Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2122360

Subject: "Bad Teamate: Larry Bird won't retuen my calls (c) Chief" Previous topic | Next topic
ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 02:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Bad Teamate: Larry Bird won't retuen my calls (c) Chief"

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/2013/01/25/robert-parish-yearns-for-nba-coaching-job/2nHzPnNCisC5pEv5R2eqWP/story.html

Actually this is sad but i dont blame Larry or Mchale. Seems liek Robert blew his ash and is just desperate for a job. Dude once had a PR job with the C's for 80k a year and was like that aint enough for me.

CORNELIUS, N.C. — He was always the mystery man in the middle, 00 on a team where 33 drew the spotlight and 32 the laughs, a proudly impassive, hugely talented, ever elusive presence.

So it was a surprise when this resolute loner picked up the phone at his home in North Carolina on the third ring.

“People shouldn’t feel sad; they should help me get a job,” said the Hall of Fame center with the deep voice on the other end. “I need a coaching job in the NBA. I’m restless and I need money. ”

At 8 the following morning, a jovial Parish, looking as if he could still hit that rainbow jumper over Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, stretches out on an enormous couch, sips mineral water, and answers questions for nearly two hours.

Parish, 59, said that Bird and McHale, both of whom have held coaching and front office jobs in the league (McHale is the coach of the Houston Rockets), have done nothing to help him in his quest to return to the NBA, although he says he has reached out to them. He calls his Hall of Fame teammates “acquaintances.”

“In my case, I don’t have any friends,’’ Parish said. “I saw Kevin at an event; he said he was going to call me. He never called. I called Larry twice when he was at the Indiana Pacers; he never returned my call. And not just Larry. Across the board, most NBA teams do not call back. You need a court order just to get a phone call back from these organizations. I’m not a part of their fraternity.”

Bird has a rather different recollection. Traveling, he sent a concise text in response to questions from the Globe: “Robert never called me for a job. Period.”

McHale, for his part, expressed remorse in a voicemail. He said he tried to hire Parish when he was in Minnesota, but “I went back and checked . . . we were actually reducing spots at the time. Then I was let go from Minnesota.”

He says he saw Parish later, when McHale worked for TNT.

“I feel terrible about the whole thing, but I just didn’t have a position,’’ McHale said. “I would have loved to have hired Robert if something would’ve came up.”

Parish said he never called former teammate and Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge directly, but he has talked to the Celtics.

“You would think Danny would’ve stepped up and said something,’’ he said. “I think he’s got a little pull with the organization. But I didn’t take it personal. I understood.’’

He won championships with these guys, so why no love?

“I know it’s hard to believe,” he said with a shrug, “But trust me, that’s right.”

Pressed for a further explanation, he answered, “I don’t know. I would not consider myself part of Larry’s inner circle, like he’s not in my inner circle. Same thing with Kevin. He’s not in my inner circle; I’m not in his inner circle. Same thing with Danny. You know we respect each other. We had the camaraderie, obviously, collectively, on the team because of our success on the court. But off the court, you know, we weren’t hanging out going to dinner, drinks, going to the movies, double dating, whatever you wanted to do. We weren’t doing any of that.”

Parish is pressed on his relationship with Ainge.

He responds by reaching back in time, telling a story about how Celtics president Red Auerbach and coach K.C. Jones once asked him to take fewer shots because Dennis Johnson and Ainge wanted more scoring opportunities. The Chief readily agreed.

“Danny is selfish, even after I made the sacrifice for him and DJ, he still asked to be traded.’’

Parish said that Bill Walton, whom he calls “the most honest person I ever met, besides my parents,” has given him some realistic advice.

“He said most teams are not going to call you back, it’s not personal, it’s protocol. Don’t take it personal, don’t be insulted by it. It’s just the way it is.”

Several years ago, his representatives reached out to all 30 NBA teams. Only two called him back. Now he’s trying harder. “I’ve been guilty of that, too, not returning phone calls.’’ he said. “We all have. “

He says he’s not angry at his teammates, either.

“I have never sat here and said those didn’t call me back. Not one time. I am very proud of this fact.”

Named one of 50 greatest

Nobody played in more NBA games than the Chief. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2003 and had been named one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA history in 1996. Continued...

