Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2254890

Subject: "No jinx-o, but Marvin Lewis has done an outstanding job of" Previous topic | Next topic
Mignight Maruder
Member since Nov 30th 2003
7724 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 08:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"No jinx-o, but Marvin Lewis has done an outstanding job of"

building up this current Bengals team. I know he has yet to achieve anything of note in the post-season, but this current Bengals team has all the ingredients of becoming a potential SB contender. Don't know if this has been discussed much on here, but I thought it should be noted how great of a job Marvin has done in building this current Bengals team. Now with that said, the team is still pretty streaky and a lot of their success moving forward is dependent upon Andy Dalton's development (and the jury's still out on him).

But just looking at their current roster - especially on defense, it's pretty remarkable how quickly this team has developed and positioned itself for success in the future. The one glaring weakness is their OL, but other than that, they are pretty solid overall.

2 guys that exemplify Lewis's ability to develop talent are Vontaze Burfinct and Carlos Dunlap. Both guys were at one point pegged as 1st round talents only to see their draft stock plummet. The knock on Vontaze was that he was slow and uncontrollable. As an undrafted free agent, he's now on pace to put in a pro-bowl caliber season in just his second year. Pretty impressive to say the least. Carlos Dunlap is another guy that was pegged as a top 10 pick at one point. He too was passed on due to character issues. He's been a force force Cinci since his rookie year.

Looking at major contributors on Cinci's roster, it's pretty remarkable how many were either drafted in recent years or were basically cast-offs.

Terrence Newman and Adam (pac-man) Jones are journeymen CB's who have thrived under Lewis's system. Geno Atkins (who hopefully doesn't have a serious knee injury), who has already earned 2 All Pro selections in his first 3 seasons was drafted in 4th round. Georg Iloka was drafted in the 5th round and is already doing a decent job starting at SS as a rookie.

AJ Green, Mohammed Sanu, Marvin Jones are all good to great WR's drafted in recent years. Gresham and Eifert solid TEs. Giovanni Bernard appears to have a bright future.

Not sure how much power and influence Marvin Lewis has in player personnel, but I'd have to imagine he has plenty of say. And when you look at their current roster, it's extremely remarkable how he's built this team.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Welp, looks like I may have jinxed him for tonight. But, like
Oct 31st 2013
^ epic jinx ability
Nov 01st 2013
      Good call on Grimes. I had his nephew in class which is
Nov 02nd 2013
Cinncy has done a remarkable building job, shame Leon Hall got hurt
Oct 31st 2013
he would look like a better coach if he gave bernard
Nov 01st 2013
how gio doesn't get the vast majority of the work is beyond me.
Nov 01st 2013
RBs who don't block don't play in the NFL
Nov 01st 2013
      yeah that's Gio's only weakness
Nov 01st 2013
FTFY
Nov 01st 2013
am I the only one pointing the finger at Clabo for Geno's injury?
Nov 01st 2013
clip of Gio's incredible TD run. might be the run of the year
Nov 01st 2013
Sounds like Geno is done for the year
Nov 01st 2013
Mike Brown also developed an actual scouting dept
Nov 01st 2013
I think they still have the smallest scouting department
Nov 01st 2013
RE: Sounds like Geno is done for the year
Nov 01st 2013
      I never understood why Mays wasn't converted to OLB from
Nov 02nd 2013
           the conversion happened out of necessity (injury, lol)
Nov 02nd 2013
mike mccoy, rookie coach
Jan 05th 2014
RE: No jinx-o, but Marvin Lewis has done an outstanding job of
Jan 05th 2014
The team is still stacked. They just gotta fix the QB situation
Jan 05th 2014
This needs to be the end of the line for him, and I'm a Marv supporter
Jan 05th 2014
yeah, I'm seeing a lot of passes being given to him already...
Jan 05th 2014
It is. And like I said, bad QB play falls back on the coach.
Jan 05th 2014
RE: It is. And like I said, bad QB play falls back on the coach.
Jan 05th 2014
most will say Dalton and Gruden (which I agree with also)
Jan 05th 2014
WAT
Jan 05th 2014
yeah, the game was on Andy no doubt, but at some point 0-5 won't cut it
Jan 05th 2014
White QBs sucking is *always* black coaches' fault
Jan 05th 2014
not taking it to race man, strictly the play of the football team
Jan 05th 2014
      The white QB fucking sucks. The black coach gets blamed.
Jan 05th 2014
           shitty QB is right, lol
Jan 05th 2014
please get rid of him. we'll gladly have him on the Titans.
Jan 05th 2014
      that's the thing...won't happen, lol
Jan 05th 2014
They shat the bed today on offense, D did its best to hang in there
Jan 05th 2014
steelers would be happy to pay lewis's salary for the next ten years
Jan 06th 2014

Mignight Maruder
7724 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 09:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Welp, looks like I may have jinxed him for tonight. But, like"
In response to Reply # 0

I said, his success is unfortunately very much dependent on the development of the red headed step son, err rifle. His defense is doing a damn good job though.

