Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2248935

Subject: "Thoughts on UFC 166?" Previous topic | Next topic
Numba_33
Charter member
19404 posts
Sun Oct-20-13 11:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Thoughts on UFC 166?"

No posts on last night's card, and I can't let that occur. What are people's thoughts on the card as a whole last night? Spectacular for the most part. I mainly want to know what people thought about Cain resorting to clinching and dirty boxing with Dos Santos for the majority of the fight last night. He certainly busted up Dos Santos last night, but it wasn't the most exciting style to watch. Sounds like I'm a spoiled ignorant fan, but it was a drain to watch, but I suppose some of that could be due to the fact Dos Santos didn't put up a truly great effort to stop the clinch work outside of the few close elbows he landed. And more importantly, Cain did what he had to do to keep the belt, so I suppose there is that aspect as well.

Anyhow, what do you folks say about the card overall?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Cain is a monster- I didn't like him for a long time
Oct 20th 2013
RE: Cain is a monster- I didn't like him for a long time
Oct 21st 2013
I love Cormier
Oct 21st 2013
RE: I love Cormier
Oct 21st 2013
Cormier kicked my ass a few years ago
Oct 21st 2013
      WHAT?!?!?!?!!?`
Oct 21st 2013
           yea.
Oct 21st 2013
                Please break down
Oct 21st 2013
                this is the best poast in OKSports ever(well one of them)
Oct 21st 2013
                I hope no one
Oct 21st 2013
                I knew a kid who was interning at this casting agency
Oct 21st 2013
                     You get paid?
Oct 21st 2013
                     RE: You get paid?
Oct 21st 2013
                     they gave me a grand
Oct 22nd 2013
                     That sounds horrible
Oct 21st 2013
                     RESPECT!
Oct 22nd 2013
                Dam.
Oct 21st 2013
                RE: Dam.
Oct 21st 2013
                all that and it didn't fuckin air smh
Oct 21st 2013
How was Melendez/Sanchez not discussed in this thread?
Oct 22nd 2013
RE: How was Melendez/Sanchez not discussed in this thread?
Oct 22nd 2013
#ARCHIVE
Oct 22nd 2013

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43363 posts
Sun Oct-20-13 12:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Cain is a monster- I didn't like him for a long time"
In response to Reply # 0

But like Frankie he's earned my respect. In all honesty that fight should have been stopped 3-5 times in the 3rd. JDS was out on his feet. One time herb even tapped Cain on the shoulder and let him keep fighting.

Cain wasn't just laying and praying he was working the whole time. Knees, inside punches, JDS couldn't breathe literally and figuratively.

He broke his spirit.

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Numba_33
Charter member
19404 posts
Mon Oct-21-13 09:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Cain is a monster- I didn't like him for a long time"
In response to Reply # 1

>Cain wasn't just laying and praying he was working the whole
>time. Knees, inside punches, JDS couldn't breathe literally
>and figuratively.
>
>He broke his spirit.

My complaint was strictly from an entertainment POV; the clinch work Cain was doing was very grueling and obviously he busted up Dos Santos plenty with it. It's just that it wasn't the most exciting style to look at since that's the majority of what he did and Dos Santos to Cain's credit didn't put up much of an attack to make the fight exciting.

It was amazing how relaxed Cain looked in between the rounds though.

It's a shame Cormier won't fight him (for now at least) since the two are somewhat similar and that would be a hell of a fight.

numark216
Member since Oct 27th 2004
9302 posts
Mon Oct-21-13 10:07 AM

3. "I love Cormier"
In response to Reply # 0

But I wonder if he has the hand speed and movement to really go in at 205. I'm sure he'll smother people who he can catch but I don't know how he's going to lock up Bones or Gustafson or any of the high level guys at that weight. Hell, I think Sonnen could give him a run just because of his activity level if he comes in as hot (juiced?) as he did in his big, non-Bones fights.

----------------------------

Young, restless, talk so reckless

Numba_33
Charter member
19404 posts
Mon Oct-21-13 10:29 AM

4. "RE: I love Cormier"
In response to Reply # 3

>But I wonder if he has the hand speed and movement to really
>go in at 205. I'm sure he'll smother people who he can catch
>but I don't know how he's going to lock up Bones or Gustafson
>or any of the high level guys at that weight. Hell, I think
>Sonnen could give him a run just because of his activity level
>if he comes in as hot (juiced?) as he did in his big,
>non-Bones fights.

