Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Freestyle Board topic #83663

Subject: "Help a young MC out.... (reposted from "The Lesson")" Previous topic | Next topic
Kaedus
Member since Nov 21st 2009
544 posts
Tue Dec-01-09 09:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Help a young MC out.... (reposted from "The Lesson")"

I'm an 18-year-old MC. I'm finna start recordin on my 1st mixtape. One problem I have with my writing though, is that I lack depth of topics/storytelling ability/basic rhyming. I'm dope (imo and a good amount of other people's), but really all I do is come up wit crazy metaphors, wordplay, and rhyme scheme to say how nice I am @ writing/rhyming. So when it comes 2 tha "science" of MCing, I got that pretty much downpacked. But what tips could someone give for me 2 improve on "the basics", expanding topics, improving delivery, etc.? Thanx in advance.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Help a young MC out.... (reposted from "The Lesson")
Dec 02nd 2009
Dec 02nd 2009
Dec 02nd 2009
      RE: Help a young MC out....
Dec 02nd 2009
Dec 02nd 2009
Dec 02nd 2009
U Already Conquered Half The Problem ...
Dec 02nd 2009
Yall droppin jewels on me haha
Dec 02nd 2009
      RE: Yall droppin jewels on me haha
Dec 03rd 2009
           RE: Yall droppin jewels on me haha
Dec 04th 2009
           18 years old
Dec 04th 2009
                RE: 18 years old
Dec 04th 2009
just live...
Dec 04th 2009
a few ideas
Dec 04th 2009
RE: a few ideas
Dec 04th 2009
RE: a few ideas
Dec 04th 2009
Dec 04th 2009
Dec 04th 2009
YUKON MAGAZINE: SIR WILLIAM DOESIT SPEAKS
Dec 04th 2009
imo, that ego shit is the reason why rap is still embryonic.
Dec 04th 2009
      RE: imo, that ego shit is the reason why rap is still embryonic.
Dec 04th 2009
here's what you shouldn't do
Dec 05th 2009
Dec 05th 2009

WILDOUT
Charter member
2723 posts
Wed Dec-02-09 12:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Help a young MC out.... (reposted from "The Lesson")"
In response to Reply # 0

take in what life gives you
make yourself a flame being fed by the air you speak with

WILDOUT
Charter member
2723 posts
Wed Dec-02-09 12:08 AM

2. "RE: Help a young MC out.... (reposted from "The Lesson")"
In response to Reply # 1

Plus collaborate with as many people as possible
freestyle as much as possible
and on the flipside spend time silent

Kaedus
544 posts
Wed Dec-02-09 12:09 AM

3. "RE: Help a young MC out.... (reposted from "The Lesson")"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanx man, good lookin

The Lyric
Member since Feb 07th 2006
158 posts
Wed Dec-02-09 07:14 AM

4. "RE: Help a young MC out.... "
In response to Reply # 2
Wed Dec-02-09 07:46 AM by The Lyric

>Plus collaborate with as many people as possible
>freestyle as much as possible
>and on the flipside spend time silent

To continue off of what he said above ^

See, I hear some people sometimes, and they say, "Oh, she can rhyme AND sing, She gon' be the next Lauryn Hill." Pisses me off! Just cos she's a she, she can rhyme and sing, all o' a sudden, she's the next Lauryn Hill? Fuck naw!!!

See, what makes Lauryn Hill, Lauryn Hill is not cos she can sing and rap. What makes L. Hill, L. Hill IS L. Hill, ya dig? It's who she is that makes her Lauryn Hill. She could be an architect and she will still be Lauryn Hill. She could be a stripper (LOL - why I gotta take it there?) and she will still be Lauryn Hill. Lauryn Hill is Lauryn Hill cos's she's the shit. Full stop.

What's this got to do with you? Well, basically, the more you experience, the better and more deeper you can write.

In other words, you gotta be observant. And analytical, as a person. That means that the books you read, help make you a deeper writer.

