Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2120357

Subject: "So Floyd isn't fighting Canelo next apparently.Maybe Guerrero?" Previous topic | Next topic
southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Sun Jan-27-13 03:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"So Floyd isn't fighting Canelo next apparently.Maybe Guerrero?"

Canelo's been walking around saying he's going to fight Trout next and see Floyd in september
don't have a problem with that really. Canelo's resume is mad lean and it'll be nice to see him fight someone that just performed on a high level on a big stage
I could see Trout outboxing Canelo for 12 rounds and not getting a decision for obvious reasons but it should still be a good test for Canelo before a potential Mayweather fight

anyway last week Floyd came out saying that a bout with Guerrero was just a rumor
i assume in response to a lukewarm reaction from fans once they found out
Schafer gave a statement that suggests it may still be guerrero. and really since Floyd can only fight GBP fighters i'm not sure who else it COULD be at this point?

----
Internet buzz has made Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero the lone candidate for the big money opponent slot against boxing cash cow, Floyd Mayweather on May 4 in Las Vegas. Mayweather, however, has stepped forward to clarify that a Guerrero bout is not as much of a done deal as has been reported.
The controversial five-division world champ and pound-for-pound top dog took to his official Facebook account Wednesday afternoon to issue the following brief, but clear statement:
"As of right now I don't know who I'm fighting on May 4th. Me fighting Robert Guerrero is just a rumor."
Literally minutes later, Golden Boy Promotions CEO, Richard Schaefer, made his own statement to Rick Reeno of Boxingscene.com, declaring that Mayweather's opponent had been selected and that an announcement would be made as soon as all of the contractual formalities had been signed and sealed.
"We had conference calls with our lawyers yesterday and today," Schaefer said. "All parties who are participating have agreed, and now the attorneys are working on the contracts...drafts are circulating. We hope that we are able to announce something by the end of this week or early next week. The contracts are being finalized and obviously I don't want to go and announce something without signed contracts. An announcement is imminent."
Regardless of Mayweather's statement, Guerrero has to remain the frontrunner for the May 4 date after his dominant unanimous decision victory over former welterweight champ, Andre Berto, last November. Looking at the available talent within the 147-154 lb. weight range, the Guerrero match-up is also the one that makes the most sense at the moment. Other qualified Golden Boy-friendly talent is either tied up with other plans or sorely lacking in marketability for such a high-profile fight.
Richard Schaefer's statement gives the appearance of being damage control following the Mayweather declaration as well as an effort to subtly put Mayweather back in line when it comes to signing on to the "right" fight for his company.
The fact that Schaefer is commenting at all is a solid sign that Mayweather will be facing a Golden Boy fighter on May 4. Despite the fact that Mayweather has exclusively handled his business through Golden Boy for the last six years, he is not legally bound to the promotional company in any way and could've taken his business elsewhere. Apparently, whether Guerrero is next or not, one of Golden Boy's fighters appears to be on deck once again..
Given that Saul Alvarez has pretty much gone on record as saying that a clash with Mayweather will happen in September, the only viable alternative is Guerrero, unless something unforeseen happens and Mayweather completely flips the script on everybody.
The backstage maneuverings of the boxing world are always interesting, but impossible to completely sort out based solely on what's leaked to the media. The public rarely gets the full truth when it comes to the exclusive world of closed door business dealings. This particular situation may be a case where nobody learns the actual truth of what happened and why.
All we know is that Mayweather felt the need to make his statement directly to the public while Schaefer apparently felt the need to go directly to the media in response. Of course, the timing could all be a coincidence, but that would be unlikely.
As it stands now, though, Mayweather will be fighting someone on May 4 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The opponent that makes the most sense is Robert Guerrero, but according to Mayweather, nothing is beyond the rumor stage. Golden Boy, on the other hand, is saying that everything has been sorted out and that an announcement is coming very soon.

