Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2121535

Subject: "Miami Times claims evidence of steroid ring including ARod, Gio, Melky" Previous topic | Next topic
B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 10:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Miami Times claims evidence of steroid ring including ARod, Gio, Melky"

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2013-01-31/news/a-rod-and-doping-a-miami-clinic-supplies-drugs-to-sports-biggest-names/

big article, too much to swipe.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
this list just looks guilty
Jan 29th 2013
For the IARAT crowd...
Jan 29th 2013
people are still wasting their time investigating steroids in baseball?
Jan 29th 2013
it's still illegal, right?
Jan 29th 2013
sure is. it's also illegal for other sports, too.
Jan 29th 2013
      they got a fair few of "other sports" stars here
Jan 29th 2013
           MLB testing policy is better than other major sports
Jan 29th 2013
                Still not a meaningful test for designer drugs
Jan 29th 2013
                     Yeah, Victor Conte refers to them as IQ tests
Jan 29th 2013
if it saves the yanks 25 mil per yr i'm for it
Jan 29th 2013
shells, you know better....KEEP THE SAME INTENSITY!!!!
Jan 29th 2013
i'm out. nailing chooch was the bridge too far
Jan 29th 2013
Didn't he just test positive?
Jan 29th 2013
      thereby ending any remaining shred of patience i have
Jan 29th 2013
           he tested positive for adderal, don't drag Chooch into an ARod defense
Jan 29th 2013
                honestly, i didn't know
Jan 29th 2013
                     it was adderal, he just fucked up not getting a script for it
Jan 29th 2013
I agree wholeheartedly, I think now more than ever we need ...
Jan 29th 2013
people are still wasting their time pretending Jetes didn't win?
Jan 29th 2013
smh nellie
Jan 29th 2013
MLB press release is sort of "uh oh"
Jan 29th 2013
this shit head wrote in pen and paper? Unreal.
Jan 29th 2013
RE: this shit head wrote in pen and paper? Unreal.
Jan 29th 2013
      "Never write anything down" (c) West Indian Archie
Jan 29th 2013
      super hidden laptop with no aircard? I dunno. Not pen and paper
Jan 29th 2013
sucks to see Yuri Gamboa on that list, but it's boxing so
Jan 29th 2013
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs4/1148380_o.gif
Jan 29th 2013
Gio dirty, GOOD
Jan 29th 2013
Gio's curve ball is dirty
Jan 29th 2013
curve, fastball, name: all dirtier than a San Fernando Valley film set
Jan 29th 2013
      They should pass a condom law for this pitch
Jan 29th 2013
Reports are the link to Gio is iffy
Jan 29th 2013
      He wrote down Gio's name
Jan 29th 2013
      speaking of 'iffy', that seems like one iffy plea to cop but we'll see
Jan 29th 2013
           does it ever
Jan 29th 2013
anyone attempting to cop through an anti-aging "doctor"
Jan 29th 2013
*Doesn't see Braun's name,dances*
Jan 29th 2013
^^^^^
Jan 29th 2013
Sprecher and Kopps burgers for everyone on me.
Jan 29th 2013
NOT SO FAST, MY FRIEND!
Feb 05th 2013
Best post of the year
Feb 05th 2013
i was gonna go with 'Thank God It Snowed', but that works too
Feb 05th 2013
LOL
Feb 06th 2013
Fed-Ex can't help him now
Feb 05th 2013
I was one of the last ARod defending Yankee fans left.
Jan 29th 2013
: )
Feb 05th 2013
Errrrbody doing it.....why do we act surprised? ..lets play ball
Feb 05th 2013
Why dont Japanese players use PEDs?
Feb 05th 2013
Can I be 'cist and say "honor"?
Feb 06th 2013
Braun has been named too
Feb 06th 2013
Lol
Feb 06th 2013
      lol
Feb 06th 2013

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 10:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "this list just looks guilty"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-29-13 10:57 AM by rjc27

hell, half of it already is...

