Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2114038

Subject: "can some of yall school me on basketball metrics" Previous topic | Next topic
astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 04:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"can some of yall school me on basketball metrics"

i'm mostly a lurker here, but Hoop my favorite sport by far, and it seems more and more, especially for instance over at Grantland, metrics come up in articles when describing teams and players.

one, is there a particular site some of yall go to get numbers/stats?

two, do you find metrics more valuable than traditional stats? how so?

and three, do believe in the future, metric stats will be as normal as ppg, asp, rpg, fg%, ft%, etc.?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: can some of yall school me on basketball metrics
Jan 17th 2013
the only site I think you need to know ---> basketball-reference.com
Jan 17th 2013
82games.com has some stuff reference lacks
Jan 17th 2013
82games is sometimes vague and strangely organized
Jan 17th 2013
Synergy sports if you want another level
Jan 17th 2013
hoopdata has pretty much the same stuff as bball reference
Jan 17th 2013
thanks folk
Jan 17th 2013

SsenepoD
Member since Nov 13th 2007
4331 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 05:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: can some of yall school me on basketball metrics"
In response to Reply # 0

ESPN's already started keeping track of players' +/- (points their team scores while they're in - points their team gives up while they're in) in their box score. they also show Hollinger's PER # that he came up with.

while I think these #s are just as helpful as traditional stats since they're just a good way of quantifying the available data, as with any stats it can be easy to forget they don't happen in a vacuum.

i.e., I think they're good for determining which group of players tend to play well together (when you look at a 5 man +/-) but it doesn't take into account things like the level of competition they're in against.

i.e., the Clippers bench has a really good +/- but it doesn't mean they're the best lineup since you have to figure in that they're playing against bench players.

http://www.2amDonuts.bandcamp.com

celery77
Member since Aug 04th 2005
25307 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 05:52 PM

2. "the only site I think you need to know ---> basketball-reference.com"
In response to Reply # 0

but maybe some other people can correct me on that. I think it's where most of the stat nerds here go to pull their #s. it's pretty comprehensive and if there are other sites with more info my guess is you'd have to pay.

aside from that if you want specific explanations you'd have to ask more specific questions. there's not really consensus, even among the advanced metric supporters, as to the true value of each individual stat. some like some more than others, some think others are hokum (like I think PER is tells you basically nothing about basketball and to be honest I don't really understand how it's derived, but for some reason they put that on nba.com now) so really you gotta figure out for yourself what gives you insight into the game and what doesn't.

HOPE!
https://vine.co/v/i7JjIBL3Qix
https://vine.co/v/i7JtqEFwxDu

thejerseytornado
Member since Dec 24th 2005
26424 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 06:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "82games.com has some stuff reference lacks"
In response to Reply # 2

but basketball reference is the easiest/best 99% of the time.
-----------
It's only funny till someone gets mad. Then it's hilarious.

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 06:38 PM

4. "82games is sometimes vague and strangely organized"
In response to Reply # 3

so its a tough place to start

but the lineup stuff can be interesting

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43352 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 07:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Synergy sports if you want another level"
In response to Reply # 2

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 08:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "hoopdata has pretty much the same stuff as bball reference"
In response to Reply # 2

but with an occasional article. @HoopData is also a pretty good twitter follow if you have one

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 08:19 PM

6. "thanks folk"
In response to Reply # 0

will check the recommendations

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2114038 Previous topic | Next topic