Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2135081

Subject: "Sorry SoCal story: Abysmal run of QBs from region has NFL personnel sear..." Previous topic | Next topic
guru0509
Charter member
45302 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 08:58 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Sorry SoCal story: Abysmal run of QBs from region has NFL personnel sear..."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--sorry-socal-story--abysmal-run-of-qbs-from-region-has-nfl-personnel-searching-for-answers

As news spread over the weekend that USC quarterback Matt Barkley would not throw at the NFL scouting combine this week, two NFL personnel men had a similar, withering reaction.

"Here we go again, another L.A. movie star quarterback who needs his own day to throw," a veteran scout said, the sarcasm splashing from his mouth like a wave hitting a seawall.

"And you wonder why guys from Southern California ?" a veteran team executive said, referring as much to the region as to Barkley's alma mater. "Everything is like they have to draw attention to themselves."

When it was pointed out to the executive that Barkley supposedly hasn't been cleared to throw by doctors, the anger only seemed to grow, not subside.

"I'm telling you, it's always with guys from down there… not just USC, the whole area. I don't know what it is."

Whatever it is, the concern about quarterbacks who have come out of everywhere from Santa Barbara to San Diego is nearly 30 years of failure at the NFL level. This year will mark 30 years since John Elway, a graduate of Granada Hills High in the San Fernando Valley, was drafted No. 1 overall.

Since Elway (and even fellow Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon of Hamilton High in Los Angeles before him), the quarterbacks from that region have been little more than a series of flops. While Carson Palmer, Alex Smith and Randall Cunningham have had solid careers in the pros, they are the best of an otherwise sad group.

Overall, 21 quarterbacks who grew up in Southern California have been drafted in the first four rounds of the NFL draft dating to 1984.

That's out of a total of 178 quarterbacks selected in either the regular draft or the supplemental draft during that time. In other words, SoCal quarterbacks represent nearly 12 percent of the quarterbacks selected in that time. Moreover, of the 67 quarterbacks selected in the first round since 1984, nine (13 percent) are SoCal boys.

Not one of the 21 has so much as led his team to a Super Bowl. Even worse, the failures have been staggering, including the likes of Matt Leinart, Kyle Boller, J.P. Losman, Akili Smith, Dan McGwire and show-stopper Todd Marinovich. That list doesn't include Mark Sanchez, who has regressed the past two years with the New York Jets after helping them get to back-to-back AFC Championship games.

"You ask me and it's the decline of the Los Angeles City programs," said Moon, who played at Hamilton in the 1970s. "Between budget cuts and lack of equipment and all the other things, they just can't offer the same kind of quality program that we had back when I was . You have to have development and focus to produce really skill position players like quarterbacks. That doesn't happen. I see it."

Moon sees it because he still helps old friend Paul Knox, who has been the head coach at Dorsey High in the Los Angeles area since 1985. Moon is slightly younger than Knox, who also went to Hamilton, and raises money and gets equipment donations to help with the Dorsey program. To Knox, the lack of success of SoCal quarterbacks is sobering.

"When you think about it that way, it's pretty stunning," Knox said. "We have the seven-on-seven leagues. We have the talent. If you're recruiting from the Pac-12 or the Mountain West, you're still coming here to get players.

"I would say that the talent is dispersed and most of the programs aren't what they were, at least not in . But even out in the suburbs, you get Mater Dei and some of those programs, those are good programs. I really can't explain it."

Others, including NFL personnel, have plenty of theories, particularly when it comes to guys from USC.

"When you start at USC, it's like you've already made the big time," a team executive said. "You're a star. You're in the news all the time. It's like, 'Oh yeah, I'll be in the NFL in a couple of years, don't worry about it.' That's not how you make it in this league."

Knox echoed that sentiment, saying: "USC has been like our NFL team even since the NFL left, especially when Pete Carroll was here. If you're the quarterback there, you've arrived." That sense of entitlement has manifested itself in different ways. With Leinart, there was a sense among people who were with him after he was drafted by Arizona that he was always wanting to be in Los Angeles, not with the Cardinals working on his game.