if a-rod is really this dumb that he even lied bout stopping his steroid use, wow, hope the yanks can use this to get out of his horrific contract

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 11:02 AM

2. "For the IARAT crowd..."
In response to Reply # 0

"Anti-aging" clinic in Miami run by non-doctor whose father was at the heart of the Manny violation pissed off his employees and investors by not paying them, they handed over the records of the clinic to the Miami Times who have been investigating the past three months and attempting to corroborating the info. Official docs outline the range of drugs offered by the clinic (hgh, testo creams, hybrids, anabolics) to normal customers, but personal hand written documents from the "doctor" himself list a range of stars with Miami ties and records of drug sales and cash received. Arod listed a bunch. Melky listed including what got him busted and a personal letter to his go-between for, apparently, unpaid amounts due for the last dose that got him caught. Gio is listed along with his father, who talked to the paper and is trying to fall on his sword for his son, saying he was the one that went there. University of Miami baseball is listed heavily too, including dealing direct to their strength and conditioning coach.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 11:05 AM

3. "people are still wasting their time investigating steroids in baseball?"
In response to Reply # 0

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 11:07 AM

4. "it's still illegal, right? "
In response to Reply # 3

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 11:08 AM

6. "sure is. it's also illegal for other sports, too."
In response to Reply # 4

i understand guys have careers to make, but, hey, how about check out something we haven't heard before?

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 11:12 AM

8. "they got a fair few of "other sports" stars here"
In response to Reply # 6

The risk/reward with baseball and their guaranteed contracts and pathetic testing policy just means more of their names pop up.

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 12:18 PM

15. "MLB testing policy is better than other major sports"
In response to Reply # 8

Though that doesn't really disqualify it from being pathetic.

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 12:51 PM

16. "Still not a meaningful test for designer drugs"
In response to Reply # 15

and testosterone testing is all based on symptomatic tests rather than actual substance detection. And it's random without being random and handled internally, so it becomes a very wink wink, nudge nudge roulette game with some of these guys.

Call It Anything
10951 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 12:52 PM

17. "Yeah, Victor Conte refers to them as IQ tests"
In response to Reply # 16

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 11:08 AM

5. "if it saves the yanks 25 mil per yr i'm for it"
In response to Reply # 3

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 11:09 AM

7. "shells, you know better....KEEP THE SAME INTENSITY!!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

barry gone and it's still happening...THE SAME INTENSITY...don't get all fatigued now, dogg. in 2004, NOBODY was fatigued...people wanted to know how that black man put up them video game numbers. now, we all supposed to be tired?

NOPE!!!

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 11:13 AM

9. "i'm out. nailing chooch was the bridge too far"
In response to Reply # 7

----
bshelly

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 11:37 AM

10. "Didn't he just test positive?"
In response to Reply # 9

That wasn't really an investigation. He just lost. He'll sit for 25 games and then play when those are over.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 12:14 PM

14. "thereby ending any remaining shred of patience i have"
In response to Reply # 10

for the steroids in baseball issue.

----
bshelly

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 01:10 PM

20. "he tested positive for adderal, don't drag Chooch into an ARod defense"
In response to Reply # 14

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 01:19 PM

25. "honestly, i didn't know"
In response to Reply # 20

i only knew that chooch had been suspended for drugs, then i ignored everything else, because it's too depressing to live in a world where chooch is suspended. he's like one of the few things left about the phils that is 100 percent likable.

