Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2103632

Subject: "Dwight on difference between Clips and Lakers: "They Share The Ball"" Previous topic | Next topic
Melanism
Charter member
20449 posts
Sat Jan-05-13 01:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Dwight on difference between Clips and Lakers: "They Share The Ball""

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400278208

"Look at the difference between our team and theirs," Howard said. "They just play together. They share the ball. Everybody's excited when something happens. We have to be like that to be a great team."

Sowhatchusayin?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
But he scored 81 points!
Jan 05th 2013
no, they play defense.
Jan 05th 2013
those two things can go together, to a point
Jan 05th 2013
It really is that simple.
Jan 05th 2013
RE: It really is that simple.
Jan 05th 2013
      Valid how?
Jan 05th 2013
           RE: Valid how?
Jan 05th 2013
*kickwaves*
Jan 05th 2013
Aha!
Jan 05th 2013
LOL
Jan 05th 2013
(Laker fan response)
Jan 05th 2013
d12 is so goddamn stupid.
Jan 05th 2013
Oh this is rich
Jan 05th 2013
hmmm....
Jan 05th 2013
...yeah, he gone next year, lol
Jan 06th 2013
damn HE TALKING ABOUT KOBE
Jan 06th 2013
it just shows how great of a coach Phil was...
Jan 06th 2013
Exhibit A: Why Phil Jackson produced championship teams...
Jan 06th 2013
its also an example of why d'antoni is terrible
Jan 06th 2013
This is real high school of the players and the media
Jan 06th 2013
Soooooo...where is Duhwight going next year???
Jan 06th 2013
I thought the consensus was Houston nm
Jan 06th 2013
just saying the obvious meanwhile tho dude looks old out there
Jan 06th 2013
very true
Jan 06th 2013
Him and horford gonna be a juicy backcourt lol
Jan 06th 2013
hahahahahaha
Jan 06th 2013
The Bulls don't want any part of his soft smiling ass
Jan 06th 2013
I bet Dallas players send Dwight texts after every loss saying..,
Jan 06th 2013
he wont even take a paycut, he will do S+T if he leaves
Jan 06th 2013
man all these dudes need to stop feeding the beast, shut up & play
Jan 06th 2013
I see your continuing Bomb Jinx. I appreciate the consistency.
Jan 07th 2013
I present you Kobe Byrant, people
Jan 06th 2013
I know none of y'all niggas have watched more than 2 laker games
Jan 06th 2013
OF COURSE i'm watching lakers games. shit is fun.
Jan 06th 2013
lol
Jan 07th 2013
He's just frustrated but no. Individual and team D is the difference
Jan 06th 2013
Fam, you know better than to introduce facts into this shit
Jan 07th 2013
Because defence and team chemistry are completely seperate
Jan 07th 2013
      as are offense and defense
Jan 07th 2013
Dwight needs to let Kobe know he's slammable one good time
Jan 07th 2013
lol
Jan 07th 2013

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Sat Jan-05-13 01:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "But he scored 81 points!"
In response to Reply # 0

---

But hell, what do I know?

Guinness
Charter member
26270 posts
Sat Jan-05-13 01:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "no, they play defense."
In response to Reply # 0

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18627 posts
Sat Jan-05-13 01:31 PM

3. "those two things can go together, to a point"
In response to Reply # 2

Good ball movement and offensive balance and keeping everyone involved can lead to better effort and communication on the defensive end.

Simply sharing the ball doesn't magically turn a bad defensive team or player into a good one, but it can help a bit.

Kajun
Member since Jan 11th 2008
1007 posts
Sat Jan-05-13 01:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "It really is that simple."
In response to Reply # 2

But let Laker fans tell it...

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Sat Jan-05-13 01:37 PM

6. "RE: It really is that simple."
In response to Reply # 4

>But let Laker fans tell it...

Actually...Both r valid issues...