-------
WBC junior middleweight champion, Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (41-0-1, 30 KOs) has suffered through some rough criticism in recent months just as he's beginning to develop into the world class fighter he was always thought to be. But, hand in hand with some of his most dominant performances is the fact that the 22-year-old titlist, already five defenses into his reign, has not picked up the level of his opposition.
This may change after his May 4 undercard appearance on the Floyd Mayweather pay-per-view. According to rumors, apparently confirmed by Alvarez, himself, the young champion will be taking on WBA junior middleweight titlist, Austin Trout (26-0, 14 KOs), in a champion vs. champion clash.
"Austin Trout is the only opponent ," Alvarez told Rene Umanzor of the Latin American publication, The Record. "No one else is on the list or anything like that, and it's almost certainly going to be against him. I'm just waiting to confirm that we have signed against the two , and I'll be ready."
Alvarez was set to remedy his perceived easy road to stardom last year, when his team selected Paul Williams as an opponent for a September 15 date in Las Vegas. Williams, however, would suffer a career-ending injury in a motorcycle accident. Replacement, James Kirkland, would then walk away over money issues and again leave the young champion with no high-profile opponent. Victor Ortiz was pegged next for the opponent role, only to be, literally, knocked out of the slot by underdog tune-up, Josesito Lopez.
Canelo would move on to face Lopez, crushing him as expected, but continue to take punishment from the critics, who ridiculed his pummeling of the smaller, less-talented blue collar battler.
The plan for 2013 was to arrange for a bout with Miguel Cotto, who had suffered a defeat to Floyd Mayweather in May of 2012, but accounted well for himself in the unanimous decision loss. The Puerto Rican three-division champ would be the perfect foe for Alvarez-- a big-name veteran on the downside of a long career, but good enough to put up a nice effort. All Cotto had to do was beat WBA titlist, Austin Trout in December-- something he, ultimately, couldn't do.
With the Cotto loss, Golden Boy's plans for Canelo had once again been upset and the effort began anew to find a suitable showcase opponent for their young cash cow. Trout, despite beating the man who was pegged to challenge the man, was not in anyone's immediate plans and Golden Boy was not shy in letting the world know that they would be looking elsewhere for the right replacement for Cotto, opposite Alvarez.
But, apparently, at some point between the Cotto loss and the last couple of weeks, the public relations mess that would've come from skipping over Trout became too much to simply cast aside. Barring some strange last-minute maneuvering, it looks as though the Las Cruces, New Mexico native, who owns a 2011 victory over Alvarez's brother, Rigoberto, will be Canelo's opponent under the bright lights of the MGM Grand.
Alvarez-Trout is a scary match-up to Golden Boy for many reasons. The undefeated Trout is smart, crafty, disciplined, and at the top of his career. Recent wins over Cotto and Delvin Rodriguez affirm that the well-schooled southpaw is no fringe contender disguised as a paper champion. If Alvarez is to win, he'll have to show some finesse and timing to go along with his steamroll mentality. He'll have to show some skills that he's never had to show before, at least not at this level.
From there, it's on to Floyd Mayweather and the biggest of all big ticket showcases. But nobody should be surprised if Trout flips the script and comes out on top.
Critics be damned, this will be a real fight on May 4. If Trout is the opponent and Canelo manages to beat him, the kid has certainly earned his place among the sport's real champ

~~~~~~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'd be really surprised if he fights Canelo any time soon...
Jan 27th 2013
naw the Golden Boy jobber roster is lean as fuck right now
Jan 27th 2013
Lol @ ducking
Jan 27th 2013
      naw he couldn't sustain PPV #s if he ducked canelo
Jan 27th 2013
           I honestly think these Guerrero rumors are only perpetuated by Robert
Jan 27th 2013
                zero fans asked for the Ortiz fight, so that doesn't really matter
Jan 27th 2013
                     the only fights Floyd has ever had that the fans were clamoring for
Jan 27th 2013
RE: So Floyd isn't fighting Canelo next apparently.Maybe Guerrero?
Jan 27th 2013
RE: So Floyd isn't fighting Canelo next apparently.Maybe Guerrero?
Jan 27th 2013
I thought this pretty much common knowledge. He's going where
Jan 27th 2013
The word is Guerrero is fighting Quillin in April......
Jan 28th 2013
RE: The word is Guerrero is fighting Quillin in April......
Jan 28th 2013

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41996 posts
Sun Jan-27-13 03:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'd be really surprised if he fights Canelo any time soon..."
In response to Reply # 0

I just have a feeling he's gonna duck this kid...just not sure what excuse he'll come up with this time to justify it.

southphillyman
90059 posts
Sun Jan-27-13 03:36 PM

2. "naw the Golden Boy jobber roster is lean as fuck right now"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun Jan-27-13 03:41 PM by southphillyman

he might have no choice but to fight canelo
all the other alternatives are either too small (garcia, khan), top rank fighters or more dangerous (serg)
and if u think about it canelo fighting Trout first makes a lot of sense for both sides
GBP gets to see what they have in Canelo, if he looks completely lost against Trout maybe they hold off on giving him to floyd
and floyd saw Trout beat cotto worse then he did, so if trout goes in there and gets destroyed by canelo maybe he thinks twice himself

