Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2112782

Subject: "Sixer Fans: A Question" Previous topic | Next topic
RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 12:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Sixer Fans: A Question"

I SHOULD talk a gang of shit showing y'all how terrible y'all have been, but I'll get shots in here and there

The question for reals is: What now?
Asking that because it's looking like Bynum is a lost cause at least until next year. You have a potential all-star guard in The Damaja, surrounded by pieces that might or might not fit, either due to lack of skill, or inconsistency.

So what now? Take this year as a wash? Make a move? (If so, for who)? Hope for Bynum's return? Fire Collins? (which might happen, given what's happened so far in the league...3 coaches gone in 2 months).

Honest question is what's the next move? What is Philly missing to get back in the playoff picture?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
why would this year be anything but a wash & why would we fire Collins?
Jan 16th 2013
everyone is scared as shit of philly this year (c) some idiot
Jan 16th 2013
The Bynum move was a roll of the dice from the beginning
Jan 16th 2013
Right now, just wait. Hopefully Bynum comes back this year
Jan 16th 2013
You should gloat about an average team getting worse bc of injury?
Jan 16th 2013
RE: You should gloat about an average team getting worse bc of injury?
Jan 16th 2013
      RE: You should gloat about an average team getting worse bc of injury?
Jan 16th 2013
Honestly...
Jan 16th 2013
nothing has changed.
Jan 16th 2013
yeah i mean really i have to credit collins, whom i never liked that muc...
Jan 16th 2013
Don't give a flying shitafuck actually
Jan 16th 2013
I dont see Bynum coming back for 35 games as a bad thing.
Jan 17th 2013

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 01:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "why would this year be anything but a wash & why would we fire Collins?"
In response to Reply # 0

Collins is a good coach, this roster is just suspect & missing the piece they were attempting to build around.

No point in making any panic moves, Damaja has developed into a real piece & we have a ton of salary/roster flexibility moving forward.

We'll see if Drew ever shows up & go from there.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59167 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 01:07 PM

2. "everyone is scared as shit of philly this year (c) some idiot"
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 01:08 PM

3. "The Bynum move was a roll of the dice from the beginning"
In response to Reply # 0

best case scenario

he balled out and resigned

worst case scenario

he walks in FA and we free up an enormous amount of cap space for the FA market in the offseason

so to answer you question directly

this year looks like a wash

and we will probably throw alot of money somebody's way in the offseason

who, IDK (haven't really taken a look at who will be a FA)

I just hope they don't overpay for another name that underperforms

the Collins situation is strange

he had issues from the day he got here

shipped Dalembert immediately

and the message seemed to be received by the players

but some of the quotes Iggy made, seemed like Collins wasn't thrilled with him either

he benched Turner for 2 years

benched Hawes for the 2nd half of last year and the entirety of this year

IMO, he has personal issues with some of the players because they don't put in the effort he thinks he did as a player

even if the apparent lack of effort would mean more Ws

he'd rather send a message

I'm sure ownership will do something being that they seemed to regain interest last season from the fanbase

and are on the verge of being tuned out with the return of hockey

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

icecold21
Member since Jan 18th 2008
8433 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 01:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Right now, just wait. Hopefully Bynum comes back this year"
In response to Reply # 0

and we can get a good idea of what he can do. If that doesn't happen, offer him a deal that he can prove himself with and max him out later if everything goes well. If someone else offers the max in the offseason, let him go, fuck it. It was still a good trade either way. Jrue is a piece we can build around, Evan not so much at this point. we gonna have plenty of cap space so there will be options. At this point it's just wait and see.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 03:58 PM

5. "You should gloat about an average team getting worse bc of injury?"
In response to Reply # 0

>I SHOULD talk a gang of shit showing y'all how terrible y'all
>have been, but I'll get shots in here and there

I mean, the Knicks deserved ridicule the same way the Redskins did. The Sixers were just an also ran in the world of ridiculous professional franchises.

>The question for reals is: What now?
>Asking that because it's looking like Bynum is a lost cause at
>least until next year. You have a potential all-star guard in
>The Damaja, surrounded by pieces that might or might not fit,
>either due to lack of skill, or inconsistency.

