Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2112553

Subject: "Sacre bleu! The Bears pick Marc Trestman of the CFL as head coach!" Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86643 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 02:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Sacre bleu! The Bears pick Marc Trestman of the CFL as head coach!"
Wed Jan-16-13 02:59 AM by Frank Longo

... quoi?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-bears-hire-marc-trestman-20130115,0,7826477.story

The Bears took a swing for the fences by choosing Marc Trestman to be the 14th head coach in team history, an NFL source told the Tribune early Wednesday.

The Bears are expected to announce the hire Wednesday.

Trestman is a somewhat unconventional choice, having been out of the NFL for eight years. But he also is a proven winner, having won back-to-back Grey Cup championships as coach of the Montreal Alouettes in the Canadian Football League. Trestman has a 64-34 record in five years as a head coach.

In addition to having head coaching experience, Trestman is a quarterback guru who has spent most of his professional life coaching passers. Clearly, he is being brought to the Bears to get the most out of Jay Cutler and whoever else lines up under center during his tenure.

Trestman, 57, was Bernie Kosar’s quarterbacks coach at the University of Miami in 1983, when the Hurricanes won the national championship. In the NFL, Kosar, Steve Young, Scott Mitchell, Jake Plummer and Rich Gannon played well under Trestman’s guidance. Gannon won the 2002 Most Valuable Player award while being coached by Trestman on the Raiders.

“The skill set that Marc has, being an offensive mind, and then his great relationships that he's had with quarterbacks historically in the NFL and the work he's done with them makes him a good fit for the job,” Alouettes general manager Jim Popp said.

“A lot of guys want to be head coaches. Some leave the NFL to go to NCAA schools, and then once they've proven themselves, all of a sudden those college coaches are some of the hot commodities to be an NFL coach. It's no different. Coach Trestman has run a professional team as a head coach for five years. He's had a winning record for five years. He's proven himself as a head coach at a professional level. You can call it what you want, but on-hand training as a head coach and proof goes a long way, goes a real long way. You can't replace that.”

Trestman should know what he is getting into with Cutler. As a consultant, he worked with Cutler to prepare him for the 2006 combine. Among other players he worked with before their drafts are Jason Campbell and Tim Tebow.

Trestman’s appointment should not come as a surprise to Fox analyst Jimmy Johnson, who was Trestman’s boss at the University of Miami. Johnson tweeted Jan. 11 that it “looks like” Trestman would be getting the Bears job.

Trestman was one of 13 known candidates to be interviewed for Lovie Smith’s old position and one of at least three who received second interviews. The others were Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell. Eight of the candidates had offensive backgrounds.

Interestingly, Smith nearly hired Trestman in 2004 when he was looking for an offensive coordinator. Instead, Smith settled on Terry Shea, and Trestman became Dave Wannstedt’s quarterbacks coach with the Dolphins.

Trestman also interviewed for the Browns’ head coaching vacancy this month, as well as the Raiders’ offensive coordinator position. Last year, he interviewed for the Colts’ head coaching job.

Trestman is known for a cerebral, measured approach.

“One thing about him that is a strength is his ability to listen,” Gannon said. “He takes feedback. Marc has always been the type of guy who can sit down with you and talk about things. What do you like about this? What don’t you like? His feedback is excellent. And he has an ability to be honest with you. Somebody needs to be honest with Jay Cutler.”

Trestman’s plans for the defense are unknown, but there’s a good chance he will retain coordinator Rod Marinelli and some of the other defensive assistants. Quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates also is a possibility to stay. Trestman previously worked with Bates’ father, Jim.

Trestman played quarterback at the University of Minnesota and Minnesota State-Moorhead. He was with the Vikings for two training camps as a defensive back.

Trestman also graduated from the University of Miami School of Law and has been a member of the Florida bar since 1983. He took a few years away from coaching in the early ‘90s to practice law. He is the author of the book “Perseverance: Life Lessons on Leadership and Teamwork.”

