Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2105341

Subject: "Question for OKS dads" Previous topic | Next topic
El_essence
Charter member
24899 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 05:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Question for OKS dads"

So I got 3 kids. An 8 year old daughter, a 4 year old daughter and 2 year old son. I don't think I'll have a problem getting my son to do sports. That boy is crazy. But my girls...man...I'm trying to get them interested in doing something without being "that dad" who is hella overbearing. My 8 year old will usually try something. But she loses interest in it. My 4 year old girl is probably the most naturally athletic out of the 3. But she's afraid to try anything if it's dealing with new kids or people she doesn't know.

Any suggestions?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
keep them away from gymnastics and dance...
Jan 07th 2013
why no gymnastics?
Jan 07th 2013
http://youtu.be/xc8GNG9Ng3M
Jan 07th 2013
      I could watch that shit all day
Jan 07th 2013
      *bookmarks for later*
Jan 07th 2013
      now that was good
Jan 07th 2013
      8:08 is some fantastic camera work
Jan 08th 2013
lol she did ballet for a year then didn't want to do it after we had to
Jan 07th 2013
Kids are usually into whatever their friends are into
Jan 07th 2013
aka move into the hood
Jan 07th 2013
true. good point nm
Jan 07th 2013
sometimes little things spark kids in a big way
Jan 07th 2013
Try soccer.
Jan 07th 2013
they are so young, just dont press it or it will turn them off
Jan 07th 2013
lol @ kids having an opinion or choice on shit.
Jan 07th 2013
I'm crying at this reply...hahaha @ the Bin household
Jan 07th 2013
Well at 8 years old, feel you. My daughter has to follow through with
Jan 08th 2013
it's all about exposure
Jan 08th 2013
Thanks for this. The boys are easier to expose them to shit. My oldest
Jan 08th 2013
      personally I think 4 is a little early anyway for organized sports
Jan 08th 2013
           i think the earlier the better
Jan 08th 2013
           5 or 6 is usually the entry level age for most organized youth sports...
Jan 08th 2013
           probably is for my daughter. But out of the 3, she's the most naturally
Jan 08th 2013
Get your youngest into softball
Jan 08th 2013

FromTheGo
Member since Feb 04th 2003
10606 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 05:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "keep them away from gymnastics and dance..."
In response to Reply # 0

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††
http://s17.postimg.org/6r7bfqpnz/kyrieglass.jpg - They Call Him Mr. Glass

3xKrazy
Charter member
21581 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 05:55 PM

2. "why no gymnastics?"
In response to Reply # 1

talk about a great way to build athleticism, strength, mobility, flexibility in what can be a really fun and challenging environment...

FromTheGo
Member since Feb 04th 2003
10606 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 05:59 PM

3. "http://youtu.be/xc8GNG9Ng3M"
In response to Reply # 2

http://youtu.be/xc8GNG9Ng3M

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††
http://s17.postimg.org/6r7bfqpnz/kyrieglass.jpg - They Call Him Mr. Glass

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 06:11 PM

4. "I could watch that shit all day"
In response to Reply # 3

KCPlayer21
Charter member
30076 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 06:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "*bookmarks for later*"
In response to Reply # 3

<---- Downtown Kansas City, Missouri 5/24/2011

3xKrazy
Charter member
21581 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 07:21 PM

12. "now that was good"
In response to Reply # 3

but id prob pin that on the parenting rather than sport selection

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 12:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "8:08 is some fantastic camera work"
In response to Reply # 3

El_essence
Charter member
24899 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 06:32 PM

8. "lol she did ballet for a year then didn't want to do it after we had to "
In response to Reply # 1

leave a party where she was hanging out with her cousins. I'm glad she quit that though. that shit was expensive as fuck.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 06:12 PM

5. "Kids are usually into whatever their friends are into"
In response to Reply # 0

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 06:13 PM

6. "aka move into the hood"
In response to Reply # 5

there is bound to be a pickup game somewhere around the parks

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

El_essence
Charter member
24899 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 06:31 PM

7. "true. good point nm"
In response to Reply # 5

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 07:01 PM

10. "sometimes little things spark kids in a big way"
In response to Reply # 0

My son saw the karate kid one time and said he wanted to do karate. That was 3 years ago. Now he's 5 months away from earning his black belt. He'll be 9 in July. After that, he wants to keep going and eventually earn a spot on the leadership team then teach. He also is going to start playing basketball later this year since my wife refuses to let him play basketball. He wants to do that because I took him to the playoffs last year so he could see Rondo.

My daughter wants to play basketball. She's almost 12. I don't know where that came from but she's like in her own lane as it is. She's a drummer and loves it. She's a regular little Questlove when it comes to her music knowledge. It's always funny when someone asks her about her favorite artists and she goes so deep into every genre that people are like WTF? She's a trip but I keep encouraging her to be as musical as she wants. She's in the studio with the drummer from Arrested Development this coming weekend while she learns some new stuff. Kids man. Don't worry, little moments out of nowhere will have the biggest impacts on them.

ne_atl
Charter member
18873 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 07:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "Try soccer."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jan-07-13 07:10 PM by ne_atl

As much as dislike the sport and swore I would never put my son (4, check avi) in it, he exceled at it. First practice he cried because he didn't know anyone, first game he cried because someone kicked him but by the 3rd game he was one of the best out there. We had 3 girls on the team who all turned out well.

