Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2222615

Subject: "Look at this dude Reggie Williams' knee man(swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
Geah
Member since Feb 16th 2007
48409 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 10:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Look at this dude Reggie Williams' knee man(swipe)"

http://binaryapi.ap.org/1e6f6e09154244de8894c476873766db/512x.jpg
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/former-bengals-lb-reggie-williams-had-24-surgeries-160141006.html
There are so many sad stories of former NFL veterans in terrible physical condition, and all the stories are important.

When fans complain about the game becoming too soft, they must be ignorant of the stories of former players who can't live a normal life in retirement at a relatively young age. When they speak with scorn about the league trying to put in rules to protect players from injuries, they aren't considering what someone like former Cincinnati linebacker Reggie Williams goes through on a daily basis.

Williams, who played with the Bengals from 1976-89, started two Super Bowls and is the team's all-time leader among linebackers in most categories including tackles, has had 24 surgeries on his right knee, which looks almost unrecognizable. According to an enlightening story by the Cincinnati Enquirer's Paul Daugherty, Williams is fighting off amputation of his right leg, which doctors tell him is inevitable. His right leg is almost three inches shorter than his left leg after all the injuries.

Here is what Williams' knee looks like after 24 surgeries, in a photo from the Enquirer's story. It's not pretty:

(Cincinnati Enquirer)
The story, which is a great read and worth the time if you have any compassion for the men who entertain us on Sundays in the fall, details the difficulty Williams has in his day-to-day life.

He hasn't had a meal at home in more than two years because he can't be on his feet very long to cook, the Enquirer said. His house during the summer is between 85 and 90 degrees because he can't use air conditioning, or his knee feels worse. He has had the surgeries, the first coming in 1979, knee replacements and multiple infections (in 2008 he was diagnosed with the bone infection osteomyelitis, which was not identified for two years) that have left his right leg 2 5/8 inches shorter than the other. He has no insurance to cover the pre-existing condition, so he pays for his own rehabilitation. He has battled the NFL and the Bengals for years over disability benefits. The Dartmouth-educated Williams felt the need to retire from a vice president job at Disney in 2007, at age 53, to dedicate himself to rehabilitation and saving his leg, the Enquirer story said.

This is what 14 NFL seasons and 206 games can do to a man.

@geahuwine

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
wow, crazy
Aug 28th 2013
You'd have to pay me money to get me to click that link.
Aug 28th 2013
It's not that bad. It's gross, but doesn't turn your stomach.
Aug 28th 2013
he has two right legs?
Aug 28th 2013
yes
Aug 28th 2013
      oh ok.
Aug 28th 2013
for the risks they take, pro ballers deserve every penny they can get
Aug 28th 2013
yup..which is why i have no problem with them holding out.
Aug 28th 2013
he needs to cut that leg off and get a prosthetic
Aug 28th 2013
Basically
Aug 28th 2013
Seems like every day, it becomes harder to be an NFL fan.
Aug 28th 2013
he was a VP at disney but has no health insurance?
Aug 28th 2013
and who the fuck was in charge of his wound care?
Aug 28th 2013
They Probably Wouldn't Cover Pre-Existing Conditions
Aug 28th 2013
in the post-ACA world, pre-existing conds arent as much a problem
Aug 28th 2013
      i dont think the pre-existing conditions thing has even kicked in yet
Aug 28th 2013
           It hasn't
Aug 28th 2013
                damn...well this kind of thing is the reason we have it
Aug 29th 2013
he had insurance
Aug 28th 2013
      RE: nah, he had insurance,
Aug 28th 2013
I'm going play devil's advocate here.....
Aug 28th 2013
You sound remarkably ignorant.
Aug 28th 2013
Explain.
Aug 29th 2013
no, just no
Aug 29th 2013
shit looks like pretzel bread.
Aug 28th 2013
wow, that is actually a sadly apt description
Aug 28th 2013
and ASSHAT goodell wants 18 games. smh.
Aug 28th 2013
i am all for 18 games if they eliminate preseason entirely
Aug 29th 2013
and i remember him playing back in the day
Aug 29th 2013
I feel bad that he has a knee like that...
Aug 29th 2013
I'm confused about what I'm looking at here
Aug 29th 2013