Trestman and his wife, Cindy, have two daughters, Sarahanne and Chloe.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
CANADIAN WHOO-RIDE, EH?
Jan 16th 2013
Emery will either burn for this or rise to immortality
Jan 16th 2013
can't wait till he sends out the punt team on 3rd down
Jan 16th 2013
lol
Jan 16th 2013
zing! nice!
Jan 16th 2013
RE: can't wait till he sends out the punt team on 3rd down
Jan 16th 2013
It'll help Cutler that he is familiar with drawing up plays for 2nd & 15
Jan 16th 2013
I'd laugh if he had a winning season with no 4th downs at all
Jan 16th 2013
I'm more concerned we lost Dave Toub (ST)
Jan 16th 2013
I'm gonna call it now
Jan 16th 2013
Not like he's not familiar with the NFL
Jan 16th 2013
This will happen for sure
Jan 16th 2013
a lot of people in MN were tossing his name around before
Jan 16th 2013
RE: Sacre bleu! The Bears pick Marc Trestman of the CFL as head coach!
Jan 16th 2013
I'm with it we had to try something different
Jan 16th 2013
It's been close to 20 years since he was the 9ers OC
Jan 16th 2013
Tice officially out, Bears hire Kromer
Jan 16th 2013
That Bears fan with the weird pro-Tice agenda must be upset
Jan 16th 2013
there is no such fan
Jan 16th 2013
      it was @stubhubbearsfan83
Jan 16th 2013
           Somebody did
Jan 16th 2013
Yesss!
Jan 16th 2013
you fired a guy that took you to a super bowl for a CFL guy..
Jan 16th 2013
they did.
Jan 16th 2013
fired a guy who has no idea how to run an offense in 2013
Jan 16th 2013
RE: fired a guy who has no idea how to run an offense in 2013
Jan 16th 2013
This.
Jan 16th 2013
word is that Trestman is gonna keep Marinelli
Jan 16th 2013
      RE: word is that Trestman is gonna keep Marinelli
Jan 16th 2013
      smart move
Jan 16th 2013
      RE: smart move
Jan 16th 2013
      Yes that was all I was worried about
Jan 16th 2013
      edit
Jan 17th 2013
This argument is so fucking stupid
Jan 16th 2013
"we're 10-2 with Rex Grossman as our quarterback"
Jan 16th 2013
^^lava
Jan 16th 2013
No a guy that made the playoffs once since 06
Jan 16th 2013
They lost and it was a long time ago
Jan 16th 2013
It's not like he is a nobody, has coached in natl titles and super bowls
Jan 16th 2013
All these lovie apologists are the same people that complained
Jan 16th 2013
shit balls! Marinelli doesn't want to stay!
Jan 17th 2013
Read that he's looking at Dallas.
Jan 17th 2013
That is so funny to read.
Jan 17th 2013
If I were Rod, I would leave too...
Jan 17th 2013

Virgenes Corazon
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
2985 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 03:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "CANADIAN WHOO-RIDE, EH?"
In response to Reply # 0

Avatar: Chikara Pro Wrestling. Born From Oblivion.

New Technology Vs. Horse album, "Sorry That I Knocked You Up" http://technologyvshorse.bandcamp.com/album/sorry-that-i-knocked-you-up

select_from_where
Member since Jan 03rd 2011
4342 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 07:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Emery will either burn for this or rise to immortality"
In response to Reply # 0

It's a risk from a GM perspective, I hope he knows what he's doing

KosherSam
Member since Mar 18th 2004
70132 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 09:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "can't wait till he sends out the punt team on 3rd down"
In response to Reply # 0

*Jews you*

"this is okp tho, reading is completely optional" (c) desus

Proceed with caution. I am overtly racist.

<-- In Pigpen we trust

guru0509
Charter member
45302 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 10:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "lol"
In response to Reply # 3

muzuabo
Member since Dec 03rd 2009
2064 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 12:26 PM

27. "zing! nice!"
In response to Reply # 3

MarkyMark
Member since Dec 04th 2009
760 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 12:36 PM

28. "RE: can't wait till he sends out the punt team on 3rd down"
In response to Reply # 3

Well at least we know what team will lead the league in 12-men-on-the-field penalites next season.

KosherSam
Member since Mar 18th 2004
70132 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 01:09 PM

33. "It'll help Cutler that he is familiar with drawing up plays for 2nd & 15"
In response to Reply # 28

*Jews you*

"this is okp tho, reading is completely optional" (c) desus

Proceed with caution. I am overtly racist.

<-- In Pigpen we trust

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 08:25 PM

39. "I'd laugh if he had a winning season with no 4th downs at all"
In response to Reply # 3

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36958 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 09:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I'm more concerned we lost Dave Toub (ST)"
In response to Reply # 0

He left for Kansas City.

https://digife.com

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 09:23 AM

5. "I'm gonna call it now"
In response to Reply # 0

Good hire, will probably set off a trend of looking at CFL coaches that won't succeed.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 10:26 AM

7. "Not like he's not familiar with the NFL"
In response to Reply # 5

And word is that Cutler was really in favor of the hire.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make Money: http://jamesjenkins.acnrep.com
Save Money: http://jamesjenkins.acndirect.com

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66722 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 10:26 AM

8. "This will happen for sure"
In response to Reply # 5

> will probably set off a trend of looking at CFL
>coaches that won't succeed.