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Kajun
Member since Jan 11th 2008
1007 posts
Sat Jan-05-13 01:51 PM

8. "Valid how? "
In response to Reply # 6

Dwight complaining about not getting the ball enough might be a personal issue, which in turn might affect his individual play, but the Lakers' offense (or mythical lack of ball movement) as a whole is definitely not the issue. Their mediocre to poor defense is why they are a middle of the road team right now. Dwight is a defensive minded player, so he likley assumes that defense is not the issue. He is also an idiot, so there is that.

Their offense has been very good, but please feel free to show me otherwise.

The Clippers meanwhile have a top 3 defense in the league to combine with their equally effective offense. Hence they are a better team. This isn't rocket science.

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Sat Jan-05-13 02:09 PM

10. "RE: Valid how? "
In response to Reply # 8
Sat Jan-05-13 02:27 PM by murph71

>Dwight complaining about not getting the ball enough might be
>a personal issue, which in turn might affect his individual
>play, but the Lakers' offense (or mythical lack of ball
>movement) as a whole is definitely not the issue. Their
>mediocre to poor defense is why they are a middle of the road
>team right now. Dwight is a defensive minded player, so he
>likley assumes that defense is not the issue. He is also an
>idiot, so there is that.

That's not what I'm getting at...

"Both valid" meaning that their lack of sharing the ball and lack of defense can be the issue...

I've seen this movie before...A team with a few aging stars attempt to play 3 ball with a lot of hero ball thrown in from their franchise player...The Knicks do the same thing...But they have an actual defensive mindset to fall back on because Woodson actually preaches defensive responsibility...

The Lakers have no issues scoring over 100 points a game...The issue is HOW they score those points...

>Their offense has been very good, but please feel free to show
>me otherwise.
>
>The Clippers meanwhile have a top 3 defense in the league to
>combine with their equally effective offense. Hence they are a
>better team. This isn't rocket science.

Their offense has been fool's gold...

I think Bill Simmons and Jalen Rose (and Magic) said it pretty much straight-no-chaser...

The Lakers scoring is predicated on the 3 ball...And when that 3 doesn't go in the other team is off to the races on a fast break...And we know what happens after that because, after all, this is a D'antoni coached team (ie--no defense)...

That's the issue, here...Bad coaching game plan mixed with a lackluster defense on the perimeter...Slowing the whole thing down from time to time (aka, sharing the ball) would help the Lakers win some more games...

As stated...Both points are vaild...

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

LegacyNS
Member since Jan 16th 2004
38095 posts
Sat Jan-05-13 02:13 PM

11. "*kickwaves*"
In response to Reply # 2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================
Occupy Big Government..

Fannie, Freddie dole out big bonuses
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/67292.html

all stah
Member since Sep 03rd 2005
23470 posts
Sat Jan-05-13 01:34 PM

5. "Aha!"
In response to Reply # 0

the revelation that the wing is causing the plane to tilt coerces one to spit FLAMES

Flaka!

rl9
Charter member
4494 posts
Sat Jan-05-13 01:38 PM

7. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 0

''i went from bashful to asshole to international''- CdoubleO

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Sat Jan-05-13 01:53 PM

9. "(Laker fan response)"
In response to Reply # 0

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Everybody knows that the best way to Attack The Media Status Quo™ is... by posting on a message board!

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Sat Jan-05-13 02:14 PM

12. "d12 is so goddamn stupid. "
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Sat Jan-05-13 02:48 PM

13. "Oh this is rich"
In response to Reply # 0

All coming from a guy who was arguably the worst teammate in the L one year ago

D_Tox151
Member since May 23rd 2002
4893 posts
Sat Jan-05-13 11:59 PM

14. "hmmm...."
In response to Reply # 0

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8817247/dwight-howard-says-los-angeles-lakers-play-each-other

Dwight Howard talks team chemistry

The Forum: Why Are The Lakers Not Playing With Urgency?

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Dwight Howard knows a great team when he sees one. Players cheer for each other on big plays, pick each other up after bad ones and play with a chemistry you can't force. He saw a team such as that Friday night in the Lakers' 107-102 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers.

"Those guys on the Clippers team, they really enjoy each other off the court and it shows," Howard said Saturday after Lakers practice.