But he participated in shooting drills! Lol, well we don't know "what now." We finally blew up the sustained mediocrity to take a chance and move forward. Now look what happened. I guess this is a repeat of the Brand fiasco and so many others before it. History says cut ties with Bynum's ass via sign and trade or just let him walk and start scrapping other bad contracts if that works out better. The team has an OK amount of flexibility, outside of Jrue and maybe Thad Young, no one has more than two years on their deal I don't think.

>So what now? Take this year as a wash? Make a move? (If so,
>for who)? Hope for Bynum's return? Fire Collins? (which might
>happen, given what's happened so far in the league...3 coaches
>gone in 2 months).

Collins won't get fired, he couldn't be expected to do much better with this bunch and, more tellingly, he just signed an extension. Teams make fires a lot more easily when it doesnt cost them a big pile of money.

Now, Bynum is still a unique talent and I think the Sixers will re-sign him. As I said above, the pattern dictates a future of injury, woe and regret, but they still seem like they will do it. When healthy, he would be the best center in the East.

>Honest question is what's the next move? What is Philly
>missing to get back in the playoff picture?

I don't give a shit about the playoffs, really. If the team is not going to host a series--which they are obviously not--I'd rather go into the lotto. I think the pick we moved for Moultrie was lotto protected, no?

That's the thing that pisses me off the most. We moved FOUR first rounders this offseason with the russian kid, harkless, the pick for moultrie and yet another future pick (right?). This is getting back to Billy King's way of doing business lol.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 04:07 PM

6. "RE: You should gloat about an average team getting worse bc of injury?"
In response to Reply # 5

>>The question for reals is: What now?
>>Asking that because it's looking like Bynum is a lost cause
>at
>>least until next year. You have a potential all-star guard
>in
>>The Damaja, surrounded by pieces that might or might not
>fit,
>>either due to lack of skill, or inconsistency.
>
>But he participated in shooting drills! Lol, well we don't
>know "what now." We finally blew up the sustained mediocrity
>to take a chance and move forward. Now look what happened. I
>guess this is a repeat of the Brand fiasco and so many others
>before it. History says cut ties with Bynum's ass via sign and
>trade or just let him walk and start scrapping other bad
>contracts if that works out better. The team has an OK amount
>of flexibility, outside of Jrue and maybe Thad Young, no one
>has more than two years on their deal I don't think.
I guess this is the larger point. Are you willing to pass the franchise on Bynum's knees? Or cut bait, take the large $ you'll have in the off-season and build around The Damaja

>>So what now? Take this year as a wash? Make a move? (If so,
>>for who)? Hope for Bynum's return? Fire Collins? (which
>might
>>happen, given what's happened so far in the league...3
>coaches
>>gone in 2 months).
>
>Collins won't get fired, he couldn't be expected to do much
>better with this bunch and, more tellingly, he just signed an
>extension. Teams make fires a lot more easily when it doesnt
>cost them a big pile of money.
I would hope not. Then again, you never know what type of hasty moves a GM is willing to do to get a spark from the team. They were playing reasonably well earlier in the season and then they hit a huge wall. Granted, they don't have the expectations of Avery Johnson in BK or Mike Brown in LA, but Skiles got let go and all they really have are role players and a great backcourt.

>Now, Bynum is still a unique talent and I think the Sixers
>will re-sign him. As I said above, the pattern dictates a
>future of injury, woe and regret, but they still seem like
>they will do it. When healthy, he would be the best center in
>the East.
He CAN be the best center if he plays up to potential. Pains me to say it, but Brook Lopez might be the best offensive center in the East (sigh)
But again, are you willing to roll the dice on him? Because if you lock him in and he can't get back to form, you are royally screwed for basically Damaja's entire Sixer tenure.

