Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2102201

Subject: "(SEA) Washington v Washington (DC): pregame preview." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Wed Jan-02-13 06:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"(SEA) Washington v Washington (DC): pregame preview."
Wed Jan-02-13 06:12 PM by smutsboy

Good read from Yahoo Shutdown Corner. Both young QBs are very very good.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/redskins-seahawks-similar-approaches-similar-stats-rookie-quarterbacks-215831746--nfl.html

Redskins and Seahawks take similar approaches — and get similar stats — with their rookie quarterbacks

By Doug Farrar | Shutdown Corner – 59 minutes ago

They were selected 73 picks apart in the 2012 NFL Draft, but Robert Griffin III of the Washington Redskins and Russell Wilson of the Seattle Seahawks have amassed surprisingly similar statistics in their rookie campaigns. Griffin, the second overall pick, and Wilson, taken 75th overall in the third round, have maximized their potential in run-heavy zone offenses with multiple formations and pre-snap approaches. When the two teams face off in the wild-card round Sunday afternoon at Washington D.C.'s FedEx Field, the mirror images at the quarterback position might be startling.

Griffin broke Ben Roethlisberger's rookie passer rating mark with a 102.4 metric, but Wilson did the same at 100.0. Wilson was responsible for 30 touchdowns in the 2012 regular season (26 passing, four rushing), while Griffin put up 27 (20 passing, and seven on the ground). Both quarterbacks attempted 393 passes this season, and Griffin completed 258 to Wilson's 252. Griffin threw for 3,200 yards to Wilson's 3,118, and threw five picks to Wilson's 10. In Football Outsiders' opponent-adjusted metrics, Wilson finished eighth among qualifying quarterbacks in cumulative efficiency to Griffin's ranking of 11th, and Wilson topped RG3 in per-play efficiency -- but just barely.

Clearly, both players are on fast tracks, and the road maps look very much the same. Where Griffin has far outpaced Wilson is in the run game -- the former Olympic-level sprinter gained 815 yards on the ground to Wilson's 489. Griffin operates out of more formation diversity -- the Redskins unleashed an entirely new offensive system for their new guy -- while Wilson had the Seahawks adapting and implementing similar zone-read, read option, and Pistol formation packages over time.

Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan has a long history of evaluating quarterbacks in the NFL, and it wasn't out of the question that the Redskins could have grabbed both Griffin and Wilson in their draft. Instead, Shanahan got a very effective backup in the fourth round in the person of ex-Michigan State quarterback Kick Cousins, while Wilson went to the "other" Washington and stole the starting job with an amazing training camp and preseason.

"Yeah, I really liked him," Shanahan told me on Wednesday, when I asked him how much the Redskins took a look at Wilson pre-draft. "Not only thought that he was a great football player, but he also had the intangibles that you look for in a quarterback. Just a class act, who can make plays with his legs as well as his arm. I just liked the way he handled himself, and the way that he played."

Instead, Shanahan pulled the trigger on a trade that sent multiple high picks to the St. Louis Rams for the right to draft the former Baylor quarterback, who has completely transformed Washington's offense to the point that it barely resembles anything the coach has ever put together. With son Kyle in tow as offensive coordinator, the Shanahans immediately set about the task of creating an offense that would befuddle the NFL, and play best to Griffin's obvious strengths.

"Once we drafted Robert, you could see what he could do in college -- running the zone read and all those things, and we talked about it at the time. We felt that he had the other things you look for in a quarterback -- arm strength and all the intangibles. He could make any throw; great vision and accuracy. Great speed, and he had a lot of success running the football as well as throwing it."
For Griffin, the process was as much about learning what the NFL had to offer as it was about letting his coaches know what might work on the field.

"We felt like it clicked from the first game," Griffin told me about the adjustments to be made. "We had to do some adjustments after the bye week, and it really paid off for us. Early on in the process, I was the student, and they were the teachers, and they were teaching me their offense and how to run it. I don't take credit for it -- those guys did a great job putting together the plays and the schemes we're running right now."

Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall, who has practiced against Griffin all season and would seem to have a better bead than some on Wilson's game, told D.C. radio station 106.7 The Fan on Wednesday that there are subtle differences between the two.

"I haven’t really gotten a chance to critique their offense, but Russell is a little bit different kind of athlete than Robert," Hall said. "Robert is a little more straight-line fast, where has a little more juke than actual speed. But he has good pocket awareness, and haven’t really seen how they’ve been putting their points up, but they’ve been putting up a lot of points these last three weeks. We’re going to have our hands full as a defense keeping those guys out of the end zone, and our offense is definitely going to have their hands full with that defense they’ve got.”