Nice to see Cody Grimes make a huge play. SHIPP HAPPENS! If you're not from PA, you probably have no clue what that last sentence means.

will_5198
Charter member
63120 posts
Fri Nov-01-13 12:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "^ epic jinx ability"
In response to Reply # 1

Atkins gone for the year, Bengals lose on a safety, and even Brent Grimes was offended by your shout-out. never post about the Colts.

--------

Mignight Maruder
7724 posts
Sat Nov-02-13 07:25 AM

16. "Good call on Grimes. I had his nephew in class which is"
In response to Reply # 5

why I slipped with the name.

Like I said in another post, the Bengals have had some huge setbacks with injuries lately, but the team is poised to be great for a long while (provided they can resign key players and replace them thru the draft). Regardless of how they finish this year, Marvin Lewis and management deserves a ton of respect for the manner in which they rebuilt this team.

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 09:44 PM

2. "Cinncy has done a remarkable building job, shame Leon Hall got hurt"
In response to Reply # 0

they've drafted perfectly, those extra picks from the dumb ass raiders didnt hurt... and Burflict undrafted steal obviously... I don't even hate Dalton but if Cinncy had a legit stud qb they'd win it all easy this year I think

<< Started From The Bottom

@rob_starrk

falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4384 posts
Fri Nov-01-13 12:12 AM

3. "he would look like a better coach if he gave bernard "
In response to Reply # 0

more goddamn work
falling behind 17-3 to a joke ass team because they featured a snail of a running back in law firm... no wonder dalton throws picks... no defense is gonna give a shit if they see a washed up RB in the backfield
if that gotdamn run by gio doesnt wake lewis/gruden up....

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85133 posts
Fri Nov-01-13 12:28 AM

4. "how gio doesn't get the vast majority of the work is beyond me."
In response to Reply # 3

i seen that dude every game at UNC. aint no way in hell the law firm is good enough to keep him off the field.