Stan Grossfeld can be reached at grossfeld@globe.com.

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Hmm... what's the big difference between Bird/McHale and Parish?
Jan 30th 2013
Here is why the phone isn't ringing: (swiped from SI)
Jan 30th 2013
... yikes.
Jan 30th 2013
now on the subject of Mrs. Parrish
Jan 30th 2013
      Nope
Jan 30th 2013
Or ML Carr... oh wait...
Jan 30th 2013
I'm confused, the Celtics have him listed as a consultant:
Jan 30th 2013
NBA teams aren't there to hand out jobs to retired players
Jan 30th 2013
he's got to work his way up....college or d-league...
Jan 30th 2013
aka The Kareem Method
Jan 30th 2013
few things
Jan 30th 2013

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 03:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Hmm... what's the big difference between Bird/McHale and Parish?"
In response to Reply # 0

If only there was some obvious trait that Parish had that would make management more hesitant to hire him than Bird or McHale...

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Castro
Charter member
50750 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 04:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Here is why the phone isn't ringing: (swiped from SI)"
In response to Reply # 1

Take the case of Robert Parish, the longtime Boston Celtic center who now plays for the Charlotte Hornets. While portrayed for years by the image-makers in Boston as a gentle giant who was as large in class and character as in stature, Parish, according to his former wife, Nancy Saad, was a domestic terrorist. Nowhere is this dark side more graphically revealed than in her recounting of an incident on the afternoon of June 2, 1987, hours before the Celtics were to open the NBA Finals against the Los Angeles Lakers at the Forum.

As Saad arrived at the door of her estranged husband's room at the Marriott Hotel near L.A. International Airport, she recalls, she could hear muffled laughter in the room and the voices of a woman and a man, and she could smell the smoke from a marijuana cigarette, Parish's favorite scent. She and Parish had not lived together for nearly a year, not since the day, she says, when Parish, who is 7'1" and 230 pounds, threw her down the stairs of their house in Weston, Mass., and then, as she screamed for help, kicked her as she stumbled out the front door.

On this day in June, Saad says, she had driven to the Marriott from her home in Santa Monica to talk with Parish about several nagging issues: One involved their five-year-old son, Justin, whom Parish had not seen in weeks and who had recently suffered minor injuries in a bicycle accident, and another had to do with the $3,000 a month he was sending her in child support out of his $100,000-a-month salary. "I called him when they arrived at the Marriott and told him I would like to come talk to him," she says.

She says that she rapped on the hotel room door and that Parish opened it as far as the chain would allow and peered down. Then, she says, he asked, "Bitch, what are you doin' here?"

"I've been trying to reach you," she said. "I want to talk to you about Justin...."

"Can't you see I'm busy?" he said. He closed the door, she says, and she knocked again. She heard the sliding of the chain. The door cracked open again, and this time she pushed it with her right arm. "Let me in," she said. "You're not going to keep doing this to me...." Saad looked in the room, she says, and saw a naked woman grabbing a sheet to cover herself. The woman screamed, whereupon Parish opened the door farther and said, "Bitch, are you——crazy? I'll kill you!"

According to Saad, Parish then grabbed her by the throat and threw her out the door, into the hallway, and she remembers being punched and thrown into a wall and spinning and thumping off the door of an adjacent room. The next thing she recalls is falling dizzily to the floor and lying there supine, looking up at a stranger's face, that of an older man with salt-and-pepper hair who was wearing a dress shirt. He said, "What the...!" She remembers saying to him, "Help me...!" And then she recalls hearing Parish's bass voice, slow and deep and rolling over her, still eerie and unclear, saying something to the older man. "I don't know what it was," she says. "The man went in and shut his door." And then Parish kicked her, she says, and he was saying, "Get the——out!"

Eight years later Saad still has no memories of what happened to her immediately after the events of that June afternoon. In fact, she remains uncertain about how she got home that day, and she is unclear as to how she arrived the next morning at Saint John's Hospital and Health Center in Santa Monica, where she remained for seven days, with a stay in intensive care, and where, according to her hospital records, she was diagnosed with a "closed head injury," impaired vision in her right eye, abrasions around her left eye and over her right cheek, a "large bruise" on her right arm and soreness and spasms in her neck. This battering, according to a medical evaluation written three years later, led to chronic headaches and convulsions. Parish, from whom Saad has been divorced since 1990, declined to comment, according to his representative, James McLaughlin, on this or any other "allegations made by his ex-wife."

