Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2051540

Subject: "Jon Jones, Chael Sonnen to coach 'Ultimate Fighter,' fight April 27" Previous topic | Next topic
3X
Member since Oct 18th 2004
7667 posts
Tue Oct-16-12 01:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Jon Jones, Chael Sonnen to coach 'Ultimate Fighter,' fight April 27"

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-ufc-jon-jones-chael-sonnen-ultimate-fighter-20121016,0,1269872.story

Jon Jones, Chael Sonnen to coach 'Ultimate Fighter,' fight April 27
By Lance Pugmire

October 16, 2012, 12:05 p.m.
Jon Jones didn't want to fight Chael Sonnen on a week's notice, but now the Ultimate Fighting Championship light-heavyweight champion will be subjected to perhaps a crueler fate:

Spending weeks on end around the quick-witted, in-your-face title contender.

UFC President Dana White told The Times on Tuesday that Jones and Sonnen have been assigned as opposing coaches in the third installment of "The Ultimate Fighter" on FX, creating some extensive pre-fight hype for their April 27 pay-per-view title match at a site to be determined.

"The Ultimate Fighter" with Jones and Sonnen is set to begin shooting on Oct. 29 in Las Vegas, with a debut in early January as young middleweights participate in a tournament that leads up to an April "TUF" finale at the Vegas Hard Rock Hotel, where the winner will receive a multi-fight UFC contract.

"This should be a good one," White said of matching arguably his organization’s best fighter against its top personality. "Jon has accepted the fight. He knows the fans want to see that fight."

The April fight date for the two was necessary, White said, because Jones was examined by a doctor in Los Angeles two weeks ago and it was discovered that his right arm, twisted badly in a Sept. 22 bout, had been injured and will require physical therapy and a layoff from mixed martial arts.

Jones, in consultation with trainer Greg Jackson, angered UFC leaders in August by resisting the organization's push to insert Sonnen as a replacement fighter for injured title challenger Dan Henderson of Temecula.

White was beside himself, asking why Jones couldn't take the bout despite having a full training camp while Sonnen was willing to challenge less than two months after a middleweight title loss and with extremely limited preparation time.

For the first time in the organization's history, the UFC took the dramatic step of scrapping its entire Sept. 1 card at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. White called the incident "an all-time low."

Jones, 25, ultimately accepted the Sept. 22 title defense against veteran Vitor Belfort in Toronto and, after surviving the first-round armbar episode, claimed victory by fourth-round submission.

In declining to face Sonnen in August, Jones (17-1) explained that he wasn't fully comfortable risking the belt against the 35-year-old skilled wrestler with a relentless, attacking style that nearly allowed him to upset middleweight champion Anderson Silva in 2010.

Sonnen (28-12-1) and Silva fought again July 7 in Las Vegas, and Sonnen dominated Silva in the first round, getting atop the champion but failing to deliver painful blows.

Silva quickly rallied in the second, retaining the belt he's owned since 2006 by dropping Sonnen with punches and finishing him by technical knockout with blows that included a knee to the chest.

Predictably, Sonnen has chastised Jones to reporters and on his Twitter account for ducking out of the Sept. 1 challenge.

In August, Sonnen tweeted to Jones: "I know you will never fight me. Don't be afraid. But I'll always be the monster in the closet of your mind, little JJ." After Jones' win over Belfort, Sonnen reminded him: "I’m not going anywhere Johnny!!"

Last week, Sonnen revealed the dialogue that was happening between camps by noting: "You don’t give. I TAKE. Remembah that, Bonesie-boy."

Sonnen's ability to penetrate his opponent's psyche emerged in the Silva rematch, with the normally peaceful champion vowing to break the challenger's teeth, arms and legs.