With Sanchez, his love of the limelight was cemented at USC. Even now with the Jets, Sanchez seems to welcome the attention that goes with dating starlets like Eva Longoria rather than shying away from it.

That said, Leinart and Sanchez are only two cases.

The consistent failure of the overall group is strange. Where quarterbacks from Texas, (Drew Brees, Andy Dalton, Robert Griffin III and Andrew Luck) and even Northern California (Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Colin Kaepernick) have had success, SoCal passers don't come even close.

"If there's one thing I would say, it's that they're not tough, especially from a mental standpoint," a veteran scout said. "Elway was raised by a coach. He was taught the right way. Moon had it tougher than all of them because of the . That guy had to go to Canada to prove us all wrong.

"I don't know what it is about it down there, but I haven't seen one kid from there like that since ... Like I said, movie stars."
More sports news from the Yahoo! Sports Minute:

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
the JIMMAH syndrome
Feb 21st 2013
This shit was too retarded to even finish reading
Feb 21st 2013
Certain things are irrefutable
Feb 21st 2013
      Ha, on phone, didn't originally see who swiped this but now it's perfect
Feb 21st 2013
           I'm just clowning the QB rep that SC has earned itself
Feb 21st 2013
                if you're going Vietnamese, get yourself some pho, foo
Feb 21st 2013
further proof that NorCal > SoCal
Feb 21st 2013
Better QBs for 10 years & women u need to be drunk to wanna fuck for 100
Feb 21st 2013
      Nobel Prize Winners > Tmz.com
Feb 21st 2013
           LMAO, you should have just stuck with your subject line
Feb 21st 2013
           LOL
Feb 21st 2013
           please tell me where in SF i can find this
Feb 21st 2013
                oakland
Feb 21st 2013
                these cats aint coming anywhere near Oakland man LOL
Feb 21st 2013
                you weren't hanging out in the wrong hoods
Feb 21st 2013
                     i guess i subconsciously consider it the same thing
Feb 21st 2013
I think some of the SoCal "failures" that they highlighted were a little...
Feb 21st 2013
RE: I think some of the SoCal "failures" that they highlighted were a li...
Feb 21st 2013
      Losman was highly recruited
Feb 21st 2013
           makes sense, UCLA kinda sounds like Tulane level to me
Feb 21st 2013
                Kyle Boller was actually the other big QB recruit that year
Feb 21st 2013
                     Dude, Kevin Simon was THE TRUTH before he tore his knee up
Feb 21st 2013
                          What is it with Vols and tearing knees (Simon, Jamaal Lewis)?
Feb 21st 2013
                               lol that is awful and kinda hilarious
Feb 22nd 2013
Isn't this sort of a small sample size?
Feb 21st 2013
MM HMM *Parties off this shit*
Feb 21st 2013
I HAVE A PROBLEM
Feb 21st 2013
I thought I was the only one who caught that
Feb 21st 2013
THAT SHIT. Like....they just threw it in there so people wouldn't say
Feb 21st 2013
yep....
Feb 21st 2013
well Barkley will probably be better than Sanchise
Feb 21st 2013
You ever see the list of QBs from Western PA?
Feb 21st 2013
holy cow
Feb 21st 2013
barkley's college career was so irrelevant
Feb 21st 2013
Pretty shitty article to me. And Warren shouldn't have even had to
Feb 21st 2013

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35208 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 11:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "the JIMMAH syndrome"
In response to Reply # 0

actually i never thought Matt Barkley was that kind of a dude

most of the stuff ive read is about him being the opposite actually

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 11:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "This shit was too retarded to even finish reading "
In response to Reply # 0

Is a 'sorry Western PA QBs' story not sexy enough?