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 10:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "wow, crazy"
In response to Reply # 0

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86830 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 10:53 AM

2. "You'd have to pay me money to get me to click that link."
In response to Reply # 0

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

BennyTenStack
Member since Sep 09th 2007
5681 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 02:08 PM

16. "It's not that bad. It's gross, but doesn't turn your stomach."
In response to Reply # 2

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59254 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 10:57 AM

3. "he has two right legs?"
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 11:08 AM

4. "yes"
In response to Reply # 3

Cenario
59254 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 11:13 AM

5. "oh ok."
In response to Reply # 4

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

SooperEgo
Charter member
11338 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 11:14 AM

6. "for the risks they take, pro ballers deserve every penny they can get"
In response to Reply # 0

Cenario
59254 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 11:36 AM

8. "yup..which is why i have no problem with them holding out."
In response to Reply # 6

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 11:30 AM

7. "he needs to cut that leg off and get a prosthetic"
In response to Reply # 0

the imbalance it's causing throughout his skeleton will lead to more injuries.

and the NFL and bengals need to pay for all of it. and then some.

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 11:42 AM

9. "Basically"
In response to Reply # 7

>and the NFL and bengals need to pay for all of it. and then
>some.
The way the NFL treats its retired vets is deplorable in comparison to the other major sports

Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 12:13 PM

10. "Seems like every day, it becomes harder to be an NFL fan."
In response to Reply # 0

Between the horrible officiating, replays causing games to routinely last over 4 hours, Gooddell being an asshat, and now as we watch we know that players are basically killing themselves... it's hard man.

This story is very sad, too. And so many other players have problems that aren't visibly manifested and therefore are unnoticed.

Folk saying that the NFL won't exist in 20 years are mostly dismissed as hyperbole, but the NFL as-is seems unsustainable.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35489 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 12:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "he was a VP at disney but has no health insurance?"
In response to Reply # 0

cgonz00cc
35489 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 12:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "and who the fuck was in charge of his wound care?"
In response to Reply # 11

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 12:37 PM

13. "They Probably Wouldn't Cover Pre-Existing Conditions"

Insurance companies are real funny style like that...regardless if you have coverage through your job.
They'll start questioning whether or not you got your "ailment" during your tenure working or was it before your employment

Some companines' health plans don't care...others will make it an issue

cgonz00cc
35489 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 12:59 PM

14. "in the post-ACA world, pre-existing conds arent as much a problem"
In response to Reply # 13

seems like someone somewhere mislead this guy about his options

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6431 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 02:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "i dont think the pre-existing conditions thing has even kicked in yet"
In response to Reply # 14

not til january AFAIK

VonClay
Charter member
21865 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 08:41 PM

20. "It hasn't"
In response to Reply # 17

Instagram: @von_clay

cgonz00cc
35489 posts
Thu Aug-29-13 06:15 AM

26. "damn...well this kind of thing is the reason we have it"
In response to Reply # 20

so hopefully he can benefit

tariqhu
Charter member
18115 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 09:35 PM

21. "he had insurance"
Wed Aug-28-13 09:41 PM by tariqhu

while at disney.

tariqhu
Charter member
18115 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 09:39 PM

22. "RE: nah, he had insurance,"
In response to Reply # 21

then he left disney and became uninsured.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2013/08/25/reggie-williams-cincinnati/2697069/

Five months earlier, in November 2007, Reggie retired from Disney, to devote himself to rehabbing his knee and saving his leg. Eighteen months after that, Disney stopped insuring him. That was mid-2009. Reggie bought his own health insurance. It does not cover pre-exisiting conditions. His rehab is at his own expense.

blueeclipse
Member since Apr 12th 2009
1858 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 01:19 PM

15. "I'm going play devil's advocate here....."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Aug-28-13 01:23 PM by blueeclipse

As sad as this is no one forces these guys to play football man. The way these stories are portrayed at times you would think they were profiling a wounded soldier coming home from war. The older players got the shaft on this considering they helped lead the league into it's huge popularity spike and they played in a much more violent game than the one that is played today. HOWEVER, they CHOSE to play a game they knew could leave them with permanent injuries.