-------
It's incredible how the people that know the least are the first to offer advice.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Now this will help the ratings...
Oct 16th 2012
:O the fight gon suck but this will be must see tv.
Oct 16th 2012
Huge build up for what will be a horrible fight.
Oct 16th 2012
Read Jons turned down coaching vs Cormier cuz no one knew who he was
Oct 16th 2012
Weeks of Chael cutting promos and/or trolling leading up to his executio...
Oct 16th 2012
Dana got his mojo back.
Oct 16th 2012
I wonder if Rashad Evans or Phil Davis were considered over chael
Oct 16th 2012
Dana can quit all that talk about UFC being a legitimate org now.
Oct 16th 2012
Agree....and Chael lost his UFC debut at 205 pounds 7 years ago
Oct 16th 2012
This is smart...because it sets up Silva vs. Jones for the fall
Oct 16th 2012
What would goin 3 rounds mean? He won 4 1/2 vs Silva...still lost
Oct 16th 2012
The intrigue is that he did go 4 1/2 with Silva.
Oct 16th 2012
      jones is gonna skullfuck him.
Feb 28th 2013
None of what you said makes -this- fight any more legit though.
Oct 16th 2012
boxing can't make the one sure-fire superfight it has available
Oct 16th 2012
I can get behind this.
Oct 16th 2012
Sure hope there is some kind of format adjustment
Oct 17th 2012
If the finale is Samman and Uriah they gave it away with a NOS commercia...
Feb 28th 2013
UFC had their cameras pan on Uriah Hall
Feb 28th 2013
      I dont know
Feb 28th 2013
this is my favorite season so far
Feb 28th 2013

ChampD1012
Member since Sep 27th 2003
8355 posts
Tue Oct-16-12 01:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Now this will help the ratings..."
In response to Reply # 0

I am watching every week...

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85054 posts
Tue Oct-16-12 01:38 PM

2. ":O the fight gon suck but this will be must see tv."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Oct-16-12 01:43 PM by BrooklynWHAT

<--- Big Baller World Order

Numba_33
Charter member
19322 posts
Tue Oct-16-12 01:41 PM

3. "Huge build up for what will be a horrible fight."
In response to Reply # 0

Hopefully the show will actually produce decent fighters. Is Chael part of Team Quest at the moment? Just curious what other UFC fighters are apart of his training camp and will appear on the show.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66741 posts
Tue Oct-16-12 02:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Read Jons turned down coaching vs Cormier cuz no one knew who he was"
In response to Reply # 0

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Doc Catalyst
Member since Nov 24th 2008
189 posts
Tue Oct-16-12 02:18 PM

5. "Weeks of Chael cutting promos and/or trolling leading up to his executio..."
In response to Reply # 0

I honestly wish they would just drop TUF already and replace it with a weekly fight show with some low level guys on the roster. They're no longer putting their best prospect talent on the show so we basically have house hijinks featuring guys who except for maybe one or two will be gone within 3 or 4 fights in the organization.

Castro
Charter member
50739 posts
Tue Oct-16-12 02:18 PM

6. "Dana got his mojo back."
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

3X
7667 posts
Tue Oct-16-12 02:25 PM

7. "I wonder if Rashad Evans or Phil Davis were considered over chael"
In response to Reply # 0

-------
It's incredible how the people that know the least are the first to offer advice.

agentB
Member since Dec 14th 2007
1881 posts
Tue Oct-16-12 02:31 PM

8. "Dana can quit all that talk about UFC being a legitimate org now."
In response to Reply # 0

Low ratings and pressure by Fox have obviously gotten him to change his tune and do all kinds of crazy shit.

This is great TV, but you've got your champ facing a guy that's 2-2 in his last 4 fights (maybe really 1-3 with the Bisping fight) and fresh off getting finished at a lower weight class.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Kevin James and Tom Hardy found their way on to the UFC roster in-character.

3X
7667 posts
Tue Oct-16-12 03:20 PM

9. "Agree....and Chael lost his UFC debut at 205 pounds 7 years ago"
In response to Reply # 8

-------

Castro
Charter member
50739 posts
Tue Oct-16-12 03:22 PM

10. "This is smart...because it sets up Silva vs. Jones for the fall"
In response to Reply # 8

Great ratings, Chael is gonna get beat, but what if he lasts three rounds with Jones???? Now you have the intrigue of who is the best P4P....and then the onus is on both Silva and Jones to fight at the end of the summer or september of next year.

