Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2248492

Subject: "Have we talked about the grambling walk-out?" Previous topic | Next topic
thejerseytornado
Member since Dec 24th 2005
26427 posts
Sat Oct-19-13 08:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Have we talked about the grambling walk-out?"

first, calling it a revolt is wrong and unfair.

second, hats off to these young men demanding appropriate treatment.

swipe:

Hours after Grambling State University president Frank Pogue reiterated his support for the school's athletic program and football team Friday morning, only 22 members of the team showed up for their bus ride to Jackson, Miss., where they were scheduled to play Jackson State on Saturday.

Jackson State officials said at 5:30 p.m. CT that the game has been canceled and tickets will be refunded, though homecoming activities will go on as planned with the addition of an intrasquad scrimmage.

"I've been in touch with the (Southwestern Athletic Conference) and Jackson State University and this has been declared a no contest," Grambling spokesperson Will Sutton said in a statement.

Grambling athletics director Aaron James said Friday night that Grambling decided to forfeit the game at 4:30 CT and that the school will have to pay a $20,000 fine to the SWAC in accordance with league bylaws. The 22 players accounted for roughly 25 percent of the Tigers' roster.

PREVIOUSLY: Second coach out

PREVIOUSLY: Grambling players boycott Wednesday practice

James said the school pushed back the scheduled departure time an hour until 3:30 p.m., and that officials were hopeful the team would be on the buses. However, the buses were sitting idle and empty as of 3:35 p.m., five minutes after the university-imposed deadline for the team to appear.

Around 3:45 p.m., Grambling officials came to talk to the bus drivers, who were standing near the vehicles, hands in their pockets and looking confused. A few minutes later, the drivers loaded the buses and left without players aboard.

"Where do we go from here? We wait until Monday and see if they come to weight training," James said. "If you get 22 more to come Monday, you got 44, and now you can play a football game."

Former coach Doug Williams, who was fired from his position on Sept. 11, said in a text message to USA TODAY Sports on Friday afternoon, "I'm proud of them boys. They took a stance."

At 4:15 p.m., Grambling administrators met to determine what to do about the situation. James confirmed that an email had been sent to players stating that a revocation of scholarships was a possible repercussion of boycotting the game. "It wasn't a threat," James said. "We were just showing them that these were the things that could happen. Everybody got to realize, when there's an action there's a reaction.

"There's a clause in that if you don't go to practice, don't go to the game, your scholarship can be revoked, but we don't think we're going to enforce that today."

Pogue and James had said during a Friday morning news conference they expected the team to play Saturday. "We're going to Jackson and we're going to play Jackson State for their homecoming," said Pogue, who added he would be in the stands Saturday night.

The public appearance was Pogue's first since Williams was fired.

"We support our team when we are losing and when we are winning," Pogue said. "Our goal right now is to move forward with our academic and our athletic program. We support our men on and off the field."

Pogue's comments came amid a tumultuous week for the football program when the players walked out on a Tuesday meeting with administration, boycotted two days of practice, then witnessed interim coach George Ragsdale removed from his post. The team is upset about the firing of Williams, long bus trips to Kansas City and Indianapolis and poor facilities, including the weight room, although James said earlier Friday that the weight room will receive a $32,000 face-lift within the next two or three weeks.

"One concern was, not just the administration, but they felt that thestudent body and people weren't behind them," said Grambling dean of students David Ponton, who acted as a liaison. "(Thursday), a lot of those students voiced their support of the players. We're having a tough season. When you lose, everybody is against you. When you win, everybody is for you."

Grambling has lost 15 consecutive SWAC games and 18 in a row to NCAA opponents. Defensive coordinator Dennis "Dirt" Winston has been named head coach.

"I don't see the players as being in control," Pogue said when discussing the events of this past week, including the team's walkout Tuesday. "I have never lost control of an institution."

Ramogi Huma, president of college athlete advocacy group the National College Players Association, said of Grambling's players, "They've come together to identify various issues to have their voices heard."

Huma explained that his organization, which has led the "All Players United" campaign this season, doesn't advocate boycotts but does endorse college athlete solidarity. Still, Huma said, "At the end of the day, without the players, there's an empty stadium. That's the power that the players have, and at Grambling State they decided to wield (it)."

Earlier Friday Pogue, the university president, touched on the firing of Williams, which came four days after a loss to Louisiana-Monroe: "It was a difficult decision that clearly was not made overnight or over a week but frankly over an extended period time."

This week is a far cry from the glory days under the late and legendary coach Eddie Robinson, and Grambling officials said they realize it will take time to re-establish the image of the program.

"We assume it will take a little time, but there are some realities," Pogue said. "It is likely that it could take years to ever get back to the Grambling athletic image that it once enjoyed internationally."