Obviously medical advances weren't what they are today back then, and there was less awareness about performance enhancing drugs, as well as training and nutrition. That being said......they CHOSE to play a sport that they knew damn well could lead to these type of injuries.

Above everything else, these former players weren't compensated near what players are today. IF there is an argument to be made......it's that. I look at the NFL the same way I look at the US as a whole. There is so much money there that treatment shouldn't EVER be a problem for former player. EVER. The same can be said for healthcare as a whole in this country. But we all know that's not the case.

As bad as we feel for these players, there are people suffering everyday who were never in the position to set themselves up for anything. There are soldiers getting their limbs blown off making almost minimum wage. Firefighters, cops, truck drivers, roofers, ect. all have high fatality rates on the job. Many of them are not compensated nearly enough for the risk. It comes with the territory.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 10:32 PM

24. "You sound remarkably ignorant."
In response to Reply # 15
Wed Aug-28-13 10:34 PM by ThaTruth

blueeclipse
Member since Apr 12th 2009
1858 posts
Thu Aug-29-13 12:25 PM

27. "Explain."
In response to Reply # 24

By all means tell me why.....

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Thu Aug-29-13 06:36 PM

29. " no, just no"
In response to Reply # 15

What happened today was an insult, crap pittance for dudes who put it all on the line to create a multi billionaire dollar industry.

Today's players have better information, better medicine and better salary, but that will only mitigate the problem, not eliminate it.

And let's not let the NFL off the hook either. This is the bunch of old boys club bullshitters that produced "scientific evidence" that contact sports weren't related to concussions. The public fucking FRIED tobacco companies for that sort of junk science, but not the NFL? They also continue to deny and downplay steroid use, which is obviously quite prevalent.

Why do I bring this up? Because while there is known risk in a contact sport, the NFL has ACTIVELY DOWNPLAYED the risk for years running!

Fuck them. Just off the fact that it takes four hours to watch a fucking game with pretty limited rhythm (thank you, ads!) I was almost through with the NFL. Bullshit like this pushes me closer and closer to saying fuck it.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85286 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 07:19 PM

18. "shit looks like pretzel bread. "
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 07:21 PM

19. "wow, that is actually a sadly apt description"
In response to Reply # 18

Castro
Charter member
50765 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 09:44 PM

23. "and ASSHAT goodell wants 18 games. smh."
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Thu Aug-29-13 07:08 PM

30. "i am all for 18 games if they eliminate preseason entirely"
In response to Reply # 23

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Aug-29-13 01:07 AM

25. "and i remember him playing back in the day"
In response to Reply # 0

and alot of cats during his prime are in the same boat think about earl Campbell.

and while things are a bit better now than back in the day, alot of cats still can barely move and the NFL needs to Protect their own personally.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

B.J.S.301
Member since Nov 30th 2005
7074 posts
Thu Aug-29-13 05:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
28. "I feel bad that he has a knee like that..."
In response to Reply # 0

But he is so attached to it and doesn't want to amputate it.

Its kinda sick actually that he wants to hold on to something so bad that its holding him back.

He literally let that knee define his legacy....

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15932 posts
Thu Aug-29-13 08:17 PM

31. "I'm confused about what I'm looking at here"
In response to Reply # 0

Are there two people with deformed legs in this picture?

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2222615 Previous topic | Next topic