Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2111437

Subject: "somebody ate Melo's honey nut cheerios, he ain't eating no more" Previous topic | Next topic
melmag
Charter member
18469 posts
Mon Jan-14-13 12:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"somebody ate Melo's honey nut cheerios, he ain't eating no more"
Mon Jan-14-13 12:45 PM by melmag

so this cat gets paid a 100 million to fast during the season?. I know Hakeem did it often. But in Melo's case, its affecting his game.. WTF did he turn Muslim anyway?

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/13/carmelo-anthony-says-he-has-been-fasting-past-15-days/

Carmelo Anthony says he has been fasting past 15 days

Kurt Helin

Jan 13, 2013, 5:02 PM EST
30 Comments
Carmelo Anthony AP

Carmelo Anthony has been getting off to slow starts the past few games, including Sunday when he started 1-of-10 from the floor against the Hornets. He got going after that, had 18 second quarter points and finished with 27, but this was the latest in a string of slow starts.

Why the slow starts? Anthony hasn’t been eating. Literally.

He admitted to being on a 15-day fast and that it was hard for him to feel energized during games. Here are the quotes from Adam Zagoria of Zags Blog:

“I usually do it to get some clarity in my life and spiritual reasons,” Anthony said after going for 27 points and seven boards as the Knicks snapped a three-game losing streak with a 100-87 win over the New Orleans Hornets. “But I’m done now….

“It’s a long story, man,” he said of his fast. “I haven’t had a good meal in about two and a half weeks. No meats, no carbs, anything like that. So I don’t know how I was out there competing at high level. It’s been some games this past week where your body just feels depleted out there and you’re trying to find a way to get some energy.

“But I surrender, I’m done. I’m going to get some food right now.”

Half of New York is willing to take him over to Sal’s and Carmine’s and buy him a slice or two right now.

Deadspin notes this is not the first time, Anthony did this for a stretch with the Nuggets a couple years back, and his play suffered then, too. That time Anthony followed the Daniel Fast, based on a portion of the book of the Bible (said fast allows fruits and vegetables, but no meat or carbs of any kind).

I don ‘t want to get in the way of ‘Melo’s personal search for clarity and his spiritual beliefs, but what professional athlete thinks not eating during the season — when you are playing games, practicing, getting in extra workouts plus the drain of traveling — is a good idea?

That is why there is an off-season. I know some Muslim players fast during the daylight hours during Ramadan, but those players can eat in the evening. This was apparently more than that.

So many good restaurants in New York, I know you’ve got to be healthy Carmelo but it’s time to go out to dinner.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
LOL like January games matter.
Jan 14th 2013

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18750 posts
Mon Jan-14-13 01:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "LOL like January games matter."
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2111437 Previous topic | Next topic