Again, the similarities. Both Shanahan and Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll balanced the abilities of their first-year field generals with the need to ramp up the gameplans as quickly as the kids could digest them. As a result, both Griffin and Wilson are handling more from a schematic perspective -- and that seems to expand every week. But as Carroll noted on Weednesday, the difference between the two situations was that the Redskins knew they had their guy from the start, and adjusted their practice parameters accordingly. Wilson split time in threes through much of training camp as Carroll and his staff tried to make the call between Wilson, free-agent signing Matt Flynn, and veteran Tarvaris Jackson. The fact  that Wilson was able to take so much on, Carroll said, was the real difference-maker.

When I asked Carroll how Wilson has changed Seattle's offense, the coach made it simple -- there's nothing the team wants to do, he said, that his rookie quarterback can't handle.

That's one more thing these teams, and coaches, and quarterbacks, seem to have in common.

https://i.imgur.com/ZkkZekl.gif

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RG3 >>>> Samoan Russell but 'Hawks >>>> 'Skins
Jan 02nd 2013
Ill be there
Jan 02nd 2013
I like the hawks by double digits
Jan 02nd 2013
we've won about a dozen different ways now
Jan 02nd 2013
^im around this area w/ it
Jan 04th 2013
      well i got the 24 part right
Jan 06th 2013
I feel about this game like I have all season:
Jan 02nd 2013
^yup
Jan 04th 2013
Since 1980, Home Playoff Underdogs are 17-9
Jan 03rd 2013
I usually disregard stats like this, but I like this one so much I'll ta...
Jan 03rd 2013
I'm the pessemist
Jan 04th 2013
I'm with you (pessimistic)...
Jan 04th 2013
playing with house money
Jan 04th 2013
Toughest challenge yet for this team IMO.
Jan 04th 2013
RG3 better
Jan 04th 2013
Not worried about Seattle on the road
Jan 04th 2013
Listening to Seattle radio......
Jan 05th 2013
Cautiously optimistic
Jan 05th 2013
i wouldn't say i'm confident, but i think we'll win by at least 1 TD.
Jan 05th 2013
Seahawks have not won on the road in 29 years.
Jan 05th 2013

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42754 posts
Wed Jan-02-13 06:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RG3 >>>> Samoan Russell but 'Hawks >>>> 'Skins"
In response to Reply # 0

Number 1 I don't think RG3 will be at 100% speed yet

(might be good for him because if he tries to cut loose on this D they have the speed to lay hats on him)

I don't think Alf can rack up another phenomenal game against this D. I think he'll be held to just over 100 yds.

With Seattle putting up football numbers (LITERALLY) on any and all comers recently I just don't see the 'Skins smoke and mirrors being able to withstand the onslaught for 4 quarters

If the Skins win I will be very very impressed.

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5288 posts
Wed Jan-02-13 07:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Ill be there"
In response to Reply # 0

I see the skins taking it.

Member since Mar 29th 2005
3019 posts
Wed Jan-02-13 07:45 PM

3. "I like the hawks by double digits"
In response to Reply # 0

excited to see it, regardless

we are simply the Best

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18362 posts
Wed Jan-02-13 10:33 PM

4. "we've won about a dozen different ways now"
In response to Reply # 0

- we went to Dallas and ran pistol pistol pistol
- we hosted the Giants and focused solely on clock management
- we hosted the Ravens and ran pistol, Alf, and won with Special Teams
- we went to Cleveland and ran a JV Houston offense with our backup and dominated
- we went to Philly with a hobbled Bob and let the once-embarrassing defense win the game
- we hosted Dallas, blitzed every other down and ran the ball down their throats for an hour

I'm biased, obviously. But I really do think this is the NFC title game.
The Seahawks are probably the better team, but they're not good in the grass and they're nothing special on the road save for the blowout Bills game. Furthermore, everyone keeps championing their San Fran blowout from two weeks ago without mentioning how pedestrian they looked against the Rams this week (at home no less.)

It's a shame really because if we had the Griffin from Thanksgiving we'd be a no bullshit Super Bowl contender. For now I'm going to temper my expectations, place all of my faith in this home crowd, and pick the Skins to come through with a gritty 20-14 that, like the Ravens game, sees us pulling from all areas of the team and coming up somewhere huge on specials at some point.

