Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2119621

Subject: "Bron, the Thinking Man, Ethers Ball Hoggery and Its Leading Practionner" Previous topic | Next topic
bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 12:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Bron, the Thinking Man, Ethers Ball Hoggery and Its Leading Practionner"
Fri Jan-25-13 12:47 PM by bshelly

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/lebron-james-dwyane-wade-compete-efficiency-stats-sly-145018924--nba.html

Professional basketball players are often competitive to pathological levels, and not just toward opponents. Teammates can challenge each other, too, even as they strive toward the same goal of winning a game, making the playoffs, and taking on all comers to earn a title. Sometimes they just need to fight each other to see who can score the most points, or grab the most rebounds, or get the most invitations to fancy parties held by national magazines.

The basketball world now places less emphasis on pure counting stats, though, and that's changed the nature of this sort of competition. It's now not enough just to score more points than a teammate, because someone who gets 30 points on 25 shots hasn't really played as well as someone who gets 20 points on 12 shots. Efficiency matters.

Proving the point, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade recently revealed that they compete against each other to see who can shoot 50 percent from the field. From Ethan Skolnick for The Palm Beach Post (via EOB):
“It’s like a competition me and D-Wade are having right now about who can shoot 50 percent, in each and every game,” James said, when asked a couple of days later. “I had no idea, because I don’t know what’s going on throughout the game as far as stats. I came in after the game, I saw 9-for-19 and I missed that last long three, I felt I could have gotten into the lane and got a layup. I’ve got to make up for it.”

“Early in my career, I didn’t take every shot as seriously as I do now, to be more efficient,” James said. “It comes with age, it comes with experience. You know, when you’re an 18 year old rookie, or a 21-year-old, third year in the league, you can get away with a lot of mistakes, and not looking at numbers as much. But as I’ve gotten older, I’ve been more efficient, taking care of the ball. I value possessions more.”

He also values competition, and he’s been in one with Wade. Wade is also shooting the highest percentage of his career, at 50.6, a fact that Erik Spoelstra noted Thursday while asserting that if Wade was shooting as much as he once did, he could still average 28 points. “We’re both so conscious of wanting to shoot 50 percent, that sometimes you wish you had that Kobe (Bryant) thought, where you just don’t care,” Wade said. “We talk about it all the time. It sucks at times, but it’s who we are.”

I don't know if Kobe is going to take kindly to the suggestion that he doesn't care about his shooting percentages, but it's certainly true that James and Wade seem to have a better sense of what constitutes a good shot then their superstar compatriot in Los Angeles. As Skolnick notes, that's borne out by the stats — James is at 55 percent, Wade is at 51.2 percent, and both players have made more than half their field goal attempts in the majority of this season's games. It's a definite focus of their approach.

Wade claims that the importance of intelligent shooting was instilled in him early on as a pro by Heat assistant Bob McAdoo, but this year stands to become only the second time that he's shot 50 percent or better in a season. It's clear that, as he ages and quality-of-shot metrics become more sophisticated, he's learning more about what constitutes a good shot for him and the Heat. He's not quite like LeBron, who's on such an otherworldly basketball plane right now that he can get most any shot he wants.

This new understanding of a quality shot is, at the very least, a refinement of ideas we've intuited for a while. But the competition between Wade and James is as old-school as it gets. Think of this situation as yet another effective melding of the fresh and the familiar.

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.ā€¯ (c) The God

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
can't be mad at this...they right
Jan 25th 2013
somehow, i sense people will be mad anyway
Jan 25th 2013
damn i love this nigga..no homo
Jan 25th 2013
lol it gets better and better...
Jan 25th 2013
yeah you WISH you had the Mamba gene motherfucker
Jan 25th 2013
Wade doing anything he can to keep hanging around Kang
Jan 25th 2013
don't lose focus. he's helping here.
Jan 25th 2013
you're right n/m
Jan 25th 2013
RE: Wade doing anything he can to keep hanging around Kang
Jan 25th 2013
      oh please, don't start with this bullshit. let's both move on
Jan 25th 2013
           RE: oh please, don't start with this bullshit. let's both move on
Jan 25th 2013
                was talkin more the 'won a title before Bron' thing, we know why on that
Jan 25th 2013
                     RE: was talkin more the 'won a title before Bron' thing, we know why on ...
Jan 25th 2013
kobe staying at the arena after Ls tho
Jan 25th 2013
guess he's putting in a lot of late nights this year, then
Jan 25th 2013
no teammates that he needs to pass to
Jan 25th 2013
Calling teammates at 3 AM to offer "help"
Jan 25th 2013
      no answered calls at 3am = no passes
Jan 25th 2013
Jan 25th 2013
here
Jan 25th 2013
in the All-Star game, non?
Jan 25th 2013
RE: Bron, the Thinking Man, Ethers Ball Hoggery and Its Leading Praction...
Jan 25th 2013
Jan 25th 2013
Jan 25th 2013
Bron's jab is subtle and refined, like his game
Jan 25th 2013
this ain't no enriched uranium, Lebronon just got a full delivery system
Jan 25th 2013
btw do we need a 2nd thread for how a guy who never went to college...
Jan 25th 2013
Age limit is a player's union issue though
Jan 25th 2013
Don't forget the JUCO route. You can get drafted any year.
Jan 25th 2013
I think Kobe's smarter than Lebron, no question.
Jan 25th 2013
i knew something was up
Jan 25th 2013
letting somebody else fuck up their FG% on a buzzer beater huh
Jan 25th 2013
bron has been refining his game every yr he's been in the league
Jan 25th 2013
Yuck
Jan 25th 2013
5>>>>>>>>>>>1, btw, I thought Lebronon wanted to trade Wade?
Jan 25th 2013
Them dudes late...rondo been doing this.
Jan 25th 2013
I'm so happy right now
Jan 25th 2013
Lol, in such a hurry to post, you didn't even read who mentioned Kobe
Jan 25th 2013
Completely agree. Efficiency is what basketball IQ is all about imo
Jan 25th 2013