In my house, bottom line....quitting is not an option

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 07:24 PM

13. "they are so young, just dont press it or it will turn them off"
In response to Reply # 0

before the age of six or seven, i was like fuuuuuuuuuuuck sports. we used to go to rams games when my mom was pregnant with me, that was about the extent of my interest/experience for the next six plus years.

i played three sports in high school plus another club one and obviously have maintained a *bit* of an interest in them since.

for girls there is a whole other set of obstacles. their peers may or may not be into it, who knows how they see it, etc.

just make sure they are active and if they want to get into sports they will. there is no need to start them off at a super young age, in fact i dont think that's a particularly good idea.

you can also ease them into things. teach them how to ice skate or rollerblade. keep them moving and eventually they will find sports. if they get to be doughy little fucks or spoiled princesses, that's when you might lose the potential lol

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 07:42 PM

14. "lol @ kids having an opinion or choice on shit."
In response to Reply # 0

mine are in sports, dance, etc

they initially claim to dislike it

guess how much i care

you'll do it, you'll try HARD to be good @ it...& then once you really involved THEN we will see

cant get their asses to not go to practice/games/recital now

do or die

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 07:47 PM

15. "I'm crying at this reply...hahaha @ the Bin household"
In response to Reply # 14

>mine are in sports, dance, etc
>
>they initially claim to dislike it
>
>guess how much i care
>
>you'll do it, you'll try HARD to be good @ it...& then once
>you really involved THEN we will see
>
>cant get their asses to not go to practice/games/recital now

I'm willing to bet that you're all bark no bite though

El_essence
Charter member
24899 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 12:04 PM

17. "Well at 8 years old, feel you. My daughter has to follow through with "
In response to Reply # 14

her shit for at least a year or the duration of the camp. But my 4 year old? I'm not going to put her in shit and watch her stand around fucking off my money lol. I'll wait another year before that.

Beamer6178
Member since Jan 09th 2006
6379 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 12:26 AM

16. "it's all about exposure"
In response to Reply # 0

>So I got 3 kids. An 8 year old daughter, a 4 year old
>daughter and 2 year old son. I don't think I'll have a problem
>getting my son to do sports. That boy is crazy. But my
>girls...man...I'm trying to get them interested in doing
>something without being "that dad" who is hella overbearing.
>My 8 year old will usually try something. But she loses
>interest in it. My 4 year old girl is probably the most
>naturally athletic out of the 3. But she's afraid to try
>anything if it's dealing with new kids or people she doesn't
>know.
>
>Any suggestions?

i got two boys 2 and 5, the big one has great enthusiasm, the younger copies what he sees and is showing more natural athletic ability but it's a non issue.

i can use the experiences of friends who have daughters. my son's teeball coach put his daughter in as well. she didn't like being around all those kids (was in a home daycare up to that point) but wasn't bad at it when she tried. sometimes she'd come up to bat, would hit, then walk to the bleachers to sit down without even running to first. this season, her dad said she's really looking forward to it. she also had a crush on my son who was very nice to her and made an impression but that's another story for another post and a problem i'll have to deal with in half a decade.

another friend has a boy and girl who were in basketball camp wiith my son. the boy loved basketball, his younger sister was there but really didn't give a shit. she'd lay on the ball, go off on her own. i suggested to the dad in a gentle way that maybe she just wasn't interested. he ended up not enrolling her for later classes and started to realize that she participated in activities differently when she wasn't with her brother. point in all this is expose them to as much as possible; they'll find their lane eventually, then when they really latch onto what THEY love, you can back them in it.

but like bin said, fuck if you let THEM tell you what THEY're not gonna do at that age.

El_essence
Charter member
24899 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 12:07 PM

18. "Thanks for this. The boys are easier to expose them to shit. My oldest"
In response to Reply # 16

has no problem at least trying something. My 4 year old is the one who will flat out do nothing if she ain't feeling it and fuck with my money. I can't have that. lol

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 12:39 PM

20. "personally I think 4 is a little early anyway for organized sports"
In response to Reply # 18

Beamer6178
Member since Jan 09th 2006
6379 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 12:58 PM

21. "i think the earlier the better"
In response to Reply # 20

>
the sooner you can start to get the mental aspect down the better. the muscles and improved body control will come. plus it's more about teaching them to work with others and to make being active a part of life at an early age.

i think it's vastly superior to parents who hold their kids back academically so they'll do better in sports. that shit aggravates me.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 01:03 PM

22. "5 or 6 is usually the entry level age for most organized youth sports..."
In response to Reply # 21

anyway and that extra year or 2 makes a HUGE difference

El_essence
Charter member
24899 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 01:10 PM

23. "probably is for my daughter. But out of the 3, she's the most naturally"
In response to Reply # 20

athletic one. Of course my son is only 2. But when she's around the house or in a place where she feels comfortable, the girl is jumping off shit, somersaulting, running, all types of shit. The only thing keeping her from doing sports is doing it in front of a bunch of people she doesn't know.

OldPro
Member since Dec 10th 2002
34401 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 04:37 PM

24. "Get your youngest into softball"
In response to Reply # 0

When she turns 5 she can play tee ball... in my experience most the kids who sign up can't play a lick so she won't be coming into something behind the curve. At that age it's more about socialization and juice boxes after the game than it is competition. It's a great way to ease into whatever sport she may chose down the line.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2105341 Previous topic | Next topic