~~~~~~

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66722 posts
Sun Jan-27-13 04:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Lol @ ducking"
In response to Reply # 1

U guys r such haters

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

southphillyman
90059 posts
Sun Jan-27-13 04:29 PM

5. "naw he couldn't sustain PPV #s if he ducked canelo"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun Jan-27-13 04:29 PM by southphillyman

the interesting fights just aren't out there
GBP putting mayweather and canelo on the same card every time they fight now is smart
cause iono how many ppl would be interested in a mayweather/guerrero ppv by itself (guerrero doesn't really have a mexican following)
and it allows them to repeatedly hype up canelo to the casual audience
but eventually they are going to have to fight

~~~~~~

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66722 posts
Sun Jan-27-13 04:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I honestly think these Guerrero rumors are only perpetuated by Robert"
In response to Reply # 5

There is zero a fan looking for that ass whoopin

Floyd will fight Canelo, and no matter when it goes down it will not be a negative for Floyd

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

southphillyman
90059 posts
Sun Jan-27-13 04:38 PM

7. "zero fans asked for the Ortiz fight, so that doesn't really matter"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun Jan-27-13 04:40 PM by southphillyman

it might not be guerrero next (i hope not) but if it isn't i'm not sure who it would be
i wouldn't be mad if GBP just switched Trout to fight Floyd and gave Canelo Angulo or Kirkland or something like that

~~~~~~

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41996 posts
Sun Jan-27-13 05:19 PM

9. "the only fights Floyd has ever had that the fans were clamoring for"
In response to Reply # 7

happened years after the fans were clamoring for it..

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Sun Jan-27-13 04:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: So Floyd isn't fighting Canelo next apparently.Maybe Guerrero?"
In response to Reply # 0

----------------------------

Young Broadway Star Urgently Needs a Bone Marrow Donor. Is it you? http://MatchShannon.com/

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

Poorspellir
Member since Oct 26th 2011
1911 posts
Sun Jan-27-13 05:19 PM

8. "RE: So Floyd isn't fighting Canelo next apparently.Maybe Guerrero?"
In response to Reply # 0

Alvarez/Trout is pretty solid undercard, a great test for both guys.

Not sure there's anyone out there clamoring for Mayweather/Guerrero. A Martinez fight makes all the sense in the world here, given the current lack of big names in the GBP camp.

Schaefer better stack the undercard.

El_essence
Charter member
24899 posts
Sun Jan-27-13 11:22 PM

10. "I thought this pretty much common knowledge. He's going where "
In response to Reply # 0

the money is. He sees RG as the tuneup and Canelo as the money.

BLACK_ADAM
Member since Mar 21st 2006
4791 posts
Mon Jan-28-13 12:25 PM

11. "The word is Guerrero is fighting Quillin in April......"
In response to Reply # 0

n/m.

Poorspellir
Member since Oct 26th 2011
1911 posts
Mon Jan-28-13 12:29 PM

12. "RE: The word is Guerrero is fighting Quillin in April......"
In response to Reply # 11
Mon Jan-28-13 12:32 PM by Poorspellir

I think you mean Fernando Guerrero, not Robert.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2120357 Previous topic | Next topic