<--- Big Baller World Order

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Fri Nov-01-13 12:38 AM

6. "RBs who don't block don't play in the NFL"
In response to Reply # 3

didn't watch the game tonight
but that was the reason why ellis was starting over him earlier in the season

~~~~~~

THRILLHOUSE
Member since Oct 26th 2007
3655 posts
Fri Nov-01-13 09:53 AM

11. "yeah that's Gio's only weakness"
In response to Reply # 6

I've seen about enough of BJGE though. Other than short yardage or plays where they need the RB to pass protect, he should not be on the field over Gio. Hopefully Gio's injury isn't too serious.

KosherSam
Member since Mar 18th 2004
70132 posts
Fri Nov-01-13 08:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "FTFY"
In response to Reply # 0

>Carlos Dunlap is another
>guy that was pegged as a top 10 pick at one point. He too was
>passed on due to getting so drunk that he passed out in his car at a green light, with his car in gear, in the week leading up to the biggest game of the season.

*Jews you*

"this is okp tho, reading is completely optional" (c) desus

Proceed with caution. I am overtly racist.

<-- In Pigpen we trust

deezy
Member since Jul 22nd 2013
1029 posts
Fri Nov-01-13 08:52 AM

8. "am I the only one pointing the finger at Clabo for Geno's injury?"
In response to Reply # 0

it wasn't intentional, but it was definitely avoidable

dude was trying to outmuscle Burfict after the play. they fell on Atkins
who was under a pile and completely vulnerable. Clabo has a
reputation as a "nasty" lineman. usually, those types get called out
when they're involved in something like this

and why didn't anyone from NFL Network mention that Miami got away with
an obvious hit to the helmet which caused an interception?
like... they completely ignored that sh*t. wtf?

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Fri Nov-01-13 09:08 AM

9. "clip of Gio's incredible TD run. might be the run of the year"
In response to Reply # 0

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/giovani-bernard-makes-case-play-more-sidewinding-td-030139768--nfl.html

THRILLHOUSE
3655 posts
Fri Nov-01-13 09:51 AM

10. "Sounds like Geno is done for the year"
In response to Reply # 0

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Bengals have now lost their 2 most important players on D in Atkins and Leon Hall. I still think they will make the playoffs, but I can't see them being a true Super Bowl contender with these injuries.

And on the original topic, the smartest thing Mike Brown ever did was give Marvin more control over the roster. Bengals have the smallest scouting department in the league, Marvin and his staff have done a hell of a job drafting the last 3 - 4 years. If Marvin ever decides he doesn't want to coach anymore, I could see him being a good GM.

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Fri Nov-01-13 09:59 AM

12. "Mike Brown also developed an actual scouting dept"
In response to Reply # 10

for years didn't they have the smallest, least-paid scouting dept in the league?

THRILLHOUSE
3655 posts
Fri Nov-01-13 10:16 AM

13. "I think they still have the smallest scouting department"
In response to Reply # 12
Fri Nov-01-13 10:17 AM by THRILLHOUSE

Based on what I can tell from http://www.bengals.com/team/staff-directory.html looks like there are 3 scouts and 3 "scouting consultants". But yeah, until recently I think they only had 1 scout and a couple of consultants. Progress!

MaxPtah
Member since Mar 06th 2007
5843 posts
Fri Nov-01-13 05:51 PM

14. "RE: Sounds like Geno is done for the year"
In response to Reply # 10

sucks he's gone, but I'm not the least bit worried because Gilberry's sacks comes when he's in at tackle. He may not be an every down force like Geno, but when pressure is needed I thing Gil can replace him there a bit. Hopefully our young DTs are ready to fill in, if they do a decent job, that'll at least give Geno some time to get to 100%.

Now that we've finally gotten our starting safety opposite Nelson (Iloka has been nasty, Carrier just needs to get him turnover minded) and Marvin Jones is the closest to a legit #2 receiver, we would have to deal with injuries to our deepest positions.....fuuuuuuck!!!!

also wanna send a shout out to Marv, Zimmer, and our LBs coach for turning Mays into a Nickel LB. Made some key plays in games before he got injured.

----------------------------------
www.maxptah.com
"you gotta be real white to hate on a nxgga for eating." (c) okp infin8

Mignight Maruder
7724 posts
Sat Nov-02-13 07:02 AM

15. "I never understood why Mays wasn't converted to OLB from"
In response to Reply # 14

the jump. SS have to be versatile against the run and more so with the pass in today's league. Big, bulky hitters like him have been phased out over the past decade plus. He never possessed the speed and wiggle necessary to play in the secondary. He's always had the perfect frame (just add 10-20 lbs of muscle) to play OLB. With that said, it's good to see Marvin is putting him to use.

The injuries suck for now, but the future looks pretty bright. The reason I made this post is because I'm down in the dumps thinking about my Eagles and looking around the league to teams who have built themselves from scratch. Cincy really hasn't had many big free agent signings over the years. They've drafted a TON of impact players through the draft in recent years and have done an outstanding job of developing that talent. Marvin and the rest of the Bengals management deserves serious respect for that.

MaxPtah
5843 posts
Sat Nov-02-13 12:28 PM

17. "the conversion happened out of necessity (injury, lol)"
In response to Reply # 15

our original nickel LB got hurt in the preseason and Marv didn't want to bring anyone in and didn't want to have two less than average pass coverage LBs in that package so Marv, Zim, and Gunther, decided to give Mays a two week crash course on the nickel D and his assignments. He didn't like it, but he embraced it when he was able to get on the field more and make key plays in big games. Now he's fully behind it and likes it.

Like mentioned above the turning point in the franchise was when Brown let Marv have more control in the personnel and scouting department. I expected him do well on the defensive side of the ball, but what's impressed me more is his evaluation on the offensive side. The most overlooked pick he's made on that side is picking Zeitler over DeCastro. I (and the Bengals messageboard) hated it at the time, but with DeCastro having injury issues and Zeitler getting Pro Bowl consideration last year, he made himself look damn good. I'd want him to stay on as a GM or something.