>>Honest question is what's the next move? What is Philly
>>missing to get back in the playoff picture?
>
>I don't give a shit about the playoffs, really. If the team is
>not going to host a series--which they are obviously not--I'd
>rather go into the lotto. I think the pick we moved for
>Moultrie was lotto protected, no?
I ask playoffs for 2 reasons
1. They were in the 2nd round last year (albeit by Rose injury)
2. You're not TOO far behind the 8th spot, and it's still January.
I don't think the lottery really gets you the guy you needed. From what is being speculated, there aren't many bonafide studs to draft, but very solid role players. And if that was the case, you gave all that up (including Iggy) in the Bynum deal

>That's the thing that pisses me off the most. We moved FOUR
>first rounders this offseason with the russian kid, harkless,
>the pick for moultrie and yet another future pick (right?).
>This is getting back to Billy King's way of doing business
>lol.
Yeah, Harkless is solid, but Vuvecic is balling...that does sting. And it is eerily similar to the BK way. I don't know off the top of my head if the 1st rounder was still in the deal

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 05:09 PM

9. "RE: You should gloat about an average team getting worse bc of injury?"
In response to Reply # 6

>I guess this is the larger point. Are you willing to pass the
>franchise on Bynum's knees? Or cut bait, take the large $
>you'll have in the off-season and build around The Damaja

Is this a question for me or what I assume to be a grossly incompetent Sixers medical staff and management? I have no idea the condition of Bynum's knees. Judging by the always vague, always moving target for his return, neither do they.

I have been a huge JRue fan from day one, loved that we took him and now Lawson or Teague (who are fine players). I still don't think he is a franchise player. He is a good No. 2 guy. We are making him score too much now and generally depending on him way too heavily, especially at this stage of his career.

I would say that re-signing Bynum would be the most likely outcome. Second most likely, cutting losses with a cheap-ish sign and trade (picks to a team with cap space and/or one year deals) and then restructuring the roster from there. I think some of that depends on how badly things wind up (lotto pick and where?). I don't foresee him walking for nothing or being part of some elaborate sign and trade. If he is good enough for people to seriously want him, he will get kept.

>I would hope not. Then again, you never know what type of
>hasty moves a GM is willing to do to get a spark from the
>team. They were playing reasonably well earlier in the season
>and then they hit a huge wall. Granted, they don't have the
>expectations of Avery Johnson in BK or Mike Brown in LA, but
>Skiles got let go and all they really have are role players
>and a great backcourt.

GMs don't really fire coaches, owners do. Buss sure as shit fired Mike Brown, not Kupchak. I bet the Nyets was a similar situation but I don't really care enough to know. The owners will not fire Collins.

>He CAN be the best center if he plays up to potential. Pains
>me to say it, but Brook Lopez might be the best offensive
>center in the East (sigh)
>But again, are you willing to roll the dice on him? Because if
>you lock him in and he can't get back to form, you are royally
>screwed for basically Damaja's entire Sixer tenure.

I mean again you are asking questions about major unknowns here, bro, not just the health of his knee but also the level of interest of other teams. If there is a lot of interest, he is worth resigning because if push comes to shove you can move him. If not, sign him to a shorter deal that limits liability and makes amnesty a feasible move sooner if things don't work out.

Bottom line, I am not losing sleep over this situation. It will play out how it's going to play out and right now we don't know. Obviously there is a history of the Sixers bungling this EXACT situation and many very similar ones. I can laugh or I can cry about that, I choose to laugh.

>I ask playoffs for 2 reasons
>1. They were in the 2nd round last year (albeit by Rose
>injury)

They were a totally non-competitive team last year and the fact that they were a game away from the ECF is an indictment of the conference and absolutely no credit to their success. They would have lost to the Bulls without Rose if Noah had been healthy, I shit you not. He was eating them raw when he got hurt, total mismatch for Brand, Hawes, Allen, et al. The Celtics just showed they had a chunk bit off them by Atlanta because they should have won the series in five or six games. They played terrible and I was surprised they recovered to push Miami.

So that, to me, could not be less relevant. There was no momentum from that. I was happy to get an infusion of money with four more home playoff games than anyone expected. It was exciting. But there was NOTHING, zero, going forward. If that wasn't true immediately (which it was), it was certainly obvious when the team moved its best player, its leading scorer and numerous pieces to shake things up.

>2. You're not TOO far behind the 8th spot, and it's still
>January.

Like I said, I find that news encouraging. With no Bynum, this season is about individual players. Are guys like Hawes and Allen going to find roles, get consistent and stick long term? Obviously the big things are the development of the starting guards. Jrue is on track, Turner is still kind of up and down. If those guys can prosper and progress, I don't care about the team's record. I would be delusional to think they could do anything significant and in the NBA you're better off doing nothing than doing average IMO. Even with Bynum they were not a contender, but they could have been moving in that direction.