And btw, what are Chael's two losses??? Need I say more? This was a really sound move by Dana. It also gives him a year to start sorting through who is going to be next in the Middleweight division post-Silva. If Silva wins vs GSP and JJ, he retires as the P4P, and JJ gets some new folks to challenge in a year or so.

------------------
One Hundred.

Ceej
66741 posts
Tue Oct-16-12 03:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "What would goin 3 rounds mean? He won 4 1/2 vs Silva...still lost"
In response to Reply # 10

>Great ratings, Chael is gonna get beat, but what if he lasts
>three rounds with Jones????

Hes trash.

Castro
Charter member
50739 posts
Tue Oct-16-12 03:26 PM

12. "The intrigue is that he did go 4 1/2 with Silva. "
In response to Reply # 11

Which means he could possibly outfox Jones....

as long as he passes his drug test.

------------------
One Hundred.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85054 posts
Thu Feb-28-13 12:43 PM

19. "jones is gonna skullfuck him. "
In response to Reply # 12
Thu Feb-28-13 12:43 PM by BrooklynWHAT

theres no point to this fight other than ratings.

<--- Big Baller World Order

agentB
Member since Dec 14th 2007
1881 posts
Tue Oct-16-12 03:45 PM

13. "None of what you said makes -this- fight any more legit though."
In response to Reply # 10

We're talking about someone who was -maybe- evenly matched in a fight with Forrest Griffin up until today. He's maybe even an underdog in that fight.

He gets yanked out of that and gets a title shot?

That's the best scenario to set up a Jones-Silva superfight? Because they both destroyed the same dude?

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Tue Oct-16-12 04:01 PM

15. "boxing can't make the one sure-fire superfight it has available"
In response to Reply # 8

while Dana succeeds in making a few superfights every year.

This is a big deal, why poo poo it? Would you rather see him fight Lyoto Machida? Boring. Rampage? Rampage is a can at this point. Forrest Griffin? Get real.

Those two Ls? In title fights, one in which he looked amazing and the other in which he held his own for quite a while before falling to the Michael Jordan of MMA.

So save the cynicism. This is going to be a blast for the majority of us.

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Tue Oct-16-12 03:53 PM

14. "I can get behind this."
In response to Reply # 0

ImPerfectNick
Member since May 04th 2005
3463 posts
Wed Oct-17-12 07:40 AM

16. "Sure hope there is some kind of format adjustment"
In response to Reply # 0

The first ep of this season that I watched, the fight was in the middle of the show. Seemed like they showed more training vs house nonsense, but still the shit is stale.

Everybody's got opinions on the way you're living but see they can't fill your shoes... Life is made of half-illusions... forty percent confusion, whatever's left I'm using... to keep myself from losing, yeah.

Ceej
66741 posts
Thu Feb-28-13 08:22 AM

17. "If the finale is Samman and Uriah they gave it away with a NOS commercia..."
In response to Reply # 0

Numba_33
Charter member
19322 posts
Thu Feb-28-13 01:59 PM

20. "UFC had their cameras pan on Uriah Hall"
In response to Reply # 17

sitting in the audience during the latest PPV; if that isn't spoiling the series, I don't know what is.

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Thu Feb-28-13 02:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
21. "I dont know"
In response to Reply # 20
Thu Feb-28-13 02:34 PM by RobOne4

TUF guys have always gone to UFC events even when they werent in the finals. I remember when I went to UFC 59 half of that seasons cast was there signing autographs and taking pics. The season was still airing.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Thu Feb-28-13 12:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "this is my favorite season so far"
In response to Reply # 0

just the way it is shot. FX is murdering Spike right now. I dont know if its the fact that this seasons batch of fighters is more mature. Or if FX is just choosing to ignore most of the house bullshit. But it seems the focus is the fights and each guys story. Also it looks like a Countdown to the UFC show the way it is shot. Damn good season.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2051540 Previous topic | Next topic