Southern California high school football is in steep decline because their league leading amount of current signal-callers for the toughest and most competitive position in professional sports doesn't feature a lock Hall of Famer?

And I don't even like Barkley all that much as an NFL prospect but him being pegged as a 'Hollywood QB' seems to pretty much be based on an unnamed crotchety scout seeing that he has blonde hair and Matt Leinart liked to chase hoes.

guru0509
Charter member
45302 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 11:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Certain things are irrefutable"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu Feb-21-13 11:56 AM by guru0509

USC QBs being perennially overrated is one of them....

It'll be fun watching SC crash and burn with another slow statue under center though..

Max Browne, come on down to be the next overrated great white hype signal caller from USC!

edit, I'm surprised he actually stayed committed. Good for Kiffin.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 12:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Ha, on phone, didn't originally see who swiped this but now it's perfect"
In response to Reply # 7

OSU fans throwing QB shade is worse than Stanford fans chirping about running backs.

Like the entire history of NFL Buckeye signal-callers, nothing to see here.

It's 9 here which means noon there, about time to go have yourself a nice lunch.

Bon Appetit, Brutus.

guru0509
Charter member
45302 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 12:33 PM

11. "I'm just clowning the QB rep that SC has earned itself "
In response to Reply # 9

>OSU fans throwing QB shade is worse than Stanford fans
>chirping about running backs.

& throwing shade at the program you root for

I think I'm going to have a banh mi for lunch...

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 01:06 PM

12. "if you're going Vietnamese, get yourself some pho, foo"
In response to Reply # 11

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32081 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 11:33 AM

3. "further proof that NorCal > SoCal "
In response to Reply # 0

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 11:39 AM

4. "Better QBs for 10 years & women u need to be drunk to wanna fuck for 100"
In response to Reply # 3

>

Amritsar
32081 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 11:45 AM

5. "Nobel Prize Winners > Tmz.com "
In response to Reply # 4

and cmon, you know the ugly bay area women people talk about are all white

I'd put our asian, latina, and black women up against any other region

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 11:53 AM

6. "LMAO, you should have just stuck with your subject line"
In response to Reply # 5

>and cmon, you know the ugly bay area women people talk about
>are all white
>
>
>I'd put our asian, latina, and black women up against any
>other region
>
>
>

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 01:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 5

>and cmon, you know the ugly bay area women people talk about
>are all white
>
>
>other region
>
>
>

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

3xKrazy
Charter member
21576 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 04:56 PM

24. "please tell me where in SF i can find this"
In response to Reply # 5

>other region

I was there for the first time last month. i must have been hanging out in the wrong hoods

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 04:58 PM

25. "oakland"
In response to Reply # 24

there's no black people in SF

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Amritsar
32081 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 09:35 PM

32. "these cats aint coming anywhere near Oakland man LOL"
In response to Reply # 25

Amritsar
32081 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 05:00 PM

26. "you weren't hanging out in the wrong hoods "
In response to Reply # 24

you were in the wrong damn city lol

when people hear "the bay" they only think of SF??

3xKrazy
Charter member
21576 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 05:21 PM

27. "i guess i subconsciously consider it the same thing"
In response to Reply # 26
Thu Feb-21-13 05:29 PM by 3xKrazy

or not a distinction worthy of mentioning when casually recounting my visit to a friend

ie. "I was in SF last week" vs "I was in SF and oakland and carmel and etc etc" last week

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 12:01 PM

8. "I think some of the SoCal "failures" that they highlighted were a little..."
In response to Reply # 0

disingenuous...

"Matt Leinart, Kyle Boller, J.P. Losman, Akili Smith, Dan McGwire and show-stopper Todd Marinovich..."