-----------
Y'all stupid...should've tanked for Lebron/Wiggins in 2014 -Rex LongFellow

It's only funny till someone gets mad. Then it's hilarious.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
how are they being treated inappropriately?
Oct 19th 2013
personally, i was irritated at calling it a "revolt"
Oct 19th 2013
      They chose to play at those facilities.
Oct 19th 2013
           so therefgore they should accept it & stfu
Oct 19th 2013
           Right? SMFH. Kids gotta take it & not utter a word about improvement
Oct 19th 2013
           did u read the SI piece? they are getting dicked around, big time.
Oct 19th 2013
           Just read it. You're right, they are being treated very poorly.
Oct 19th 2013
                dude, it goes way beyond that. williams has money, connections
Oct 19th 2013
           that's some terrible logic
Oct 19th 2013
                You're reading too much into what I said.
Oct 19th 2013
                     fair enough n/m
Oct 19th 2013
the school could be looking at lawsuits with those staph infections
Oct 19th 2013
To quote one of my friends who's a Grambling alum....
Oct 19th 2013

veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Sat Oct-19-13 09:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "how are they being treated inappropriately?"
In response to Reply # 0

honest question.

the article doesn't seem to really cover that.

i still blame hip-hop.

thejerseytornado
26427 posts
Sat Oct-19-13 09:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "personally, i was irritated at calling it a "revolt""
In response to Reply # 1

i don't know enough about grambling, but this article gives more insight:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20131018/grambling-football/

shitty facilities, infighting over directed donations, firing a beloved coach, etc.
-----------

BennyTenStack
Member since Sep 09th 2007
5681 posts
Sat Oct-19-13 10:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "They chose to play at those facilities."
In response to Reply # 2

The other stuff I can better understand.

Binlahab
Charter member
182955 posts
Sat Oct-19-13 10:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "so therefgore they should accept it & stfu"
In response to Reply # 3

got it

does it even matter?

Radio Rahim
Member since Jul 21st 2008
20320 posts
Sat Oct-19-13 10:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Right? SMFH. Kids gotta take it & not utter a word about improvement"
In response to Reply # 4

Binlahab droppin science on the youth

"youre frustrated now? in undergrad? reading books all day?,
surrounded by more nubile unattached pussy than you will be in your life?"

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sat Oct-19-13 10:30 AM

5. "did u read the SI piece? they are getting dicked around, big time."
In response to Reply # 3

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

BennyTenStack
5681 posts
Sat Oct-19-13 10:41 AM

8. "Just read it. You're right, they are being treated very poorly."
In response to Reply # 5

Cant blame them at all for being upset. But if the school is broke, then the school is broke. If they don't have any money to give the athletic department, then that's what it is. Not saying they shouldn't complain, but it sounds like the people they are complaining to don't have the resources to fix the problem.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sat Oct-19-13 06:07 PM

13. "dude, it goes way beyond that. williams has money, connections"
In response to Reply # 8

the program has a history and many alumnus. there is something amiss here that's way bigger than some missing cash.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

thejerseytornado
26427 posts
Sat Oct-19-13 10:35 AM

7. "that's some terrible logic"
In response to Reply # 3

expecting basic facility upkeep isn't too much to ask for. smdh. like when i complain about the lack of dry erase markers in a classroom, you'd be like "fuck that, you took a job teaching there! deal with it!"

cmon.

-----------

BennyTenStack
5681 posts
Sat Oct-19-13 10:43 AM

9. "You're reading too much into what I said. "
In response to Reply # 7

I admit I hadn't read the SI article when I typed that. If I would have read it first, I wouldn't have said it.

That being said, the school is broke. It's not like they're giving tons of money to everyone in the school but them. It's a bad situation for everybody, it sounds like.

thejerseytornado
26427 posts
Sat Oct-19-13 10:45 AM

10. "fair enough n/m"
In response to Reply # 9

-----------

decaturpsalm
Member since Apr 24th 2005
19268 posts
Sat Oct-19-13 12:53 PM

11. "the school could be looking at lawsuits with those staph infections"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Oct-19-13 12:54 PM by decaturpsalm

the players pretty much have all the leverage here
terrible situation all around

KCPlayer21
Charter member
30076 posts
Sat Oct-19-13 02:08 PM

12. "To quote one of my friends who's a Grambling alum...."
In response to Reply # 0

"Grambling is notorious for shorting its students. The University has numerous new buildings including a new Fine Arts facility. All the administration has to do is take care of the small things."

You gon' live forever
Whether you want to or not
Some of us gon' end up holy
Some of us gon' end up hot.....

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2248492 Previous topic | Next topic