Then at the end of the day, you gotta give YOUR voice to YOUR thoughts. Like, the way that you say A will be different from the way that Biggie would say the same A.

Like, cat's might be saying "eat a dick, eat a dick," and you roll up into the joint and scream, "eat a ... fuck!" And silence follows.

Point is, "spend time silent" and find your thoughts. Doesn't particularly matter what the thoughts are per se. I mean it matters what your thoughts are, but you can make approximately anything sound good. Deep (i.e. thoughtful) lyrics don't have to be serious.

Then study any writers, whose writings you enjoy. These writers could be published, unpublished authors, bloggers, songwriters, people who don't write down their words, what-the-fuck-ever. The point is NOT to become these people, the point is just to try to figure out what makes them all that. Don't like the writer just cos other people like the writer. On that note, I just wanna say, fuck shakespeare anyday, gimmie Biggie always.

Be true to yourself.

That depth you want takes years to get to. Even 2Pac took a while. As in, even though he was being deep at 19, it was cos he was thinking those thoughts and observing his environment for a while (like since he was 11) -- there was an interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgA95WN7tX8&feature=related . But even as deep as Tupac was being at 19, on his first record, you can still tell he was 19.

Point is, open your mind, be analytical, etcetera.

http://www.myspace.com/heremakhetonline

wonluv
Charter member
4157 posts
Wed Dec-02-09 09:45 AM

5. "RE: Help a young MC out.... (reposted from "The Lesson")"
In response to Reply # 0

1) read
2) rhyme about everyday life...use your metaphors to paint that picture as uniquely as you can...

~sicknature~ My financial skills/discipline need Jesus. -J-Skivvy

****We need more Pharoahe Monch!!!****

HueyNewton
Member since Feb 27th 2005
1923 posts
Wed Dec-02-09 04:54 PM

6. "RE: Help a young MC out.... (reposted from "The Lesson")"
In response to Reply # 0

be like a sponge and absorb aLL you can in life . . {}

no cabs to brooklyn!
-xxx

they showed us phYsically, we could reach infinitY, but mentally, through the century, we lost our identitY
-Rakim

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Wed Dec-02-09 07:57 PM

7. "U Already Conquered Half The Problem ..."
In response to Reply # 0

>One problem I have with my writing is I lack depth of topics/storytelling ability/basic rhyming.

^Here^ you've already identified it.

If you're lacking depth, then you gotta dig deeper into topics that rise above the mediocre -- (the norm) ... *Read the Paper, Magazines, News Periodicals, World Events* -- Check on the Web and see what poppin' (((WORLDWIDE))) ... Not just the local gossip shyt*

Open your eyes to what's around you ... Sit on the bench at the mall and *people watch* ... keep a small notebook handy at all times -- and write down thoughts, ideas, visuals.

Be sure you got a Dictionary and/or a Thesaurus to help you later ... with basic rhyming ... (and spelling)

~ALSO~

Listen to a variety of styles. (CHECK ON YOUTUBE) ... You might have a very definite style in mind, but you can learn from every emcee. If you can rinse rhythms, beats & ideas from other sources, you might be able to bring something "new" to the scene rather than being an imitator of the big players.

*Chuckles* -- (Sez me -- One who don't even emcee)

(((Oh Well))) -- soundz good 2 me! --

A guitar string vibrating, a measure of my soul, a breech in the silence --
I've always felt like words come through me & I write them down... they have no master --- gsquared ♥

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/photosynthesis_music.htm

Kaedus
544 posts
Wed Dec-02-09 10:21 PM

8. "Yall droppin jewels on me haha"
In response to Reply # 7

Thanx yall, I'm takin it all in. I do alot of that stuff (reading, analyzing, people watching, etc.) already, I just havent transferred all that back over to my writing.

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Thu Dec-03-09 06:12 PM

9. "RE: Yall droppin jewels on me haha"
In response to Reply # 8

Okay ... so transferring ^allladat^ back ova to your writing is a start, right?