And how about the Lakers? Do they have that chemistry?

"It's something we have to do to get better," he said. "We have to play like we like each other. Even if we don't want to be friends off the court, whatever that may be, when we step in between the lines or we step in the locker room or the gym, we have to respect each other and what we bring to the table.

(Chemistry is) something we have to do to get better. We have to play like we like each other. Even if we don't want to be friends off the court, whatever that may be, when we step in between the lines or we step in the locker room or the gym, we have to respect each other and what we bring to the table.

” -- Lakers center Dwight Howard
on team chemistry
"It really starts off the court. I think you have to have that relationship and that chemistry off the court for it to really blossom on the court. It takes time to develop that. You just don't come together and then expect to be best friends right away. It just doesn't happen like that."

The topic came up because of Howard's complimentary comments about the Clippers after Friday's game, and a strange play in which Lakers forward Jordan Hill injured his ankle, rolled around in pain on the ground, but none of his teammates came over to check on him.

Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni said he addressed the play involving Hill with the team at Saturday's practice, but didn't think the Lakers lacked chemistry.

"I think it was a lapse. I don't think it was meant," D'Antoni said of the team's lack of a reaction to Hill's injury. "It's something we addressed and talked about.

"I don't know if anybody has the formula for making the chemistry right. But I know if everyone takes personal responsibility and plays hard, it will work itself out. It's amazing how you quit talking and pointing and rationalizing and playing as hard as you can play. We'll be fine.

"We need to play hard. We need to take accountability, each one of us. 'What's in it for me?' We need to get that out of our vocabulary and wonder what's best for the Lakers."

D'Antoni said if the Lakers' chemistry was lacking, it's simply from lack of time together. For instance, he said the relationship between Howard and point guard Steve Nash on pick and rolls is "not there yet."

"I don't know if it's because of a lack of training camp, or a lack of Steve being with us from the beginning, but the relationship between Steve and Dwight's got to get a lot better," D'Antoni said. "It's not creating the easy shots that we need."

The Lakers' coach also questioned the basic premise that players need to be close off the court to play well together on it.

"I don't know. I played on a lot of teams and I never really hung out with guys all the time," D'Antoni said. "I don't think you have to love each other. But you have to respect each other with what they do on the court."

Whenever a superstar Lakers center starts talking about chemistry, or a lack thereof, the conversation usually turns back to the tumultuous but ultimately wildly successful eight-year run of Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant that resulted in three NBA titles.

When asked to compare the still-developing dynamic between himself and Howard to the run he had with O'Neal, Bryant laughed.

"That was a different dynamic. Shaq and I were a different dynamic," Bryant said. "That type of duo, you're not going to find another duo like that ever. There were other duos that were better than us, (Scottie) Pippen and (Michael) Jordan. But you'll never find a duo with two dominant personalities like myself and Shaquille. That was kind of a once-in-a-lifetime thing."

Looking back on those years, Bryant said he's amazed the peace held as long as it did.

"That just wasn't going to last," he said, laughing. "You have too many alpha males. What do you think would happen if you put Jordan with Wilt? It's just not going to happen."

So can two alpha males ever coexist long enough to win titles?

"We did. We won three straight," Bryant said, referencing the Lakers' three-peat from 2000-02. "One of them has to sacrifice. I sacrificed quite a bit with individual numbers and MVPs and NBA Finals and all this other stuff.

"Phil (Jackson) used to come to us as a team and let me take over in the march to the Finals. Then in the Finals against Eastern Conference teams that had true centers, we went through Shaq. Those are things I was willing to sacrifice. You have to have that sacrifice to make that dynamic work."

Asked again how that compares to the dynamic with Howard, Bryant said: "It's not the same thing. On that team, it was me and Shaq and role players, who were excellent role players. Here, it's me, Dwight, Steve and Pau (Gasol). We play to each other's strengths. Steve is the best facilitating guard. Pau is the best facilitating big man. The ball goes through those guys, and it allows them to make everybody better. It's really that simple."