Quiet as kept, Jones' straight up regular boxing skills aren't all that great, at least compared to Gustavson's and Texeria's. I think Cormier will definitely have problems getting inside Jones' legs via his kicks. And somewhat like you are alluding to, I think Gustavson and Texeria will test Cormier's chin since they move very well and IMO have superior boxing skills. Of course, if they are close enough to box with him, it's very likely he should be able to take them down, at least he's shown superb takedown skills as a heavyweight. Can't say I agree with you in terms of him Chael posing a serious threat to him because Cormier has superior boxing and wrestling IMO.

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18432 posts
Mon Oct-21-13 10:34 AM

5. "Cormier kicked my ass a few years ago"
In response to Reply # 3

I was a bully on MTV's short-lived "Bully Beatdown" program. I played a bully. All of the vignette stuff we'll call "extremely exaggerated"...but the fight part is way real. I didn't know I had Cormier until he walked into the arena and was introduced as a two time US Olympic wrestling captain. So it was bad.

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66766 posts
Mon Oct-21-13 10:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "WHAT?!?!?!?!!?`"
In response to Reply # 5

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Tiger Woods
18432 posts
Mon Oct-21-13 10:49 AM

7. "yea."
In response to Reply # 6
Mon Oct-21-13 10:50 AM by Tiger Woods

http://thebulliesofbullybeatdown.webs.com/unairedepisodes.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the above page.I'm Tyler. My episode was set to be the premier of Season 3, but this kid blew it for us. The episode has aired about 5 times in the last year on MTV2 and plays regularly in South America.

Here's screen caps from some weirdo blog about the show:

Cormier across from me:
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/396149_364018767000051_348320959_n.jpg

I was about 20 pounds heavier than I am now, here's me talking with Mayhem:
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/313959_364018733666721_2103222323_n.jpg

Cormier kicked me so hard in the stomach I thought I was going to shit my appendix.

Numba_33
Charter member
19404 posts
Mon Oct-21-13 10:52 AM

8. "Please break down"
In response to Reply # 7
Mon Oct-21-13 11:05 AM by Numba_33

how you got involved on this show. If you're being serious, this is almost as good as the UFC 166 card.

Almost.

**edit**

Also, does this pre-date when Cormier got involved with Strikeforce?

**further edit**

So Mayhem going to the UFC and looking beyond horrible wasn't the reason the show got cancelled?

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Mon Oct-21-13 10:57 AM

11. "this is the best poast in OKSports ever(well one of them)"
In response to Reply # 8

Numba_33
Charter member
19404 posts
Mon Oct-21-13 11:08 AM

12. "I hope no one"
In response to Reply # 11

clowns the dude because it's no joke to have to go up against one of those fighters. I hope he at least had some training beforehand to at least be conditioned to get hit, if that makes sense. I never watched the show when it aired, but I always loved watching when either MTV or MTV2 ran marathons. It's a shame it isn't on anymore though.

Tiger Woods
18432 posts
Mon Oct-21-13 11:20 AM

13. "I knew a kid who was interning at this casting agency"
In response to Reply # 8

it was the day before the auditions and they didn't have enough bully auditions lined up. The kid Facebook messaged me and asked if I could get to their Times Square office the next day, we went to school on Staten Island and we made it happen (making up and rehearsing our stories on the ferry on the way there.)

I portrayed myself as a loudmouth douche who was obsessed with beer and pissing on people.

Long story short they fly us out to Utah the first week of June 2010, we shoot all these vignettes with Mayhem over the course of 3 days, they're feeding me lines and patting me on the back and telling me "dude you're killing it keep it up." It's not real and everyone seems in on the joke.

Until the fight.

On the fourth day they shuttle me to this warehouse. They "train" me with Jeremy Horn for about 30 minutes, hitting the bag and everything while filming. As if that was going to prepare me for getting bulldozed by a world class athlete like Cormier.

I had Big John McCarthy for a ref. Like there was actually any officiating going on.

The first round was supposed to be takedowns and submission. I used all five of my tapouts in like 90 seconds. I wrestled in high school and college too so I was really trying to shoot on him, but he only slammed my face in the mat everytime. The last take down he took he shot a double leg on me, walked around the makeshift octagon with me over his shoulder, and slammed me. Hard. As soon as he applied the push choke I tapped and that ended the round.

The second round was strikes. It started with Cormier kicking me in the stomach with what felt like seven baseball bats. I truly just wanted to call my mom and cry and crawl in bed right there. McCarthy asked me if I was ok, I said I was, we kept going and Cormier was hitting me with these brutal jabs in the face and I cowered over and McCarthy stopped it.