Truthfully, I think you ALREADY *know* whatcha need to do, you're just looking for a shortcut -- -- (hoping to "hear" something you haven't heard before ... something that's a no~brainer/quick fix) --

But I ain't mad atcha ... 18 yrs. old is still a "TEENAGER" in my book ... you got lots a' time to perfect your skills and get it right.

So here ya go: http://www.thestateofhiphop.com/rap-advice-1.html

http://www.thestateofhiphop.com/hip-hop-music-videos.html

http://www.thestateofhiphop.com/article-03-visitor-02.html

If you're serious about this ... it'll take time ... so just have patience ... and practice, practice, practice.

Come back and throw down what you've learned ... so we can critique it, aaiight? --

I've always felt like words come through me & I write them down... they have no master --- gsquared ♥

Kaedus
544 posts
Fri Dec-04-09 12:43 AM

10. "RE: Yall droppin jewels on me haha"
In response to Reply # 9

Thanx, I kinda am, or I was haha. When tha mixtape done(or @ least a couple songz) Ima post it up and let yall check it out.

WILDOUT
Charter member
2723 posts
Fri Dec-04-09 01:22 PM

14. "18 years old"
In response to Reply # 9

that's a teenager to you photo?
I had already dropped albums and books on this board by then
remember i just turned 23 last week

when i started out on okp I was 14

Not like I advertised that shit though

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Fri Dec-04-09 03:02 PM

17. "RE: 18 years old"
In response to Reply # 14

If you still got "TEEN" at the end of yo age: fifTEEN, sixTEEN, sevenTEEN, eightTEEN, nineTEEN -- then you're "still" a TEEN~AGER in my book!!! ... *Hell Yeah* --

Some mu'phuckers be thinkin' they grown and shit ... just cuz they did a little bitta' summthin'~sumthin' ... but still at home livin' with mom & dad ... ain't paying no bills ... got some minimum wage job (if any job) ... So you damn right, you're a TEENAGER til' you're TWENTY (20) ... (and you still ain't grown til' you're totally on your own) -- or at least TWENTY~ONE (21)!!!

Some fellas don't like that mindset, but even with livin' a hard life ... havin' to grow ^UP^ fast ... summma ya'll still got an immature "TEEN" mentality about a lotta shit! --

I ain't gon' lie ... we females can be immature too -- *No Doubt* -- But at 30+ yrs ... I call em' ... like I SEE em' now --

blak_yukon
Charter member
3901 posts
Fri Dec-04-09 01:22 AM

11. "just live..."
In response to Reply # 0

----------sig-----------

http://visceral-visuals.blogspot.com/

me and the fellas would converge and heat up some Hot Pockets in preparation for Rap City. Roc

dude, getting a response from the folks at freestyle is like watching water boil... Tek

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Dec-04-09 01:44 AM

12. "a few ideas"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Dec-04-09 01:46 AM by Jon

A
1.go to this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
2.look to the menu on the left, and click "random article"
3.read the article. investigate any related links/searches you want.
4.repeat often.
(if inspired to write, go for it, but its not necessary. you're building your database in ways you may not even realize.)

B
play topical games. help me get this board to start another topic tourney. shoot, go to the archives here and skim through the original topic tourney.

C
i created a new game/exercise last week that has really got my juices going. you'll need a friend/partner for this, but their job is so minimal and painless it shouldn't be hard to find someone.
:
1.ask them to give you a word, any word.
2.write a list of 5, 10, 16, 20 (however many you like) words or short phrases that rhyme with the word they gave you
3.ask them for a topic. you can specifically request out-of-the-ordinary if you're afraid they'll just give you "real love" or "thug shit"
4.using every word in that list, weave the given topic into those rhymes you created. you came up with the rhymes before knowing the topic, which automatically causes your noggin to discover more unique and uniquely-you angles.

ak_reborn
Member since Sep 24th 2005
1660 posts
Fri Dec-04-09 09:02 AM

13. "RE: a few ideas"
In response to Reply # 12

every rapper has a formula, a trademark, something to show for themselves, before you even hear jada, you know hes on a track, im not saying make gimmicks, but find suttin unique fam.

