”
Dre makes no apologies for his own eccentricities. “I was young, and searching, trying to find myself,” he says. “Never did.”-- Andre B

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 12:47 PM

42. "They are engaged"
In response to Reply # 37

<--The drought is over

L D E A

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Fri Apr-05-13 12:46 AM

47. "and lil buss cant stand that"
In response to Reply # 42

obviously

-------------------------
“The other dude after me didn’t help my case. It was just like…crazy nigga factory going on.”
Dre makes no apologies for his own eccentricities. “I was young, and searching, trying to find myself,” he says. “Never did.”-- Andre B

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2156127 Previous topic | Next topic