Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2102502

Subject: "which sport has the toughest college to pro transition??" Previous topic | Next topic
melmag
Charter member
18469 posts
Thu Jan-03-13 11:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"which sport has the toughest college to pro transition??"
Thu Jan-03-13 11:59 AM by melmag

and what positions in particular?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
People always talk about the QB transition in football.
Jan 03rd 2013
It's football
Jan 03rd 2013
Of the 4 major sports its easily baseball
Jan 03rd 2013
true but its kinda that way because there is an actual farm
Jan 03rd 2013
      Just look at the MLB drafts over the years, and compare the success
Jan 03rd 2013
           oh ok, i don't follow college sports too much and especially
Jan 03rd 2013
Probably baseball, because baseball players tend to develop at a
Jan 03rd 2013
It's baseball
Jan 03rd 2013
Yeah
Jan 03rd 2013
yep...
Jan 03rd 2013
yep
Jan 03rd 2013
futbol for sure
Jan 03rd 2013
Would the speed of MLB Baseball be one of the main reasons there
Jan 03rd 2013
I dunno, I mean baseball and hockey are different
Jan 04th 2013

RaFromQueens
Member since Apr 18th 2006
19528 posts
Thu Jan-03-13 11:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "People always talk about the QB transition in football."
In response to Reply # 0

But there are always guys at the other positions who hit the ground running.

Basketball is obviously the easiest to transition in to. High draft picks are the best players on their teams usually.

If you count baseball I think that has to be it because they have to work their way up to even play in the Majors.

---
"People that need positivity around them all the time are weak individuals in my book" - @lilduval

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Jan-03-13 11:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "It's football"
In response to Reply # 0

Though don't discount how much longer the season is in baseball or basketball. College baseball players end their season in June, the MLB season isn't even halfway over. But it's also a lot less physically demanding.

But going from college to the NFL has to be ridiculous.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Y2Flound
Member since Aug 16th 2005
9819 posts
Thu Jan-03-13 11:55 AM

3. "Of the 4 major sports its easily baseball"
In response to Reply # 0

It's rare for a guy to even sniff the majors in his first year out of college

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Thu Jan-03-13 12:04 PM

5. "true but its kinda that way because there is an actual farm"
In response to Reply # 3

system right? Or is there a farm system b.c its hard to transition to the pros?

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Thu Jan-03-13 12:10 PM

6. "Just look at the MLB drafts over the years, and compare the success"
In response to Reply # 5

rate in the early rounds to the success rate of the NFL draft. It's a crapshoot because the players at that age still need to develop before you know if they are quality players or not. That's why there's a farm system.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Thu Jan-03-13 12:46 PM

7. "oh ok, i don't follow college sports too much and especially"
In response to Reply # 6

not college baseball but what you are saying makes sense.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Thu Jan-03-13 12:03 PM

4. "Probably baseball, because baseball players tend to develop at a "
In response to Reply # 0

later age. You can have a baseball player who is great at 19 but never turns into anything because he doesn't continue to develop as he hits his early 20's. You can also have young baseball players that are middle of the pack make a huge jump in development in their mid 20's. I guess that can be because for position players their power often develops later. For pitchers their success may be dependent on whether or not they develop a strong third or fourth pitch, and they may not do that until mid or even late 20's.

Football is probably the toughest jump in terms of the level of competition though - regardless of your own development the speed and strength jump from college to the NFL is HUGE.

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Thu Jan-03-13 01:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "It's baseball"
In response to Reply # 4

People simply do not understand the skill level of MLB players. The speed of the game always amazes me. Just watch how easily double plays are turned in the bigs and how easy they make it look. It's crazy.

Seeing a hitter smash a line drive and an infielder have enough quickness to sometimes get in two steps before they dive to stop it is mind blowing to me - especially since I played at a high level.

There are so many things I could point out that most people probably don't even notice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make Money: http://jamesjenkins.acnrep.com
Save Money: http://jamesjenkins.acndirect.com

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Thu Jan-03-13 03:43 PM

9. "Yeah"
In response to Reply # 8

Part of the reason for that is also because a high percentage of elite talent gets taken straight out of high school and never sees college. So unlike football or basketball, a majority of the best 19-20 year olds in the sport are not in the NCAA. Especially if you factor in international signings, which football has almost none of and basketball considerably less.

But if you just look at the list of All-Americas every year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Baseball_All-America_Team

The number of guys that you'll never hear from in a professional baseball context is really high.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Jan-03-13 05:29 PM

11. "yep..."
In response to Reply # 8

>People simply do not understand the skill level of MLB
>players. The speed of the game always amazes me. Just watch
>how easily double plays are turned in the bigs and how easy
>they make it look. It's crazy.
>
>Seeing a hitter smash a line drive and an infielder have
>enough quickness to sometimes get in two steps before they
>dive to stop it is mind blowing to me - especially since I
>played at a high level.
>
>There are so many things I could point out that most people
>probably don't even notice.

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Thu Jan-03-13 03:51 PM

10. "yep"
In response to Reply # 4

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

Member since Mar 29th 2005
3019 posts
Thu Jan-03-13 07:57 PM

12. "futbol for sure"
In response to Reply # 0

we are simply the Best

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Thu Jan-03-13 09:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Would the speed of MLB Baseball be one of the main reasons there"
In response to Reply # 0

is a hard transition?

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Fri Jan-04-13 09:53 AM

14. "I dunno, I mean baseball and hockey are different"
In response to Reply # 0

You can't really say "college to pro" transition when most guys are drafted at 18 out of high school, Latin America, Major Junior hockey or foreign pro leagues. Of course a guy at 18 is going to take longer generally than a guy at 21-23 (like in the NFL) or even 19-23 (like in the NBA).

If you just looked at college guys, I think you'd find their transition to be sort of similar in those minor league oriented sports. Certainly it's true in hockey, you see a lot of guys come in as undrafted FAs from college and get in the game quickly or finish out a little more of their NCAA career and jump right in. Same thing in baseball, guys coming in at 22 from major programs are not going to spend as much time in the minors, maybe none.

What positions? I think catchers in baseball, defense in hockey, tackles in football (LT a little more so than RT I guess), quarterbacks obviously, centers in basketball and, probably the most demanding adjustment, would be a goalie in hockey.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2102502 Previous topic | Next topic