While Saad says the beating at the Marriott was the most traumatic she suffered at Parish's hands, it was no isolated event. In fact, she says, the abuse, both psychological and physical, began not long after they started dating in 1980 and persisted throughout their 10-year relationship. There was that night in late '81 when she was eight months pregnant and, she says, "he pushed me down a flight of stairs" because she kept badgering him to tell her why he wasn't coming home at nights. There was the summer evening in '82 when she criticized his erratic driving after a party outside San Francisco, and, according to her, he swung the car to a halt on the shoulder of the road and "took his foot and kicked me out of the car. I was screaming and holding on." She says he left her there, after dropping infant Justin in her arms, to walk for miles in the dark. On other occasions there were kicks to the legs and punches to the face and head, she says, and there were times he took her keys and locked her out of the house, leaving her to make late-night calls for help to sympathetic Celtics and their wives, particularly to Kim and Scott Wedman and to Sylvia and M.L. Carr, now Boston's coach and general manager.

Asked about his and Sylvia's knowledge of the domestic violence in the Parish household, Carr says only, "I've got lots of other positive things to talk about, and I'd rather not comment on this right now." Wedman did not return telephone calls to his home and office in Kansas City. A friend of Parish's who was in Los Angeles that June day says he saw Saad, sobbing and frantic, in the Marriott lobby. Sam Vincent, then a Boston player, says he was in a room next to Parish's and that he heard arguing in the hallway before he answered Saad's knock on his door. Vincent, who now does sports marketing in Orlando, told Saad he did not want to get involved in what he assumed was a marital dispute.

Saad's experience as a battered wife, with its assorted paradoxes and horrors, was singular neither in its nature nor in the dynamics that sustained it. As such it demonstrates why domestic violence is viewed not only as one of America's most critical social issues, as disabling psychologically as it is physically, but also is among the most baffling of social phenomena in its often endless repeated spin cycles of pain, retribution, contrition and more pain.

------------------
One Hundred.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 04:15 PM

3. "... yikes."
In response to Reply # 2

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

themaddfapper
Member since Mar 09th 2010
7558 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 05:09 PM

7. "now on the subject of Mrs. Parrish"
In response to Reply # 2

simmons in his book of basketball references that she was absolutely bonkers, and when domestic abuse allegations came up, his stepmother, a staunch NE feminist, sided with the chief, a testament to how crazy they took her to be from seeing her in person at the games.

take that for what it's worth coming from the source.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 05:28 PM

9. "Nope"
In response to Reply # 7

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 04:25 PM

4. "Or ML Carr... oh wait..."
In response to Reply # 1

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 04:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I'm confused, the Celtics have him listed as a consultant:"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.nba.com/celtics/history/Robert-Parish.html

MothershipConnection
Member since Nov 22nd 2003
7498 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 04:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "NBA teams aren't there to hand out jobs to retired players"
In response to Reply # 0

It's unfortunate Parish isn't on better speaking terms with some of his ex-teammates, but that Walton quote pretty much summed it up. I mean I feel for guys like him and Kareem to some extent but at some point you gotta move on.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 05:26 PM

8. "he's got to work his way up....college or d-league..."
In response to Reply # 0

the worst thing he can do is complain about it though.....

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 06:29 PM

10. "aka The Kareem Method "
In response to Reply # 8

>the worst thing he can do is complain about it though.....

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 06:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "few things"
In response to Reply # 0

1. i think Parrish has less beef than Kareem or Patrick Ewing regarding being somewhat blacklisted

2. anybody but me always thought Parrish look sexactly like Claibos from Clash of the Titans:

http://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotImages/27/1cb3e05a-0abc-46b2-89e0-19028ac8d26b_lg.jpeg

vs

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OXR5e1PTsqk/UIL2eWPqsMI/AAAAAAAAJX4/AdP2MNfurzk/s1600/calibos1981.jpg

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2122360 Previous topic | Next topic