----
bshelly

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 01:35 PM

29. "it was adderal, he just fucked up not getting a script for it"
In response to Reply # 25

>i only knew that chooch had been suspended for drugs, then i
>ignored everything else, because it's too depressing to live
>in a world where chooch is suspended. he's like one of the
>few things left about the phils that is 100 percent likable.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 01:55 PM

35. "I agree wholeheartedly, I think now more than ever we need ..."
In response to Reply # 7

very STRICT policies in all the major sports. stronger testing, ongoing samples and long bans. there is, unfortunately, no other effective way to combat use and prevent it from becoming the norm.

i don't think it's a huge issue in the NBA or NHL (maybe HGH in both but that's grayer to me). but in MLB and NFL, it's enormous, they need stronger policies like we see in the Olympics, track, futbol, etc.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 01:11 PM

22. "people are still wasting their time pretending Jetes didn't win?"
In response to Reply # 3

*Nelson Muntz*

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 11:53 AM

11. "smh nellie"
In response to Reply # 0

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 11:58 AM

12. "MLB press release is sort of "uh oh""
In response to Reply # 0

Statement from MLB on the New Times report We are always extremely disappointed to learn of potential links between players and the use of performance-enhancing substances. These developments, however, provide evidence of the comprehensive nature of our anti-drug efforts. Through our Department of Investigations, we have been actively involved in the issues in South Florida. It is also important to note that three of the players allegedly involved have already been disciplined under the Joint Drug Program.

The recommendations of the Mitchell Report have once again played a critical role in Major League Baseballs ongoing efforts against performance-enhancing drugs. MLB implemented all of the recommendations made by Senator Mitchell in 2007, several of which emphasized the significance of installing proactive investigative services.

The establishment of our Department of Investigations has represented a critical advance in these comprehensive efforts. In the years since its formation, DOIs work has proven pivotal to bringing to light information regarding the use of performance-enhancing substances. Furthermore, DOI has built strong working relationships with federal and local law enforcement authorities. These relationships are crucial because only law enforcement officials have the capacity to reach those outside the game who are involved in the distribution of illegal performance-enhancing drugs.

Vigilance remains the key toward protecting the integrity of our game. We have the best and most stringent drug testing policy in professional sports, we continue to work with our doctors and trainers to learn what they are seeing day-to-day and we educate our players about the games unbending zero-tolerance approach. We remain fully committed to following all leads and seeking the appropriate outcomes for all those who use, purchase and are involved in the distribution of banned substances, which have no place in our game.

We are in the midst of an active investigation and are gathering and reviewing information. We will refrain from further comment until this process is complete.

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 12:11 PM

13. "this shit head wrote in pen and paper? Unreal."
In response to Reply # 0

NAPO
Member since Oct 21st 2004
1428 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 01:04 PM

19. "RE: this shit head wrote in pen and paper? Unreal."
In response to Reply # 13

alternatives?

keep it all in your head?

AES 256 encrypted computer file?

written down code?

no snark, just wondering b/c off bat it seems stupid, but im trying to think alternatives. i think what WAS completely stupid was trusting those files w/ your employees or investors (whoever snitched)

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 01:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. ""Never write anything down" (c) West Indian Archie"
In response to Reply # 19

To mix movie metaphors, you don't want end up going out like Artie Piscano.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Tiger Woods
18385 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 01:42 PM

32. "super hidden laptop with no aircard? I dunno. Not pen and paper"
In response to Reply # 19
Tue Jan-29-13 01:42 PM by Tiger Woods

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 01:00 PM

18. "sucks to see Yuri Gamboa on that list, but it's boxing so"
In response to Reply # 0

he probably won't face any sanctions as long as he has a note from his mother.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 01:11 PM

21. "http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs4/1148380_o.gif"
In response to Reply # 0

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs4/1148380_o.gif

theothursdays
Member since Aug 05th 2002
12387 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 01:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
23. "Gio dirty, GOOD"
In response to Reply # 0

----

Call It Anything
10951 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 01:18 PM

24. "Gio's curve ball is dirty"
In response to Reply # 23

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 01:33 PM

28. "curve, fastball, name: all dirtier than a San Fernando Valley film set"
In response to Reply # 24

Call It Anything
10951 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 01:53 PM

34. "They should pass a condom law for this pitch"
In response to Reply # 28

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/gio00031.gif

OldPro
Member since Dec 10th 2002
34401 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 01:33 PM

