Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2539555

Subject: "2016 NBA Draft Tiers" Previous topic | Next topic
SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Wed May-18-16 12:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"2016 NBA Draft Tiers"

The best Chad Ford draft article (and a useful fantasy draft strategy) is listing players in tiers. So how do people break down this year's draft class?
My sports viewing has fallen off this year so I'll just throw out what I see as the Conventional Wisdom rankings to kick things off and people can go on from there.

FRANCHISE PLAYERS
1. Ben Simmons
2. Brandon Ingram

Even if you don't think these guys will be the best players in the draft, you still treat them as the top 2 because of their perceived value. For instance, if you like Dunn or Murray more and have a top two pick, you're not taking those guys at 1 or 2, you're trading down with the Celtics or Suns to pick up another asset or two.
---

STARS
3. Jamal Murray
4. Kris Dunn
5. Dragan Bender
6. Buddy Hield
7. Jaylen Brown

Bender is the unknown and I think, out of the five in this tier, Brown might be the one most likely to drop down a tier. Dunn is probably top of the class but age and injuries could knock him below Murray. After Simmon vs. Ingram, the rankings of these three guards is the big debate of this draft.
---

THE WILD CARDS
8. Skal Labissiere
9. Thon Maker

I actually feel inexplicably confident that Skal and Thon will become, at the very least, quality starters so I'd reach for them but they are all over draft boards. Maker is anywhere from the lotto to the mid-2nd round. If the Celtics landed either of these guys at 16, I'd be thrilled with the roll of the dice. If they went 8 or 9, it'd be a reach but given who is coming after them, I don't think it's an egregious decision.
I almost threw Chieck Diallo in here even though he's not as highly rated but he was the talk of the combine, had some hype in high school, and I could see him being a workout wonder who works his way up the draft boards.
---

THE STARTERS

This is where the pack gets more crowded but there seems to be a lot of potential in this group. I'll just throw these guys into groupings with their positions. Right now, Ulis is probably my favorite out of this group.
For the bigs, Ellenson and Sabonis stock has fluctuated the most. They got some early hype but have risen and then fallen while Poeitl has remained more constant ad Davis has slowly moved up as the others fell.

Not wild about the swingmen although I know nothing about the Euros. Beasley and Prince seem like the guys who could either develop into useful starters or be out of the league at the end of their rookie deal. Valentine's athleticism seems to limit his potential.

Again, I'm a huge fan of the little guy Ulis. Something about Jackson irks me. Don't know much about Baldwin.

BIGS
10. Cheick Diallo
11. Deyonta Davis
12. Jakob Poeitl
13. Marquese Chriss
14. Henry Ellenson
15. Domantas Sabonis

SWING
16. Denzel Valentine
17. Timothe Luwawu
18. Furkan Korkmaz
19. Taurean Prince
20. Malik Beasley

POINT
21. Tyler Ulis
22. Demetrius Jackson
23. Wade Baldwin
---

SLEEPERS
Damian Jones
Ivica Zubac
Ante Zizic
Zhou Qi
DeAndre Bembry
Dejounte Murray
Caris Levert (Probably wishes he struck while hype iron was hot.)
Diamond Stone

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I like his skills but 149 pounds is not adequate to compete in the NBA
May 18th 2016
He's a point guard not a half back.
May 18th 2016
      RE: He's a point guard not a half back.
May 18th 2016
           DJ Augustin?
May 18th 2016
           Terrell Brandon, Ty Lawson, Avery Johnson
May 18th 2016
           RE: Terrell Brandon, Ty Lawson, Avery Johnson
May 18th 2016
           TJ Ford was a starter on a playoff team in Toronto
May 18th 2016
These tiers are wildly optimistic haha
May 18th 2016
Tier 2 should be: All-Star to Very Good Starter
May 18th 2016
Huh?
May 18th 2016
      Star to me implies #1 or #2 option on a playoff team
May 18th 2016
      Boarderline All-Star: Ben Gordon
May 18th 2016

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35343 posts
Wed May-18-16 03:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I like his skills but 149 pounds is not adequate to compete in the NBA"
In response to Reply # 0

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Wed May-18-16 03:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "He's a point guard not a half back. "
In response to Reply # 1

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43363 posts
Wed May-18-16 04:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "RE: He's a point guard not a half back. "
In response to Reply # 2

me and my boy were talking about this.

Who are some examples of successful small pgs that arent scoring pgs and more of the Floor Generals that Tyler is.

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

MothershipConnection
Member since Nov 22nd 2003
7498 posts
Wed May-18-16 04:11 PM

5. "DJ Augustin?"
In response to Reply # 3

Augustin isn't GOOD but he's a serviceable NBA player... I like Ulis a lot too but if he could carve out a career as a top backup point that's probably a win.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Wed May-18-16 04:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Terrell Brandon, Ty Lawson, Avery Johnson"
In response to Reply # 3

Those are probably the three best. But the thing is that Tyler is a bit unique because usually guys his size ONLY get a look if they are insane shooters or scorers (and then teams hope they learn to run the point.)

But, yeah, he definitely needs to bulk up. Right now, I think he'd be one of the top five lightest players in NBA history.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Wed May-18-16 04:42 PM

10. "RE: Terrell Brandon, Ty Lawson, Avery Johnson"
In response to Reply # 8

-Terrell was a scoring guard
-Ty is built like a brick ala Chris Paul
-Avery would be a 3rd string PG in today's NBA

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

FILF
20180 posts
Wed May-18-16 04:36 PM

9. "TJ Ford was a starter on a playoff team in Toronto"
In response to Reply # 3

>Who are some examples of successful small pgs that arent
>scoring pgs and more of the Floor Generals that Tyler is.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

MothershipConnection
7498 posts
Wed May-18-16 04:05 PM

4. "These tiers are wildly optimistic haha"
In response to Reply # 0

The Franchise tier should be more like the Star tier, Star -> Starter, Starter -> NBA Rotation Player. Like Buddy Heield's upside is a bigger, stronger JJ Redick but would you call JJ Redick a star? More like an above average NBA starter.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Wed May-18-16 04:13 PM

6. "Tier 2 should be: All-Star to Very Good Starter"
In response to Reply # 4

But yeah, my list was more based on their upsides than anything else.

----

thejerseytornado
Member since Dec 24th 2005
26426 posts
Wed May-18-16 04:16 PM

7. "Huh?"
In response to Reply # 4

If JJ is above average and hield is a bigger, stronger version of that, isn't that a star?

What's in between above average and star? Borderline star? Semi star? Far above average?
-----------
you think we playing chess, but i'm playing mad-making. Basaglia

MothershipConnection
7498 posts
Wed May-18-16 04:44 PM

11. "Star to me implies #1 or #2 option on a playoff team"
In response to Reply # 7

Franchise player to me implies a guy who's career would be a disappointment if they didn't make the Finals at least once.

A star to me is a guy who should consistently be able to lead their team into the playoffs. Like Paul George is a star, if you put him on the Lakers right today, they could make the playoffs within 2 years or so.

If you put JJ Redick on the Lakers, they'd definitely be better, but no one would be surprised if they missed the playoffs cause people would be like "What'd you expect? Their leading scorer was JJ Redick!"

FILF
20180 posts
Wed May-18-16 04:51 PM

12. "Boarderline All-Star: Ben Gordon"
In response to Reply # 7

>If JJ is above average and hield is a bigger, stronger
>version of that, isn't that a star?
>
>What's in between above average and star? Borderline star?
>Semi star? Far above average?

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2539555 Previous topic | Next topic