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 12:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "can't be mad at this...they right"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jan-25-13 12:51 PM by Basaglia

edit: by the way...not every superstar has to wait until they almost 30 to know what a good shot is.

durant knows at 24

kyrie knows at 20

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 12:49 PM

2. "somehow, i sense people will be mad anyway"
In response to Reply # 1

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.ā€¯ (c) The God

all stah
Member since Sep 03rd 2005
23470 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 12:52 PM

3. "damn i love this nigga..no homo"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jan-25-13 01:00 PM by all stah

you wish you had that Kobe (Bryant) thought, where you just don’t care,” Wade said.

lol

ether all up in kobe's face

rl9
Charter member
4494 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 12:52 PM

4. "lol it gets better and better..."
In response to Reply # 0

hey kobe would avg 15 assts a game if dwight wasn't turning his back all the time when kobe jumps in the air for a pass.

''i went from bashful to asshole to international''- CdoubleO

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 12:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "yeah you WISH you had the Mamba gene motherfucker"
In response to Reply # 0

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 12:53 PM

6. "Wade doing anything he can to keep hanging around Kang"
In response to Reply # 0

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 12:55 PM

7. "don't lose focus. he's helping here."
In response to Reply # 6

----
bshelly

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 12:57 PM

9. "you're right n/m"
In response to Reply # 7

all stah
23470 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 12:58 PM

13. "RE: Wade doing anything he can to keep hanging around Kang"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri Jan-25-13 12:58 PM by all stah

o-o

the wade who won a title before king?...wade who played great defense in the playoffs last year??

the one who is shooting 50 percent from the field right now?

wade who has always been more all around than kobe?

the best blocking sg off all timme

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 01:05 PM

19. "oh please, don't start with this bullshit. let's both move on"
In response to Reply # 13

>
>the wade who won a title before king?

all stah
23470 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 01:07 PM

21. "RE: oh please, don't start with this bullshit. let's both move on"
In response to Reply # 19

no, son

wade second best sg off all time ...stats don't lie!

peace.

you just dont like dwyane wade

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 01:52 PM

28. "was talkin more the 'won a title before Bron' thing, we know why on that"
In response to Reply # 21

all stah
23470 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 01:56 PM

29. "RE: was talkin more the 'won a title before Bron' thing, we know why on ..."
In response to Reply # 28

gotta dribble drive to get fouls , son

lol

rl9
Charter member
4494 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 12:57 PM

8. "kobe staying at the arena after Ls tho"
In response to Reply # 0

taking extra jumpers for the media to see him make close to 50% lol.

dat work ethic.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts

10. "guess he's putting in a lot of late nights this year, then"
In response to Reply # 8

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1261843/

----
bshelly

rl9
Charter member
4494 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 01:01 PM

14. "no teammates that he needs to pass to"
In response to Reply # 10

no need to throw anybody under the bus.
just him and the ball.
and the media.

> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1261843/

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 01:03 PM

16. "Calling teammates at 3 AM to offer "help""
In response to Reply # 8

Good spin...could be seen as sabotage.

rl9
Charter member
4494 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 01:06 PM

20. "no answered calls at 3am = no passes"
In response to Reply # 16

>Good spin...could be seen as sabotage.

seriously, calls at 3am? dude is a movie lol.