Secondly... the masses... if its exposure your going for... you need to stay relevent to where your coming from in some sense, you wouldnt hear souljah boy talking bout guns, cause that wern't his lifestyle, he didnt go through it, stay relevent, but keep your roots, cause without your history your not present.

the msot important of all.... listen to great songwriters, lyricists, how they structure, and write.... the more you write, the more you improve.

Intoxication, my voicebox rocks the nation
Sweet affiliation, the Doe Or Die situation - Az

WILDOUT
Charter member
2723 posts
Fri Dec-04-09 01:25 PM

15. "RE: a few ideas"
In response to Reply # 12

When I was a little younger then you (16) we used to get people to give us words for the first and last word in our freestyle and try to make them completely unrelated to eachother and then bring the flow from one point to the other in an innovative way

word games are definitely fun

PLAY SCRABBLE
I dabble in dat yo
once your like 500 points in you know youve made it
lol

DeCisive
Member since Feb 18th 2004
1985 posts
Fri Dec-04-09 02:17 PM

16. "RE: Help a young MC out.... (reposted from "The Lesson")"
In response to Reply # 0

To improve your delivery... you have to learn to use your diaphragm. Also, listen to R&B music... learn the words sing along to train your voice and expand the range of your cadence. Singers go up and down in their vocal range.

I find its better to actualize who you are. Meaning when you write a song, write it as if someone is listening to it. Make sure that they can understand and relate to it. The same as if you were talking to a close friend.

Sometimes I write songs with the same concept as essays from class assignments. Thesis, Main point, supporting detail, climax, and closer. When you can do that concisely, yet vividly, without being impersonal... then you have found a rhythm and have a solid foundation.

The art of emceeing is centered in an ability to connect with people and/or the crowd. Its much more then being able to use dope metaphors and braggadocio. While those are rap skills they don't necessarily translate into emcee skills. Most don't want to hear rap songs about rapping. You have to learn to sprinkle that in like seasoning on a dish you preparing... feel me?

~Complex with the creative content on a conquest with concepts and context as concrete as poetry
~Its real and ill when I be sitting still yet still rocking to my mental rhythme.
~Its just right when I write

http://www.myspace.com/decisive147

Kaedus
544 posts
Fri Dec-04-09 03:12 PM

18. "RE: Help a young MC out.... (reposted from "The Lesson")"
In response to Reply # 16

>When you can do that concisely, yet
>vividly, without being impersonal...

That is what I think is my biggest flaw. I've gotten real emotional on tracks (mainly about my ex-flame) and itz gone over real well but I havent been able 2 write anything else that I was that emotionally connected 2. If I develop a connection on a level past an intellectual one with my writing, then I should improve. I think :/

blak_yukon
Charter member
3901 posts
Fri Dec-04-09 03:58 PM

19. "YUKON MAGAZINE: SIR WILLIAM DOESIT SPEAKS"
In response to Reply # 0

YM: can you-teach somebody how to emcee? can that be taught?

SWD: i dunno man...i mean...rhymin is more of an independent study
cause if someone teach you something, then all you know is what you learned from them
so at that point, you are a replicate now you can venture out and eventually change that but learning from someone else is kinda a cheap shot...

YM: true...true

SWD: i ain't totally against it, Jay Z had Jaz O...so it can be benificial
but ultimately, there will be someone who can say "i taught him everything he knows" and have some truth to it depends if you can live with that or not...