27. "Reports are the link to Gio is iffy"
In response to Reply # 23

Supposedly his pops was going to the clinic for weight loss help... but you know how these things go

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 01:36 PM

30. "He wrote down Gio's name"
In response to Reply # 27

and his dad talked to the paper, which actually didn't come off as good when he claimed he didn't know what they were up to there.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 01:36 PM

31. "speaking of 'iffy', that seems like one iffy plea to cop but we'll see"
In response to Reply # 27

>Supposedly his pops was going to the clinic for weight loss
>help... but you know how these things go
>_________________________________
>Reunion Radio Podcasts
>http://reunionradio.blogspot.com/
>Twitter @therealoldpro

Tiger Woods
18385 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 01:43 PM

33. "does it ever"
In response to Reply # 31

3xKrazy
Charter member
21581 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 02:49 PM

36. "anyone attempting to cop through an anti-aging "doctor""
In response to Reply # 0

deserves to be caught.

how stupid can you be?

cantball
Charter member
46630 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 02:50 PM

37. "*Doesn't see Braun's name,dances*"
In response to Reply # 0

Behold my works,ye mighty

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42759 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 03:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
38. "^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 37

Lardlad95
Member since Jul 31st 2002
66340 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 07:56 PM

39. "Sprecher and Kopps burgers for everyone on me."

MothershipConnection
Member since Nov 22nd 2003
7498 posts
Tue Feb-05-13 08:07 PM

41. "NOT SO FAST, MY FRIEND!"

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ryan-braun-s-name-listed-in-biogenesis-clinic-records-235650670.html

Milwaukee Brewers star Ryan Braun's name is in records of the Miami-area clinic alleged to have distributed performance-enhancing drugs to a rash of baseball players, and Major League Baseball will investigate the link to the former MVP who tested positive for illegal synthetic testosterone during the 2011 postseason.
Three of the Biogenesis clinic records obtained by Yahoo! Sports show Braun's name. Unlike the players named by the Miami New Times in its report that blew open the Biogenesis case, Braun's name is not listed next to any specific PEDs.

MLB is investigating the Biogenesis clinic and its operator, Anthony Bosch, to determine the breadth of Bosch's alleged PED dispersal throughout the sport. The league could pursue punishment through non-analytical positives evidentiary links to players without positive tests and one source said it will not limit the potential discipline to those whose names are surfacing for the first time, meaning those who have faced suspensions in the past could again be tried.
Braun is on a list that includes Alex Rodriguez, Melky Cabrera and Cesar Carrillo, who the New Times reported received PEDs from Bosch. Also on the list are New York Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli and Baltimore Orioles third baseman Danny Valencia, who weren't listed near PEDs either. The record matches a document the New Times posted with Braun's name redacted and Cervelli and Valencia's cut off.
Representatives for Braun, Cervelli and Valencia did not return multiple phone messages left by Yahoo! Sports.

At least two other documents in the trove given to the New Times by a former Biogenesis employee mention Braun. In one, his name is on a line, with "RB 20-30K" on the next. Bosch listed the amount of money owed by other players in similar notation, though the numbers were usually lower.

Later in the document are multiple mentions of Chris Lyons, one of Braun's attorneys during the 2011-12 offseason when he fought a positive drug test. While Braun never contested the findings of the test, which found elevated testosterone levels in his urine, a 50-game suspension was overturned after chain-of-custody issues arose from the test-taker keeping the specimen in his basement over the weekend instead of immediately shipping it to a testing lab. Braun denied use of testosterone publicly.
When reached by Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday evening, Lyons declined comment.

The early portion of MLB's investigation has focused on the web of connections to the University of Miami, where Braun attended college. Carrillo, a pitcher in the Detroit Tigers organization, was Braun's road roommate for three years. Jimmy Goins, a strength-and-conditioning coach at the school and alleged client of Bosch's, worked with Braun during his three years at Miami. Goins has denied a connection to Bosch.