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts

11. ""
In response to Reply # 0

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 01:04 PM

17. "here"
In response to Reply # 11

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr02/2012/12/6/15/anigif_enhanced-buzz-9411-1354824796-8.gif

celery77
Member since Aug 04th 2005
25307 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 01:13 PM

23. "in the All-Star game, non?"
In response to Reply # 11

HOPE!
https://vine.co/v/i7JjIBL3Qix
https://vine.co/v/i7JtqEFwxDu

kwemos
Member since Mar 05th 2005
748 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "RE: Bron, the Thinking Man, Ethers Ball Hoggery and Its Leading Praction..."
In response to Reply # 0

LeBron didn't mention Kobe. It should read Bron, the Thinking Man, Ethers Ball Hoggery, and his Nut Kicking Friend takes a shot at its Leading Practitioner

all stah
23470 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 01:02 PM

15. "RE: Bron, the Thinking Man, Ethers Ball Hoggery and Its Leading Praction..."
In response to Reply # 12
Fri Jan-25-13 01:04 PM by all stah

jordan
wade
west
kobe
drexler

in that order....

kwemos
Member since Mar 05th 2005
748 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 01:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "RE: Bron, the Thinking Man, Ethers Ball Hoggery and Its Leading Praction..."
In response to Reply # 15

Doesn't change the title being misleading. I thought we were getting a LeBron quote on Kobe. Not Wade. I don't care how you rank them.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 01:16 PM

24. "Bron's jab is subtle and refined, like his game"
In response to Reply # 12

----
bshelly

celery77
25307 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 01:13 PM

22. "this ain't no enriched uranium, Lebronon just got a full delivery system"
In response to Reply # 0

was Kobestani "intelligence" even aware? shouldn't their delegate in the UNBA be doing *something* about this? can't blame it all on the Italians and Spaniards, at some point Kobestanis are going to have to adapt to survive themselves.

HOPE!

celery77
25307 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 01:21 PM

25. "btw do we need a 2nd thread for how a guy who never went to college..."
In response to Reply # 0

turned out so smart?

jesus christ that NCAA age limit thing is such fucking bullshit and just further corrupt arrogance on "their" part. anyone who actually supports that shit is "living like mental slaves" (c) Kweli + Mos Def

YOU DON'T NEED COLLEGE TO BE AMAZING AT BASKETBALL, THERE IS LITERALLY ZERO EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY

HOPE!

MothershipConnection
Member since Nov 22nd 2003
7498 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 03:54 PM

32. "Age limit is a player's union issue though"
In response to Reply # 25

NCAA has no say in that.

Personally I've always thought the only sport to get it right is baseball - you can get drafted out of high school, but if you don't sign you have to stay at least three years (or until your 21st birthday, whichever is first). I'd probably do two years in basketball... I'd also like to see the D-league become a real minor league but if you're just outside of making an NBA roster cut, the money is almost always better overseas.

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 08:53 PM

35. "Don't forget the JUCO route. You can get drafted any year."
In response to Reply # 32

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make Money: http://jamesjenkins.acnrep.com
Save Money: http://jamesjenkins.acndirect.com

BSharp
Charter member
9243 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 09:49 PM

36. "I think Kobe's smarter than Lebron, no question."
In response to Reply # 25

Usage of Advanced analytics does not equal smarter. It's a tool, nothing else.

Lebron is EASILY a better basketball player than Kobe. I don't think he's smarter than him by any other metric. lol

Guinness
Charter member
26270 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 01:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
26. "i knew something was up"
In response to Reply # 0

early in the season, i saw bron intentionally turn down two halfcourt flings at the end of quarters. one he just didn't take and the other he passed it off.

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 01:31 PM

27. "letting somebody else fuck up their FG% on a buzzer beater huh"
In response to Reply # 26

and this is the unselfish guy?

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 02:19 PM

30. "bron has been refining his game every yr he's been in the league"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jan-25-13 02:20 PM by southphillyman

nothing really exciting there
the main thing i got from this article is the positive influence lebron has had on wade's career
the way this dude is just a model athlete is kind of amazing
he sent Durant home from the finals in 5 games
what does Durant do? he reaches out to him immediately and goes to work out with him in order to learn from Lebron real quick before the Olympics.
neither he or the media talks about it much, but the level of Lebron's leadership is exceptional
ppl need to appreciate how special an athlete this dude really is

~~~~~~

ChuckNeal
Member since Feb 03rd 2004
5458 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 02:31 PM

31. "Yuck"
In response to Reply # 30

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 04:01 PM

33. "5>>>>>>>>>>>1, btw, I thought Lebronon wanted to trade Wade?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 04:02 PM

34. "Them dudes late...rondo been doing this."
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicksā€™ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

RaFromQueens
Member since Apr 18th 2006
19528 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 09:58 PM

37. "I'm so happy right now"
In response to Reply # 0

---
"People that need positivity around them all the time are weak individuals in my book" - @lilduval

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 10:21 PM

38. "Lol, in such a hurry to post, you didn't even read who mentioned Kobe"
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 10:24 PM

39. "Completely agree. Efficiency is what basketball IQ is all about imo"
In response to Reply # 0

In every aspect of the game. How can we take advantage of our strengths to get the best shot possible and then take away the opponents strengths to force them into the least likely to convert attempt.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2119621 Previous topic | Next topic