I never thought Leinart was that good, I thought he benefitted from playing with a ridiculously talented team. Boller sucked in college and I think he completed less that 50% of his passes, but scouts fell in love because he could throw a ball 60 yards on 1 knee. Losman was one of those out of nowhere workout wonders too. As for a Akili, I don't think any of the dudes that went off to play baseball for a few years then came back to football ever panned out. Dan McGwire got notoriety because of his brother, Marinovich had a fucked up childhood and became a crackhead.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 03:18 PM

15. "RE: I think some of the SoCal "failures" that they highlighted were a li..."
In response to Reply # 8

>disingenuous...
>
>"Matt Leinart, Kyle Boller, J.P. Losman, Akili Smith, Dan
>McGwire and show-stopper Todd Marinovich..."
>
>I never thought Leinart was that good, I thought he benefitted
>from playing with a ridiculously talented team. Boller sucked
>in college and I think he completed less that 50% of his
>passes,
Boller was one of many QB fuckups by Brian Billick post-Super Bowl before picking up McNair: Elvis Grbac, Chris Redman, Boller, Anthony Wright.

I don't remember anyone thinking Boller was gonna be any better than Eric Zeier besides Billick.

but scouts fell in love because he could throw a ball
>60 yards on 1 knee. Losman was one of those out of nowhere
>workout wonders too.
Not to mention Losman was playing at damn Tulane, obviously he wasn't pedigreed coming out of HS.

As for a Akili, I don't think any of the
>dudes that went off to play baseball for a few years then came
>back to football ever panned out. Dan McGwire got notoriety
>because of his brother, Marinovich had a fucked up childhood
>and became a crackhead.

MothershipConnection
Member since Nov 22nd 2003
7498 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 03:26 PM

16. "Losman was highly recruited"
In response to Reply # 15
Thu Feb-21-13 03:29 PM by MothershipConnection

He actually started off at UCLA and enrolled early, but transferred after spring practice after he didn't win the starting job and cause he was tired of Corey Paus bullying him around. And we haven't had a half decent QB since then, though Hundley looks like he's breaking that.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, we've actually had three QBs since then that transferred away and later played in the NFL: Losman, Matt Moore, and Macleod Bethel-Thompson. Not that those guys would have made a difference over some horrid Toledo/Dorrell/Neuheisel coaching, but sure as shit beats out Ben Olson and Kevin Craft.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 03:28 PM

17. "makes sense, UCLA kinda sounds like Tulane level to me"
In response to Reply # 16

fuckin around, I don't know shit about Losman's high school career.

MothershipConnection
7498 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 03:58 PM

20. "Kyle Boller was actually the other big QB recruit that year"
In response to Reply # 17

I don't know why I remember those details since I was around 13 at the time (probably that's when I started paying attention to high school football cause I was about to start it), but UCLA stopped recruiting Boller cause they got Losman early (USC already got Carson Palmer the year before), only to be left empty handed when Losman transferred before ever getting a snap at UCLA. And then neither of them amount to shit as pros, which was my first lesson in learning that recruiting battles that are a BIG DEAL will more than likely not mean anything a few years down the road (other BIG DEAL recruiting battles that turned out to be nothing: Marvin Simmons vs. Kevin Simon vs. Michael Craven, and Lorenzo Booker vs. Hershel Dennis, though I still got love for Hershel).

BennyTenStack
Member since Sep 09th 2007
5681 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 11:01 PM

33. "Dude, Kevin Simon was THE TRUTH before he tore his knee up"
In response to Reply # 20

As a freshman, pre-injury, he looked like he was going to be the next Al Wilson. Then he tore his knee up and was never the same. It's a shame, because he was on his way to stardom.

MothershipConnection
7498 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 11:20 PM

34. "What is it with Vols and tearing knees (Simon, Jamaal Lewis)?"
In response to Reply # 33

Anyway UCLA worked out just fine in that battle, cause even though they missed out on those guys, we ended up with Spencer Havner who ended up being All Pac-10 and played a few years in the League, but my real disappointment from that group was Marvin Simmons. Most people know he had a hard time qualifying and couldn't stick at USC and eventually ended up at K-State, but I went to high school with him. There's like 6 or 7 Simmons brothers, all of whom played football at Poly or Compton Dominguez (I think the youngest one JUST graduated) and all of whom look nearly identical, and as it was told to me by one of my friends who played on the team, after Marvin had trouble getting a qualifying SAT after 3 or 4 tries, he actually sent one of his college-aged brothers to take it for him... and his brother couldn't get a qualifying score either! How do you cheat and still not qualify?