When told of Bryant's quotes, characterizing himself as sacrificing during the O'Neal era, Howard asked for clarification.

"He took a back seat?" Howard asked. "I was super young, so I really don't remember too much from those championship runs."

Howard was then asked if he thought he had the same kind of alpha male personality as O'Neal.

"You can't look at it as the alpha male. It's basketball. We're not a pack of wolves," Howard said.

"There's different ways to lead a team. Sometimes you have to follow to learn how to lead. I've done an excellent job with guys of being somebody they can all come to if they have a problem.

"But if they're not working the way they need to work, I'm the guy that will tell 'em, 'Hey, you need to get in the weight room or get some extra shots up.' That's where I come in. I don't have to bark about it to you guys (reporters) or to the team."

Howard then explained what his definition of an "alpha male" is.

"If you're an alpha male, you don't have to always show that you're the alpha male," he said. "Just be who you are. You come in the room, people know you're there.

"My presence is felt every day, and I don't have to come here and growl and snarl at people. I don't have to do all that."

Instead, he said he tries to create a happy, enjoyable work environment.

"(My teammates) like when I come in, have fun and enjoy myself. Because they want to have fun and enjoy themselves, too," Howard said. "If they can't do it, it's not a great working environment.

"I don't think you guys would want to come into work with a boss that's always telling you what to do. If you see the boss being at ease and having fun doing it, then you're going to have fun doing that. That's who I am. I've been an alpha male my whole life, but I don't go pissing everywhere to show people that I'm an alpha male. I just need to be who I am."

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Sun Jan-06-13 01:06 AM

17. "...yeah, he gone next year, lol"
In response to Reply # 14

he right like a mufucka though

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Sun Jan-06-13 12:16 PM

19. "damn HE TALKING ABOUT KOBE "