It was awful. And the shitty part is that everything up until the fight was bogus so I thought the fight was going to be bogus too. But the fight was way real and I got manhandled by a legitimate UFC title contender in a dark warehouse in Salt Lake City.

Ceej
66766 posts
Mon Oct-21-13 11:27 AM

14. "You get paid?"
In response to Reply # 13

Also this is beyond fascinating, how have we not heard about this earlier?

Numba_33
Charter member
19404 posts
Mon Oct-21-13 11:31 AM

16. "RE: You get paid?"
In response to Reply # 14
Mon Oct-21-13 11:35 AM by Numba_33

>Also this is beyond fascinating, how have we not heard about
>this earlier?

I honestly thought the show got yanked because Mayhem went to the UFC, which is Viacom's opponent in terms of MMA at the moment.

**edit**

I wonder if Tiger Woods when and posted this on MMA message boards like Sherdog or MMA Underground if other 'bullies' would come out the woodworks and tell their sides of the working for that show as well. I feel some kind of way because I liked watching that show when Viacom aired it.

Tiger Woods
18432 posts
Tue Oct-22-13 03:15 PM

22. "they gave me a grand"
In response to Reply # 14
Tue Oct-22-13 03:15 PM by Tiger Woods

and that was really cool because I was going to Bonnaroo the following week so the timing couldn't have been better. They were also supposed to pay 10k that we were going to split three ways -me getting 6k, and 2 "victims" each splitting 4k - but that was only on the grounds that the show aired. Ours didn't air during the official season so we never saw that dough.

I don't know why I never anything about it. It's actually pretty embarrassing; I was on TV telling people I've pissed on other humans!

Numba_33
Charter member
19404 posts
Mon Oct-21-13 11:29 AM

15. "That sounds horrible"

given that you weren't a really bully. So all of the bullies were fakes? That makes the show almost sound like a black belt going 100% against a blue belt in a sparring match. Very interesting. Gotta wonder how the legit MMA guys feel knowing they are pounding one someone with no legit fighting experience that doesn't morally deserve to get pounded out. I suppose it's just another paycheck for them.

Lastly, did MTV/Viacom provide decent medical coverage in case the 'bullies' got hurt?

Castro
Charter member
50761 posts
Tue Oct-22-13 02:11 PM

20. "RESPECT! "

If you are ever in Baltimore, I am buying your ass a beer. That is crazy as hell but you were a trooper!

------------------
One Hundred.

Ceej
66766 posts
Mon Oct-21-13 10:54 AM

9. "Dam. "
In response to Reply # 7

Numba_33
Charter member
19404 posts
Mon Oct-21-13 10:57 AM

10. "RE: Dam. "
In response to Reply # 9

I very vaguely remember an episode when Mayhem Miller himself gave a bully a roundhouse kick to the gut and made the bully or 'bully' from Tiger Woods' account vomit into a bucket afterwards.

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42829 posts
Mon Oct-21-13 11:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "all that and it didn't fuckin air smh"
In response to Reply # 7

0NE L0VE
Member since Oct 21st 2003
7368 posts
Tue Oct-22-13 01:50 PM

18. "How was Melendez/Sanchez not discussed in this thread?"
In response to Reply # 0

Greatest fight ever.

www.vondarrien.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/Vondarrien

Numba_33
Charter member
19404 posts
Tue Oct-22-13 02:05 PM

19. "RE: How was Melendez/Sanchez not discussed in this thread?"
In response to Reply # 18
Tue Oct-22-13 02:13 PM by Numba_33

>Greatest fight ever.

I completely and totally disagree. The fight was entertaining, but a ton of Sanchez's punches were sloppy and some didn't land on Melendez. From what I remembered from the fight, Sanchez's kicks were what damaged Melendez mainly, not the sloppy flurry of punches he landed. I'll give Sanchez credit for making that fight a lot closer than I thought it would be. In that respect, he won although he lost. IMO, the Shogun/Henderson fight was better than the Melendez/Sanchez fight since the fight was much more back and forth and both Shogun and Henderson were visably out of it physically. Even Gustavson/Jones, which occured just a week ago, was better than Melendez/Sanchez IMO. If you disgree, that's cool, but I am firm in my opinion.

Castro
Charter member
50761 posts
Tue Oct-22-13 02:12 PM

21. "#ARCHIVE"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2248935 Previous topic | Next topic