BennyTenStack
Member since Sep 09th 2007
5681 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 12:43 AM

35. "lol that is awful and kinda hilarious"
In response to Reply # 34

And yeah, we've had some bad luck with star players getting hurt. Justin Hunter was another one two seasons ago. We've been kinda cursed with that. Even in basketball when Chris Lofton got cancer his senior year several years ago and Jeronne Maymon tearing up his knee before this season.

MothershipConnection
7498 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 12:28 PM

10. "Isn't this sort of a small sample size?"
In response to Reply # 0

It also brings up guys like Marinovich and Dan McGwire who haven't played in 20 years as negatives, in which case we might as well start marking down David Carr as a negative against Nor Cal and Jim Druckenmiller as a negative against Western PA.

The only thing that So Cal has done wrong are that guys like Carson Palmer and Randall Cunningham topped out at good but not HOF careers, which I don't think you can blame on the LADWP or So Cal smog at that point. And the only real story here is that USC QBs in the Carroll/Kiffin era have been terrible pros with the exception of Palmer, and that UCLA hasn't put a QB in the pros in over a decade.

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28833 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 01:22 PM

14. "MM HMM *Parties off this shit*"
In response to Reply # 0

Carson and Alex are not successes at all. They are examples of dat priviledge. Carson has lived off one playoff appearance for years. HE FUCKING SUCKS. The 9ers let Alex suck for six years until the front office finally brought in a coach that neutered him for a year before turning him loose. Every QB in this article could put up Alex Smith's stats from his seventh year with enough time and patience from a front office.

Cali QBs aren't as hungry as other regions. The SC QBs are pampered as shit. If Mike Glennon is successful NC State is a better school for quarterbacks this generation than SC.

WE PARTYING! LOLSCLOL

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 03:44 PM

18. "I HAVE A PROBLEM"
In response to Reply # 0

"While Carson Palmer, Alex Smith and Randall Cunningham have had solid careers in the pros"

AnonymousCoward
Member since Sep 17th 2002
15394 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 04:00 PM

21. "I thought I was the only one who caught that"
In response to Reply # 18

http://clydefrazierapproves.com/
http://stylepoints.tumblr.com/

"Like 4 out of 5 things you say on OKP offend me." -FireBrand

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51981 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 05:21 PM

28. "THAT SHIT. Like....they just threw it in there so people wouldn't say"

"wait....they didn't mention them????"

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5621 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 06:04 PM

30. "yep...."

dont group cunningham in with those people...

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

LBs Finest
Member since Sep 28th 2005
19846 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 03:45 PM

19. "well Barkley will probably be better than Sanchise"
In response to Reply # 0

Though that really isn't saying much.

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 04:28 PM

22. "You ever see the list of QBs from Western PA?"
In response to Reply # 0

Unitas
Montana
Namath
Marino
Kelly

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Amritsar
32081 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 09:34 PM

31. "holy cow "
In response to Reply # 22

that's an epic list right there

3xKrazy
Charter member
21576 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 04:51 PM

23. "barkley's college career was so irrelevant "
In response to Reply # 0

hard to believe why anything he does is remotely newsworthy

but watching carroll era SC qb's crash and burn is always fun

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51981 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 05:22 PM

29. "Pretty shitty article to me. And Warren shouldn't have even had to"
In response to Reply # 0

defend it, because his response doesn't really equate to why they don't produce in the NFL.

And I like how it goes from "L.A." to then San Diego and Santa Barbara so they can say "Southern California QB's" LOL

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2135081 Previous topic | Next topic