YM:mmm

SWD: you know in this rappin stuff ego and image...aint too many of us feelin that

*there ya have it,folks
----------sig-----------

http://visceral-visuals.blogspot.com/

me and the fellas would converge and heat up some Hot Pockets in preparation for Rap City. Roc

dude, getting a response from the folks at freestyle is like watching water boil... Tek

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Dec-04-09 04:04 PM

20. "imo, that ego shit is the reason why rap is still embryonic."
In response to Reply # 19
Fri Dec-04-09 04:05 PM by Jon

there's absolutely nothing wrong with having peers and/or more experienced cats to learn things from, bounce things off of, etc.

people aren't vacuums. there's no reason why sharing ideas, techniques, and tips with each other has to = turning into each other. that only happens when people take their ideas/techniques/tips and start preaching them as rules.

if every guitarist is so consumed with never asking another guitarist how to improve or do xyz, then we'd all be missing out on a lot of great music and progression.

without yoda and obiwan, there'd never be a luke skywalker to save the galaxy.

ak_reborn
Member since Sep 24th 2005
1660 posts
Fri Dec-04-09 06:18 PM

21. "RE: imo, that ego shit is the reason why rap is still embryonic."
In response to Reply # 20

on saying that fam, rap was built on alot of battles, so its kind of the essence, it keeps that competitive spark in it.

Intoxication, my voicebox rocks the nation
Sweet affiliation, the Doe Or Die situation - Az

Zin
Member since Jan 21st 2004
2972 posts
Sat Dec-05-09 06:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
22. "here's what you shouldn't do "
In response to Reply # 0

Listen and try to do what everybody in this post has told you to do >>if you do then you just become another regular mc in the game

what you should do is breathe... break up ... bump your knee in other words live ... then drag ya nuts across it .... then spit it how you feel it>>> because it's art there's no wrong way to do it and either the masses gonna feel it or they are not ....

Mixtape should not be about topics ... unless you just giving 16 on a topic >>sorry the industry is saying 12 bars now ...you shouldn't be writing for mixtape verses you should hear the track spaz and record.

like du said it okay to use a style here and there but it really all comes back to you dragging ya nuts on the track and doing it how you feel

sig.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guess who's Back

Pit Bull
Member since Oct 23rd 2006
422 posts
Sat Dec-05-09 11:10 AM

23. "RE: Help a young MC out.... (reposted from "The Lesson")"
In response to Reply # 0

A lotta people giving advice here. Many of them have more experience (read: WILDOUT, yukon) or practice much more frequently than me (ak_reborn, empro), but I had the same problem you did. I still do to a degree, but anyway, here's my thoughts.

On Delivery: Listen to artists you like. And not just ones you like, but specifically ones who's voices you like. Sing along in the car, try to hit their inflections and rhythm. Once you get to know the song, drop it to yourself. It looks weird, sometimes people will look at you funny, but its important to do it with no music around so you can consolidate what you hear in the song you like, and how your own voice sounds too- if only done WITH the song playing, you'll discover that your brain will autocorrect the sound coming out of your mouth. Pick several artists with different styles and sounds. For me, this helped me pick little things I liked from each and make them my own, and the diversity and a touch of my natural emotion gave me my own unique sound (which made it worth the funny looks of a whiteboy spitting the low, gravelly voice of a DMX)

On Topics: The only thing I can say here is that this is some frightening shit, especially if the depth comes not from a romantic interest or ex. Its terrifying to open up your soul and let the world look at you for what you really are, but you're never going to get the resonance you want if you don't. Don't try to replicate it when you sit down to write- wait until you have some powerful emotion. When you see something about a little girl getting raped/murdered, a church being burned down, the death toll in Afghanistan, a friend in the hospital, whatever it is that makes you really FEEL something- take out your notebook and get at least a little verse in. If its good enough, when you have time to come back and really write, what you have in that verse will help you tap into what you were feeling at the time. And if you can FORCE yourself to be open and honest, you'll see that depth and realness you were looking for.

Thats all the advice I can give. It took me years to finally do any of it, to really open up and write about shit that was true to myself, and it took desperation and heartbreak and depression in my personal life to do it. If that helps, cool, if not, well... you'll get there sometime as long as you keep living and keep tryin.

"What is done in love always takes place beyond good and evil." -- Nietzsche

Lobby Freestyle Board topic #83663 Previous topic | Next topic