Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2152409

Subject: "Pacquiao to join Jordan Brand? (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
abstractionism
Member since Nov 20th 2009
320 posts
Sun Mar-24-13 11:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Pacquiao to join Jordan Brand? (swipe)"

earn that dough while sleeping

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lancemadden/2013/03/20/will-manny-pacquiao-join-team-jordan-brand/

Will Manny Pacquiao Join Team Jordan Brand?

Will Manny Pacquiao make the move to Jordan Brand? || Credit: Getty Images

A few weeks ago BoxingScene.com noted that welterweight boxing champion Manny Pacquiao and his team were in talks with Nike to make a transition to Nike’s Jordan Brand. While an official announcement still hasn’t been made, the internal brand representation change would make sense for the boxer whose fans in the Philippines already compare him to the legendary basketball star Michael Jordan.

Anthony Gordon, President and Co-Founder of Pacquiao’s legal counsel Creative Talent & Advisory Group, LLC, has been responsible for spearheading all of the closed discussions with Nike on behalf of Pacquiao. He noted that:

“… as I explained to one of the key decision makers who deals with global marketing and branding at Nike, it became clear to Manny several months ago that there was a cultural disconnect between his enormous Asian fan base who literally follow Manny’s every move on the one hand, and the generic cache Nike brand that is one of the most well recognized logos in the world. For Manny, the fact that the hundreds of fans who came to express their support for him after the Mosley fight were wearing Manny Pacquiao T-shirts and Jordan sneakers was more impactful than any focus group could have been. Finally, the infatuation of sports fans in the Philippines and surrounding areas in Asia with basketball finally hit a marketing tipping point when the local media began branding Pacquiao as the so-called Michael Jordan of boxing …”

The Jordan Brand would not be a new addition to the boxing world. Roy Jones has endorsed the brand and Andre Ward is currently part of the Jordan Brand family. And when the iconic Jumpman logo is the center-ring logo for a boxing match in New York City’s Radio City Music Hall, you’re definitely involved in the sport.

Jordan Brand also expands into other sports not generally thought to be related, like motor sports — NASCAR driver Denny Hamlin is a Jordan Brand endorser, and Jordan has his own SuperBike team. Again, representation in the sport of boxing is not far fetched at all.

Basketball is also a part of Pacquiao’s life already. Despite being 5-foot-6, the sport is part of his training routine (great cardio), and he owns his own basketball team in the Philippines. The PacMan Gensan team of the Mindanao Visayas Basketball Association is based out of his hometown in General Santos City. They won a championship in 2005 and were runners-up in 2006.

A move to Jordan Brand would likely mean a few more dollars for Pacquiao as well, building on the $6 million he made out of the ring to put him at No. 2 on the FORBES list of highest-paid athletes.

The PacMan probably has another year or two left in his career. It would be a wise decision to move from the Swoosh to the Jumpman.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm surprised that no bed or pillow companies have offered him work
Mar 24th 2013
Lol
Mar 24th 2013
shyt
Mar 24th 2013
Hey manny, what's your sleep number?
Mar 25th 2013
smh nm
Mar 25th 2013
No, but there's finna be some Jumpman jammies
Mar 25th 2013
fuck! *dead*
Mar 26th 2013
Roy Jones Jr was with Jordan, of course "boxing isn't far off"
Mar 25th 2013
i remember those. and this rumour is about 3 years old now
Mar 25th 2013
      yeah, black/white/red, were like slippers/wrestling shoes lol
Mar 25th 2013
           these right here:
Mar 25th 2013
looks like MJ is looking to corner the pajama market
Mar 25th 2013
way to strike while the iron's hot, jorn
Mar 25th 2013

las raises
Member since Aug 31st 2002
14982 posts
Sun Mar-24-13 01:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm surprised that no bed or pillow companies have offered him work"
In response to Reply # 0

LOL

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Poorspellir
Member since Oct 26th 2011
1911 posts
Sun Mar-24-13 01:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Lol"
In response to Reply # 1

SeV
Charter member
50209 posts
Sun Mar-24-13 02:27 PM

3. "shyt"
In response to Reply # 1

Dallas Heatvricks BACK 2 BACK CHAMPS!!

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Mon Mar-25-13 01:45 AM

5. "Hey manny, what's your sleep number?"
In response to Reply # 1

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Mon Mar-25-13 06:29 PM

11. "smh nm"
In response to Reply # 5

do or die

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18756 posts
Mon Mar-25-13 09:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "No, but there's finna be some Jumpman jammies"
In response to Reply # 1

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

MISTA MONOTONE
Member since Jan 30th 2004
58563 posts
Tue Mar-26-13 12:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "fuck! *dead*"
In response to Reply # 1

------------------------------------------
latest mixtape:
https://www.mixcloud.com/mistamonotone/music-to-smack-motherfckers-to/

mistamonotone - taboo
http://mistamonotone.bandcamp.com/album/taboo

@mistamonotone
IG: mistamonotone

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Mon Mar-25-13 01:33 AM

4. "Roy Jones Jr was with Jordan, of course "boxing isn't far off""
In response to Reply # 0

Jordan has made boxing shoes for a while. Even early on he had a vague "Trainer" that was sort of for sparring, wrestling or lifting (if anyone remembers them from 1998, you know what I mean ... so no one knows what I mean).

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

rl9
Charter member
4494 posts
Mon Mar-25-13 03:23 AM

6. "i remember those. and this rumour is about 3 years old now"
In response to Reply # 4

but yeah those trainers were part of the first JB line that featured jordan shoes other than the signutare model.
must be the first ugly model, too lol.

''i went from bashful to asshole to international''- CdoubleO

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Mon Mar-25-13 12:36 PM

8. "yeah, black/white/red, were like slippers/wrestling shoes lol"
In response to Reply # 6

i used to rock them in the weight room all the time, super comfy but pretty weird looking. i wonder if there is a pair out there right now.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

rl9
Charter member
4494 posts
Mon Mar-25-13 01:00 PM

9. "these right here:"
In response to Reply # 8

http://sneakers.pair.com/l/ajtrain.jpg

right?

good luck finding those lol.

''i went from bashful to asshole to international''- CdoubleO

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Mon Mar-25-13 06:15 PM

10. "looks like MJ is looking to corner the pajama market"
In response to Reply # 0

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Mon Mar-25-13 10:18 PM

12. "way to strike while the iron's hot, jorn"
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------------
“The other dude after me didn’t help my case. It was just like…crazy nigga factory going on.”
Dre makes no apologies for his own eccentricities. “I was young, and searching, trying to find myself,” he says. “Never did.”-- Andre B

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2152409 Previous topic | Next topic