www.maxptah.com

falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4384 posts
Sun Jan-05-14 04:06 PM

18. "mike mccoy, rookie coach"
In response to Reply # 0

COOLEHMAGAZINE
Member since May 22nd 2007
5563 posts
Sun Jan-05-14 04:12 PM

19. "RE: No jinx-o, but Marvin Lewis has done an outstanding job of"
In response to Reply # 0

Marvin deserved better.

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos

http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/

Mignight Maruder
7724 posts
Sun Jan-05-14 04:24 PM

21. "The team is still stacked. They just gotta fix the QB situation"
In response to Reply # 19

And fair or unfair, that falls on the head coach. I hope Marvin is given the time to coach this team out. He's helped build up a heck of a team. Just gotta get better play at QB.

MaxPtah
5843 posts
Sun Jan-05-14 04:23 PM

20. "This needs to be the end of the line for him, and I'm a Marv supporter"
In response to Reply # 0

0-5 in the playoffs, the only time you can tell he had a team ready was the first time there. These other four games there was no readiness at all.

www.maxptah.com

Dstl1
Charter member
56262 posts
Sun Jan-05-14 04:24 PM

22. "yeah, I'm seeing a lot of passes being given to him already..."
In response to Reply # 20

ain't this on the coach? 5 years in a row...c'mon.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Mignight Maruder
7724 posts
Sun Jan-05-14 04:31 PM

23. "It is. And like I said, bad QB play falls back on the coach. "
In response to Reply # 22

Especially if the coach has been reluctant in making the necessary changes to improve in that area. Marv could be fired today and I'll understand. Personally, I still think he's a good coach and is doing a good job overall. I'd say give him the ultimatum for next year - at least 1 playoff win. But I can certainly understand why some Cincy fans want him gone. I'm just saying that when the anger subsides, I think most will realize he's probably the best option they have as the head coach - and you can't deny he's done a remarkable job of assembling talent and getting the most out of his defensive players.

MaxPtah
5843 posts
Sun Jan-05-14 04:36 PM

26. "RE: It is. And like I said, bad QB play falls back on the coach. "
In response to Reply # 23

>Especially if the coach has been reluctant in making the
>necessary changes to improve in that area. Marv could be
>fired today and I'll understand. Personally, I still think
>he's a good coach and is doing a good job overall. I'd say
>give him the ultimatum for next year - at least 1 playoff win.
> But I can certainly understand why some Cincy fans want him
>gone. I'm just saying that when the anger subsides, I think
>most will realize he's probably the best option they have as
>the head coach - and you can't deny he's done a remarkable job
>of assembling talent and getting the most out of his defensive
>players.

^^^^^
This was the narrative last year, this was make or break this year. Us fans (sadly) know he's the best option, but its time to cut the losses...literally

www.maxptah.com

MaxPtah
5843 posts
Sun Jan-05-14 04:33 PM

24. "most will say Dalton and Gruden (which I agree with also)"
In response to Reply # 22

but Marv's time is up, and this was his most talented team in all of his seasons. The players love him, but sometimes you gotta retool when things aren't working.

www.maxptah.com

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28870 posts
Sun Jan-05-14 04:35 PM

25. "WAT"

This is on Andy. Dude missed a wide open receiver that would've won them the game. They got the ball two more times after that in close proximity to field goal range.

I hope they fire him so the Browns can hire him. I want y'all to hire Josh McDaniels as his replacement.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

MaxPtah
5843 posts
Sun Jan-05-14 04:39 PM

27. "yeah, the game was on Andy no doubt, but at some point 0-5 won't cut it"
In response to Reply # 25

I had convo on this thread about it last year. Sooner or later getting the team (including qb) ready for a big game falls on the HC. 0-5 and only being competitive in one can't cut it.

>This is on Andy. Dude missed a wide open receiver that
>would've won them the game. They got the ball two more times
>after that in close proximity to field goal range.
>
>I hope they fire him so the Browns can hire him. I want y'all
>to hire Josh McDaniels as his replacement.

www.maxptah.com

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Sun Jan-05-14 04:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
28. "White QBs sucking is *always* black coaches' fault"

*always*

When its a white coach, its on the QB

This is true

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

MaxPtah
5843 posts
Sun Jan-05-14 04:58 PM

30. "not taking it to race man, strictly the play of the football team"
In response to Reply # 28

www.maxptah.com

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Sun Jan-05-14 05:00 PM

31. "The white QB fucking sucks. The black coach gets blamed. "
In response to Reply # 30

End of discussion.

He has a shitty QB.

EVERYONE ELSE did their job.

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

MaxPtah
5843 posts
Sun Jan-05-14 05:00 PM

32. "shitty QB is right, lol"
In response to Reply # 31
Sun Jan-05-14 05:05 PM by MaxPtah

though I gotta respectfully disagree as far a EVERYBODY doing their job. AJ dropped a wide open pass, Gio's fumble, and the OL stunk today. But yeah it was Dalton's performance the ultimately did them in.

www.maxptah.com

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85133 posts
Sun Jan-05-14 05:09 PM

33. "please get rid of him. we'll gladly have him on the Titans."

<--- Big Baller World Order

MaxPtah
5843 posts
Sun Jan-05-14 05:10 PM

34. "that's the thing...won't happen, lol"
In response to Reply # 33

www.maxptah.com

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sun Jan-05-14 04:51 PM

29. "They shat the bed today on offense, D did its best to hang in there"
In response to Reply # 0

I wouldn't can Marv, same way I said wouldn't can Marty after that weird Bolts loss to New England. The coach prepared the team, they didn't execute.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

theprofessional
Charter member
8761 posts
Mon Jan-06-14 02:51 AM

35. "steelers would be happy to pay lewis's salary for the next ten years"
In response to Reply # 0

if that's what it takes for the bungles not to fire him.

"i smack clowns with nouns, punch herbs with verbs..."

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2254890 Previous topic | Next topic