At least two others implicated by the New Times Washington Nationals pitcher Gio Gonzalez and San Diego Padres catcher Yasmani Grandal have worked with Goins. Grandal, Cabrera and Bartolo Colon, all listed in Bosch's records, were suspended by MLB after testing positive for testosterone this season. MLB is considering pursuing further discipline against them, particularly if the league can acquire records that tie players to PEDs on different dates than their positive tests.

Two league officials met with New Times editors in Miami on Monday hopeful the newspaper would turn over the documents, which would aid an investigation and potential arbitration hearings if the league were to pursue suspensions. While the newspaper did not give the records to MLB, it is still considering doing so, according to two sources.
The third record is a letter from Bosch that appears to be to Juan Nunez, a former runner for the ACES sports agency that represents Cabrera, Cruz and Gonzalez. Though undated, it congratulates "Juan" on "the MVP award" a possible reference to Cabrera's All-Star Game MVP and continues: "This smells like the 'Braun' advantage."
Braun's name does not appear in the document on the New Times' website.

The players as well as Bosch issued blanket denials in the aftermath of the New Times report. Rodriguez said in a statement he was never treated by Bosch and "(t)he purported documents referenced in the story at least as they relate to Alex Rodriguez are not legitimate." Rodriguez also denied an ESPN.com report that Bosch had personally injected him.
In a statement, Gonzalez said: "I've never met or spoken with Tony Bosch or used any substances provided by him." Attorneys representing Cruz said: "To the extent these allegations and inferences refer to Nelson, they are denied."
Bosch's attorney said the New Times story was "filled with inaccuracies, innuendo and misstatements of fact."
Braun has eight years and more than $130 million remaining on his current contract. He finished second in NL MVP voting last season after hitting a league-leading 41 home runs.

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66741 posts
Tue Feb-05-13 09:34 PM

43. "Best post of the year"
In response to Reply # 41

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

HecticHavoc
Member since May 13th 2005
7591 posts
Tue Feb-05-13 10:33 PM

45. "i was gonna go with 'Thank God It Snowed', but that works too"

-----------------------------------------

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Feb-06-13 09:08 AM

52. "LOL"

Perfect

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Ceej
66741 posts
Tue Feb-05-13 09:34 PM

44. "Fed-Ex can't help him now"

RaFromQueens
Member since Apr 18th 2006
19528 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 09:02 PM

40. "I was one of the last ARod defending Yankee fans left."
In response to Reply # 0

I think I'm through now.

---
"People that need positivity around them all the time are weak individuals in my book" - @lilduval

Ceej
66741 posts
Tue Feb-05-13 09:33 PM

42. ": )"
In response to Reply # 0

Ink_Spot
Member since Mar 26th 2004
2948 posts
Tue Feb-05-13 11:44 PM

46. "Errrrbody doing it.....why do we act surprised? ..lets play ball"
In response to Reply # 0

the deeper we dig, the sport will be more tarnished if we think people are playing pure and shit.....they are all on someone's list. Depends on which doctors or labs we catch first. personally, i miss '98. All this got fucked up when white folks wanted to take down Bonds and Sosa. I could have been watching someone try to break 80 homers a year. *sighs*

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43352 posts
Tue Feb-05-13 11:51 PM

47. "Why dont Japanese players use PEDs?"
In response to Reply # 0

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Wed Feb-06-13 08:20 AM

51. "Can I be 'cist and say "honor"?"
In response to Reply # 47

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20758 posts
Wed Feb-06-13 07:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
48. "Braun has been named too"
In response to Reply # 0

----------------------

Ceej
66741 posts
Wed Feb-06-13 07:42 AM

49. "Lol"
In response to Reply # 48

Dstl1
Charter member
56224 posts
Wed Feb-06-13 08:15 AM

50. "lol"
In response to Reply # 49

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2121535 Previous topic | Next topic