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

pdafunk
Charter member
5445 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 11:22 AM

12. "a lot of people in MN were tossing his name around before"
In response to Reply # 5

the vikes went with frazier, i believe. it'll be interesting to see how he does.

------
"I can't promise I'll try. But I'll try to try."

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 10:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "RE: Sacre bleu! The Bears pick Marc Trestman of the CFL as head coach!"
In response to Reply # 0

I'll give it a chance...We have to start looking forward on offensive...

But Trestman should def. keep the defensive coach we have now...Take a page out of the Steelers' book...

But all of this is meaningless if the Bears brass doesn't get the right pieces to help run a new imaginative offense...Offensive Linemen are needed...A real Tight End is needed...And a no. 2 guy to pair with Marshall is needed....

But the OL is the most important move after the new coach hire....

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

JAESCOTT777
Member since Feb 18th 2006
28487 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 10:31 AM

10. "I'm with it we had to try something different "
In response to Reply # 0

All this recycling coaches shit is old

He's an offensive guy and got really good production
Out of avg qbs

I just hope he keeps rod

OldPro
Member since Dec 10th 2002
34401 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 11:14 AM

11. "It's been close to 20 years since he was the 9ers OC"
In response to Reply # 0

and I still hate this dude

good luck Bear fans

J_Sun
Charter member
33508 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 11:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Tice officially out, Bears hire Kromer"
In response to Reply # 0

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4682062/source-bears-hire-kromer-as-oc

Source: Bears hire Kromer as OC
January, 16, 2013

AP Photo/Bob Leverone
Former New Orleans interim head coach Aaron Kromer was Marc Trestman's first move as Bears coach.
CHICAGO -- The Chicago Bears moved swiftly to begin filling out their coaching staff under new head coach Marc Trestman by reaching an agreement with Aaron Kromer to serve as the team’s offensive coordinator/offensive line coach, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Kromer has been with the New Orleans Saints since 2008 where he handled the running backs for one season before shifting over to coach the offensive line. Kromer was the Saints’ interim head coach for the first six games of the 2012 season with Sean Payton suspended for the entire year and Joe Vitt unavailable for the opening six games. New Orleans went 2-4 with Kromer at the helm.

The working relationship between Kromer and Trestman dates back to 2001 when two men were both on the staff of the Oakland Raiders. Trestman arrived in Oakland as the quarterbacks coach that year before being promoted to offensive coordinator the following season when the Raiders reached the Super Bowl. Trestman left Oakland after the 2003 campaign. Kromer spent 2001-04 with the Raiders where he coached the offensive line his final three years with the organization.

Kromer also had a stint with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and worked collegiately at Northwestern University and Miami University.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sometimes I contemplate moving to a warmer place, then the lake and skyline give me a warm embrace" © Common

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 11:48 AM

14. "That Bears fan with the weird pro-Tice agenda must be upset"
In response to Reply # 13

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

RandomFact
Member since Dec 10th 2005
8710 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 11:51 AM

17. "there is no such fan"
In response to Reply # 14

at least there better not be

Ceej
66722 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 11:54 AM

19. "it was @stubhubbearsfan83"
In response to Reply # 17

he was pissed

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 12:00 PM

21. "Somebody did"
In response to Reply # 19

We'll say it was FromTheGo or allstah, because probably.

------

JAESCOTT777
28487 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 12:53 PM

31. "Yesss!"
In response to Reply # 13

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41996 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 11:48 AM

15. "you fired a guy that took you to a super bowl for a CFL guy.."
In response to Reply # 0

Ceej
66722 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 11:50 AM

16. "they did."
In response to Reply # 15

RandomFact
8710 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 11:52 AM

18. "fired a guy who has no idea how to run an offense in 2013"
Wed Jan-16-13 11:53 AM by RandomFact

i wish we could hire lovie back as our defensive coordinator, though.

murph71
23113 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 11:56 AM

20. "RE: fired a guy who has no idea how to run an offense in 2013"
In response to Reply # 18

>i wish we could hire lovie back as our defensive coordinator,
>though.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And Lovie is my boy....

But running in place on offense is no longer cool...

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36958 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 12:05 PM

22. "This."

He's not getting any HC jobs.
Plus the players will run through walls for him.

I doubt it'll happen though.

J_Sun
Charter member
33508 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 12:16 PM

25. "word is that Trestman is gonna keep Marinelli "

I'm cool with that. Assuming he gets buy in from the vets as HC, you keep the continuity on D and revamp the offense. Should be a win-win in theory.