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Fri Jan-04-13 08:52 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "^im around this area w/ it"
In response to Reply # 4

im not counting on a win, but i wont be surprised by one

i think ppl in general are underestimating the skins & im ok w/ that for now

i think itll be a higher score tho, 27-24 skins...we get a td & a fg off of turnovers

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Sun Jan-06-13 10:06 PM

20. "well i got the 24 part right"
In response to Reply # 13

smutsboy
33301 posts
Wed Jan-02-13 11:57 PM

5. "I feel about this game like I have all season:"
In response to Reply # 0

I wouldn't put my money on the Sk*ns, but with RG3, almost literally anything is possible, and nothing would surprise me.

Skins biggest advantage is home field 3,000 miles away from Seattle.

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Fri Jan-04-13 04:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "^yup"
In response to Reply # 5

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make Money: http://jamesjenkins.acnrep.com
Save Money: http://jamesjenkins.acndirect.com

ChuckFoPrez
Charter member
47859 posts
Thu Jan-03-13 06:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Since 1980, Home Playoff Underdogs are 17-9"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/chuck4prez

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18362 posts
Thu Jan-03-13 08:59 AM

7. "I usually disregard stats like this, but I like this one so much I'll ta..."
In response to Reply # 6

smutsboy
33301 posts
Fri Jan-04-13 11:34 AM

8. "I'm the pessemist"
In response to Reply # 0

But I'm worried about Sunday's game.

They have a very good defense and we do not.

Ausar72
Charter member
1191 posts
Fri Jan-04-13 11:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "I'm with you (pessimistic)..."
In response to Reply # 8
Fri Jan-04-13 11:53 AM by Ausar72

But I like the underdog position for the Sk!ns. That's how we were in the 80's, when the flashy teams (49ers, Cowboys, Giants, etc...) were always the favorites.

I like our position, we have to go out there and earn this shit!

Shock the world! Let's go!

<<<---"That's my quarterback!" (c) T.O.

my thoughts,

peace.

DonKnutts
Charter member
27064 posts
Fri Jan-04-13 05:28 PM

12. "playing with house money"
In response to Reply # 8

that's how I see it. Wasn't meant to be a playoff season.

Not to promote a loser's mentality, but to me, the experience gained from playing in this playoff game will be almost as important as the outcome.

That said, the key to me is not getting down early and keeping the score close.

When we get leads we inevitably let the other team crawl back to keep it tight in the 4th.

When Seattle gets leads, they step on their opponents' necks.

B.J.S.301
Member since Nov 30th 2005
7074 posts
Fri Jan-04-13 05:18 PM

11. "Toughest challenge yet for this team IMO. "
In response to Reply # 0

Everybody is gonna have to leave everything on the field for us to have a chance. As much as the defense has stepped up, they are gonna have to be dominant for us to win this one. And with the way they have played, that is gonna be a tough one to do.

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Fri Jan-04-13 10:35 PM

14. "RG3 better"
In response to Reply # 0

winner of this has a real good shot of making the superbowl

twistyroad
Charter member
9449 posts
Fri Jan-04-13 11:08 PM

15. "Not worried about Seattle on the road"
In response to Reply # 0

At all

Inkosi
Member since Nov 19th 2002
6858 posts
Sat Jan-05-13 02:33 AM

16. "Listening to Seattle radio......"
In response to Reply # 0

(yes I did take the time to see what they were talking about) you would think the seahawks were 16 and 0 or were bringing the 85 Bears defense with them. I wont be surprised at the outcome no matter who wins, but I sure hope the home mob can pull it out cause these seahawks folks done made me hate them with all I have.

---------------------------------
Do it girl

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Sat Jan-05-13 04:17 PM

17. "Cautiously optimistic"
In response to Reply # 0

Cautious cause of the road, rookies & playing a team that's won 7 straight

Optimistic about the way the team has played down the stretch in all three phases

Should be a great game. Will RGIII beat UW & Seattle in back to back post-seasons? He'll have to do it against a MUCH better defense this time if so. Interested to see how Browner plays in his first game back. Seahawks usually play better as underdogs. The -3 line away from CLink was somewhat surprising. I'll go with the smart $ tho.

23-20

PROMO
Charter member
30822 posts
Sat Jan-05-13 06:53 PM

18. "i wouldn't say i'm confident, but i think we'll win by at least 1 TD."
In response to Reply # 0

however, this is still sort of a toss up to me on paper.

grandmasterfletch
Charter member
1500 posts
Sat Jan-05-13 09:22 PM

19. "Seahawks have not won on the road in 29 years."
In response to Reply # 0

I am strangely confident in shannahan and haslett having excellent gameplans after the recent run.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2102201 Previous topic | Next topic