he mad kobe don't invite anyone over for sleep overs lol
personally i don't think kobe owes anything to his teammates off the court
but it probably does effect chemistry

~~~~~~

FromTheGo
Member since Feb 04th 2003
10606 posts
Sun Jan-06-13 12:38 PM

23. "it just shows how great of a coach Phil was..."
In response to Reply # 19

Kobe ran Phil off twice...

Phil and those Zen books helped my Bulls handle their personalities and helped Shaq and Kobe exist.

Kobe will never amount to shit from a team dynamic of he has his way, and he is too knuckleheaded to realize that.

Dwight wants to be coached and wants to be a good teammate and in the era of Bron and Rose and all the more selfless stars, its sad to see his talents wasted

But oh well...

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††
http://s17.postimg.org/6r7bfqpnz/kyrieglass.jpg - They Call Him Mr. Glass

LegacyNS
Member since Jan 16th 2004
38095 posts
Sun Jan-06-13 12:27 PM

20. "Exhibit A: Why Phil Jackson produced championship teams..."

A lot of people can coach... but Phil managed superstars & made them form Voltron... Nope, he did...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================
Occupy Big Government..

Fannie, Freddie dole out big bonuses
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/67292.html

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Sun Jan-06-13 06:01 PM

31. "its also an example of why d'antoni is terrible"
In response to Reply # 20

except on that one team he built but never won with.

his body language has always sucked. he's as capable of being as petulant as anyone in the league and loses himself frequently.

Melanism
Charter member
20449 posts
Sun Jan-06-13 02:43 PM

24. "This is real high school of the players and the media"

Reading these stories of the media asking Dwight something then running to ask Kobe then running back to tell Dwight are really sad.

I just wish they would talk at homeroom and start sitting together in the cafeteria.

CliffDogg
Member since Dec 19th 2004
18078 posts
Sun Jan-06-13 12:02 AM

15. "Soooooo...where is Duhwight going next year???"
In response to Reply # 0

----

THFC
F1
MotoGP

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Sun Jan-06-13 04:27 PM

29. "I thought the consensus was Houston nm"
In response to Reply # 15

---

But hell, what do I know?

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sun Jan-06-13 12:26 AM

16. "just saying the obvious meanwhile tho dude looks old out there"
In response to Reply # 0

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Ill Jux
Member since Jan 19th 2007
14705 posts
Sun Jan-06-13 12:31 PM

22. "very true"
In response to Reply # 16

he's moving like he aged 10 years since last season

______

in the memory of NYC upt JUX�

Szabo
Member since Dec 16th 2007
2429 posts
Sun Jan-06-13 01:24 AM

18. "Him and horford gonna be a juicy backcourt lol"
In response to Reply # 0

FromTheGo
Member since Feb 04th 2003
10606 posts
Sun Jan-06-13 12:27 PM

21. "hahahahahaha"
In response to Reply # 0

hahahahahahahahaha

It will be lovely seeing Dwight take a paycut to leave the Lakers hanging...

Houston
Atlanta
Chicago
San Antonio

Open up those wallets and get creative.

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††
http://s17.postimg.org/6r7bfqpnz/kyrieglass.jpg - They Call Him Mr. Glass

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Sun Jan-06-13 02:51 PM

25. "The Bulls don't want any part of his soft smiling ass"
In response to Reply # 21

The Bulls are in the business of winning at all costs, that goofball shit isn't gonna fly in that locker room.

Melanism
Charter member
20449 posts
Sun Jan-06-13 03:04 PM

26. "I bet Dallas players send Dwight texts after every loss saying..,"

"Mark says Hi"
-------------------
http://blog.melanism.com
http://twitter.com/Melanism
http://seanlovesthis.tumblr.com
http://www.formspring.me/seanathan
http://www.last.fm/user/Melanism
http://www.flickr.com/photos/meldotcom/

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sun Jan-06-13 04:49 PM

30. "he wont even take a paycut, he will do S+T if he leaves"

the lakers would prefer that, too, obviously, in the event that they cannot re-sign him

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sun Jan-06-13 03:11 PM

27. "man all these dudes need to stop feeding the beast, shut up & play"
In response to Reply # 0

I mean I ain't complaining, their misery is music to my ears but for real.

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43737 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 10:44 AM

40. "I see your continuing Bomb Jinx. I appreciate the consistency. "
In response to Reply # 27

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

all stah
Member since Sep 03rd 2005
23470 posts
Sun Jan-06-13 03:58 PM

28. "I present you Kobe Byrant, people"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Jan-06-13 04:02 PM by all stah

"That just wasn't going to last," he said, laughing. "You have too many alpha males. What do you think would happen if you put Jordan with Wilt? It's just not going to happen."

Wilt would have won more chips that is what would have happened..you dumb ass fuck!.....

dude is worse than the THE GAME, he loves dropping names

it's going to be ugly and a sad ending ..I already see it. ..

El_essence
Charter member
24899 posts
Sun Jan-06-13 06:06 PM

32. "I know none of y'all niggas have watched more than 2 laker games"
In response to Reply # 0

this season by these responses lol.

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Sun Jan-06-13 11:47 PM

33. "OF COURSE i'm watching lakers games. shit is fun. "
In response to Reply # 32

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 09:04 AM

38. "lol"
In response to Reply # 32

-------
"..i was born a free man. nobody beat me accept i beat them right back..."

..and miles to go before i sleep...

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Sun Jan-06-13 11:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
34. "He's just frustrated but no. Individual and team D is the difference"
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 12:56 AM

35. "Fam, you know better than to introduce facts into this shit"
In response to Reply # 34

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Everybody knows that the best way to Attack The Media Status Quo™ is... by posting on a message board!

Szabo
Member since Dec 16th 2007
2429 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 08:32 AM

36. "Because defence and team chemistry are completely seperate"
In response to Reply # 34

Derp

D_Tox151
Member since May 23rd 2002
4893 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 12:19 PM

41. "as are offense and defense"
In response to Reply # 36

high TO's and chucking up long jumpers will expose your defensive weaknesses....

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 08:53 AM

37. "Dwight needs to let Kobe know he's slammable one good time "
In response to Reply # 0

But he too nice for that.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

guru0509
Charter member
45342 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 09:06 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
39. "lol"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2103632 Previous topic | Next topic