>I don't think the lottery really gets you the guy you needed.
>From what is being speculated, there aren't many bonafide
>studs to draft, but very solid role players. And if that was
>the case, you gave all that up (including Iggy) in the Bynum
>deal

I don't know enough about this upcoming draft to comment. Obviously I know what guys are at the top and I know that in every draft there are a few very good players. I would rather take my chances in the top ten than smack in the middle, no question.

>Yeah, Harkless is solid, but Vuvecic is balling...that does
>sting. And it is eerily similar to the BK way. I don't know
>off the top of my head if the 1st rounder was still in the
>deal

Either way there are not a lot of picks to be had but since the one we moved to Dallas I believe was lotto protected for 2013, then I would like to be in the 2013 lotto even more since it's our last chance to grab talent for a while.

gmltheone
Member since Jun 11th 2003
8564 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 04:18 PM

7. "Honestly..."
In response to Reply # 0

>I SHOULD talk a gang of shit showing y'all how terrible y'all
>have been, but I'll get shots in here and there
>
>The question for reals is: What now?
>Asking that because it's looking like Bynum is a lost cause at
>least until next year. You have a potential all-star guard in
>The Damaja, surrounded by pieces that might or might not fit,
>either due to lack of skill, or inconsistency.
>
>So what now? Take this year as a wash? Make a move? (If so,
>for who)? Hope for Bynum's return? Fire Collins? (which might
>happen, given what's happened so far in the league...3 coaches
>gone in 2 months).
>
>Honest question is what's the next move? What is Philly
>missing to get back in the playoff picture?

This is bigger than getting back to the playoff picture for us. WTF is the point of being first round fodder year after year.

Hence, blowing up the roster. I've been saying it from day one.

This whole season was about figuring out what worked and what fit. The Frederick Shrugness (c) Bomb showed up with bad wheels in camp and it set the team back and exposed a big flaw on this team without him. But no real evals can be made until he comes back so nobody's getting fired and nobody who matters is getting traded right now.

As a fan I'm pissed with how they're playing (especially on D), but this isn't a bad scenario. We could get to see him play his way into shape, see how the team responds, and keep our lottery pick this draft. Then retool and build around an all star center who we'll have a better ideal of his health and how he fits in. And an all-star caliber PG with some financial flexiblilty and no false illusions.

----------------------------
Same as it ever was!

Guinness
Charter member
26270 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 04:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "nothing has changed."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-16-13 04:57 PM by Guinness

until bynum gets on the court, the sixers are in the same position they were two months ago. i didn't think they were going to be much improved--the addition of bynum and the loss of iggy and willz evened out, in my book--so the focus was always on seeing who should stick around going forward.

philly is an awful team whose record is actually better than it should be. they're below average defensively and one of the worst offenses in the NBA (ranked 28th). they don't take enough threes, they're comically bad at getting to the foul line, and they shoot more shitty midrange jumpers than just about any other team.

thad, wright and jrue are the only decent players on the team. everyone else sucks.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 05:10 PM

10. "yeah i mean really i have to credit collins, whom i never liked that muc..."
In response to Reply # 8

he has gotten a lot out of a roster that still has very few shooters, no interior presence of any sort and relies on the dreaded mid range jumper far too much

mtbatol
Member since May 22nd 2002
19788 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 09:17 PM

11. "Don't give a flying shitafuck actually"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-16-13 09:17 PM by mtbatol

I always figured any games he'd give us would be a bonus.

Local sports columnists bit into the fact Bynum was gonna be out way longer then what was first hidden so I'm holding out until March-ish for something.

We got him for 1 year and we can go after Dwight who's a unhappy slappy squirrel with Kobe. So if Bynum just don't wanna play with us without killing the bank.. cool

low2behold
Member since Jan 05th 2006
19165 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 12:45 AM

12. "I dont see Bynum coming back for 35 games as a bad thing."
In response to Reply # 0

The All Star break is right around the corner.

-------------
IG: mike_gx
-------------

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2112782 Previous topic | Next topic