"Sometimes I contemplate moving to a warmer place, then the lake and skyline give me a warm embrace" © Common

murph71
23113 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 12:19 PM

26. "RE: word is that Trestman is gonna keep Marinelli "
In response to Reply # 25

>I'm cool with that. Assuming he gets buy in from the vets as
>HC, you keep the continuity on D and revamp the offense.
>Should be a win-win in theory.

This is the smart move...It makes sense...

RandomFact
8710 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 12:49 PM

29. "smart move"

you keep the same system in place as long as the defense is anchored by Urlacher & Briggs.

murph71
23113 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 12:54 PM

32. "RE: smart move"
In response to Reply # 29

>you keep the same system in place as long as the defense is
>anchored by Urlacher & Briggs.

Gotta get younger on D, though...Briggs has been able to keep up...Lac? Not so much...

We got to get younger at Lac's position...

JAESCOTT777
28487 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 12:52 PM

30. "Yes that was all I was worried about "

Ceej
66722 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 12:35 PM

41. "edit"
Thu Jan-17-13 12:44 PM by Ceej

u got it

select_from_where
4342 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 12:05 PM

23. "This argument is so fucking stupid"
Wed Jan-16-13 12:06 PM by select_from_where

So are we supposed to just be forever grateful to this dude and continue to spin our wheels?

Virgenes Corazon
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
2985 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 12:06 PM

24. ""we're 10-2 with Rex Grossman as our quarterback""

Lovie needs to tattoo that on his forehead backward.

Avatar: Chikara Pro Wrestling. Born From Oblivion.

New Technology Vs. Horse album, "Sorry That I Knocked You Up" http://technologyvshorse.bandcamp.com/album/sorry-that-i-knocked-you-up

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 01:23 PM

34. "^^lava"

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

JAESCOTT777
28487 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 03:05 PM

35. "No a guy that made the playoffs once since 06 "

lost to Green Bay 8 of the last 9 times
And had an offense that been in the bottom 10th % the
Past 3 years

Fohwtbs

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 03:16 PM

37. "They lost and it was a long time ago"

What are you going to say the same thing about the Eagles? Oh, you fired the most successful coach in franchise history for a college guy?

The franchises needed to move on. They didn't want to make some stale as fuck hire of a proven loser. I like both moves.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 03:14 PM

36. "It's not like he is a nobody, has coached in natl titles and super bowls"
In response to Reply # 0

Plus had a ton of success in Canada.

One of my buddies up there knows him, said he was looking at NFL jobs but I figured like a quarterbacks coach or OC gig.

I hope it goes well. I like out of the box hires. So many times they fire one guy and just hire a re-tread just like him. This makes two first-time NFL head coaches in one day.

That said, the last few I have pulled for didn't really work out. I am looking at you, Raheem Morris!

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

select_from_where
4342 posts
Wed Jan-16-13 05:59 PM

38. "All these lovie apologists are the same people that complained"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-16-13 06:00 PM by select_from_where

Ya'll have to understand the type of organization the bears are

historic, full of cronies,

lovie had a DEEPLY entrenched staff, you see how quick mofo's are gone now?

Bears assistant coaches were all about keeping a job, lovie was the only one on the hot seat, and this dude had ownership in his back pocket.

SIX YEARS of incremental changes,

Something doesnt work, blame the assistant coaches fire assistant coaches, hire new assistant coaches, rinse and repeat.

It's a TERRIBLE culture of blame-game.

which changed nothing.

cat's gotta understand that change is necessary.

J_Sun
Charter member
33508 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 12:34 PM

40. "shit balls! Marinelli doesn't want to stay!"
In response to Reply # 0

Trestman just said it at his press conference.... I do NOT like this at ALL.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36958 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 12:41 PM

42. "Read that he's looking at Dallas."
In response to Reply # 40

Marinelli leaving is not good.

Ceej
66722 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 12:44 PM

43. "That is so funny to read. "
In response to Reply # 42

>Marinelli leaving is not good.

FromTheGo
Member since Feb 04th 2003
10606 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 12:50 PM

44. "If I were Rod, I would leave too..."
In response to Reply # 40

Fuck you mean keep me after firing the guy who put me in a great position to redeem myself.

Rod would be looked at as the savior for the D under the new regime and he would be the INSTANT scapegoat if this Trestman shit fails.

Leave and take your talents elsewhere, and if Dallas does get him, cool...

...next year after Garrett is fired, Lovie and Urlacher and Hester can come to Dallas and plug in and play and make the NFC East that much more interesting.

Sucks for the Bears, but if they want to move on, they will HAVE to move on now completely

Emery, the floor is yours

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††
http://s17.postimg.org/6r7bfqpnz/kyrieglass.jpg - They Call Him Mr. Glass

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2112553 Previous topic | Next topic